Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 501

post #7501 of 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

That's awesome...you can hear really deep into the recording with Grados, that's for sure. One of the things I love most about them. That happened to me once when I was listening to a track and I heard this weird noise...took me a while to figure it out, but then I realized that I was hearing the foot pedals on the piano being depressed. That's some serious detail! 

 

SR225i's are my favs for mid-fi by a mile :) they're even in my display pic haha


I think anyone's who's been to real lives will prefer the Grados over darks because they put you on stage or first row, incomparably better for intensity <3

 

I also like the natural appeal and musicality of the wood- I also found Beyers to be much more musical and forgiving as well compared to really razor sharp ones like ultrasones or ur regular sennheisers

 

Question for people who've tried- do you think tubes or solid states add to the real experience more? With the example of being at a live rock concert as the measure

 

Thanks :)

post #7502 of 18560

Still trying to make up my mind on the tube/solid-state thing. I have both and to say the sound between them is different is an understatement, but my ss amp is quite old. I would like to listen to a new, somewhat high end ss amp like a Burson or Grace before I really make up my mind, but for now I prefer my tube amp over the ss amp I have.

post #7503 of 18560

Has anybody had (as in owned) or been able to listen to some Grado SR series phones on both a Valhalla and a Lyr, if so which sounded the best to you? I am kind of leaning toward the Lyr becuase I am told it works wonders removing the 'veil' from the Senn HD650's but I listen to my Grados more so it is more important to me that the Grados sound good than the Senns.

post #7504 of 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orakurumi View Post

SR225i's are my favs for mid-fi by a mile smily_headphones1.gif they're even in my display pic haha

Do you prefer the 325is over the 225is or is your budget for the 225i and that's your mid-fi limit?

Or some other consideration?
post #7505 of 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by marone View Post

Do you prefer the 325is over the 225is or is your budget for the 225i and that's your mid-fi limit?

Or some other consideration?

They're both great at what they do, but the 325i's are the acquired taste and need burn in and source, so imo they're not ur average mid-fi plug in and go, though they have the far greater range and scalability (metal cups for crisp responsiveness) & intense grado sound & potential for low volume

Long story short I'm lazy so would go for the mellower 225i's that wow u right away tongue.gif
post #7506 of 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

Still trying to make up my mind on the tube/solid-state thing. I have both and to say the sound between them is different is an understatement, but my ss amp is quite old. I would like to listen to a new, somewhat high end ss amp like a Burson or Grace before I really make up my mind, but for now I prefer my tube amp over the ss amp I have.

I'm pretty happy with tubes so far >.< its that grass is greener feeling though I guess x_x
post #7507 of 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orakurumi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marone View Post

Do you prefer the 325is over the 225is or is your budget for the 225i and that's your mid-fi limit?

Or some other consideration?

They're both great at what they do, but the 325i's are the acquired taste and need burn in and source, so imo they're not ur average mid-fi plug in and go, though they have the far greater range and scalability (metal cups for crisp responsiveness) & intense grado sound & potential for low volume

Long story short I'm lazy so would go for the mellower 225i's that wow u right away tongue.gif

It seems it is also a case of requiring good source components to feed the 325i that needs TLC to bring out the best in it.

That's cool and fine, but for now I am DAC/Amp rolling with just about anything I can find on the low end.

I look forward to when I have 20 cans and 20 amps and I can pair everything to find what works and what does not.
post #7508 of 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by marone View Post


It seems it is also a case of requiring good source components to feed the 325i that needs TLC to bring out the best in it.

That's cool and fine, but for now I am DAC/Amp rolling with just about anything I can find on the low end.

I look forward to when I have 20 cans and 20 amps and I can pair everything to find what works and what does not.

For what it's worth, I'm quite pleased listening to my 225i straight through my Ipod and my Android phone listening to Rhapsody-just screwing around the house.

 

Then, for better sound, I'll listen with an Asgard-2 to CD's in my stereo and sometimes streaming through an Internet receiver that's part of my dedicated speaker system. I haven't invested in a DAC yet, but I have a lot of CD's, and I feel like a well recorded CD and my A-2 gives me very nice sound.

 

Sure, I may spend more money later....but, for an initial set up I think it's pretty sweet and I wasn't disappointed when I went to my first meet last weekend and heard a bunch of pricier rigs...sure some differences and refinement, etc. If someone gifted me $5-7 K one of those Stax systems would be cool. But, that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

 

 

 I think for the money I've spent, I can afford an extremely high quality listening experience across a variety of genres.....Mozart to Zeppelin to Yanni to Miles Davis Pink Floyd to Swans Leonard Cohen to Isis to Neil Young to Converge to Kreator to Opeth to the Mars Volta to Howard Shore soundracks to Fiona Apple to Death Metal! Alright, I'm going to stop there :-)


Edited by markm1 - 5/29/13 at 11:16am
post #7509 of 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

Has anybody had (as in owned) or been able to listen to some Grado SR series phones on both a Valhalla and a Lyr, if so which sounded the best to you? I am kind of leaning toward the Lyr becuase I am told it works wonders removing the 'veil' from the Senn HD650's but I listen to my Grados more so it is more important to me that the Grados sound good than the Senns.
I have not own any of the Schiit products (heard the Valhalla with DT880/600) but he Valhalla is an OTL design so technically better for higher impedance headphones (150 & up) and the LYR is a power beast so you might have no volume headroom.

With experience I would recommend the MAD Ear+ HD from Mappletree Audio. The best tube amp for Grado.
post #7510 of 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

Has anybody had (as in owned) or been able to listen to some Grado SR series phones on both a Valhalla and a Lyr, if so which sounded the best to you? I am kind of leaning toward the Lyr becuase I am told it works wonders removing the 'veil' from the Senn HD650's but I listen to my Grados more so it is more important to me that the Grados sound good than the Senns.

I don't believe the Lyr or any good amp will radically transform the sonic personality of the HD650. If it did, it would likely transform the Grados in the same direction, probably an undesirable result since you say the Grados are more important.

Valhalla driving RS1i or SR60 Lcush is open, transparent, incisive, has body and texture, and is not fat. I haven't listened to Lyr.
post #7511 of 18560

At CanLanta, I heard the Lyr drive my PS500s.  I was very impressed with the sound quality.  Definitely a nice combination.

post #7512 of 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post


I don't believe the Lyr or any good amp will radically transform the sonic personality of the HD650. If it did, it would likely transform the Grados in the same direction, probably an undesirable result since you say the Grados are more important.

Valhalla driving RS1i or SR60 Lcush is open, transparent, incisive, has body and texture, and is not fat. I haven't listened to Lyr.


What more could you want from an amplifier, sounds good to me.

post #7513 of 18560
I had the Asgard driving my 325is and PS500 and was initially impressed. Only when I plugged them into my integrated amp I couldn't really notice much difference so I sold the Asgard. The Graham Slee Solo ULDE was a different story however. The only amp I've heard that can impart some kind of soundstage to Grado cans. People who say Grados don't need an amp obviously haven't heard Grados on a good amp. I'd have said the same before I heard the Slee. Grado and Lyr is supposed to be a decent combination; Lyr will certainly supply plenty of current. But isn't Valhalla a high volt amp designed for 250ohm Senns and 600ohm Beyers?
post #7514 of 18560

I looked briefly at the Graham line of amps and for the most part they are way beyond my price range. I don't recall exact prices but I seem to recall something around $800 to $10000 dollars. I am looking for something less than $500, so a Valhalla or Lyr would do nicely if they sound good. I was thinking about a Little Dot and call me old fashioned  but I decided I would rather get something made in America with a good warranty.

 I just got my SR325is phones, havn't had much time to listen to them but so far I have to admit I am not real impressed. I like my 225i better. They are kind of sounding like they are not really burned in very well so I am willing to give them some more time. The person I bought them from said he got them and didn't like the sound much, so he put them away in a closet and they sat there ever since until he decided to sell them, so it is completely possible they didn't get more than a few hours on them to begin with. More later.

post #7515 of 18560
Asgard is the one you want. It's a fine amp for the money and it's the one Schiit and Grado recommend for your headphones. I know because I asked them. I've read people commenting favourably on the Grado/Lyr combination but as a previous poster said, you wouldn't have much room for manoeuvre with the volume pot. That amp seems to have been designed for orthodynamics which require much higher current. The 325is do require quite a bit of burn in. I upgraded to the PS500 and still miss the in-yer-face mids of the 325is. Depends what you listen to really. They're rubbish for electronica but great for rock/indie etc. They're very detailed and like most Grados have a knack of making instruments sound real. Probably don't have the soundstage for classical but they're good for jazz too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!