Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 511

post #7651 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob54 View Post

^ I'll chip in. I recently spent days re ripping CDs that had been at 256/320 AAC or mp3 to lossless as tests on a limited amount of favourites proved ( to my ears) that I could tell a difference. This is through both my Spendor speakers and other mid fi kit and also through my Grados with decent headphone amp. My DAC won't do 24 bit so can't comment on tht vs 16 bit. To me, it s not so much the sound of instruments etc, it is more the feeling of space and the way instruments appear more "real" or at least better locked in place. Almost like the difference between a 2d map and one with slight relief for terrain etc. Both give the same info, but the extra detail helps your brain make it more real.

Ultimately it is all in our minds, regardless of what is physically happening after all.

BTW, assuming you can actually get at the FLAC files on your PC from the Beatles stick, software like DB power amp will easily convert to pretty much any format you care for. Don't know if any Windows players can handle 24 bit tho as never had to try.

To answer your specific question, best way to check any data on any tracks in your library is to right click and select properties of any individual file. Through iTunes you can right click and find in windows explorer. Most data can be accessed by selecting all the additional column files in the min list view.

I believe any iTunes purchase are now AAC 256kbps 16 bit /44.1. Things ripped in apple lossless (ALAC) I believe are16/44.1 but with bit rates varying between 600kbps up to over 1000 depending on musical complexity. iTunes has a setting to playback in other than 44.1 somewhere in preferences but as nearly everyone without 24bit music will have it all as 16/44.1 anyway, little point in tweaking that one.

thanks for the reply,

 

confirmed after getting audio info...

 

itunes download... first track on tron legacy (overture) - 256 kbps

 

recent CD rip ALAC... first track on abbey road (come together) - 819 kbps

 

DB power amp was one of first mentioned and came up a lot after a cursory look at options, it sounded like it stripped all of meta-data, but that still may be more direct route, even if that needs to be manually edited back in (replicates the stereo box set, about 225 songs on USB... all british albums, plus US MMT and two past masters volumes for the singles/non-album tracks) than some of the more byzantine, labrynithian ways.  


Edited by woophoria - 6/16/13 at 7:38pm
post #7652 of 13846
Long time lurker here but thought i'd post seeing as how I will soon have 5 pairs of Grados.

SR80i
SR225i
SR325i

On the way to me:
PS500
RS-1 (with the buttons, semi-vintage i think????)

Not sure if i will keep all 5 yet. I'm kind of hoping (and kind of not) the RS1 can replace all the SR series, and I am hoping the PS500 gives me everything the RS1 can't while maintaining the Grado sauce.
post #7653 of 13846

Wish there were more meets in my area. I desperately want to audition the higher end grados. Particularly the RS1

post #7654 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by woophoria View Post

thanks for the reply,

 

confirmed after getting audio info...

 

itunes download... first track on tron legacy (overture) - 256 kbps

 

recent CD rip ALAC... first track on abbey road (come together) - 819 kbps

 

DB power amp was one of first mentioned and came up a lot after a cursory look at options, it sounded like it stripped all of meta-data, but that still may be more direct route, even if that needs to be manually edited back in (replicates the stereo box set, about 225 songs on USB... all british albums, plus US MMT and two past masters volumes for the singles/non-album tracks) than some of the more byzantine, labrynithian ways.  

I went straight to the 225i and feel it was a good first step. If it was the only HP I ever own, I know I have a good medium fi HP that with a decent source and my HP amp (Asg A-2) gives me pretty darn good sound. I'm focusing on my speaker system now before investing further.

 

I'd like to audition the RS1 and PS500. However, after attending a meet, I'm tempted to get a HE 500 and call it a day. But, not until I upgrade my receiver to an integrated amp and think about a DAC....ugh!

 

But, I've got some  sweet shelf speakers that I'm happy with and my 225's and that's where you get the best buck bang.

 

Gotta prioritize!

post #7655 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

Long time lurker here but thought i'd post seeing as how I will soon have 5 pairs of Grados.

SR80i
SR225i
SR325i

On the way to me:
PS500
RS-1 (with the buttons, semi-vintage i think????)

Not sure if i will keep all 5 yet. I'm kind of hoping (and kind of not) the RS1 can replace all the SR series, and I am hoping the PS500 gives me everything the RS1 can't while maintaining the Grado sauce.

That's a great little collection! Report back with some thoughts on the 500s when you get time. I always enjoy hearing others takes, cause those are my favorite headphones. 

post #7656 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by woophoria View Post

thanks for the reply,

confirmed after getting audio info...

itunes download... first track on tron legacy (overture) - 256 kbps

recent CD rip ALAC... first track on abbey road (come together) - 819 kbps

DB power amp was one of first mentioned and came up a lot after a cursory look at options, it sounded like it stripped all of meta-data, but that still may be more direct route, even if that needs to be manually edited back in (replicates the stereo box set, about 225 songs on USB... all british albums, plus US MMT and two past masters volumes for the singles/non-album tracks) than some of the more byzantine, labrynithian ways.  

The power amp preserves metadata in my experience. One of the modules is batch converter, find select top level folder you wish it to convert, destination folder and output file type and off it goes. You just mass import destination folder to iTunes and it should all be there. That assumes the Beatles stick allows access and the FLAC files aren't copy protected, which I strongly suspect they are. But the software is about £15 anyway and means you can buy legitimate FLAC files elsewhere of any music rather than CD and convert to ALAC.
post #7657 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

Long time lurker here but thought i'd post seeing as how I will soon have 5 pairs of Grados.

SR80i
SR225i
SR325i

On the way to me:
PS500
RS-1 (with the buttons, semi-vintage i think????)

Not sure if i will keep all 5 yet. I'm kind of hoping (and kind of not) the RS1 can replace all the SR series, and I am hoping the PS500 gives me everything the RS1 can't while maintaining the Grado sauce.

Sam- what's your take on the SR series?  Does any one of them stand out as the best of the bunch?

post #7658 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

Sam- what's your take on the SR series?  Does any one of them stand out as the best of the bunch?

That's a tough one. The 80s are good if your source is questionable but assuming a solid source, i think the 325s are best. The 225s are just a bit too lean in the low end and they don't sound as rich as the 325s. fwiw i have bowls on both. At the same time i think the 225s are more fun especially with bass boosted through an eq. But the 325s are a btter quality phone but you need quality recordings otherwise they can be harsh. I am really hoping the RS1 gives me the best of both.

Also, not Grado related but I found a good deal on some ATH-WS99s and picked them up because i am looking for a closed pair. Plus some new mullards for my LD MKIII. it was an expensive weekend biggrin.gif
Edited by bassboysam - 6/17/13 at 5:03am
post #7659 of 13846

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob54 View Post
To me, it s not so much the sound of instruments etc, it is more the feeling of space and the way instruments appear more "real" or at least better locked in place. Almost like the difference between a 2d map and one with slight relief for terrain etc. Both give the same info, but the extra detail helps your brain make it more real.

Totally. I'm no compression expert, but as far as I understand it, you're turning a, say, 50mb file into an 10mb file by removing parts of the track that are unnecessary. Now, if the removed parts are outside of human hearing, then there should be no difference. However, I, like you, detect a more "realistic" image of the song when it's ripped as lossless. I'm sure there is such a thing as good encoding, but why would I want less of a song? Sure, it sounds largely the same, but I'm trying to recreate the live sound, I don't want to miss out on the little things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

Long time lurker here but thought i'd post seeing as how I will soon have 5 pairs of Grados.

SR80i
SR225i
SR325i

On the way to me:
PS500
RS-1 (with the buttons, semi-vintage i think????)

Not sure if i will keep all 5 yet. I'm kind of hoping (and kind of not) the RS1 can replace all the SR series, and I am hoping the PS500 gives me everything the RS1 can't while maintaining the Grado sauce.

Fanboy biggrin.gif Then again, I would own all of those too if I could afford them! I'm stuck on my next pair to buy; I can afford up to $300. I was just going to go with the SR225i though. Do you hear a strong improvement in the SR325i though? I'd get that if it's worth the extra $100. What I really want is an RS2i, but I can't really afford $500 right now frown.gif

post #7660 of 13846
See my prev post. It depends on the source. If you have a good amp/dac then the 325s are better at taking advantage of it. The 225s can get close with different mods (flats or tape mod) but they will never have the depth and detail of the 325s.
post #7661 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes008 View Post

Totally. I'm no compression expert, but as far as I understand it, you're turning a, say, 50mb file into an 10mb file by removing parts of the track that are unnecessary. Now, if the removed parts are outside of human hearing, then there should be no difference. However, I, like you, detect a more "realistic" image of the song when it's ripped as lossless. I'm sure there is such a thing as good encoding, but why would I want less of a song? Sure, it sounds largely the same, but I'm trying to recreate the live sound, I don't want to miss out on the little things!

Fanboy biggrin.gif Then again, I would own all of those too if I could afford them! I'm stuck on my next pair to buy; I can afford up to $300. I was just going to go with the SR225i though. Do you hear a strong improvement in the SR325i though? I'd get that if it's worth the extra $100. What I really want is an RS2i, but I can't really afford $500 right now frown.gif

I recently A-B'd my 225 and 325 at a meet. Actually more A-B-C with 225i-325i and HE 500. The demo was lossless tracks on a PC with a DIY tube amp.   Also, I wasn't listening to my music. I was able to listen to Nora Jones, Led Zeppelin, Beatles and Linsdy Striling. I like all those artists, but I also listen to more aggressive music which I wasn't able to demo.

 

To me the difference wasn't that stark. I agree w/ comments, that the 325 had a bit more detail and sound richer. I certainly wouldn't get rid of my 225 to get the 325. For some of the music, the 325 sounded harsher and fatiguing which is in line w/ comments I had read. However, the 325 were a really nice sounding HP and the detail and depth of sound I thought was quite good.

 

I'm not sure I agree with the comment about the 225 being leaner in the low end compared to the 325. Maybe Bassboysam can clarify. The 325 have a rep for being the brightest of the series or so I thought. It's hard for me to think now in the abstract, but my sense is that my 225 may have had more low end, but less detail and a bit easier on the ears.

 

And, I agree the 225 more "fun". Now compared to the HE 500/totally different obviously.

 

My take away is that the 225i are a pretty good all around medium fi HP that lack some of the finesse and refinement of higher end HP's, but sound great to my ears with my Asgard 225i.

 

They have a real upfront and aggressive feel. But, I gather the entire line is that way. And, that is why I find them so gratifying w/ much of the rock/prog/metal/punk I listen too. In my case I'm looking for a compliment for other genres such as orchestral classical, and jazz. But, for all of my heavy rock based music-I think my 225 are killer.

 

Let me also say, I think my 225i's do pretty well w/ most genres including jazz but I'd like another alternative that's a little less "in your face" for some of my listening.

 

 

In summary,  I can see why folks would say the 325 are technically a better can. I didn't think they were $100 better. If I were to upgrade I would want to audition the RS1i or the PS 500 or get something totally different like the HE series or whatnot.....that is if I were ready to plunk down over $500.


Edited by markm1 - 6/17/13 at 6:37am
post #7662 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

I'm not sure I agree with the comment about the 225 being leaner in the low end compared to the 325. Maybe Bassboysam can clarify.

 

To me, if you igonre the extra high end in the 325 then you can certainly hear the increase in the bass over the 225. I used an EQ to cut some of the treble in the 325 to voice it closer to the 225 and I noticed deeper and punchier bass in the 325.
post #7663 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

Wish there were more meets in my area. I desperately want to audition the higher end grados. Particularly the RS1

Next time you're up this way, stop in at that place in Tempe I mentioned to you.  They have the RS-1i and RS-2i available for demo.  Their shop in Scottsdale might have the PS and/or GS series as well.

post #7664 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

Im a she. XD

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

 

Of course, you are... why else would you have an illustration of a girl as an avatar wink.gif

post #7665 of 13846
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

 Why is it that I was immediately labeled a troll? 

Your post stated:  "Amp makes zero difference in sound quality, and lossless and v0 have no perceivable difference."

When you throw around terms like "zero difference" and "no perceivable difference" you may be misunderstood.

Because you didn't elaborate at all it seemed provocative especially for a Grado Fans Club.

I am NOT saying it was right to label anyone a troll, just answering your question of why it happened to you in that situation.

It's great that folk jump to your defense to express your valid opinion!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!