The only appropriate amp for Grado's that Schiit makes is the Asgard...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 1/3/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- productGrado iGrado Blacktagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado RS1i Reference Series Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 3/9/11
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13More
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question For All "GradoHolics" Last post on 7/20/12 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- How bright are Grados? Last post on 7/20/13 at 3:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Newbies first (and second) Proper Headphone Demo Last post on 11/1/13 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grados Questions Last post on 12/20/12 at 11:11am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Grado Fan Club! - Page 582post #8716 of 111008/17/13 at 7:08pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #8717 of 111008/17/13 at 7:08pmQuote:
Did you buy one? I would be very careful with that amp and low impedance/highly efficient headphones like Grados, Denons, or especially Ultrasones.post #8718 of 111008/17/13 at 7:15pmpost #8719 of 111008/17/13 at 7:17pm
Not sure if some of the newer members are aware of Mapletree amps. The MAD Ear+HD is the king of the heap for driving Grados IMHO. Dr. Peppard (here in Canada and just down the QEW from Toronto) is a class act. For about $700 new or $450ish used I think they are totally worth it if you're a Grado fan.post #8720 of 111008/17/13 at 7:39pmQuote:
I hope you'll post an unboxing videopost #8721 of 111008/17/13 at 7:48pmQuote:
and i'd almost gotten the asgard 2 before, but wanted tubes,
i was HYPNOTIZED !! lol
any way, now , i got 1 amp/dac(explorer), 2 tube amps, and the fiio i better get rid of, or i'll be in Trouble <----see the capital T lolpost #8722 of 111008/17/13 at 8:24pmQuote:
I just looked it up, 6 watts @ 32 ohms... yikes!post #8723 of 111008/17/13 at 8:29pmpost #8724 of 111008/17/13 at 8:58pmpost #8725 of 111008/17/13 at 11:21pm
Yep, just plugging these bad boys right into the headphone jack. It's funny cause a while back I had mentioned this and someone told me that it was a Wolfson DAC that was inside the Kindle Fire. That was a big reason why I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Meier Daccord, cause there have been two or three times where I had no idea what chip a particular piece of gear was using, but would mention on a forum how good I felt it sounded just by itself. Then others would point out that it was a Wolfson.
But yeah, it always completely amazes me how good both my Grado 500s and my Beyer 1350s sound directly from the Kindle Fire jack...far, far better than I would have ever guessed before I heard it.post #8726 of 111008/17/13 at 11:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by MacedonianHero
Not sure if some of the newer members are aware of Mapletree amps. The MAD Ear+HD is the king of the heap for driving Grados IMHO. Dr. Peppard (here in Canada and just down the QEW from Toronto) is a class act. For about $700 new or $450ish used I think they are totally worth it if you're a Grado fan.
Dr P is the man!!
His little Line 2ASE preamp that I bought years ago gave me a ton of enjoyment. If I ever decide to upgrade from my Little Dot for my Grados, Dr P will get the business for sure.post #8727 of 111008/17/13 at 11:40pm
the PS1000s just might end up being keepers. just rolled some tubes on my WA6-SE and they sound great now!
seems like what they need is a really colored warm sounding tube amp.post #8728 of 111008/18/13 at 12:05amQuote:
This confirms my plan to upgrade to a Mapletree amp if I ever went with the PS1000s.post #8729 of 111008/18/13 at 12:08amQuote:
get the tubiest most rolled off slow thick lush sounding amp you can get. thats what they need. until i used my Brimar 5R4GY, i didn't like them. now they sound like an RS1i, but with more detail and better soundstage.post #8730 of 111008/18/13 at 12:46amQuote:
See this is a big reason why I rely on your feedback for some of the stuff I can't or haven't done myself. A lot of people would have just given up on the PS1ks and then come on head-fi and crapped all over them. You have no only been diligent in your evaluation, but you've been candid along the way, positive or negative. That feedback is invaluable to someone like me.
I have a very cool Grado dealer here locally who likes taking in audio gear on trade. I have a few items that I may be looking to move, and so I was thinking the PS1000s may be involved in the trade discussions. Thankfully he's awesome about always letting me audition anything I want to hear before I purchase, but I feel like I have a head start on making sure they sound their best since you're doing such a great job documenting your experience with them.
It also reminds me why I love tubed gear so much...tube rolling is a blast, and it's an amazing feeling when you find the right match for a particular headphone. Good times!
- Grado Fan Club!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Critique this headphone amp design? 1 minute ago
- › NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!! 1 minute ago
- › So, I'm looking for that perfect amp... 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › Auzentech X-fi Bravura 7.1 Sneak Peek 1 minute ago
- › My Beautiful Speaker Experience 2 minutes ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Audez'e LCD-2 Rosewood w/10' Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3... 3 minutes ago
- › Help me replace my Equation Audio RP21's 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe