Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 457

post #6841 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphones View Post

Man, I really wish I had not come across this post!

 

Lots of reviewers (certainly not all) note that grado's are or at least can be, fatiguing for lots of listening sessions due to a treble emphasis.

 

Yet, your experience is quite different. Are you listening at lower volumes? Do you listen to a lot of music with less treble emphasis?

 


i think it can depend on what one's ears are accustomed too. up until i tried the sr60i, the best headphone , the most "expensive" the the senn hd203( $30ish), and the AT ad300( which was bought as a discontinued model) at $46 . i really liked the ad300, but it had a rattle somewhere in the housing, so it went back to amazon, and i tried the sr60.

with my home systems of the past , i generally liked, preferred a warm, lush, tube sound, exept for linn, and naim products, which are generally regarded to do the rhythm, and pace thing. something that lends itself to "musicality" .

I've heard 50- 100k systems that hurt my ears , a certain huge wilson speaker, mark levinson system pops to mind, for all the things that system did right, its brightness was awful to me.

i too was worried about the grado's "bright" reputation, but i kept hearing about its rhythem, pace, musicality i just bought from a place i could return it if i didn't like it.

well i did return it, and got the 225, and i have an alessandro ms1 on the way, due to its possibly being a little warmer.

it'll have to be damn good to make me return the 225's !! hell, i may keep both, and get a better dac, or amp, i bet the grado/alessandro's love tubes !!

i may have other headphones here and there, but i suspect i'll always have a grado from now on !!

post #6842 of 13961

@newphones

I agree with swspiers - with Grados, a lot depends on your source files (not the format/container - but rather the mastering).

 

Admittedly with my 46yo ears, I'm going to be missing a little high freq (above 16KHz is a bit of a lottery).  I have modded 325is (full woody) and I don't find them piercing or fatiguing at all with most of my music.  Instead I find them very, very clear, and really fun.  

 

I say "most" because there is the occasional album that is the exception.  Beth Hart's "Live At Paradiso" is an example of an album that doesn't go particularly well (out of a flat source like an iPhone 4).  The recording/mastering itself is quite bright/hot - so pair that with a flat source and bright phone like the 325is, and it can get pretty hard on the ears after half an hour.  Add tubes to the mix, and it becomes a lot more palatable (more mellow) IMO.

 

Get a very mellow recording like Clapton's "Unplugged" however - and the 325is are perfect (for me).

 

I've found the Grados (325i) are particularly good for well recorded Blues, Bluegrass, Classic Rock, and Jazz.  For me, Norah Jones albums are sublime on the 325is.

 

If you are very sensitive to high freq - but still want to get an idea of the Grado house sound - then the Alessandro MS1i are the perfect place to start.  They are cheap, and have the Grado clarity and edginess - with a slightly less aggressive high end.  Add bowls and they are great starting point.  It's where I first started.

post #6843 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

I know I'm a newbie here, posting maybe 5 times in 4 years.  But I am very exprerienced in other forms of audio- professional music-making and the other kinds of audio that involve big monkey-coffin sized boxes with huge drivers.

 

Based on that experience, my opinion is that the Gardos are extremely revealing, depending on the source.  While it's not audiophile by any means, I listened (watched) the opening of Season 3, Episode 1 of "The Walking Dead' on both Netfix and Amazon streaming, through the same Roku box. On Amazon- it was unbearably harsh.  On Netflix, it was thick, rich and fun to listen to.  Same primary source, same delivery source, two different providers.  I believe that the 225i's gave me what was there.  It's similar to what I've heard about the Benchmark DAC's, about them being thin and harsh.  I believe that a lot of material is mastered thinly and harshly, and accurate transducers get a bad reputation for doing so.  My bet is Amazon and Netflix are using slightly different compression and delivery technology.

 

Yes- the Grados are unbearable if the source has a lot of high-energy in the treble.  I will not be listening to a lot of 80's-produced CD's that were mastered in the first few generations of Redbook.  I will be listening to a lot of SACD and DVD-Audio along with hi-rez downloads.  Also,  I love my hearing.  I never blast anything unless it's my bass guitar rig, and even then I wear earplugs.

 

Please take this observation with a grain of salt. My experience level with 'cans is pretty limited.  I hope to change that from now on- I really enjoyed the past two days!


you may be a noob, i may be a noob, as far as head-fi goes, but i know garbage in, is garbage out ! the trick, for me at least is finding a balance of resolving, detail, yet forgiving of lesser source material.

post #6844 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

@newphones

I agree with swspiers - with Grados, a lot depends on your source files (not the format/container - but rather the mastering).

 

Admittedly with my 46yo ears, I'm going to be missing a little high freq (above 16KHz is a bit of a lottery).  I have modded 325is (full woody) and I don't find them piercing or fatiguing at all with most of my music.  Instead I find them very, very clear, and really fun.  

 

I say "most" because there is the occasional album that is the exception.  Beth Hart's "Live At Paradiso" is an example of an album that doesn't go particularly well (out of a flat source like an iPhone 4).  The recording/mastering itself is quite bright/hot - so pair that with a flat source and bright phone like the 325is, and it can get pretty hard on the ears after half an hour.  Add tubes to the mix, and it becomes a lot more palatable (more mellow) IMO.

 

Get a very mellow recording like Clapton's "Unplugged" however - and the 325is are perfect (for me).

 

I've found the Grados (325i) are particularly good for well recorded Blues, Bluegrass, Classic Rock, and Jazz.  For me, Norah Jones albums are sublime on the 325is.

 

If you are very sensitive to high freq - but still want to get an idea of the Grado house sound - then the Alessandro MS1i are the perfect place to start.  They are cheap, and have the Grado clarity and edginess - with a slightly less aggressive high end.  Add bowls and they are great starting point.  It's where I first started.


when my ms1's get there, the first thing i'm going to do is listen to them ! the second thing i'm going to do is put the bowls from the 225's,

on the ms1 !

post #6845 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


when my ms1's get there, the first thing i'm going to do is listen to them ! the second thing i'm going to do is put the bowls from the 225's,

on the ms1 !

 

....... and then once you've had them a while, start tinkering with them ....... headband, damping, homemade cable, new cups .......

 

That's where I started - still don't regret a thing on the journey wink.gif

post #6846 of 13961

Just bought an open box PS500 from headphonebar here in Canada. Should be getting it this coming week. I actually owned these before but sold them when I got into Stax gear.

 

I'm currently splitting my headphone time between a markl modded D7000 and a lovely DIY V5 Magnum I got from another poster here (low profile walnut cups and sleeves).

 

I like the MD7000 a ton but, like all over ear headphones with leather pads, they make my ears sweat after around 20 minutes. that's why I bought the Magnums when they popped up on here for a good price. I wanted a higher end on-ear headphone.

 

But I can only really enjoy the Magnum sound with flat pads. Otherwise it's just too trebly for my ears. and there's zero soundstage width or depth with flats.

 

So, yeah, I'm heading back to the PS500. Decided to get these again since I know they deliver the tone I want and they have a pretty great soundstage with the L cush bowls. they're also really light. I'm looking forward to owning these again. They're the best Grados for my taste - and that includes the GS/PS1000 models.

post #6847 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


you may be a noob, i may be a noob, as far as head-fi goes, but i know garbage in, is garbage out ! the trick, for me at least is finding a balance of resolving, detail, yet forgiving of lesser source material.

That's a tough combination of traits to expect out of a headphone. The headphone I've tried that best matches that description is the Hifiman HE-500. You may look into it. Skip past the HE-400.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

Just bought an open box PS500 from headphonebar here in Canada. Should be getting it this coming week. I actually owned these before but sold them when I got into Stax gear.

 

I'm currently splitting my headphone time between a markl modded D7000 and a lovely DIY V5 Magnum I got from another poster here (low profile walnut cups and sleeves).

 

I like the MD7000 a ton but, like all over ear headphones with leather pads, they make my ears sweat after around 20 minutes. that's why I bought the Magnums when they popped up on here for a good price. I wanted a higher end on-ear headphone.

 

But I can only really enjoy the Magnum sound with flat pads. Otherwise it's just too trebly for my ears. and there's zero soundstage width or depth with flats.

 

So, yeah, I'm heading back to the PS500. Decided to get these again since I know they deliver the tone I want and they have a pretty great soundstage with the L cush bowls. they're also really light. I'm looking forward to owning these again. They're the best Grados for my taste - and that includes the GS/PS1000 models.

I can understand this. I really like my V5's / Turbulent X's, but they are perhaps the most treble-oriented headphones I've tried. I listen at low volumes, so this is not a troubling issue to me, but they are very bright headphones and do tend to rip apart sibilant recordings. On the other hand, they're also the most detailed, clear sounding headphones I've heard, and I really enjoy the soundstage presentation, despite being on-ear.

post #6848 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitz View Post

That's a tough combination of traits to expect out of a headphone. The headphone I've tried that best matches that description is the Hifiman HE-500. You may look into it. Skip past the HE-400.

I can understand this. I really like my V5's / Turbulent X's, but they are perhaps the most treble-oriented headphones I've tried. I listen at low volumes, so this is not a troubling issue to me, but they are very bright headphones and do tend to rip apart sibilant recordings. On the other hand, they're also the most detailed, clear sounding headphones I've heard, and I really enjoy the soundstage presentation, despite being on-ear.

the traits I spoke of are pretty tough for any piece of audio gear, and I'm guessing even tougher for headphones, compromises have to me made, like I said earlier , I've been into audio for a while, but very new to the headphone, pc kinda thing , I'm a newbie, I have much to learn !
post #6849 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

the traits I spoke of are pretty tough for any piece of audio gear, and I'm guessing even tougher for headphones, compromises have to me made, like I said earlier , I've been into audio for a while, but very new to the headphone, pc kinda thing , I'm a newbie, I have much to learn !

Generally I think the issue you're going to run into is that resolving/accurate/etc equipment is designed with the intent of letting you know how good (or bad) the signal is. There are plenty of headphones that are forgiving (and most of them are inexpensive), but they won't generally be the kings of resolution and detail. For example the Bose AE2 are very good with "bad" media, but are far from the final word in overall resolution. The RS-1, by contrast, will show you just how dumpy your 128k mp3 rips of Heroin's debut LP are (anyone crying just thinking about this?), but will play very nice with a good CD or LP (or whatever other format).

The easiest solution (IMHO/IME) is to just have multiple headphones. redface.gif
post #6850 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Generally I think the issue you're going to run into is that resolving/accurate/etc equipment is designed with the intent of letting you know how good (or bad) the signal is. There are plenty of headphones that are forgiving (and most of them are inexpensive), but they won't generally be the kings of resolution and detail. For example the Bose AE2 are very good with "bad" media, but are far from the final word in overall resolution. The RS-1, by contrast, will show you just how dumpy your 128k mp3 rips of Heroin's debut LP are (anyone crying just thinking about this?), but will play very nice with a good CD or LP (or whatever other format).

The easiest solution (IMHO/IME) is to just have multiple headphones. redface.gif

 

+1 and Amen, brother.  I am a contractor and, as such, sit in an office space with a "variety" of workers - some of whom are very young and will not stop jabbering.  So, I went back to my Bose QC-15s for their superb noise canceling.  I was listening to some lower bit-rate MP3s and was surprised how much I enjoyed the sound with those cans.

post #6851 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

 

So, yeah, I'm heading back to the PS500. Decided to get these again since I know they deliver the tone I want and they have a pretty great soundstage with the L cush bowls. they're also really light. I'm looking forward to owning these again. They're the best Grados for my taste - and that includes the GS/PS1000 models.

I'm also gonna start looking for a pair of these since I bought 2 Rs1's. One is an older "classic A" Rs1 and the other is the buttonless version right before the Rs1i came out(same thing except that mine has the thinner, older cable). The older pair sounds best with flats to me, but like you said there's not much width or depth to the soundstage. The newer pair sounds best with L cush bowls, but at times the treble is bothersome. 

I'm thinking the Ps500 is more of what I'm looking for, which is the sound I'm getting from the older Rs1 with Flats, but with more depth and width to the soundstage.

 

 

 

post #6852 of 13961

hey y'all, a question

i have the 225's, and the ms1's should be here today, or tomorrow, i know i'll keep one, maybe both

i had to send the d1 back, volume and channel problems

using just the e10

i was pretty pleased with the d1, decent sound, very convenient.

i think i may try something new

budget < $300 for dac/amp combined,

could be 1 unit combined, or separated

i know its not a whole lot, but 3 bills is the max right now

short list:

hrt microstreamer

centrance dacport

ifi idac

aune t1

modi/ magni, various tube headamps, bravo, little dots, etc

or any combination of the above, or  whatever you have tried that pairs well with grados in general

thanks !!

post #6853 of 13961

If your PC is the only source I like the HRT Headstreamer or Audioengine D1.

HRT is a better engineered product but D1 has more features.

post #6854 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

If your PC is the only source I like the HRT Headstreamer or Audioengine D1.

HRT is a better engineered product but D1 has more features.


yeah, i really liked the d1's features, usability , but the one i had channel that was cutting out, and the volume control at low levels , the signal would cut in and out

i could still return it, so i did

i'm familiar with hrt's rep, but have never heard any of their products, and with the new microstreamer, i might just go for that, its getting great press

i had the modi briefly, i almost ended up with it, but opted for the features of the d1, and it being a single unit,

anyway, in the past i listened more to my a2's than headphones, but not, its more headphones,

i found a used dacport for $ 230 something,

hell, i may try them all, that'd be the fun thing to do !

i'd like to get a tube in the mix somewhere though

yeah, pc is the source, and its gonna stay put

post #6855 of 13961
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

hey y'all, a question
i have the 225's, and the ms1's should be here today, or tomorrow, i know i'll keep one, maybe both
i had to send the d1 back, volume and channel problems
using just the e10
i was pretty pleased with the d1, decent sound, very convenient.
i think i may try something new
budget < $300 for dac/amp combined,
could be 1 unit combined, or separated
i know its not a whole lot, but 3 bills is the max right now
short list:
hrt microstreamer
centrance dacport
ifi idac
aune t1
modi/ magni, various tube headamps, bravo, little dots, etc
or any combination of the above, or  whatever you have tried that pairs well with grados in general
thanks !!

I've enjoyed my Little Dot I+ hybrid tube amp. David, the owner of Little Dot, was a joy to communicate with, one of the best customer experiences I have had. I went with the WE408A tube upgrade, but as you can see in the thread below, lots of discussion about different tube rolling options:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/364043/little-dot-i-tube-rolling

I really like how the warmer sound of the tubes tame the highs a little on my SR225i.

The Little Dot I+ would then leave you plenty of money for a Schiit Modi or ODAC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!