Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 413

post #6181 of 18176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

I disagree.  Grados are singularly well-damped.  (See some of purrin's graphs and reports on Grado decay.)  Connecting them to the current-FOTM super-low-output-impedance amplifers causes them to over-damp, resulting in the harshness and tizziness that many people cite for their dislike of Grados.  The reason Grados do well with many tube amps is not necessarily the "warmth of tubes," but that the output impedance is quite a bit higher than your run-of-the-mill low-output-impedance SS amp.  Grados do quite well on 15 ohm output impedance and higher.

 

This gets complicated to a certain extent because the low impedance of Grados causes fall-off with OTL amps as lowering the bass cut-off point results in extremely large and super-expensive output capacitors (which means shortcuts/cheaper alternatives are often used). Hybrids experience this fault, too, because many of their output buffers still require blocking caps and unless sized large enough, cause bass roll-off or phase distortion in low frequency response.

 

Bottom line, for the best sound with Grados - finding the right amplification is not necessarily so simple

I couldn't agree more.

A lot of amplifiers do work well with Grados due to their (Grados') low impedance & high sensitivity. Heck, they sound pretty good straight out of the iPod.

But to get your Grados to sound their best you'll need to search for the amp...OR select from my list wink_face.gif

 

Beginning with the least preferred :

 

5.Melos SHA1

4. WA22

3. EAR HP4

2. ECBA

1. MAD+ EAR 

 

Just get the Mapletree and you'll save a lot of time and money.

IMHO, obviously.

post #6182 of 18176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHZADA123 View Post

I couldn't agree more.

A lot of amplifiers do work well with Grados due to their (Grados') low impedance & high sensitivity. Heck, they sound pretty good straight out of the iPod.

But to get your Grados to sound their best you'll need to search for the amp...OR select from my list wink_face.gif

 

Beginning with the least preferred :

 

5.Melos SHA1

4. WA22

3. EAR HP4

2. ECBA

1. MAD+ EAR 

 

Just get the Mapletree and you'll save a lot of time and money.

IMHO, obviously.

 

That's what I would do... it's a "tried and true" combination, which absolutely no one (that I've seen on this forum) has ever less than "raved about," as being, the best match for Grados.  Seem's like a "no-brainer" to me.  In fact, I often think I'll spring for a MAD amp myself - just for my Grados.  But, I'm sure it would mate well with Denons and ATH's also.  

post #6183 of 18176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan2 View Post

 

That's what I would do... it's a "tried and true" combination, which absolutely no one (that I've seen on this forum) has ever less than "raved about," as being, the best match for Grados.  Seem's like a "no-brainer" to me.  In fact, I often think I'll spring for a MAD amp myself - just for my Grados.  But, I'm sure it would mate well with Denons and ATH's also.  

I'm also interested in this MAD headphone amp, can you guy's tell me the price and the exact model you are talking about , so I can do some further research? Thanks.

post #6184 of 18176

I havent had an MAD headamp yet, but I can tell you that Dr.P is a great guy and very helpful if you shoot an email off to him. I bought my first tube preamp from MAD and it was an amazing experience. I often regret selling it cause it was a beautiful piece. 

post #6185 of 18176
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I'm also interested in this MAD headphone amp, can you guy's tell me the price and the exact model you are talking about , so I can do some further research? Thanks.

looks like very close to $800 assembled and shipped to the U.S.frown.gif ....time to sell some stuff and save me penniesevil_smiley.gif


Edited by wormsdriver - 1/23/13 at 2:23am
post #6186 of 18176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

I havent had an MAD headamp yet, but I can tell you that Dr.P is a great guy and very helpful if you shoot an email off to him. I bought my first tube preamp from MAD and it was an amazing experience. I often regret selling it cause it was a beautiful piece. 


+1... The Doc is great to deal with.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6187 of 18176
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I'm also interested in this MAD headphone amp, can you guy's tell me the price and the exact model you are talking about , so I can do some further research? Thanks.

Here you go...simply the best Grado amp I've heard:

 

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

 

The MAD Ear+HD with stock tubes runs $760. But you'll want to upgrade the 12AX7/5751 stock Sovtek pretty quick. wink.gif

post #6188 of 18176

Thanks guy's for the info on the mapletree headphone amp, but I'll have to hold off for a while I  didn't realize it was that expensive!!!

post #6189 of 18176

Doe's anybody know if Grado replaced the SR325is (sparkle silver) with (black) ear cup's? I'm asking because there is a guy claiming to have a pair of 325is's with black ear cup's for sale on eBay. I know way back they made the ear cup's black, but they where not (is) model's.

post #6190 of 18176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Here you go...simply the best Grado amp I've heard:

 

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

 

The MAD Ear+HD with stock tubes runs $760. But you'll want to upgrade the 12AX7/5751 stock Sovtek pretty quick. wink.gif

 

Your Raptors played a great game and almost pulled it out P....beerchug.gif

 

I have tried a few on the Ear + HD but my favorite is the 7025 tube.  Smoooooth...

 

Cheers!!!

 

A little Grados MAD love....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #6191 of 18176
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatFan12 View Post

 

Your Raptors played a great game and almost pulled it out P....beerchug.gif

 

I have tried a few on the Ear + HD but my favorite is the 7025 tube.  Smoooooth...

 

Cheers!!!

 

A little Grados MAD love....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Almost! LoL, but I was busy watching the Leaf game tonight (we beat the Penguins 5-2). Oh well, at least we beat the Lakers over the weekend.

 

Love the photos! Great combo and one for the ages the RS1/EAR+HD!

 

The 7025 Sylvania is a fantastic tube too!

post #6192 of 18176
don't think so, black 325s sound like the old, very collectible version, with hp1000 drivers
post #6193 of 18176
Nice P...

OT in Miami with the Raptors. Great game. DWade with 35 and LBJ with a triple double. Jose was on fire for Toronto.

Indeed. Sylvania 7025 is what I have in the Ear+HD now. Sweeeet!

Cheers!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6194 of 18176

my 2 fave Grado RS1 amps are the ECSS and GS-1.  Sadly both were discontinued long ago.

post #6195 of 18176

so is the old MAD Ear+ as good as MAD Ear + HD? Anybody know the difference? I only want it for Grados.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!