Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 561

post #8401 of 20441
The ps500 sounds a lot better then it measures lol
post #8402 of 20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

The ps500 sounds a lot better then it measures lol

Honestly, it doesn’t measure that bad. It’s not clean like an HD800 or LCD2, of course, but it doesn’t have as many wild peaks and has better square wave responses than the RS1 (and PS1000, FWIW).

For someone like me who has listened to a lot of headphones and seen a lot of graphs so I can figure out approximately what something should sound like (or whether it would be too dark, bright or boomy for my taste) based on some graphs, the sound and measurements are not out of whack.

And, yeah, I really like the PS500. Not my favorite headphones ever but they do a pretty good job toning down the typical wildness of the Grado sound while keeping the core of it intact.
post #8403 of 20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Don't be, I thought you may have been joking, but your right sometimes its hard to tell how a statement is coming across in text. Its all good! Last night I switched back to the (L) cushions for a couple of hours and enjoyed the clarity and the detail better than with the (S) cushions, and the soundstage, but still the (S) cushions aren't as bad as most people say IMO. I'm actually going to quarter (half dollar mod in my case) my (S) cushions, because they are comfortable and the drivers won't be blocked by any fabric, so they will be more revealing, I gave the modded pair I used to own to a friend, who's (L) cushions dried up.

The mod still does not provide the soundstage that the L-cush has though.

post #8404 of 20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

Honestly, it doesn’t measure that bad. It’s not clean like an HD800 or LCD2, of course, but it doesn’t have as many wild peaks and has better square wave responses than the RS1 (and PS1000, FWIW).

For someone like me who has listened to a lot of headphones and seen a lot of graphs so I can figure out approximately what something should sound like (or whether it would be too dark, bright or boomy for my taste) based on some graphs, the sound and measurements are not out of whack.

And, yeah, I really like the PS500. Not my favorite headphones ever but they do a pretty good job toning down the typical wildness of the Grado sound while keeping the core of it intact.

yup, exactly my thoughts. i really enjoy my PS500 with a wide variety of music.
Edited by bassboysam - 8/3/13 at 7:40pm
post #8405 of 20441

after having read everyones thoughts and checking out headrooms "lab"

the 500 sounds very appealing, it seems like it might be similar to the ms2

i really need to go up to nashville and hear it some of the other grado's i haven't heard !

post #8406 of 20441

I heard the PS500 today. I definitely enjoy it a lot more than the RS2i that I had. The RS2i was a bit bright for my preferences and the PS500 was enjoyable in a similar way to the HE400 I used to have. It certainly had a nice feel for Doom Metal and other darker styles of aggressive music. If I were to ever pick up a Grado again this would be it, but the LCD2 and Mad Dog hold down the dark headphone catergory for me. The PS500 had a better soundstage than the other Grados to my ears, more relaxed and less in your face. Thick mid bass tilt which give a phat bottom end to guitars but didn't have the in your face upper mids and treble.

 

Not sure if I would prefer it to the HE400 or not, couldn't do a side by side having sold the HE400.

post #8407 of 20441
i compared the he400 and ps500 side by side not long ago. i preferred the ps500. the he400 goes lower but the soundstage is too wide for me and it's not quite as alive as the ps500. treble response was about the same but the mids sound like they are more recessed in the HE400.
post #8408 of 20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

after having read everyones thoughts and checking out headrooms "lab"

the 500 sounds very appealing, it seems like it might be similar to the ms2

i really need to go up to nashville and hear it some of the other grado's i haven't heard !

Its a bassier and smoother version of an MS2i from what I auditioned. The midbass bump in the PS500 is quite prominent for a grado.

post #8409 of 20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Its a bassier and smoother version of an MS2i from what I auditioned. The midbass bump in the PS500 is quite prominent for a grado.

Actually I find the mid bass hump on the PS1000 bigger.

post #8410 of 20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Its a bassier and smoother version of an MS2i from what I auditioned. The midbass bump in the PS500 is quite prominent for a grado.


wow, smoother than the ms2, that smoothness is one of the reasons i let the 225 go even though i really liked it, the ms2 is was smoother, but still has the detail i like

post #8411 of 20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

The mod still does not provide the soundstage that the L-cush has though.

Yes I understand this, I stated that above. I definitly prefer the (L) cushions out of all the grade cushions on my 80i's and my 325is's, but the quarter modded (S) cushion brings the mid-range right upfront, which is pretty intimate, being that the driver is closer to the ears, makes you feel like your right on stage.


Edited by joseph69 - 8/3/13 at 11:08pm
post #8412 of 20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

after having read everyones thoughts and checking out headrooms "lab"

the 500 sounds very appealing, it seems like it might be similar to the ms2

i really need to go up to nashville and hear it some of the other grado's i haven't heard !

These were my exact thoughts after have owning the MS2i's and reading the posts based on the sound signature of the PS500. So I know you own the MS2i's, so to me sounds like you have a very, very close sound (all though I've never hear the PS500) for a couple of hundred dollars less from how these posts are describing them.  

post #8413 of 20441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leliana View Post

I heard the PS500 today. I definitely enjoy it a lot more than the RS2i that I had. The RS2i was a bit bright for my preferences and the PS500 was enjoyable in a similar way to the HE400 I used to have. It certainly had a nice feel for Doom Metal and other darker styles of aggressive music. If I were to ever pick up a Grado again this would be it, but the LCD2 and Mad Dog hold down the dark headphone catergory for me. The PS500 had a better soundstage than the other Grados to my ears, more relaxed and less in your face. Thick mid bass tilt which give a phat bottom end to guitars but didn't have the in your face upper mids and treble.

Not sure if I would prefer it to the HE400 or not, couldn't do a side by side having sold the HE400.

I gave up the ps500 for the he400. So far, I have no regret. I like the more open soundstage and slightly less in your face presentation. Although, I do think I would like to own a pair of the ps500s again in the future.
post #8414 of 20441

I am currently saving for a pair of PS500.

 

I sure wish they made them in chromies though.

post #8415 of 20441
so seems like everybody's 'poisoned' with PS500 xD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!