Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 530

post #7936 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


You will like the Modi, not so much the Magni with your Grado's at least. I have the best opamp and tubes written down here somewhere for the LD1+ is you want to know I can dig that out for you.

Please post this ....I too would be interested in seeing it.

 

I am thinking about getting the LD1+ for my RS1i and Q701

post #7937 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post

Please post this ....I too would be interested in seeing it.

 

I am thinking about getting the LD1+ for my RS1i and Q701


Okay, this is going to be short but sweet. For tubes you have 2 choices (well you have a LOT of choices but these are 2 good ones). Cheapest is some EF92 tubes, best (but more expensive) are some WE408A tubes. You can get these directly from Little Dot or save a few dollars and get them from Tubedepot.com. For the OpAmps, again you have many choices but 2 of the best are the OPA2107 or the LM4562. David recommends the LM4562. That's it.

post #7938 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes008 View Post

Behold!

Just got these a little while ago. SR225i moded with mahogany cups and reterminated with a Neutrik gold 3.5mm plug. They look gorgeous, and sound pretty great, but I the wood adds some treble dampening. As much as I'm enjoying them, I do really miss the agressive Grado treble. Think I might sell these and just buy a stock SR225i :P Turntable first, though. Sooooooo if anyone wants them really badly, let me know :)


it is very easy to get as much treble back as you want by just filling the housing with cotton wool. some time ago i made this with a modded sr225i venting all holes of the drivers but filling the whole housings with cotton wool. result is a bright and analytical sounding headphone with unbelievable speed and precision, some of my friends found it to rival my beyer t5p. just yesterday i thought of rebuilding that one as i had used the drivers for another project in the meantime. only be sure to use a fine gauge so using the same amount of cotton wool for both sides.


Edited by GermanGuy - 7/6/13 at 5:41am
post #7939 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


You will like the Modi, not so much the Magni with your Grado's at least. I have the best opamp and tubes written down here somewhere for the LD1+ is you want to know I can dig that out for you.

Just curious to why you say I will not like the Magni, can you tell me why and what you mean?

And also if you could tell me about the sound signature of the tubes that you are talking about (before digging out the info), I would appreciate it. Thanks

 

Ireplied to you before reading the rest of the unread posts, thanks for posting this suggestion I will look into these as well in the near future.


Edited by joseph69 - 7/6/13 at 6:05am
post #7940 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post


it is very easy to get as much treble back as you want by just filling the housing with cotton wool. some time ago i made this with a modded sr225i venting all holes of the drivers but filling the whole housings with cotton wool. result is a bright and analytical sounding headphone with unbelievable speed and precision, some of my friends found it to rival my beyer t5p. just yesterday i thought of rebuilding that one as i had used the drivers for another project in the meantime. only be sure to use a fine gauge so using the same amount of cotton wool for both sides.

So if I filled my 325's drver housings with cotton wool they will be brighter sounding?

  and also this will not effect the open back design? Thanks.

post #7941 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

it is very easy to get as much treble back as you want by just filling the housing with cotton wool. some time ago i made this with a modded sr225i venting all holes of the drivers but filling the whole housings with cotton wool. result is a bright and analytical sounding headphone with unbelievable speed and precision, some of my friends found it to rival my beyer t5p. just yesterday i thought of rebuilding that one as i had used the drivers for another project in the meantime. only be sure to use a fine gauge so using the same amount of cotton wool for both sides.

Huh! Might try that. Although I'm deathly afraid to open them up though :P but it might be worth it. Thanks for the help!

post #7942 of 18495

wes008 - joseph69 - it's not the 'post your grado mods' thread where i have posted much more about my way and concepts to mod grados, also i have not posted anything about driver dampening, so at least i want to give you a feeling for what i have done in this area:

 

 

 

this is a picture of the gauge used, some damping material and how to get it fixed on the driver.

 

the gauge with some cotton wool has a resolution of 1 mg milli gramm. this is needed to have exactly the same amount of cotton wool on the left and right side. a typical weigth for a fill could be 0.365 gramms!

 

for the effect you want to have, i would use thin dampening rings as shown in the picture i just took:

 

white cotton wool ring - made out of a beauty pad - applied on the driver it absorbes the lower frequencies moving the hole sound to the brighter side.

 

blue white dampening ring with a lot of holes - just as it is made out of very thin cleaning cloth - it is a fancy material because not totally absorbing bass frequencies and not that much moving the sound to the brighter side - maybe more midcentric. it is also a wonderful choice for redampening the driver if you vented too much holes.

 

in the picture you can see a grado driver with a 52mm foto filter ring to illustrate how to apply the dampening ring(s) on the driver.

 

just use the dampening rings of your choice, put it/them onto the driver, you can then put a small long piece of foam rubber above and around it, foam rubber is flexible and will hold everything in place.

 

to be complete i use the shown felt disk to damp the area above the driver magnet.

 

just one sample picture of a modded sr125i:

 

 

 

i tried a lot of combinations with different grado mods, often the best combination was a blue - white - blue ring set!

 

this will not affect the open design sound benefits (but needs some time for testing, listening and optimization), especially the sound effect of the white cotton wool rings is very sensitive to changes of the thickness in the 0.1 mm range.


Edited by GermanGuy - 7/6/13 at 8:28am
post #7943 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Just curious to why you say I will not like the Magni, can you tell me why and what you mean?

And also if you could tell me about the sound signature of the tubes that you are talking about (before digging out the info), I would appreciate it. Thanks

 

Ireplied to you before reading the rest of the unread posts, thanks for posting this suggestion I will look into these as well in the near future.

I agree with HPiper on this, not sure you will like the Magni with 325is, I found it to be VERY bright and, to me, unlistenable with 325is, piercing highs to the point of painful.  The Asgard 2 was better but I still needed to do a T-shirt mod to tone down the treble.  I tried them with S-Cush, L-cush, reverse L-cush, G-cush, and G-cush with T-shirt mod and none of those made it where I would want to use the Magni with 325is.  All of those were much better on the Asgard 2 and off my modded X-Fi.

 

P.S. And yes I know this is source and recording dependent but I did the tests holding all else the same just changing amps...except obviously the x-fi tests.


Edited by bearFNF - 7/6/13 at 8:11am
post #7944 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Just curious to why you say I will not like the Magni, can you tell me why and what you mean?

And also if you could tell me about the sound signature of the tubes that you are talking about (before digging out the info), I would appreciate it. Thanks

 

Ireplied to you before reading the rest of the unread posts, thanks for posting this suggestion I will look into these as well in the near future.


 Bear in mind I was referring to Grado phones, but the Magni has two sort of problems. One they are just a tiny bit bright, detailed some would say, which the Grados already have plenty of that all on their own. Secondly that amp has no gain switches and the standard gain is pretty stout which can cause some people to have a problem with the phones being too loud as soon as they crack the volume up a bit. Maybe you like bright sounding amps and maybe you listen to your music loud anyway. Just a couple things to keep in mind. As they say YMMV.

 Just a bit on the tubes/opamps I suggested. The tubes will give better everything, more open, better bass, imaging ect. The 408A just gives you more of it and seems to be the tube most people prefer from what all I have read. Opamps are where you can really kind of pick and choose what sound you like. The OPA2107 is a warmer chip, just think of everything tilted toward the bass end of things just a bit, but still with more clarity and imaging on top of what the tubes give you. The LM4562 is the same thing only tilted toward the treble end of things with more detail and air on the top end. Again it depends on what you like, they are cheap and easy to change, why not just get 1 of each and see for yourself. I would suggest going to Radio Shack and picking up an 8pin IC chip puller though. Makes the whole process a lot easier and they are real inexpensive.

post #7945 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


 Bear in mind I was referring to Grado phones, but the Magni has two sort of problems. One they are just a tiny bit bright, detailed some would say, which the Grados already have plenty of that all on their own. Secondly that amp has no gain switches and the standard gain is pretty stout which can cause some people to have a problem with the phones being too loud as soon as they crack the volume up a bit. Maybe you like bright sounding amps and maybe you listen to your music loud anyway. Just a couple things to keep in mind. As they say YMMV.

 Just a bit on the tubes/opamps I suggested. The tubes will give better everything, more open, better bass, imaging ect. The 408A just gives you more of it and seems to be the tube most people prefer from what all I have read. Opamps are where you can really kind of pick and choose what sound you like. The OPA2107 is a warmer chip, just think of everything tilted toward the bass end of things just a bit, but still with more clarity and imaging on top of what the tubes give you. The LM4562 is the same thing only tilted toward the treble end of things with more detail and air on the top end. Again it depends on what you like, they are cheap and easy to change, why not just get 1 of each and see for yourself. I would suggest going to Radio Shack and picking up an 8pin IC chip puller though. Makes the whole process a lot easier and they are real inexpensive.

Thanks for the suggestions on the opamps, now I understand what they are, (chips). I know everyone finds the 325's bright, but I don't at all, this is the what I'm trying to achieve with my 325's. Sounds like I will pick up the M8161 along with the LM4562 opamps and try this out also. It sounds like the Magni may be for me as far as my 325's are concerned, I've read this before about it sounding a bit bright, so I wanted to hear it for myself, it should be here sometime next week. Thanks again.

post #7946 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


 Bear in mind I was referring to Grado phones, but the Magni has two sort of problems. One they are just a tiny bit bright, detailed some would say, which the Grados already have plenty of that all on their own. Secondly that amp has no gain switches and the standard gain is pretty stout which can cause some people to have a problem with the phones being too loud as soon as they crack the volume up a bit. Maybe you like bright sounding amps and maybe you listen to your music loud anyway. Just a couple things to keep in mind. As they say YMMV.

 Just a bit on the tubes/opamps I suggested. The tubes will give better everything, more open, better bass, imaging ect. The 408A just gives you more of it and seems to be the tube most people prefer from what all I have read. Opamps are where you can really kind of pick and choose what sound you like. The OPA2107 is a warmer chip, just think of everything tilted toward the bass end of things just a bit, but still with more clarity and imaging on top of what the tubes give you. The LM4562 is the same thing only tilted toward the treble end of things with more detail and air on the top end. Again it depends on what you like, they are cheap and easy to change, why not just get 1 of each and see for yourself. I would suggest going to Radio Shack and picking up an 8pin IC chip puller though. Makes the whole process a lot easier and they are real inexpensive.


the "detail" or brightness is one of the reasons i chose the e09k over the magni sound wise, the fiio doesn't have that "edge" to it, but still has plenty of detail, i like using the color analogy

the magni is silver, the fiio gold, both shiny , just different, to me, the modi is the bigger bargain, it would be a bargain at $200, and found it to sound great period, no matter what headphones or speakers the sound was coming out of

post #7947 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


the "detail" or brightness is one of the reasons i chose the e09k over the magni sound wise, the fiio doesn't have that "edge" to it, but still has plenty of detail, i like using the color analogy

the magni is silver, the fiio gold, both shiny , just different, to me, the modi is the bigger bargain, it would be a bargain at $200, and found it to sound great period, no matter what headphones or speakers the sound was coming out of


Totally agree on the Modi, Ijust got mine a few weeks ago and it made a huge improvement over the dac I was using. If you can live with usb only I would recommend it to anybody with any amp or phone. Really nice unit and I still can not believe the price...what a bargain!!

post #7948 of 18495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


Totally agree on the Modi, Ijust got mine a few weeks ago and it made a huge improvement over the dac I was using. If you can live with usb only I would recommend it to anybody with any amp or phone. Really nice unit and I still can not believe the price...what a bargain!!

The Modi is a good DAC for the money/features.

The Magni is really not ideal for Grados. It is really designed to drive "all" headphones, meaning it is strong enough to drive difficult cans.

As a result the gain and output impedance are not ideal for Grados, IEMs or other low impedance loads.

A really nice amp for the $$ and purpose, but there are better choices if one listens primarily to Grados. 

post #7949 of 18495

well, the little indeed g3 i was trying to sell because i got the LD1+, wasn't getting any interest

i decided to keep it, and work on some soldering skills .

well, as i was looking at it, i noticed the volume control was slightly bent, it was pointing up

how it got like that i don't know, but i gently straightened it, the signal imbalance, that seemed too great before

is gone, well mostly. there is a slight imbalance at very low levels, but i believe thats is to be expected , if i'm not mistaken.

any, it sounds great with the ms2's, i'm using a rca clear top, sweet !!
 

post #7950 of 18495

oh, the g-cush knock off's sound pretty good on the ms2's, very good actually
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!