Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 534

post #7996 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

Exactly my thought!

Those do look nice. Might have to try them out.  I use the iGrado at work and like the behind the head feel.  I also like the openness so I can hear when someone walks up behind me.  I am a CAD jockey and can get too focused sometimes on the screen.

post #7997 of 17401

I should probably post this on the main forum so all the Grado haters can yell and scream about it.

Just today I did an impromptu test. My son was over to take me to the doctors so I got him and my wife in the same room. I had my system setup and running, so I had both of them listen to two headphones. First the SR325is, and then my Sennheiser HD600's. Same source, same amp, same everything. I told them to listen as long as they wanted and once they had decided which phone sounded the best to them, to let the other person try. They could go back and forth as much as they wanted before deciding. I think you can see where this is going...they both said they liked the Grado's better than the HD600's. I can hear everyone gasping already!!

 Not in the least bit a scientific test, but it was fun for me just to see what happened.

post #7998 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

I should probably post this on the main forum so all the Grado haters can yell and scream about it.

Just today I did an impromptu test. My son was over to take me to the doctors so I got him and my wife in the same room. I had my system setup and running, so I had both of them listen to two headphones. First the SR325is, and then my Sennheiser HD600's. Same source, same amp, same everything. I told them to listen as long as they wanted and once they had decided which phone sounded the best to them, to let the other person try. They could go back and forth as much as they wanted before deciding. I think you can see where this is going...they both said they liked the Grado's better than the HD600's. I can hear everyone gasping already!!

 Not in the least bit a scientific test, but it was fun for me just to see what happened.


i'd been seriously considering the 598, or 600 , just as a change of pace, a different flavor, to the 225's i have, then i happened upon the ms2, and for now at least, the wanting to have one of those sennheisers has dropped a bit in priority.

post #7999 of 17401
Quote:

I'm very tempted to buy these, being that I have an SR80i cable and headband.

post #8000 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I'm very tempted to buy these, being that I have an SR80i cable and headband.

I'm not 100% sure those are pink drivers. The pink in "pink drivers" is actually in the cheese cloth covers, not the drivers.

These are "pink drivers"

 

 

Also, if you send them to Grado for they're very reasonable fixed cost repair,, they may well swap out the drivers (inner housing)  anyway

post #8001 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

I'm not 100% sure those are pink drivers. The pink in "pink drivers" is actually in the cheese cloth covers, not the drivers.

These are "pink drivers"

 

 

Also, if you send them to Grado for they're very reasonable fixed cost repair,, they may well swap out the drivers (inner housing)  anyway

Your right! I know it is the cloth covering the drivers that make them "pink" drivers, not the drivers themselfs 

 

and I didn't even realize this when I looked at the auction. I would not have sent them to Grado, 

also knowing they would replace them with current drivers, if the drivers where the problem, but I was thinking more that it was a cable or soldering problem.

Thanks for the heads up!!!
post #8002 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

I wonder if all HPA-1 and HPA-2 owners also own HP1000, anyway, i would love to get my mits on one of those one day, Parbake, you are one lucky dog.

I would guess most HPA1/2 amp owners also have HP1000 headphones.

 

I think the amp was $795 and $125 for the optional PSU at a time when the HP1 was $595.

At that price I can't imagine too many people buying one unless they wanted to pair with an HP1000!

 

Joe only bought parts to make 250 units (150 HPA1 & 100 HPA2) and even fewer power supplies.

The amp circuitry was designed by Sid Smith (Marantz) but Joe selected, all the components (Roederstein metal-film resistors, Grado's own proprietary wire, best Alps potentiometer etc), which together proved too expensive to continue making.

It is an amazing amp that can run on 2x9V batteries (for field use) or with the PSU.

I believe the two circuits are separate - like two amps in one chassis.

Like the HP1000 it's designed to be sonically colorless...

 

 

 

 


Edited by parbaked - 7/10/13 at 9:45am
post #8003 of 17401

Sorry to derail the current conversation, however which USB+Dac amp would people consider to convey 'clarity'? Ideally for my RS1i's :'D

post #8004 of 17401

Hi guys , i wanna buy a grado 225i or 325is for listen metal music but i read a lot of reviews that is not confortable , is that truth? Or 225 is more confortable than 325is ? I will use on ipod so,  should i buy an adapter?

And can you say me which is better for metal( thrash , death and black) 225i or 325is ? And if grado is not so confortable can i find a headphone good for metal like grado that is confortable ? I have $300 to spend on it 

Ty guys , apologize my bad english =/

post #8005 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllcarbonlll View Post

Hi guys , i wanna buy a grado 225i or 325is for listen metal music but i read a lot of reviews that is not confortable , is that truth? Or 225 is more confortable than 325is ? I will use on ipod so,  should i buy an adapter?

And can you say me which is better for metal( thrash , death and black) 225i or 325is ? And if grado is not so confortable can i find a headphone good for metal like grado that is confortable ? I have $300 to spend on it 

Ty guys , apologize my bad english =/

I find my 225i very comfortable after some work on shaping the headband and a headband replacement from Turbulent Labs.  I'm able to wear them all day long and really love them.

 

I don't listen to a lot of thrash and no black/death metal (power metal is my metal of choice) but I really love them.  In a side-by-side comparison, I found the 225i more comfortable out of the box than the 325is, but that comparison might change after I spend some additional time with the 325is.  For the money, the 225i + a Manta headband would be the way to go for me.  I wear them constantly and so far everything I've thrown at them has sounded wonderful.

 

Edit:  500th post!

post #8006 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllcarbonlll View Post

Hi guys , i wanna buy a grado 225i or 325is for listen metal music but i read a lot of reviews that is not confortable , is that truth? Or 225 is more confortable than 325is ? I will use on ipod so,  should i buy an adapter?

And can you say me which is better for metal( thrash , death and black) 225i or 325is ? And if grado is not so confortable can i find a headphone good for metal like grado that is confortable ? I have $300 to spend on it 

Ty guys , apologize my bad english =/

 

I prefer the sound of 325i with taped bowl pads to the 225i. After listening to the 325i and switching to the 225i, the 225i sounds muffled and lacking bass (even with the tape mod). If you don't like a lot of treble detail though then the 225i, if you want more bass try adding electrical tape around the outside of the pads, or try the Grado S-Cush (comfies). comfort wise, the 325i headband is more comfortable, but the 325i is heavier and not as comfy on the ears as the 225i.
Edited by bassboysam - 7/10/13 at 11:13am
post #8007 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllcarbonlll View Post

Hi guys , i wanna buy a grado 225i or 325is for listen metal music but i read a lot of reviews that is not confortable , is that truth? Or 225 is more confortable than 325is ? I will use on ipod so,  should i buy an adapter?

And can you say me which is better for metal( thrash , death and black) 225i or 325is ? And if grado is not so confortable can i find a headphone good for metal like grado that is confortable ? I have $300 to spend on it 

Ty guys , apologize my bad english =/

1. 325is has nice leather headband, but 225is is more comfortable because it is lighter. 

 

2. If you use the 225i or 325is out of iPod then you must use an adapter. You should use the Grado adapter because it will put less stress on your iPod jack than an adapter that has no cable between the plug and jack. The 225i and 325is have a new 8 conductor cable that is very heavy and with the 1/4" plug can strain your ipod jack if using a standard adapter (no cable).

 

3. If I was using only with iPod I would buy the 80i or, even better, the Alessandro MS1i. Both have the mini plug and lighter 4 cable so you won't need an adapter. The sound from the iPod will be very close to the 225i and much more practical. You should upgrade the 80i ear pads to the Grado L-Cushion "bowl" pads. Total cost is $120

 

This is the correct type of adapter (note cable between plug and jack) if you choose a 125i, 225i or 325i.

 

post #8008 of 17401
I had a pair ms-2's, while I really loved the sound the weight of the metal cups just kind of killed the whole experience for me. I'd say go plastic or wood for reasons of comfort. Own a pair of ms-pro's and audiotioned a pair of 225's recently, no problems with discomfort.
post #8009 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

1. 325is has nice leather headband, but 225is is more comfortable because it is lighter. 

 

2. If you use the 225i or 325is out of iPod then you must use an adapter. You should use the Grado adapter because it will put less stress on your iPod jack than an adapter that has no cable between the plug and jack. The 225i and 325is have a new 8 conductor cable that is very heavy and with the 1/4" plug can strain your ipod jack if using a standard adapter (no cable).

 

3. If I was using only with iPod I would buy the 80i or, even better, the Alessandro MS1i. Both have the mini plug and lighter 4 cable so you won't need an adapter. The sound from the iPod will be very close to the 225i and much more practical. You should upgrade the 80i ear pads to the Grado L-Cushion "bowl" pads. Total cost is $120

 

This is the correct type of adapter (note cable between plug and jack) if you choose a 125i, 225i or 325i.

 

 

+1 for listening straigh from an iPod or while on the go, SR80 or even 60 would be a better option than the 125-325.
post #8010 of 17401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradivarius View Post

Sorry to derail the current conversation, however which USB+Dac amp would people consider to convey 'clarity'? Ideally for my RS1i's :'D

I am using a Schiit Modi with a Fiio E09K with my 225i right now, but am receiving my RS1i tomorrow (fingers crossed). Will let you know how they sound together! I do like the sound with the 225i, so hopefully the RS1i will just be that much better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!