or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 357

post #5341 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Wha? The SR325is's highs? They were the most fatiguing painful headphones (not just Grado) that I've had on my head. YMMV of course, but thinking of the SR325s still has the hairs on the back of my neck stand up at attention. tongue.gif I owned them for a month and ditched them for the RS1s and never looked back. Sounds like your RS1is had "issues" or needed burn-in?

 

For those who think the RS1s have too much treble energy, then the PS500s would definitely be the way to go. 

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B%5D=293&graphID%5B%5D=3331

I heard that the RS1s has a slight difference in sound sig. than the RS1i....  Have you tried the RS1i for more than 8 hours? 

I prefer the 325is than the RS1i if running without  amp.


Edited by Awgd8 - 10/31/12 at 7:25pm
post #5342 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8 View Post

I heard that the RS1s has a slight difference in sound sig. than the RS1i....  Have you tried the RS1i for more than 8 hours? 

I prefer the 325is than the RS1i if running without  amp.

I've owned the RS1, RS1 buttonless and RS1i. regular_smile%20.gif

 

The SR325is when I owned them couldn't get more than 30 minutes without me screaming in pain. 

post #5343 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

I've owned the RS1, RS1 buttonless and RS1i. regular_smile%20.gif

 

The SR325is when I owned them couldn't get more than 30 minutes without me screaming in pain

I think it also depends on the Genre of music we listen to.  

post #5344 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8 View Post

I think it also depends on the Genre of music we listen to.  

Could be, could be upstream gear, or even HRTF too. But might be your particular pair as you mentioned one driver was off?

post #5345 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8 View Post

I think it also depends on the Genre of music we listen to.  

Agreed.

 

Could also be because someone's typical listening volume. I have no doubt my SR255is would be more fatiguing at a high SPL level in comparison to my ATH-A900Xs. 

post #5346 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

I think you'll agree Focker that you and i often see things the same way,i like you're moderate and objective comments,and i find inspiring the fact that you like you're PS500s so much,and i'm not surprised that you like them better than the more expensive GS1000i,at this price point especially,we start talking about sidegrade,instead of upgrade.

 

For the others who might not be familiar with my the way i see things,here i go bambling on again,like Focker mentions,we all hear differently,(i believe that it's not that peoples can't hear the PS500's midbass emphasis or the SR325i's brightness,they probably do,but that's just the type of sound they prefer,and they're nothing wrong with that),also,we all have different sound systems and musical preferences,the way i see it,it's like we're making a puzzle for wich the headphones are the last piece,like ying and yiang if you will.

 

That is why,i try to stay objective when i make comment about a pair of headphones,who am i to say the the SR325 are TOO bright,orthat the PS500s have TOO much midbass,now,i think that most will agree that they sound brighter than the PS500,but they

might just fit someone elses puzzle perfectly

 

As always,take this with a grain of salt as it's just one man's opinion.

 

Thanks for that, man....much appreciated. And I agree, we often do see things very similarly. The whole idea of people hearing differently is becoming one of the most interesting aspects of this hobby to me. If you take away the fanboy stuff and the graph warriors (no offense to the graph warriors) and just get down to pure subjective impressions, the variation among head-fi'ers is really fascinating. Even people who others view as being very reliable and credible sources will often have differing views on the same headphone....unless they all are just reading graphs and using that to form their subjective opinions....to me, that's nonsense. (But again, no offense to those who practice nonsense.)  But yeah, there is a whole world of great headphones and gear out there. I get excited when someone else finds a love for Grados, of course...it's always fun to compare notes and find others you have something in common with. But just as well, I think it's great when someone discovers that Grado may not be for them, and it propels them on their search until they DO find something that meets with their approval. 

 

This hobby rules :)

post #5347 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

 

 

The SR325is when I owned them couldn't get more than 30 minutes without me screaming in pain. 

 

So know we know what to tell your wife to do when she wants to have her way! muah ha ha

post #5348 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8 View Post

I am loving the PS500s right now!  Totally the opposite  impression the night I spent along with the RS1i.  

 

 

 

I love how some people fall in love with the RS-1s, and some fall for the 500s....just further proof that this price point ($600ish) is one where Grado hit it out of the park. 

post #5349 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B%5D=293&graphID%5B%5D=3331

Where are the RS1i graphs? I've been waiting for them forever.

post #5350 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

I've owned the RS1, RS1 buttonless and RS1i. regular_smile%20.gif

 

The SR325is when I owned them couldn't get more than 30 minutes without me screaming in pain. 

I suspect there's a fair bit of inconsistency within models. Two of the RS1i's I have tried sounded pretty darn fatiguing. One of them sounded quite different. It felt more distant, airier, and almost pleasant compared to the other two.

Granted, I only got into Grado headphones in the last year, but my experience with auditioning SR325is has been that they are not the screech-trains so many talk about. Not only that, I owned a pair for a couple months and enjoyed them without fatigue. Compare the SR80i I tried and the SR225i I owned for 6 months, and the SR325is was seriously easier on the ears.

I think there's more to do with inconsistency of product production here than inconsistency of the ears hearing them.

post #5351 of 27752

Just started talks with Martin about building a full wooden setup with Magnum V4 drivers.  I'm considering Ambonya Burl cups and Gabon Ebony gimbals/rodblocks, wooden distancers so I can use the G-cush pads, and a lambskin headband.

Still working out how different wood types affect sound...What's the difference between RS1-style cups and mushrooms cups?

Are XLR jacks important?  Are they any better than the 1/4" jacks?  The built-in XLR jacks in the cups look sexy as hell, but my Grado 15ft cable doesn't use XLR.

post #5352 of 27752
I honestly think the 325i is a terrible headphone and that Grado needs to massively revamp its sound signature. I was very displeased by the bloated midrange, deadly highs and boring low end. The speakers reminded me of a Bose car stereo; it can go loud, it's just very unpleasant with nothing captivating at loud volumes. I suspect the people who like the 325i also like Klipsch's horn loaded tweeters in their speakers, which I also find unbearable due to the highs. I really find the SR60i and the 80i the only enjoyable Grado headphones, though.
post #5353 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valicious View Post

Just started talks with Martin about building a full wooden setup with Magnum V4 drivers.  I'm considering Ambonya Burl cups and Gabon Ebony gimbals/rodblocks, wooden distancers so I can use the G-cush pads, and a lambskin headband.

Still working out how different wood types affect sound...What's the difference between RS1-style cups and mushrooms cups?

Are XLR jacks important?  Are they any better than the 1/4" jacks?  The built-in XLR jacks in the cups look sexy as hell, but my Grado 15ft cable doesn't use XLR.

1. Don't spend too much time trying to figure out how the different wood sound. Ask Martin if he thinks there's any difference and go with his council.

2. The differences between RS1 and mushroom cups are cosmetic. The inner cup (air chamber) are the same size. The mushrooms can limit the movement of the gimbals, but Martin knows the limits.

3. The XLR jacks in the cups will allow you to change cables. You can put whatever plug on the other end of the cable e.g. 1/4" to fit your Grado extension cord or 1/8" to fit your iPod. 

4. I think Martin can use same mini XLR configuration as Audeze or AKG 702, and/or maybe other known headphones, so you can try other cables without custom wiring e.g. buy aftermarket Audeze cables to try.

Good luck. Sorry for your wallet

 

You should ask Martin all this stuff. He has most experience and listens to everything he makes.


Edited by parbaked - 11/1/12 at 3:23pm
post #5354 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribestros View Post

I honestly think the 325i is a terrible headphone and that Grado needs to massively revamp its sound signature. I was very displeased by the bloated midrange, deadly highs and boring low end. The speakers reminded me of a Bose car stereo; it can go loud, it's just very unpleasant with nothing captivating at loud volumes. I suspect the people who like the 325i also like Klipsch's horn loaded tweeters in their speakers, which I also find unbearable due to the highs. I really find the SR60i and the 80i the only enjoyable Grado headphones, though.

I love the 325is for specific Genre of music. I do not listen to rock and i would not even dare to use it with the 325is. For Acoustic with vocals, it is a blast!
I love it! Same with the RS1i , acoustic and not high pitch female or male voice , it is perfect! Right now PS500s is so versatile to handle almost all Genre of music that I listen too.
post #5355 of 27752
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribestros View Post

I honestly think the 325i is a terrible headphone and that Grado needs to massively revamp its sound signature. I was very displeased by the bloated midrange, deadly highs and boring low end. .

 

lol....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!