Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 505

post #7561 of 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Man View Post

Is it worth upgrading from Grado sr80i to sr225i?

Didn't you just get the 80's recently?

If so, I would listen to them for a while, because they really are excellent headphones. But if you are not happy with them, (for what ever reason), then thats a different story

post #7562 of 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


All I can say is...You must REALLY like music...that is a lot of stuff!

 

I do REALLY like music, but i obviously also like vintage gear. what's nice about this old stuff is that, if after a while, you decide to sell some components, you can often sell for the same price you've paid, or you might even turn a profit, if you bought at the right price.

 

Also, aside from being a sound investment, i think that vintage gear looks much better than the newer stuff,  and being a vinyl enthusiast, i also like the fact that they often have very decent performing built in phono stages.

 

Most of what i have is near, or in mint condition, and has been paid between $150 to $250, so it's not too bad, especially when you consider that you can pretty much get your money back and more.

post #7563 of 16751

have been away from my Grados  

 

hello PS500 

 

 

AppleMark

 

 

 

I have missed you. 

 

straight out of the dx100 , like how they do not need much to drive 

post #7564 of 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

I have 4 modest sound systems, system 1 plays double duty as a home theater and a stereo headphone rig, i had some time, so i listed all the components, here you go.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

System 1)  Yamaha RX-V 2200 reciever

                  Yamaha DVD-S2700 DVD/CD player

                  Yamaha KX-321 cassette tape recorder  

                  Technics SL-1200 MK2 TT with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge

                  Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 with Electro Harmonix 6922 tubes headphone amp

                  

System 2) 1978 Yamaha CA-610II integrated amp

                 1978 Yamaha YP-D6 TT with an Audio-Technica AT95e cartridge

                 2008 Yamaha DVD-S1800 DVD/CD player

 

System 3) 1974 Marantz 2220B reciever

                 1974 Marantz 6300 TT with a Grado Black cartridge

                 1973 Pioneer RT-1020L Reel to Reel Tape recorder

                 1993 Technics SL-PG 340 CD player

 

System 4) 1979 Marantz 2226B reciever

                 1979 Marantz 2220B TT with an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge

                 1991 Technics SL-PS 700 CD player

 

 

 

By the way, i know that many people don't use CD players anymore, but just in case someone wanted a second player and didn't want to invest too much, the MASH 1 bit D/A converters in the Technics CD players sound pretty good, and they're dirt cheap.

 

Nice, really nice ... I'm jealous!  I still spin a lot of optical plastic and my favorite spinner (Onkyo C-S5VL) sounds better than anything I can get out of my Mac/PC + gear; especially with the Grados.   In fact, my favorite playback chain is the Onkyo -> NuForce Icon -> RS2i - pure heaven for my ears.  I seriously considered a Rega DAC to get the same Wolfson DAC + selectable filters combination the spinner has to use with my Mac/PC, but decided to hold off on the extra spend (my divorce was looming...).

post #7565 of 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

 

Nice, really nice ... I'm jealous!  I still spin a lot of optical plastic and my favorite spinner (Onkyo C-S5VL) sounds better than anything I can get out of my Mac/PC + gear; especially with the Grados.   In fact, my favorite playback chain is the Onkyo -> NuForce Icon -> RS2i - pure heaven for my ears.  I seriously considered a Rega DAC to get the same Wolfson DAC + selectable filters combination the spinner has to use with my Mac/PC, but decided to hold off on the extra spend (my divorce was looming...).

I agree, I recently started listening to Cd's imported to my MBP, but Cd's played through my 90's Sony ES Cd players definitly sound better than the MBP played through the exact same sources. All my other sources are from the early 90's also. Very nice sounding equipment, and worth every penny for the 20+ years it has lasted, and still going strong.

post #7566 of 16751

Well I did what I was saying, reconnected all my old stereo equipment and gave it a listen. It isn't bad, but at the same time it is no where near my Headroom amp in any capacity. Certainly useable though. Least now I know.

post #7567 of 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

 

Nice, really nice ... I'm jealous!  I still spin a lot of optical plastic and my favorite spinner (Onkyo C-S5VL) sounds better than anything I can get out of my Mac/PC + gear; especially with the Grados.   In fact, my favorite playback chain is the Onkyo -> NuForce Icon -> RS2i - pure heaven for my ears.  I seriously considered a Rega DAC to get the same Wolfson DAC + selectable filters combination the spinner has to use with my Mac/PC, but decided to hold off on the extra spend (my divorce was looming...).

 

Don't be jealous, you've said it yourself ...''pure heaven for my ears'', that tells me that you are enjoying what you have, and that's what counts.

 

By the way, sorry to hear about your divorce, i'm divorced too, so i can relate.

post #7568 of 16751

I saw a post some time ago about a Grado dealer in Northern Virginia that will let you audition the entire Grado line. I've only been able to listen up to the 325.

 

I own the 225i and want to audition the RS1i and PS500.

 

Can any of you point me in the right direction? 

 

 I live in MD abour an hour out of DC.

 

Much Thanks!


Edited by markm1 - 6/2/13 at 7:38am
post #7569 of 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Can any of you point me in the right direction? 

 

Much Thanks!

1, Check out: http://www.gradolabs.com/page_dealers.php

2. Call dealers near you and ask which models they have available for audition.

3. Bring your own source or bring your 225i so you can compare to the other models

4. You can likely compare to other brands as well.

Good Luck

SFYW!


Edited by parbaked - 6/2/13 at 8:51am
post #7570 of 16751

Thanks!

post #7571 of 16751

I posted this in the amp section BUT since I mainly listen with my PS500 and Magnum V5 (The AD900x gets a lot of time too) its kinda reverent here too...

 

 

I usually don't post much asking for help BUT I'm stuck between a few amps... My current amp is a Fiio E17 and it does everything fairly well BUT I feel like I'm losing something in terms of quality when I'm at my desk using it as a USB DAC and amp. I currently have the following cans...


Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT990 pro
Grado PS500
Grado 225i (heavily modded/pimped)
Grado Magnum V5 Woodied/custom headband
Superlux HD681 EVO

 

All of these would see time with the new DAC and amp... I would like something fairly neutral...

Ive looked at the Aune T1, the Magni and Modi... and can't decide... or even a Little Dot I+, and Modi...

 

Any other suggestions, trying to keep this under $300...


Edited by kvtaco17 - 6/2/13 at 11:23pm
post #7572 of 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

I saw a post some time ago about a Grado dealer in Northern Virginia that will let you audition the entire Grado line. I've only been able to listen up to the 325.

 

I own the 225i and want to audition the RS1i and PS500.

 

Can any of you point me in the right direction? 

 

 I live in MD abour an hour out of DC.

 

Much Thanks!

The RS1i has a lot more treble energy (and less bass) than the PS500s. The PS500s image noticeably better. I love the RS1i's but find the PS500s more to my liking.

post #7573 of 16751

Well I was listening to my new 325is tonight and I am still not totally sold on the sound, even though they are quite a bit better than when I first got them. I think I want to try some G-Cush pads on them though before I quit, some people say it makes a pretty big change (for the better).

 On another note and topic really. I noticed something earlier tonight. I was listening to my 325's and the particular track had some backup singers that came in on the chorus. At that time I was comparing the 325's with my Sennheiser HD580's and I don't know what the term for this is, imaging, transparency, or what. With the Grado I could hear the backup singers and I could tell that at least 1 of them was a woman, but that was it. Listening with the Senns I could tell there were 3 backup singers and they were all 3 women. I don't know what gives one headphone the ability to pick up, what I would call, micro-detail  and another not. I was kind of taken back by that because in all other respects I was liking the Grados more.

post #7574 of 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

Well I was listening to my new 325is tonight and I am still not totally sold on the sound, even though they are quite a bit better than when I first got them. I think I want to try some G-Cush pads on them though before I quit, some people say it makes a pretty big change (for the better).

 On another note and topic really. I noticed something earlier tonight. I was listening to my 325's and the particular track had some backup singers that came in on the chorus. At that time I was comparing the 325's with my Sennheiser HD580's and I don't know what the term for this is, imaging, transparency, or what. With the Grado I could hear the backup singers and I could tell that at least 1 of them was a woman, but that was it. Listening with the Senns I could tell there were 3 backup singers and they were all 3 women. I don't know what gives one headphone the ability to pick up, what I would call, micro-detail  and another not. I was kind of taken back by that because in all other respects I was liking the Grados more.


What are you amping the 325s with and what quality source? I have added the Gcush to mine and love it, but my amp is quite bassy so offsets some of the bass loss you get from the Gcush. If you have a way of upping the bass EQ that may pay dividends. G cush does improve the imaging and soundstage for me though. Great separation of detail.

 

I have also noticed the 325s are very unforgiving with poorly recorded and lower bitrate tracks.

 

In short, keep burning them in (mine took a good 200 hours to mellow out) and try the Gcush if you have the $ spare. I love it.


Edited by jimbob54 - 6/4/13 at 2:31am
post #7575 of 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

Well I was listening to my new 325is tonight and I am still not totally sold on the sound, even though they are quite a bit better than when I first got them. I think I want to try some G-Cush pads on them though before I quit, some people say it makes a pretty big change (for the better).

 On another note and topic really. I noticed something earlier tonight. I was listening to my 325's and the particular track had some backup singers that came in on the chorus. At that time I was comparing the 325's with my Sennheiser HD580's and I don't know what the term for this is, imaging, transparency, or what. With the Grado I could hear the backup singers and I could tell that at least 1 of them was a woman, but that was it. Listening with the Senns I could tell there were 3 backup singers and they were all 3 women. I don't know what gives one headphone the ability to pick up, what I would call, micro-detail  and another not. I was kind of taken back by that because in all other respects I was liking the Grados more.

 

My $0.02 on this... I have learned over the years to avoid rapidly A-B'ing my headphones - especially going between Grado and Sennheiser, which have very different sound signatures.  When I do this, I tend to not like the new one (i.e. the one I haven't been listening to as much).  YMMV, but my brain/ears need time to re-acclimate to the the phones and only then am *I* able to appreciate the subtlety of that headphone's unique sound characteristics.  Try just listening to the 325s for an extended period, with high quality source material that you know well and love, and see if you still have the same feeling about your Grados when you are done.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!