Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 531

post #7951 of 18604

How do you find the mid bass and the upper frequencies to be with the MS2i's?

post #7952 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

How do you find the mid bass and the upper frequencies to be with the MS2i's?

 

this is just nearing the end of day one, and i don't have a lot of experience with different headphones, and practically nothing outside the grado line, that being said

i love these headphones so far, the midrange is so right, up front, the highs , this is the best, all around treble i've heard

detail, shimmering, no, harshness, pace rhythm

trying not to gush, but so glad i got them

i put the 225 back on the sale forum, but after going back and forth some today, i may keep them, they still do something i really like

having read how forward, bright, aggressive you like your sound, the ms2 has the forward, but i wouldn't call it bright or aggressive

earlier somewhere i said it was assertive, but not aggressive ! lol

post #7953 of 18604
Exciting and sparkly I would call it, but hardly aggressive at all.
post #7954 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Exciting and sparkly I would call it, but hardly aggressive at all.

 



well said !

post #7955 of 18604

 One of the reasons that the MS2i wasn't for me was they were not aggressive enough for my taste, and the mid bass was too much, and I found the high frequencies a bit laid back.

The MS2i is definitely a warm full sounding , rich headphone, and I would highly recommend them, but just weren't for me.

I'm glad you are enjoying them and they fit your tastes, congratulations and enjoy them!!!

BTW I do have my 325is drivers inside MS2i cups!!!

post #7956 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


Okay, this is going to be short but sweet. For tubes you have 2 choices (well you have a LOT of choices but these are 2 good ones). Cheapest is some EF92 tubes, best (but more expensive) are some WE408A tubes. You can get these directly from Little Dot or save a few dollars and get them from Tubedepot.com. For the OpAmps, again you have many choices but 2 of the best are the OPA2107 or the LM4562. David recommends the LM4562. That's it.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to purchase these two opamps

 

OPA2107

 

LM4562

 

I have just purchased a LD1+ from a fellow head-fier and it should be here by mid week

 

My RS1i is waiting patiently.

post #7957 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post

Can anybody point me in the right direction to purchase these two opamps

 

OPA2107

 

LM4562

 

I have just purchased a LD1+ from a fellow head-fier and it should be here by mid week

 

My RS1i is waiting patiently.


Ebay is the right direction. At least it is A direction. Found one for $8 in about 10secs from a seller called SiliconSector, he has tons of various opamps. I am sure there are lots of other dealers on the web you could find too, but this guy has a good selection and fair prices. Just make sure you get the kind that plug into a socket(DIP-8) and not the surface mount type that have to be soldered in.

 One more thing if you haven't done this sort of thing before, there should be a notch/dot/indicator of some kind on the old chip and the new. Make sure you insert the new one oriented the same as the old one, then double check it to make sure before you power it back up. Make sure also that all the pins go in nice and straight, sometimes those things have a bad habit of doubling over as you insert the chip, easy thing to miss unless you know to look for it.


Edited by HPiper - 7/7/13 at 5:21am
post #7958 of 18604

Guys I just connected my new DAC, the Meier Daccord, to my Little Dot I+...I'm truly in awe of the sound. For those of you who have the LD amp, it scales up with a higher quality DAC...I really can't believe how good this sounds right now. 

post #7959 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

Guys I just connected my new DAC, the Meier Daccord, to my Little Dot I+...I'm truly in awe of the sound. For those of you who have the LD amp, it scales up with a higher quality DAC...I really can't believe how good this sounds right now. 


How does it sound through the LD vs the Jazz that is listed in your sig?

post #7960 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


Okay, this is going to be short but sweet. For tubes you have 2 choices (well you have a LOT of choices but these are 2 good ones). Cheapest is some EF92 tubes, best (but more expensive) are some WE408A tubes. You can get these directly from Little Dot or save a few dollars and get them from Tubedepot.com. For the OpAmps, again you have many choices but 2 of the best are the OPA2107 or the LM4562. David recommends the LM4562. That's it.


was cruising ebay yesterday, and had missed this posting, but i'd put the WE on my list of TTG (tube to get!) lol

post #7961 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


Ebay is the right direction. At least it is A direction. Found one for $8 in about 10secs from a seller called SiliconSector, he has tons of various opamps. I am sure there are lots of other dealers on the web you could find too, but this guy has a good selection and fair prices. Just make sure you get the kind that plug into a socket(DIP-8) and not the surface mount type that have to be soldered in.

 One more thing if you haven't done this sort of thing before, there should be a notch/dot/indicator of some kind on the old chip and the new. Make sure you insert the new one oriented the same as the old one, then double check it to make sure before you power it back up. Make sure also that all the pins go in nice and straight, sometimes those things have a bad habit of doubling over as you insert the chip, easy thing to miss unless you know to look for it.

Yeah, I know how to put them in and what type to get....just not sure on e-bay what sellers are selling real stuff and what sellers are selling fakes

post #7962 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


Ebay is the right direction. At least it is A direction. Found one for $8 in about 10secs from a seller called SiliconSector, he has tons of various opamps. I am sure there are lots of other dealers on the web you could find too, but this guy has a good selection and fair prices. Just make sure you get the kind that plug into a socket(DIP-8) and not the surface mount type that have to be soldered in.

 One more thing if you haven't done this sort of thing before, there should be a notch/dot/indicator of some kind on the old chip and the new. Make sure you insert the new one oriented the same as the old one, then double check it to make sure before you power it back up. Make sure also that all the pins go in nice and straight, sometimes those things have a bad habit of doubling over as you insert the chip, easy thing to miss unless you know to look for it.

This seller has both chips that I want....thanks.

 

Now just need to get JRC4556.....which I can get from JDS Labs....thanks again.

post #7963 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post

Yeah, I know how to put them in and what type to get....just not sure on e-bay what sellers are selling real stuff and what sellers are selling fakes

There is always digikey or mouser, too.  No worry about fakes then.

post #7964 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


How does it sound through the LD vs the Jazz that is listed in your sig?

 

 

Well, the amps sound different, but the impact the DAccord has on each is similar. It would be easier to be specific if I was using the same headphone for each, but the LD doesn't have the balls to drive my T1s, so I only use my Grados with it. And the Jazz/Classic was purchased solely for my T1s. That being said, vs the AudioEngine D1 that I had been using previously, the Daccord improves separation significantly. Vocals and instruments sound far more delineated and their placement in space is much more precise. The image is more 3-D, with better spacial depth to the sound stage, almost as if you can discern the various layers of sound. One area I had attributed to the DAC initially, the "thwack" and impact of the percussion, I now believe is an attribute of the amp more so than the Daccord. This is one area where I'm finding the Classic is an upgrade to the Jazz, and that's in the crispness of the sound, if that makes any sense. There is more impact in the bass, as well, which at times (e.g. when listening to anything from DeadMau5) can be very impactful, while also remaining very clean and tight. 

 

That's about the best I can do to this point...I'm still learning some of the nuances of these guys

post #7965 of 18604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

 

Well, the amps sound different, but the impact the DAccord has on each is similar. It would be easier to be specific if I was using the same headphone for each, but the LD doesn't have the balls to drive my T1s, so I only use my Grados with it. And the Jazz/Classic was purchased solely for my T1s. That being said, vs the AudioEngine D1 that I had been using previously, the Daccord improves separation significantly. Vocals and instruments sound far more delineated and their placement in space is much more precise. The image is more 3-D, with better spacial depth to the sound stage, almost as if you can discern the various layers of sound. One area I had attributed to the DAC initially, the "thwack" and impact of the percussion, I now believe is an attribute of the amp more so than the Daccord. This is one area where I'm finding the Classic is an upgrade to the Jazz, and that's in the crispness of the sound, if that makes any sense. There is more impact in the bass, as well, which at times (e.g. when listening to anything from DeadMau5) can be very impactful, while also remaining very clean and tight. 

 

That's about the best I can do to this point...I'm still learning some of the nuances of these guys


 No that is great. One of the solid state setups  I am considering is a Meir stack, so that is helpful information.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!