or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 488

post #7306 of 26972
Just finished the mod, they don't sound different, so the mission succeeded biggrin.gif


Time for bed now, good day/night!

-CH23

EDIT: the soundstage improved, bass is a bit more all around, mids and highs all sound how i like them, peaking but proportional towards eachother (i had my audio still in mono. Lol human error)
Edited by CH23 - 5/17/13 at 4:02pm
post #7307 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee1 View Post

If you have ever owned or demo'ed a pair of sr60i's, how closely do they approximate the sound quality of their high end brethren? If you could a % figure, what would it be?

 

This is an open question for anyone who has owned the sr60i's along with the high end models mentioned above. 

 

I have never owned the SR60i, i have heard them at the audio store when i bought my SR80i, and although i i don't like putting actual percentage numbers, especially in the case of the PS500, GS/PS1000 wich depart quite a bit from the ''Grado sound''. I won't comment on the sound signature of each one, since i have commented many times on these higher end Grado models, but if you want me to clarify something, just ask, and i will. keep in mind that these are just crude % numbers, and if some of you don't agree, with me, that's fine, i don't intend to get into an argument, especially in the Grado fan club thread, over such a trivial question, (no offence jaycee1).

 

SR60i=70%--PS500

SR60i=80%--RS1i (similar sound signature)

SR60i=65%--GS1000

SR60i=60%--PS1000


Edited by stacker45 - 5/17/13 at 6:25pm
post #7308 of 26972

Thank you for your reply. What do the higher end models offer that the 60/80i don't?

 

Is it soundstage, instrument separation, a greater sense of realism, faster transients? The only significant criticisms I have of the 60i drivers is that the soundstage is a bit narrow; that, and they don't seem to be especially fast for an open back design.

 

My koss headphones seem to be a lot faster in transients. 

post #7309 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee1 View Post

Thank you for your reply. What do the higher end models offer that the 60/80i don't?

 

Is it soundstage, instrument separation, a greater sense of realism, faster transients? The only significant criticisms I have of the 60i drivers is that the soundstage is a bit narrow; that, and they don't seem to be especially fast for an open back design.

 

My koss headphones seem to be a lot faster in transients. 

 

They do offer a wider, deeper soundstage, especially the GS and the PS1000. The PS500, GS/PS1000 will also offer a deeper more well defined bass, especially when properly amped. i find that amping makes a bigger difference on the higher end models. As far as the mids go, i give the nod to the RS1i wich is very intimate, and also the PS1000, wich is as accurate and rich sounding as the RS1i's, but just a few rows back,but like John Grado once said, you can't have a huge soundstage and an intimate midrange. When it comes to treble, my 47 years old hears prefer the PS1000's extended, detailed, airy treble, followed by the GS1000 and RS1i, the PS500's highs are a bit too rolled off for my taste, but they are much more forgiving of harsh recordings. Finally you asked about transient, and this is where i think that the difference between all Grados is the least significant, but if i had to chose some favorites, i'd say that Grado is on to something in using a combination of wood and metal in the manufacturing of the PS500's and PS1000's earcups.

 

Don't forget, this is just one man's opinion.

post #7310 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

. i find that amping makes a bigger difference on the higher end models. 

 

That's definitely true for the GS1k...I was really surprised how much improved it was out of my Corda Jazz, whereas my other Grados all sound great even out of my Kindle Fire. That's one of the nice things about the 500s is that they sound great to me out of just about anything. The Kindle with the 500s is one hell of a great experience even with MP3 quality music. The GS1ks really NEED a good amp, though, and Im sure the same is true of the PS1ks. 

post #7311 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

Just finished the mod, they don't sound different, so the mission succeeded biggrin.gif


Time for bed now, good day/night!

-CH23

EDIT: the soundstage improved, bass is a bit more all around, mids and highs all sound how i like them, peaking but proportional towards eachother (i had my audio still in mono. Lol human error)

good to hear!
post #7312 of 26972
Turtle beach x-12 pads slip straight onto the comfies, makes my sr125i seem slightly warmer. (quarter modded underneath the new pads)
post #7313 of 26972

Alright Grado fans, I've been rocking the SR-60is for a long time and I love them. I'm ready for a new pair, and I'm stuck between the SR-225i and the RS-2i. I know, the RS-2i is, of course, the better pair of cans, but I'd have to wait a while longer and save some more money to get those. I'm cool with waiting, but those are $500, while the SR-225i is only $200. So I'm wondering, are the RS-2is worth the wait, or should I just go with the SR-225is as an incremental step? 

post #7314 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes008 View Post

Alright Grado fans, I've been rocking the SR-60is for a long time and I love them. I'm ready for a new pair, and I'm stuck between the SR-225i and the RS-2i. I know, the RS-2i is, of course, the better pair of cans, but I'd have to wait a while longer and save some more money to get those. I'm cool with waiting, but those are $500, while the SR-225i is only $200. So I'm wondering, are the RS-2is worth the wait, or should I just go with the SR-225is as an incremental step? 

Keep an eye out here at the forums buy/sell/trade and maybe pick up a used pair of RS2 for about $400.....if you are thinking you would rather have those.....both are fantastic phones and I think you would be happy with either .

post #7315 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes008 View Post

Alright Grado fans, I've been rocking the SR-60is for a long time and I love them. I'm ready for a new pair, and I'm stuck between the SR-225i and the RS-2i. I know, the RS-2i is, of course, the better pair of cans, but I'd have to wait a while longer and save some more money to get those. I'm cool with waiting, but those are $500, while the SR-225i is only $200. So I'm wondering, are the RS-2is worth the wait, or should I just go with the SR-225is as an incremental step? 

If i were you, i would really go to someplace where you can hear them, before deciding.

Maybe you're more happy with the 225i than the Rs2i.

That the RS2i's are "better" is very objective, while your hearing and what you like isn't.

-CH23
post #7316 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


If i were you, i would really go to someplace where you can hear them, before deciding.
 

 

+1 ... do that, but be aware that you need to give yourself some time w/ these phones listening to music you know well.  If the retailer will let you bring in a laptop/iPod/phone with your own music and leave you alone to listen for a while (at least 1/2 hour), then this is the way to go.  I did this with a local retailer and walked out the RS2i, doing the same comparison you are looking at, but also included the RS1i.

 

If you can't do that, my advice is to start with 225i - they sound pretty great, will save you some money, and as your tastes change/grow, you can always sell them and move on.  Just my $0.02...

post #7317 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

 


Si the black fabric behind the driver, use a ball point pen so you don't damage the driver... on my 225i it did not affect the clarity, just added some bottom end. as far as the rs2 goes I don't know, however you can then use a spent dryer sheet to undo the mod... although it is kinda difficult... so go slowly and live with the changes for awhile before going further...

 

the whole point of venting plus g-cush is so gain comfort and sound stage, while retaining bass... you will have to find the sweet spot, but yes you can end up with the same about of bass as your non modded l-cush setup.


now this sounds like it might be a very good thing

post #7318 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


now this sounds like it might be a very good thing

It was. I've had my RS-2+G-pads on for about 10 hours now, still comfortable, and not lacking bass.
post #7319 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

It was. I've had my RS-2+G-pads on for about 10 hours now, still comfortable, and not lacking bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


now this sounds like it might be a very good thing

glad you like it!

I've done this mod with mu sr225i and my sr80... My magnum v5 build remains untouched because its such a different driver on it own. You should also dampen the back of the driver with blue tack or felt (do not cover the holes) it helps reduce odd vibrations and sound reflection inside the cup (the effect is minimal, but if you notice any echoing this will help mitigate it)
post #7320 of 26972
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post



glad you like it!

I've done this mod with mu sr225i and my sr80... My magnum v5 build remains untouched because its such a different driver on it own. You should also dampen the back of the driver with blue tack or felt (do not cover the holes) it helps reduce odd vibrations and sound reflection inside the cup (the effect is minimal, but if you notice any echoing this will help mitigate it)


i have 225's, the ms1's i have(with l-cushes), i tried tape on them, too much bass, over powered the highs, i'm actually looking to sale, trade them, i'm always gonna have the 225 i think

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!