Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 395

post #5911 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

I can't even begin to tell you how f-ing annoyed I was getting by the slippage on my GS1ks...Martin's rodblocks were the ticket and it's really been a great investment. Some likely will consider them pricey, and I can't disagree, but it was a very worthwhile purchase for me. 

I came across the same problem with my MS2i's and read some post's on how people would crazy glue the rod to the rod blocks, wich I could not believe what I was reading! So I went to my local hobby store and purchased what are called (collars) in a nice chrome finish with set screw's in them along with some rubber O-rings, placing the O-ring onto the top of the rod's first to protect the plastic rod block's from the metal coller's, then sliding the collar on top of the O-ring and locking them to my adjustment with the set screw's and they could not have worked out better. I too was considering the martins rod blocks but they were too pricey for me, and that would have lead me to more and more custom upgrades and would have got very expensive (just about the price of my headphone's) and could not justify spending that much on cosmetic's but I wish I could have. Good for you, enjoy!

post #5912 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I came across the same problem with my MS2i's and read some post's on how people would crazy glue the rod to the rod blocks, wich I could not believe what I was reading! So I went to my local hobby store and purchased what are called (collars) in a nice chrome finish with set screw's in them along with some rubber O-rings, placing the O-ring onto the top of the rod's first to protect the plastic rod block's from the metal coller's, then sliding the collar on top of the O-ring and locking them to my adjustment with the set screw's and they could not have worked out better. I too was considering the martins rod blocks but they were too pricey for me, and that would have lead me to more and more custom upgrades and would have got very expensive (just about the price of my headphone's) and could not justify spending that much on cosmetic's but I wish I could have. Good for you, enjoy!

 

Even tough i always lay my PS1000s flat when i'm not using them, i'm affraid that eventually gravity will take it's tool, so, if it's possible, could you post a pic of your headphones?

post #5913 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

Even tough i always lay my PS1000s flat when i'm not using them, i'm affraid that eventually gravity will take it's tool, so, if it's possible, could you post a pic of your headphones?

 First I have to learn how to send pic's to this forum (if I am allowed) I've only joined this forum recently, if I can I definitly will figure out how to do it and will post a few pic's in the morning for you.

post #5914 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I came across the same problem with my MS2i's and read some post's on how people would crazy glue the rod to the rod blocks, wich I could not believe what I was reading! So I went to my local hobby store and purchased what are called (collars) in a nice chrome finish with set screw's in them along with some rubber O-rings, placing the O-ring onto the top of the rod's first to protect the plastic rod block's from the metal coller's, then sliding the collar on top of the O-ring and locking them to my adjustment with the set screw's and they could not have worked out better. I too was considering the martins rod blocks but they were too pricey for me, and that would have lead me to more and more custom upgrades and would have got very expensive (just about the price of my headphone's) and could not justify spending that much on cosmetic's but I wish I could have. Good for you, enjoy!

 

Very nice! I didn't even think about shaft collars...I remember someone mentioning those a while back but they didn't even cross my mind. Like stacker said, pics are very much encouraged! :D

post #5915 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

 First I have to learn how to send pic's to this forum (if I am allowed) I've only joined this forum recently, if I can I definitly will figure out how to do it and will post a few pic's in the morning for you.

You can actually upload them here (no need to host them externally) - just click the little picture icon in the post reply box, and pick the image(s) you want from your computer. I think you have enough posts to post images (I think you only need like 10 posts).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

Very nice! I didn't even think about shaft collars...I remember someone mentioning those a while back but they didn't even cross my mind. Like stacker said, pics are very much encouraged! biggrin.gif

Hey man, I suggested zipties. Shaft collars is a prettier way to do it indeed. smily_headphones1.gif
post #5916 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post



Hey man, I suggested zipties. 

 

That you did! biggrin.gif

post #5917 of 17371

Have iGrados and some SR325s . Started with SR80s which I got in a hi fi shop in Leicester back in 1998. Passed them onto my cousin who now has SR80i's . Great sound from all that I've listened to. Only problem.....comfort. Use Audio Technica AD700s for long time listening.

post #5918 of 17371

Sorry guy's, I understand how to send the pic's onto my post (thank's for the tip) but I have an old IBM think pad laptop wich doe's not accept the card from the camera, also I don't have the cable to plug in direct.To (STACKER45), there is no problem with the headphone's laying flat with the collar's on at all, I also only lay mine flat, they are not in the way at all, the driver's are still able to rotate 360 degree's, they do not restrict at all. Will try to pick up a cable from the electronic's store in the near future and send some pic's, the collar's look like they belong on the rod's from the factory. If I remember the hole deal cost under 5$ U.S, really work's out well.

 

If you search on BING (shaft collar's) image's will come up of the one's I used, I used the one piece collar's with the single set screw, so at least you can see the collar's. 


Edited by joseph69 - 12/29/12 at 9:52am
post #5919 of 17371

Anyone tried or thinking of trying the Schiit Magni?

 

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

Looks like a great match for Grados with 1.2W at 32 ohms and output impedance of less than 0.1 ohms.

post #5920 of 17371
I use zip ties. One advantage of zips over set screw collars is that you can still adjust the size without loosening the set screws. Also if you catch the cable on something the zips will slide up the gimbal rod and not stress the cable/driver connection. You can also leave a little extra zip length when you trim which will contact the headband and stop the cups from spinning around. Cheap, strong and light!
post #5921 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitz View Post

Anyone tried or thinking of trying the Schiit Magni?

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13


Looks like a great match for Grados with 1.2W at 32 ohms and output impedance of less than 0.1 ohms.

Can't say I have - I know from talking to Jason that the Asgard (at least at the time) is/was the only amp he had that he would suggest for Grados. I'm sure you could e-mail them and ask about the Magni though - I'm guessing they'll give it the okay (Grados don't need much to drive them - 1.2W is like hooking them up to a supercollider!).

I can say, however, that the Musical Fidelity V-CAN-II is a fantastic choice, and I think one of the other chaps in here has an older version of the Musical Fidelity headamp and enjoys his as well. The hi-fi shop that used to be near me suggested one of the X-CAN amps for Grados "in the day" as well - I don't know if there's anything to Musical Fidelity and Grado, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
post #5922 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

I use zip ties. One advantage of zips over set screw collars is that you can still adjust the size without loosening the set screws. Also if you catch the cable on something the zips will slide up the gimbal rod and not stress the cable/driver connection. You can also leave a little extra zip length when you trim which will contact the headband and stop the cups from spinning around. Cheap, strong and light!

Also the cable going inside the cup/driver is also zip tied to prevent you from pulling the cable off of the driver's. I like the idea that your method prevent's the driver's from spinning all the way around, I'm currently thinking about a solution myself to allow the driver's to move abouy 100 degree's so I can place them down flat when not in use, and when I use them they still have enough movement to shape my head without being restricted. BTW I never let my cup's spin at all, the cable is staight as a pin, I put them on/off the same way everytime from day one. I'm the only person who listen's to my headphone's, so they are treated with great care..

post #5923 of 17371

Maybe we should start wearing zip ties like dog ears, a la DeMarcus Ware

post #5924 of 17371

Just ordered a pair of PS500s from a local dealer.  Should have them within two weeks.  I've been listening to the demo pair a lot and I am impressed.

post #5925 of 17371
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTrack View Post

Just ordered a pair of PS500s from a local dealer.  Should have them within two weeks.  I've been listening to the demo pair a lot and I am impressed.

How is the sound signature, from what I read they are the grado with the most bass, but are the mid's foward like the SR/RS model's and how are the high's, sounstage, and clarity, are they warm with vocal's? Just curious I've never heard them. Thank's.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!