or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 465

post #6961 of 27754
Quote:
Originally Posted by David RoBa View Post

No amp right now, just the regular PC headphone output.

I just want this as my home music station, not interested whatsoever in portable stuff, at least not for now.

With music, have you tried EQing the bass with your PC media player?
post #6962 of 27754
The fiio e10 has a bass boost and even though it's only 50-60 bucks , sounds very good
post #6963 of 27754

I played with the foobar eq and the cans sound nice. I am truly in love with the Grado sound, just trying to get just a little bit more out of them. I am not a basshead so not much is needed to make me happy. 

 

I asked about the Aune T1 because it seems to get along well with Grados and it may be a good match for higher end cans. The E-10 sounds nice, it is an amp/dac right?

 

I can go as far as a T1 if I can get an amp/dac that fits the 225's and some other higher end headphones. If I have to get a better amp/dac, I rather wait and save for a good one that having 2 or 3 at home. That, in the end, will be more expensive and higher to explain to GFbasshead.gif

 

What about the Magnums?

post #6964 of 27754
Quote:
Originally Posted by David RoBa View Post

I played with the foobar eq and the cans sound nice. I am truly in love with the Grado sound, just trying to get just a little bit more out of them. I am not a basshead so not much is needed to make me happy. 

 

I asked about the Aune T1 because it seems to get along well with Grados and it may be a good match for higher end cans. The E-10 sounds nice, it is an amp/dac right?

 

I can go as far as a T1 if I can get an amp/dac that fits the 225's and some other higher end headphones. If I have to get a better amp/dac, I rather wait and save for a good one that having 2 or 3 at home. That, in the end, will be more expensive and higher to explain to GFbasshead.gif

 

What about the Magnums?

What about them do you want to know?

 

It's a bit hard to comment definitively on Magnums, because the housing will affect the sound, so consistency is not guaranteed. The only Magnum driver in production now is the "Turbulent X" drivers. http://turbulentlabs.com/turbulent-x-headphone-driver/

 

I have a wood-housed TX headphone, as well as a full Symphones Magnum V4 build (http://symphones.ca/). They both sound terrific, and as a generalization I can say this - Magnum drivers are very similar sounding to Grados, but with significantly improved clarity, detail, and instrument separation. Unfortunately, you can't get a full aluminum build made anymore, but you can still make your own build with the TX drivers.

 

But, one thing to note. The TX drivers are extremely detailed and have elevated treble. Any recording with sibilance will be tough to listen to. Grados are slightly more forgiving as a whole. If you can grab a second-hand Symphones Magnum V4 build (aluminum), the sound is more balanced, less sibilant, and very Grado-like but with wonderful refinement and clarity. The all-aluminum build is heavy though - mine is up for sale because I prefer the lightweight of my wood-housed TX's...though I think the V4 build has superior tonality. Can't have everything =/

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658898/symphones-magnum-v4

post #6965 of 27754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


i'm in love too, the fiio i spoke of in your post asking about amps/dacs, improved the bass of my 225's, tapes coming up next !

Another 225i lover and frequent poster here. I'm eagerly awaiting my Schiit Asgard 2 which has been on an extended back order.

 

Currently also looking at DACS.  What's on my short list? The usual suspects:

  • Bifrost-most obvious choice w/ my Asgard, but I need the USB which increases the budget by $100
  • Microstreamer (portable and cheap)
  • Peach Tree DAC-It: recently getting rave reviews-it's at the top end of my budget...but if I make one DAC purchase I'm looking for a good price point vs upgrading over and over. This one looks like a winner...IMO
post #6966 of 27754

' been out for a while...  I moved from a small 950 Sq/feet apartment to a 1,309 Sq/feet condo.

 

The moment I set foot on the new place, I set this up !  atsmile.gif

 

 

Audio Engine D1 and Alessandro MS2i w/ gunmetal Ikea floor lamp.  biggrin.gif

 

I hate moving! My back is killing me!


Edited by Awgd8 - 4/18/13 at 3:52pm
post #6967 of 27754

Looks sweet!

post #6968 of 27754

I'd try the tape mod first since it's free, and if that doesn't work, i'd get a nice low power vintage Marantz reciever for about $100, turn the bass control clockwise, and if it still not enough, press the loudness button. I bought a mint Marantz 2220B for $150, it makes for a great headphone amp, and more, plus if you decide to sell it in a few years, you might make a profit from the sell, win, win.

post #6969 of 27754
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Another 225i lover and frequent poster here. I'm eagerly awaiting my Schiit Asgard 2 which has been on an extended back order.

 

Currently also looking at DACS.  What's on my short list? The usual suspects:

  • Bifrost-most obvious choice w/ my Asgard, but I need the USB which increases the budget by $100
  • Microstreamer (portable and cheap)
  • Peach Tree DAC-It: recently getting rave reviews-it's at the top end of my budget...but if I make one DAC purchase I'm looking for a good price point vs upgrading over and over. This one looks like a winner...IMO


if , when i get another SS head amp, as of now, the asgard 2 would be the first i'd try , but i tell you, the eo9k surprised me how good it sounds

paired with the micro, i've got a great, very flexible system, and just $300

i almost bit on the t1, have heard nothing but good things about it, the section is solid state, the tube is utilized just in the dac , still interested in one

but i'd really like a hybrid, or all tube head amp, that little dot m2 ii or mkii ++ , whatever its called, or maybe a project sunrise, who knows, maybe build a crack kit

post #6970 of 27754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8 View Post

' been out for a while...  I moved from a small 950 Sq/feet apartment to a 1,309 Sq/feet condo.

 

The moment I set foot on the new place, I set this up !  atsmile.gif

 

 

Audio Engine D1 and Alessandro MS2i w/ gunmetal Ikea floor lamp.  biggrin.gif

 

I hate moving! My back is killing me!


i need a bigger desk, very nice setup !!

post #6971 of 27754
Quote:
Originally Posted by David RoBa View Post

I played with the foobar eq and the cans sound nice. I am truly in love with the Grado sound, just trying to get just a little bit more out of them. I am not a basshead so not much is needed to make me happy. 

 

I asked about the Aune T1 because it seems to get along well with Grados and it may be a good match for higher end cans. The E-10 sounds nice, it is an amp/dac right?

 

I can go as far as a T1 if I can get an amp/dac that fits the 225's and some other higher end headphones. If I have to get a better amp/dac, I rather wait and save for a good one that having 2 or 3 at home. That, in the end, will be more expensive and higher to explain to GFbasshead.gif

 

What about the Magnums?


it is a dac/amp. usb powered, its little, but quality is good, i've not had one bit of trouble with it, and its on standby should i need it, and its sounds so good, i'll listen to it just to change things up some. you could get one of those now, while you shop , research for something more substantial , but a lot of folks are happy with just it

post #6972 of 27754

I wanted to know if the Magnums do respect the Grado sound, and it seems they do. I will read some more and ask questions as they come up. I will try taping the cans and see what difference does taping make.

post #6973 of 27754
Quote:
Originally Posted by David RoBa View Post

I wanted to know if the Magnums do respect the Grado sound, and it seems they do. I will read some more and ask questions as they come up. I will try taping the cans and see what difference does taping make.

 

Yup. They sound similar to an RS1 but the sound will change a bit depending on the housing the drivers are placed in. But the general characteristic of the driver is very similar to the RS1, but it's a bit better behaved and there's less harshness with the treble. (assuming a good build)

post #6974 of 27754

Thanks once again. 

 

Where can I have a pair of Magnums put together? I believe Martin Customs Audio is great, but expensive and I do not know about anyone else.

post #6975 of 27754
Quote:
Originally Posted by David RoBa View Post

Thanks once again. 

 

Where can I have a pair of Magnums put together? I believe Martin Customs Audio is great, but expensive and I do not know about anyone else.

Besides Martin, I don't know of anyone else who does it as a trade.

 

Easiest way would be to put it together yourself. You'd just need to buy an SR60i ($80), the TX drivers ($130), L-Cush pads ($20), and commission a set of wood cups from either Martin or Jin at Turbulent Labs once he starts making them again (~$150) - http://turbulentlabs.com/classic-vibro/

 

So that's a total of...around $350-400. Cheaper if you can pick up a second-hand SR60i, since all you'd be using from it is the headband / gimbals and its cable. And even cheaper yet if you want to forego the wood cups and just use the SR60i plastic housing, but that's more tricky and not easily done cleanly.

 

But with wood-cups, it's a simple matter of soldering the cable, seating the drivers (with either some thin foam strips or with thinly cut strips of electrical tape), and you're good to go. This is what I did, and I am not personally comfortable with DIY, so that should tell you how relatively easy it is.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!