Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 498

post #7456 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallentx View Post

Interesting. I had almost exactly the opposite impression going from the 80s (no "I") to the 325i. I thought the 325i had less mid bass and more clarity, detail, and instrument separation than the 80s. Either way, yes, I love them both for what they are.

I don't own the 80i or 325is, but listening to the both of them i found the 325 sounding cold/harsh in comparison to the 80.

Where the 80s have a nice bass response which is balanced enough to the highs for my liking,
i found that the 325 have a higher clarity, out of balance with the bass.

Both compaired with their stock cushions.
post #7457 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallentx View Post

Interesting. I had almost exactly the opposite impression going from the 80s (no "I") to the 325i. I thought the 325i had less mid bass and more clarity, detail, and instrument separation than the 80s. Either way, yes, I love them both for what they are.

Yes ,I don't quite understand this myself, but even my friend came over and did some testing also, and we both definitely agreed on this side by side comparison. It is strange but I can here much more smaller details that really grab my attention with the 80's. I will hear the detail with the 325is's, but sometimes much less pronounced, and I will have to concentrate to hear them, where as the 80's they are right there and you can't miss them.

Does anyone who owns these two headphones hear what my friend and I hear?

And please just because the 325is 200$ more, please tell the truth.

Also keep in mind that I am in no way at all putting the 325is down, or have any regrets on the purchase.

These comparisons where done with the 80's being (stock) and also the 325's being (stock) out of the same sources.


Edited by joseph69 - 5/27/13 at 1:27pm
post #7458 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallentx View Post

Interesting. I had almost exactly the opposite impression going from the 80s (no "I") to the 325i. I thought the 325i had less mid bass and more clarity, detail, and instrument separation than the 80s. Either way, yes, I love them both for what they are.

 

That was pretty close to my experience, as well, but I guess it goes to show that we all hear a bit differently. I liked the 325s quite a lot, but ended up selling them when I bought the 500s. The 80s I still have, as they are perfect for when I'm playing around online. They're also the most "special" Grado to me, since that's sort of where it all started in terms of my love for headphones. But yeah, I did feel the 325s were a nice improvement. 

post #7459 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Yes ,I don't quite understand this myself, but even my friend came over and did some testing also, and we both definitely agreed on this side by side comparison. It is strange but I can here much more smaller details that really grab my attention with the 80's. I will hear the detail with the 325is's, but sometimes much less pronounced, and I will have to concentrate to hear them, where as the 80's they are right there and you can't miss them.

Does anyone who owns these two headphones hear what my friend and I hear?

And please just because the 325is 200$ more, please tell the truth.

Also keep in mind that I am in no way at all putting the 325is down, or have any regrets on the purchase.

These comparisons where done with the 80's being (stock) and also the 325's being (stock) out of the same sources.


I owed both for about a year, but ended up selling the 325is due to fatigue. I thought that my 325is were better at fine detail than the 80i's. In the end I still prefered the 80i's, regardless of price.

post #7460 of 26038

This thread makes me feel good about ordering the sr80i.

post #7461 of 26038

Looks like it's purely preference.  I'm with pallentx on this one however.  For me the 325i was same family, but much improved sound.  Better detail, better bass impact, better sound stage (I think that is pads more than anything).

 

The interesting thing I am hearing from some peope is that SR80i has better bass ???  I think that this can only come down to pad differences.  With stock comfy pads (s-cush) the driver is closer to the ear.  This gives impression of more bass.  If you put L-cush (bowls) on both - then to my ears, the 325i clearly has more bass impact and better definition.

 

For the 325i owners (again only my opinion) - 2 symmetrical holes in each driver adds enough additional bass to balance these nicely.  I also switched to a full woody.  These are still cans with a very bright and detailed signature - but for me they are only sibilant if it's in the recording.

 

Love my 325is - and as good as the SR80i and SR60i are for the price, I still have no regrets and would never go back.

post #7462 of 26038

I struggled over my decision. I remember reading that a certain number of people felt that the 225i was a sweet spot. After auditioning, I agreed and purchased them. Also, I felt that $200 was a reasonable price point for my first cans...otherwise I might have gone for the RSIi, although I still haven't heard them.

post #7463 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Man View Post

This thread makes me feel good about ordering the sr80i.

 

You'll feel even better once you give them a listen :)  

post #7464 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

You'll feel even better once you give them a listen :)  

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Looks like it's purely preference.  I'm with pallentx on this one however.  For me the 325i was same family, but much improved sound.  Better detail, better bass impact, better sound stage (I think that is pads more than anything).

 

The interesting thing I am hearing from some peope is that SR80i has better bass ???  I think that this can only come down to pad differences.  With stock comfy pads (s-cush) the driver is closer to the ear.  This gives impression of more bass.  If you put L-cush (bowls) on both - then to my ears, the 325i clearly has more bass impact and better definition.

 

For the 325i owners (again only my opinion) - 2 symmetrical holes in each driver adds enough additional bass to balance these nicely.  I also switched to a full woody.  These are still cans with a very bright and detailed signature - but for me they are only sibilant if it's in the recording.

 

Love my 325is - and as good as the SR80i and SR60i are for the price, I still have no regrets and would never go back.

Yes I feel that the 325 has more bass but... the bass on the 80 is faster and tighter and more controlled. I also feel the 80's high frequencies are more crisp, where as the 325's high frequencies are mellower, and without a doubt I feel the 325's are a smoother and warmer headphone for vocals. After doing my comparison tests I wrapped the drivers in Vibrolabs (classic) wooden cups and put (L) cushions on them, and I'm really, really enjoying them.

It is really amazing to hear other peoples input on the same headphones, I guess it comes down to each individuals hearing. Keep in mind I do love the both of them equally, but for critical listening I would grab my 80's and to just listen I would grab my325's. I actually switch every other time I listen so the other doesn't get mad.

post #7465 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

+1

Yes I feel that the 325 has more bass but... the bass on the 80 is faster and tighter and more controlled. I also feel the 80's high frequencies are more crisp, where as the 325's high frequencies are mellower, and without a doubt I feel the 325's are a smoother and warmer headphone for vocals. After doing my comparison tests I wrapped the drivers in Vibrolabs (classic) wooden cups and put (L) cushions on them, and I'm really, really enjoying them.

It is really amazing to hear other peoples input on the same headphones, I guess it comes down to each individuals hearing. Keep in mind I do love the both of them equally, but for critical listening I would grab my 80's and to just listen I would grab my325's. I actually switch every other time I listen so the other doesn't get mad.

Interesting & great to hear your impressions.

 

We'll have to disagree on our perceptions of them though beerchug.gif.  With same pads (bowls) - I find the 325i has better bass definition and impact, and much better resolution in the high end.

 

I agree with you very much on one thing though - they are both great cans, and very good value for their money.

 

For beginners getting into Grado though (especially first cans) - I would very much recommend the Alessandro MS1i as an entry point - IMO they are the best value for money (entry point) in the entire Grado/Alessandro line-up.  Saying that - I still wouldn't go back to them after my customised 325is though wink_face.gif

post #7466 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallentx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Buy the Grado SR80i, and you will be more than satisfied, especially for the price/performance. And also buy (L) cushions from Grado for them, it will make the sound stage a bit wider and give the sound more depth, they are great headphones.
The 80s are hard to beat for the price, but I have to say, I do not regret moving up to the 325is. They really kick it up a notch on detail, clarity and sub-base. I then modded my 80s with the Magnum drivers and was really blown away. Grados all have the same sound character, but there really is something to be gained with some of the pricier models.

Great! Thanks for the tip.

What I am doing is buying up lots of different cans for fun and listening to them. I will run out of cheaper prospects soon and then it's up to the price level of an 80i.

There are 4 or 5 Chinese made cans that I am getting that may be good and may be...not! smily_headphones1.gif

Then in another few months it will be up to the level of a 325i.
post #7467 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Man View Post

This thread makes me feel good about ordering the sr80i.

 

Even after almost 2 years of owning my SR80i, i'm still amazed by how good they sound, for how little they cost, so yes, you should feel good.

post #7468 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by marone View Post


Great! Thanks for the tip.

What I am doing is buying up lots of different cans for fun and listening to them. I will run out of cheaper prospects soon and then it's up to the price level of an 80i.

 

 

That's very similar to the approach I took when I started playing around with headphones. My theory was that if I found an entry level phone that really spoke to me, chances were good that I'd also like higher end offerings from that same company. That approach was a lot of fun, and it also resulted in my finding a true love for Grados :)  I had actually ruled them out after reading some very negative posts here on head-fi about them...thankfully a fellow Magnepan lover from another audio site encouraged me to try them for myself, which I did. I ordered the 80s and it was pretty much love at first listen. 

post #7469 of 26038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Interesting & great to hear your impressions.

 

We'll have to disagree on our perceptions of them though beerchug.gif.  With same pads (bowls) - I find the 325i has better bass definition and impact, and much better resolution in the high end.

 

I agree with you very much on one thing though - they are both great cans, and very good value for their money.

 

To my ears the bass on the 80s was more mid-bass, more of a good kick for rock you can feel. The 325is don't have that mid-bass bump, but they have more sub-bass that is tighter and extends deeper. I think your perception of "more" or "less" may depend on what exactly in bass you are looking for. I think a lot of the difference in perception of these phones has to do with the genre of music. I listen to a lot of acoustic music. The 325s render acoustic guitars, strings, etc beautifully. You can hear the pick clicking on the strings, fingers sliding and everything is super clean.

 

And yes, anyone ordering SR80s should feel very good about their decision. I cant think of a better way to spend $100 on headphones. Same for the 325s.

post #7470 of 26038
Great replies, thanks.

What is the current top line of Grado? That is currently made, not discontinued.

RS1, RS2, PS500 or GS1000i?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!