- 883 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 1/3/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- productGrado iGrado Blacktagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado RS1i Reference Series Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 3/9/11
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13More
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question For All "GradoHolics" Last post on 7/20/12 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- How bright are Grados? Last post on 9/23/14 at 7:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Newbies first (and second) Proper Headphone Demo Last post on 11/1/13 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grados Questions Last post on 12/20/12 at 11:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
Specs; Deep bass sound reproduction with 50mm Neodymium driver unit and ring port structure- cans need 50-100 hours burn-in Ring port structure provides high-quality dynamic sound- it is...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
AKG K3003 is an important milestone in the development of IEM. It’s THE FIRST universal fit IEM that successfully combines dynamic driver and balance armature technology together. After owning them...
Had this little player for sometime now recently purchased the X1 and comparing them both im still sold on the DX50 although I still like my X1 but I still find the sound seperation on the DX50...
- Grado Modification Overview
Grado Fan Club! - Page 562
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yeah. I feel like I'm stuck between the different Grado presentations. It's going to boil down to trying all the different versions I guess. THAT's going to have to wait until after I graduate around the first of the year though.
In the meantime I can listen vicariously through this thread!
i compared the he400 and ps500 side by side not long ago. i preferred the ps500. the he400 goes lower but the soundstage is too wide for me and it's not quite as alive as the ps500. treble response was about the same but the mids sound like they are more recessed in the HE400.
Does the HE 500 win over the PS500 or RS1 IYO? Those are among my short list for an upgrade to my 225 at some point.....
never tried the HE500 so i can't say. however i found the HE400 very uncomfortable to wear. it just didn't fit me right. if the HE500 is the same then I'd say the Grados win simply because i wouldn't be abe to wear the hifimans.
for me there is no getting used to the HE400. they sat too low on my ears were way too heavy. couldn't move my head at all without them sliding off. it's too bad because i like the sound and they would have complimented the grados very well. got a pair of Audio Technica AD2000x on the way I'm very curious how they will compare.
They really are a great pair together. I really wish I could keep both. I miss the ps500s already.
i believe i'm gonna make a trip to a grado dealer in nashville before i run out and buy the 500, i have a gibson mandolin i need to take up there to get appraised so that would make a nice little day trip
Excellent... I've got dibs on them when you go to PS1000s eventually
ps500 is a great headphone that works well with a lot of setups and music. i'm spending a lot of time with a classic RS1 this weekend and they are not as bright as i originally thought and the bass is sufficient. it's the overall presentation and the separation if instruments that reallt blows me away. the PS500 can't match the RS1 in those departments in my opinion.
Well I have both and the PS500s I like better than the RS-1is I have. My experience was sort of the opposite of yours. I found the bass too much on the RS-1i and the highs cleaner on the PS500s.
oh i already had a buyer set for the ms2's, there is a ms2 on the for sale thread actually a couple, but one is in europe or australlia or something, but there is one in the US for $200, thats a good deal
Honestly, it doesn’t measure that bad. It’s not clean like an HD800 or LCD2, of course, but it doesn’t have as many wild peaks and has better square wave responses than the RS1 (and PS1000, FWIW).
For someone like me who has listened to a lot of headphones and seen a lot of graphs so I can figure out approximately what something should sound like (or whether it would be too dark, bright or boomy for my taste) based on some graphs, the sound and measurements are not out of whack.
And, yeah, I really like the PS500. Not my favorite headphones ever but they do a pretty good job toning down the typical wildness of the Grado sound while keeping the core of it intact.
I like the PS500s much better than the LCD2 or the HD800s, the latter has a midrange suckout like most Senns. The LCD3 is really awesome though.
well i have an old RS1 and not an RS1i, that might explain it.
i spent most of the day with the RS1 and it's not as bright as i initially thought and i rarely came across a recording that sounded too bright. the midrange on the RS1 really is as good as everyone says. very smooth and not spikey or harsh. the bass is deeper than i thought it would be and never overbearing, which the PS500 can be. two great headphones really. i can't really choose between the two so I'm keeping both for now...but it might be permanent.
One tasteful wrap of electrical tape, and the 225i's sound like different cans. I have to admit, I really thought that the modifications, especially the tape-mod, were exaggerations. I guess I've come across so much group-think snake oil over the years that I was jaded, to say the least.
Anyway, I just spent some quality time with the modded cans, playing source material that was painfully harsh just the other day. The mod really did smooth things out- much more than I thought it would. It also brings out a tad more bass extension, and some nice resonance on bass drums.
I'm really impressed.
OK, back to the cans before work
- Grado Fan Club!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced... 17 seconds ago
- › Synergistic Research "Atmosphere" 33 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread 35 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 59 seconds ago
- › Replacement for Etymotic hf3 -- or just get another pair? 1 minute ago
- › Seattle Meet 12/06/14 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 4 minutes ago
- › x3 - Freeze while playing 4 minutes ago
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)