or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 582

post #8716 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post

Dubstep Girl....Is the 5ft. cord on the PS1000 a pain in the butt ?

 

I would think the grado 15ft. extention cable would help the comfort of those quite a bit.

 

The weight is basically what concerns me about getting the PS1000.

 

The 15 ft. extention cable even took my already comfortable RS1i to another level.......I can hardly tell I have them on my head.

 

Anyway, I also love hearing your impressions of the PS100.....I have the PS500 on my radar.

 

I really wish they made the PS500 as "chomies" though....I love the chrome look.


ps500, wise choice!! have mine on right now

post #8717 of 26925
I figured out why the PS500s weren't sounding great compared to the RS1 and AD2KX. I never noticed before but I never really used the PS500 much with my LD MKIII. With the beefed up tubes (6H30Pi) the MKIII/PS500 combo has just too mch mid bass and warmth. When comparing the PS500 against the AD2KX and RS1 using a Fiio e10 and e17 they faired much better. And without any EQ they sounded better to me through the e17 than the other two. One combo I did not like was the ibasso p3+ and AD2kx, way too clean and lean in the low end.
post #8718 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

I figured out why the PS500s weren't sounding great compared to the RS1 and AD2KX. I never noticed before but I never really used the PS500 much with my LD MKIII. With the beefed up tubes (6H30Pi) the MKIII/PS500 combo has just too mch mid bass and warmth. When comparing the PS500 against the AD2KX and RS1 using a Fiio e10 and e17 they faired much better. And without any EQ they sounded better to me through the e17 than the other two. One combo I did not like was the ibasso p3+ and AD2kx, way too clean and lean in the low end.


coming to head fi, from hi-fi, it goes against my "learned" attitude toward EQing , "the purest, most direct path is the only, or best path"

but i can really see that being able to tame, or bring up a certain frequency range could really be a good thing, EQing may be on the horizon for me

post #8719 of 26925
Nothing wrong with EQ in my opinion. But I'm only using a minimal bass boost on the e17 with the AD2KX. I don't understand the whole no EQ thing, I could spend time and money to find a more bass heavy amp, or I could push one button on my existing amp and achieve the same thing.
Edited by bassboysam - 8/18/13 at 6:11am
post #8720 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


shaun and alan are great folks ! i first visited them not long after they opened, they've bought from me(and very fair) more than i've bought from them, i've turned a few friends onto them, they've really grown since those early days. after i moved from macon to helen, every trip home, i'd make two stops in the neighborhood, them, and the varsity on jimmy carter

 

Wow, small world! I actually got married in Helen...Anna Ruby Falls. 

 

I haven't met Shaun yet, but Alan is great, I agree. When I went to pick up my GS1ks, we hung out in one of the listening rooms where he had some of the top of the line Vandersteen speakers. We fired up some vinyl, and then he was showing me how into the network streaming thing they were. He let me hang out in there with the iPad, just bounding from track to track and enjoying some tunes. It was a lot of fun. 

 

He pretty much sold me on buying any future Grados from him after I asked him if he had the PS1000s to demo. He said he didn't at the time, but "anything you ever want to audition, I will get for you". I'm more than happy to support his business any chance I get...I really appreciate the customer service there. 

post #8721 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Wow, small world! I actually got married in Helen...Anna Ruby Falls. 

 

I haven't met Shaun yet, but Alan is great, I agree. When I went to pick up my GS1ks, we hung out in one of the listening rooms where he had some of the top of the line Vandersteen speakers. We fired up some vinyl, and then he was showing me how into the network streaming thing they were. He let me hang out in there with the iPad, just bounding from track to track and enjoying some tunes. It was a lot of fun. 

 

He pretty much sold me on buying any future Grados from him after I asked him if he had the PS1000s to demo. He said he didn't at the time, but "anything you ever want to audition, I will get for you". I'm more than happy to support his business any chance I get...I really appreciate the customer service there. 


we talked about helen before, when i first kinda started joining in the conversation here, i worked at the hampton there for years

a good dealer is great, they learn what you like, and don't really try to "sell" you, just point you in a direction, let the gear sell itself

post #8722 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post

Dubstep Girl....Is the 5ft. cord on the PS1000 a pain in the butt ?

 

I would think the grado 15ft. extention cable would help the comfort of those quite a bit.

 

The weight is basically what concerns me about getting the PS1000.

 

The 15 ft. extention cable even took my already comfortable RS1i to another level.......I can hardly tell I have them on my head.

 

Anyway, I also love hearing your impressions of the PS1000.....I have the PS500 on my radar.

 

I really wish they made the PS500 as "chomies" though....I love the chrome look.

 

yeah its a little annoying, 1 feet longer would of been perfect (like my other headphones). 

 

works though, but i have been using the extension cable, same thing i did when i used to own SR325is (the grado rs1i i used to own had a longer cable cause they where the older thinner cable).

 

they aren't that uncomfortable, but if you feel they are too heavy, u can always go for the GS1000 which are some of the most comfortable headphones out there, they weigh nothing, they feel so lightweight its impressive.

 

and yeah i would be more willing to try ps500 if they where chromies like 325is and PS1000 (though grado must of felt that chrome 325 was too expensive so they switched back to the ugly version).

post #8723 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


coming to head fi, from hi-fi, it goes against my "learned" attitude toward EQing , "the purest, most direct path is the only, or best path"

but i can really see that being able to tame, or bring up a certain frequency range could really be a good thing, EQing may be on the horizon for me

I come from the same camp.  And another camp.  I've done a lot of camping!

 

Yes- the purest signal is the direct path.  Objectivist/science biased audio enthusiasts tend to forget that there is more than one scientific discipline. You can have the most perfectly designed system in the world, ruler-flat response, exquisite perfection in time and phase, and absolute certainty that what goes into the rig comes out of the rig.  Put the headphones on, and game over, because individual hearing response is NOT ruler-flat, and is affected by so many different factors it would take a book to document.

 

EQ'ing, done with learning, experience, and skill can really accomplish improvement in just about everything.  Oh, and it's really cheap vs. the rest of the stuff we buy.  I myself use it very, very sparingly in home audio.

 

Again, this is why Grado appeal to me, because their response characteristics are very close to human hearing tendencies at low to moderate volume.  It could be because they are voiced by ear...

post #8724 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

yeah its a little annoying, 1 feet longer would of been perfect (like my other headphones). 

 

 (though grado must of felt that chrome 325 was too expensive so they switched back to the ugly version).

The big 8 conductor cable is a quite a bit heavier than the thinner cable. I wonder if that is why Grado is cutting them a little shorter.

I do notice that the 325is feels heavier than my vintage 325 with the small cable.

 

The problem with the chrome was also consistency and quality control as much as cost. 

post #8725 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Not sure if some of the newer members are aware of Mapletree amps. The MAD Ear+HD is the king of the heap for driving Grados IMHO. Dr. Peppard (here in Canada and just down the QEW from Toronto) is a class act. For about $700 new or $450ish used I think they are totally worth it if you're a Grado fan.

Dr. P makes wonderful headphone amps for Grados. 

Interestingly he voices them on HD650s so they actually work great with any dynamic can!

It's not even that he's making amps designed for Grados, he's just making great amps.

I had a Super 2, but I'd get the Ear+HD in a minute if I wanted tubes again...

 

AppleMark

post #8726 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


and i'd almost gotten the asgard 2 before, but wanted tubes,
i was HYPNOTIZED !! lol

any way, now , i got 1 amp/dac(explorer), 2 tube amps, and the fiio i better get rid of, or i'll be in Trouble <----see the capital T lol

Yeah-but you got the LD 1+. The LD 1+ and Asg-2 were my final choices. I would have loved to have heard both before purchasing. I've often wondered how the tube sound of the LD1+ would compare to the A-2 in a direct comparison. My sense is that for the price point of good entry level amps that match well w/ Grados it's a bit of apples and oranges and you probably can't go wrong with either. Do  you want a Labrador retriever or a German Sheppard as a family pet? Both different, but both great dogs.

post #8727 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Yeah-but you got the LD 1+. The LD 1+ and Asg-2 were my final choices. I would have loved to have heard both before purchasing. I've often wondered how the tube sound of the LD1+ would compare to the A-2 in a direct comparison. My sense is that for the price point of good entry level amps that match well w/ Grados it's a bit of apples and oranges and you probably can't go wrong with either. Do  you want a Labrador retriever or a German Sheppard as a family pet? Both different, but both great dogs.


i haven't been able to hear any of this stuff i have, i'm just winging it ! lol,

post #8728 of 26925

was just checking out audiostream's review of the itube pre-buffer thing-a-ma-bob, not really on topic other than i like my grado's

served with tubes !

in it michael quotes a study:

 

"Why tube? iFi references a study by Jürgen Ackermann for the Frankfurt University of Music and Performing Arts where 50 participants took part in a blind listening study listening to a tube and a solid state system. The results showed the participants felt the tube system improved their overall level of enjoyment by 187% where the solid state system made 30% of participants feel worse after listening."

 

happy, happy, happy lol

post #8729 of 26925
I have a question in regards to the mesh (cheese cloth) over the drivers (sr60, not i). I love reading all the comments in the forums, but not enough time to read all.

Some remove the cloth and some don't. Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality that is worth potential debris entering? Or, is that a subjective question like, "what's the best headphone for...?"
post #8730 of 26925
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiaosu View Post

I have a question in regards to the mesh (cheese cloth) over the drivers (sr60, not i). I love reading all the comments in the forums, but not enough time to read all.

Some remove the cloth and some don't. Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality that is worth potential debris entering? Or, is that a subjective question like, "what's the best headphone for...?"

You should NOT remove the cheesecloth!


Edited by parbaked - 8/18/13 at 10:43am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!