Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 547

post #8191 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

Thanks, same here buddy, i find your posts, informative, objective and respectful, wich, as you know, is not always a given here on Head-Fi, especially when we venture out of the Grado fan club shelter.

 

To be honest, i have thought about getting a more expensive amp. Some might say that the Little Dot +1 is not enough amp for the 1000 family, but ever since i've heard how awesome my SR80i's sound with the L-cush, straight from the headphone output of my vintage Marantz 2220B reciever, I'm not sure that investing a lot more, would net me, much better sound.

 

Amen...I love the fact that our little Grado thread here tends to stay so friendly and respectful. This is always the first thread I check whenever I log on here, and you're in a very small group of posters that I've been enjoying and trusting since I first signed up here in late 2011. 

 

The amp I'm really curious about for Grados, especially since I have the GS1ks kickin' around here, would be the Mapletree amps. Dr P built my first tube preamp several years ago and it was just a great buying experience. I've been close a few times to sending him a few more bucks for one of his headamps, cause i've heard that they have amazing synergy with our beloved Grados. If I ever am lucky enough to own the PS1ks, I'd certainly get them a nicer amp just out of principle lol. But in the meantime the Little Dot is just incredibly satisfying. 

post #8192 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Amen...I love the fact that our little Grado thread here tends to stay so friendly and respectful. This is always the first thread I check whenever I log on here, and you're in a very small group of posters that I've been enjoying and trusting since I first signed up here in late 2011. 

 

 

 

 

       that's why I keep checking in here, and actually this thread is a big reason I bought Grado's to begin with, although I was lurking back then.

 

       I notice a lot of little dot love, but what about some of the Schiit amps?  Any recent impressions?

post #8193 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

 

 

       that's why I keep checking in here, and actually this thread is a big reason I bought Grado's to begin with, although I was lurking back then.

 

       I notice a lot of little dot love, but what about some of the Schiit amps?  Any recent impressions?

 

I know this community loves the schitt gear, but yeah, seems like I haven't heard many impressions regarding how that line pairs with Grados either. I do know of a guy I correspond with from time to time over at Audio Circle who loves his RS1s with his Schiit amp, but it would definitely be interesting to hear more impressions from other Grado owners who went with Schiit. 

post #8194 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

I know this community loves the schitt gear, but yeah, seems like I haven't heard many impressions regarding how that line pairs with Grados either. I do know of a guy I correspond with from time to time over at Audio Circle who loves his RS1s with his Schiit amp, but it would definitely be interesting to hear more impressions from other Grado owners who went with Schiit. 


I asked a question not that long ago on here about tube amps and someone responded that they really liked their Valhalla with their Grados. Once again I know the "Oh OTL tube amps and Grados don't work" but once again, he liked it, for whatever that is worth. Schiit themselves recommend the Asgard2 for Grados, but then again that is SS so makes sense that it would be the one they support for Grado. Out of my price range for the moment (I keep buying Lotto tickets and one of these days!!) but Woo makes a transformer coupled tube amp that goes down to like 8ohms or some ridiculous number and all the way up to 300 (maybe even 600) ohms, seems like if you could afford it, that would really be the way to go. Pretty much end game for a Grado enthusiast.

post #8195 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

The amp I'm really curious about for Grados, especially since I have the GS1ks kickin' around here, would be the Mapletree amps. 

I recently sold my Mapletree Ear HD Super 2. It is a fabulous amp!

 

AppleMark

 

If you come across one of the older MAD Ear HD with the Blackgate Caps - BUY IT - before I do....

post #8196 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


I asked a question not that long ago on here about tube amps and someone responded that they really liked their Valhalla with their Grados. Once again I know the "Oh OTL tube amps and Grados don't work" but once again, he liked it, for whatever that is worth. Schiit themselves recommend the Asgard2 for Grados, but then again that is SS so makes sense that it would be the one they support for Grado. Out of my price range for the moment (I keep buying Lotto tickets and one of these days!!) but Woo makes a transformer coupled tube amp that goes down to like 8ohms or some ridiculous number and all the way up to 300 (maybe even 600) ohms, seems like if you could afford it, that would really be the way to go. Pretty much end game for a Grado enthusiast.

 

I've always admired those Woo amps from a distance....beautiful gear! 

 

and lol@lotto playing...here in Georgia we are able to buy tickets online...I've been playing a couple times a week just for the hell of it. 

post #8197 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

I recently sold my Mapletree Ear HD Super 2. It is a fabulous amp!

 

AppleMark

 

If you come across one of the older MAD Ear HD with the Blackgate Caps - BUY IT - before I do....

 

Very nice! How come you sold it? 

post #8198 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Very nice! How come you sold it? 

 

I thought I should I should keep only one nice head amp and this little guy won out of nostalgia more than SQ.

 

I also go through phases when i don't want to bother with tubes (warming up, shutting off, rolling, buying etc...)

 

The Joe Grado amp is dead neutral and need good upstream to please.

"Everything" sounds good on the MAD!

post #8199 of 25042

I came across some fun pictures of Joseph Grado taken in Feb 2007:
Listening to his portable recording/playback rig:

 

The rig:

 

 

Better than any damn iPod has a right to sound...

 

 

post #8200 of 25042

I  bought my first amp-Asgard 2 with my first headphones-225i and I think they sound great. I read a headfi poster recently who thought the Asgard does not have great synergy with Grado cans. I'll be the first to self- disclose, that they are my only frame of reference-1st HP and 1st amp-but I think the sound I get is really quite good.

 

When doing research, I found an article on C/Net-it was actually a review for the Valhalla, but also mentioned the 225i and the Asgard (prior to the A-2):

 

"The Valhalla or Asgard, teamed up with Grado's excellent SR225i headphones ($200) are a great way to discover high-end sound on a budget. "

 

As a new Headfi consumer, I thought that was a petty darn strong endorsement, so I bought it. I think the combo is killer.

 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20019256-47.html


Edited by markm1 - 7/20/13 at 5:31pm
post #8201 of 25042

I enjoyed the Asgard when I tried it with my Grados, especially for the price. It's a good match.

My problem with the other Schiits with Grados as they seem to have so much output power and gain that the volume control is limited.

I always feel they're designed to plug in some hard to drive cans and think: "man, this amp can drive anything!"

Long term I wouldn't want to match that with sensitive cans like Grados. 

To my understanding only the Asgard has a gain switch to deal with this, but I could be wrong.

I basically only have Grados. If I had a variety of cans and wanted just one amp - different story...


Edited by parbaked - 7/20/13 at 5:52pm
post #8202 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

 

I thought I should I should keep only one nice head amp and this little guy won out of nostalgia more than SQ.

 

I also go through phases when i don't want to bother with tubes (warming up, shutting off, rolling, buying etc...)

 

The Joe Grado amp is dead neutral and need good upstream to please.

"Everything" sounds good on the MAD!

 

Oh wow, that's a beautiful piece of gear...Joe Grado is one heck of an interesting gent!

post #8203 of 25042

It looks even better with it's playing partner....

 

 

post #8204 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

I  bought my first amp-Asgard 2 with my first headphones-225i and I think they sound great. I read a headfi poster recently who thought the Asgard does not have great synergy with Grado cans. I'll be the first to self- disclose, that they are my only frame of reference-1st HP and 1st amp-but I think the sound I get is really quite good.

 

When doing research, I found an article on C/Net-it was actually a review for the Valhalla, but also mentioned the 225i and the Asgard (prior to the A-2):

 

"The Valhalla or Asgard, teamed up with Grado's excellent SR225i headphones ($200) are a great way to discover high-end sound on a budget. "

 

As a new Headfi consumer, I thought that was a petty darn strong endorsement, so I bought it. I think the combo is killer.

 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20019256-47.html

 

 

I've been reading Steve Guttenberg's reviews for quite some time, and it seems as though he's pretty reliable as a reviewer. He's generally positive anyway, but I know he loves Magnepan speakers, Beyer T1s, and Grados...so he's like a kindred spirit lol

 

 

Parbaked: Wow, amazing photos!!


Edited by Focker - 7/20/13 at 5:48pm
post #8205 of 25042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Oh wow, that's a beautiful piece of gear...Joe Grado is one heck of an interesting gent!

He can pull off wearing leather braces (suspenders) beerchug.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!