- 337 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Location: Ottawa ON, Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 1/3/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- productGrado iGrado Blacktagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado RS1i Reference Series Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 3/9/11
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13More
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question For All "GradoHolics" Last post on 7/20/12 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- How bright are Grados? Last post on 7/20/13 at 3:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Newbies first (and second) Proper Headphone Demo Last post on 11/1/13 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grados Questions Last post on 12/20/12 at 11:11am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
Grado Fan Club! - Page 562post #8416 of 110898/4/13 at 6:50amps500 is a great headphone that works well with a lot of setups and music. i'm spending a lot of time with a classic RS1 this weekend and they are not as bright as i originally thought and the bass is sufficient. it's the overall presentation and the separation if instruments that reallt blows me away. the PS500 can't match the RS1 in those departments in my opinion.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #8417 of 110898/4/13 at 9:27am
Yeah. I feel like I'm stuck between the different Grado presentations. It's going to boil down to trying all the different versions I guess. THAT's going to have to wait until after I graduate around the first of the year though.
In the meantime I can listen vicariously through this thread!post #8418 of 110898/4/13 at 9:50amQuote:Originally Posted by bassboysam
i compared the he400 and ps500 side by side not long ago. i preferred the ps500. the he400 goes lower but the soundstage is too wide for me and it's not quite as alive as the ps500. treble response was about the same but the mids sound like they are more recessed in the HE400.
Does the HE 500 win over the PS500 or RS1 IYO? Those are among my short list for an upgrade to my 225 at some point.....post #8419 of 110898/4/13 at 10:27amQuote:
never tried the HE500 so i can't say. however i found the HE400 very uncomfortable to wear. it just didn't fit me right. if the HE500 is the same then I'd say the Grados win simply because i wouldn't be abe to wear the hifimans.post #8420 of 110898/4/13 at 10:59amThe he400 definitely take a little getting used to in regards to comfort. They are bulky and slightly heavy for a headphone. The ps500s are for sure lighter and less bulky. Although, the ps500s can get a little irritating because they mostly sit on your ear. On the other hand, the hifiman can get hot and sticky with the stock pleather pads.post #8421 of 110898/4/13 at 4:15pmfor me there is no getting used to the HE400. they sat too low on my ears were way too heavy. couldn't move my head at all without them sliding off. it's too bad because i like the sound and they would have complimented the grados very well. got a pair of Audio Technica AD2000x on the way I'm very curious how they will compare.post #8422 of 110898/4/13 at 4:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by bassboysam
for me there is no getting used to the HE400. they sat too low on my ears were way too heavy. couldn't move my head at all without them sliding off. it's too bad because i like the sound and they would have complimented the grados very well. got a pair of Audio Technica AD2000x on the way I'm very curious how they will compare.
They really are a great pair together. I really wish I could keep both. I miss the ps500s already.post #8423 of 110898/4/13 at 6:40pm
i believe i'm gonna make a trip to a grado dealer in nashville before i run out and buy the 500, i have a gibson mandolin i need to take up there to get appraised so that would make a nice little day trip
post #8424 of 110898/4/13 at 6:50pmQuote:
Excellent... I've got dibs on them when you go to PS1000s eventuallypost #8425 of 110898/4/13 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by bassboysam
ps500 is a great headphone that works well with a lot of setups and music. i'm spending a lot of time with a classic RS1 this weekend and they are not as bright as i originally thought and the bass is sufficient. it's the overall presentation and the separation if instruments that reallt blows me away. the PS500 can't match the RS1 in those departments in my opinion.
Well I have both and the PS500s I like better than the RS-1is I have. My experience was sort of the opposite of yours. I found the bass too much on the RS-1i and the highs cleaner on the PS500s.post #8426 of 110898/4/13 at 7:00pmQuote:
oh i already had a buyer set for the ms2's, there is a ms2 on the for sale thread actually a couple, but one is in europe or australlia or something, but there is one in the US for $200, thats a good dealpost #8427 of 110898/4/13 at 7:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by LCfiner
Honestly, it doesn’t measure that bad. It’s not clean like an HD800 or LCD2, of course, but it doesn’t have as many wild peaks and has better square wave responses than the RS1 (and PS1000, FWIW).
For someone like me who has listened to a lot of headphones and seen a lot of graphs so I can figure out approximately what something should sound like (or whether it would be too dark, bright or boomy for my taste) based on some graphs, the sound and measurements are not out of whack.
And, yeah, I really like the PS500. Not my favorite headphones ever but they do a pretty good job toning down the typical wildness of the Grado sound while keeping the core of it intact.
I like the PS500s much better than the LCD2 or the HD800s, the latter has a midrange suckout like most Senns. The LCD3 is really awesome though.post #8428 of 110898/4/13 at 7:32pmQuote:
well i have an old RS1 and not an RS1i, that might explain it.
i spent most of the day with the RS1 and it's not as bright as i initially thought and i rarely came across a recording that sounded too bright. the midrange on the RS1 really is as good as everyone says. very smooth and not spikey or harsh. the bass is deeper than i thought it would be and never overbearing, which the PS500 can be. two great headphones really. i can't really choose between the two so I'm keeping both for now...but it might be permanent.post #8429 of 110898/5/13 at 4:32am
One tasteful wrap of electrical tape, and the 225i's sound like different cans. I have to admit, I really thought that the modifications, especially the tape-mod, were exaggerations. I guess I've come across so much group-think snake oil over the years that I was jaded, to say the least.
Anyway, I just spent some quality time with the modded cans, playing source material that was painfully harsh just the other day. The mod really did smooth things out- much more than I thought it would. It also brings out a tad more bass extension, and some nice resonance on bass drums.
I'm really impressed.
OK, back to the cans before workpost #8430 of 110898/6/13 at 11:48am
- Grado Fan Club!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 54 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW ATH-ES700.. 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Need help buying $50 portable headphones for EDM/Techno/Dubstep 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › The Hobbit Movie Thread (and anything else related to Lord of the... 3 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 6 minutes ago
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe