Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 310

post #4636 of 18525

How does the RS1i compare with the 325i?  I'm considering getting woodies, but I want a pair that I'm not going to wish I had upgraded first.  I currently have the 325is and am loving them.  I'd rather spend a bit to upgrade and get a pair that are really worth woodying than have regrets later though.

I've read all the reviews raving about the Magnum drivers, and I've considered just building a pair of cans around those (ala the Full Woody Jacket),   I think it'd be cool to have completely custom headphones, but then I'd be losing that Grado sound.

post #4637 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

The PS1000 aren't bad either

His budget is $700 :)

post #4638 of 18525

burn money but burn it with style, go for the PS500 or the RS-1.

post #4639 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

Also I believe the RA-1 is hard wired, while the CMOYs use PCBs of varying quality. I recommend JDS because his PCB is really good, though I'd prefer w/out the bass boost. The main similarity is that these are all opamp based. 

I'm pretty sure that the RA-1 are hand-built yes. I remember reading a while ago that Grado employs a single employee/engineering/etc that just builds the headphone and phono amps (the enclosures are done out of house) all day. The RA-1 uses the same JRC4556 that the O2 is based around, but they have different gain and volume control stages. The CMOY uses a TI chip (OPA2304 I think); iirc there's an RA-1 clone schematic that is based on a National chip with similar performance to the JRC4556 as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

I have a question regarding which grado headphone I should buy. My budget is 700 dollars, so I was planning on getting the RS1i, however, I read reviews that said the RS1i didn't have the energetic grado house sound which is what I am looking for. I listen only to rock and metal and I want an energetic and exciting sound which makes your rock music sound alive and in your face. Will the RS1i give that exciting and aggresive sound I'm looking for which grado's are famous for, or should I get a different grado? People said that the SR225i is the best grado headphone in my price range. Do you think I will enjoy the SR225i more than the RS1i? I would like to address that I want forward mids and a treble that is exciting, but non fatiguing. The RS1i is known to have very forward midrange and non fatiguing highs, the SR225i is said to have a pretty exciting treble that is aggressive but non fatiguing. Which one should I get?

The RS-1 are like the pinnacle/epitome of classic Grado sound. I don't even want to imagine what you've been reading to the contrary. redface.gif The SR-225 are not in the same league by a mile. I would suggest the RS-1 (or RS-1i) absolutely - differences between revisions are not this huge "night and day end of the world universe changing life altering" experience; as is true of many other claims made here. redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

The PS1000 aren't bad either

lol. That's only like twice and a half over his budget. No biggie. bigsmile_face.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valicious View Post

How does the RS1i compare with the 325i?  I'm considering getting woodies, but I want a pair that I'm not going to wish I had upgraded first.  I currently have the 325is and am loving them.  I'd rather spend a bit to upgrade and get a pair that are really worth woodying than have regrets later though.
I've read all the reviews raving about the Magnum drivers, and I've considered just building a pair of cans around those (ala the Full Woody Jacket),   I think it'd be cool to have completely custom headphones, but then I'd be losing that Grado sound.

The 325 are harsher/more aggressive - I would not buy an RS series to dump the enclosure though. As we discussed a while ago; the 225 are the sweet-spot if you just want Grado drivers. If you're going to use them out of the box though, the RS-1 are an improvement over the 325. But again, I wouldn't spend the extra $400 just to throw those wood enclosures in the trash. It's not worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myears View Post

burn money but burn it with style

beerchug.gif
post #4640 of 18525

What exactly do you mean by the 325is are harsher/more aggressive?  I'm still learning all the terms used here.

Would you say the 225is are better than the 325is, factoring out any price difference?

post #4641 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valicious View Post

What exactly do you mean by the 325is are harsher/more aggressive?  I'm still learning all the terms used here.

The 325 are the brightest Grado, and to me it feels like they're just trying to push all of the treble in the entire universe into my skull all at once.basshead.gif
Quote:
Would you say the 225is are better than the 325is, factoring out any price difference?

Yes. They are more comfortable and less aggressive imho.
post #4642 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


The 325 are the brightest Grado, and to me it feels like they're just trying to push all of the treble in the entire universe into my skull all at once.basshead.gif
Yes. They are more comfortable and less aggressive imho.

Ah, I understand now.  I've already experienced that brightness, there have been a few songs where the guitar has been so shrill that it hurts my ears and I cringe at points.

IS there an upgrade from the 325is besides the 225is?  (keeping in mind I would like to woody them?  Are the stock wooden cups on the RS-1s as good as the other custom woodies one might get?)

Music and sound is simply the greatest, and I want to experience its wonders the best way I can.


Edited by Valicious - 9/23/12 at 7:56pm
post #4643 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valicious View Post

Ah, I understand now.  I've already experienced that brightness, there have been a few songs where the guitar has been so shrill that it hurts my ears and I cringe at points.
IS there an upgrade from the 325is besides the 225is?  (keeping in mind I would like to woody them?  Are the stock wooden cups on the RS-1s as good as the other custom woodies one might get?)
Music and sound is simply the freatest, and I want to experience its wonders the best way I can.

I think the RS-1 is the logical upgrade (I haven't tried the RS-2; which is why I'm glossing over it - my understanding is that it's a good "in-between" in both price and performance though). Regarding the wood cups - I'm not really worried too much about aesthetics, but I think the cups on the RS-1 are very well done and they look quite nice. If you were going to woody a can, you're going to change the sound pretty dramatically because you'll be changing the enclosure. That's why I suggested the SR-225 as a "base" choice, because they ostensibly have the same drivers and driver matching as the SR-325 and above, and I think it makes more sense to throw those plastic shells in recycle than it does to trash the aluminum or wooden shells from the higher end models.

I would suggest trying the RS-1 and seeing what you think, before you commit to rip a pair apart. redface.gif
post #4644 of 18525

I have spent several hours comparing the modded woody SR80is to my RS2s.  It is amazing how they have morphed the sound closer to the RS2s, warmer, bigger sound stage and calmed the highs.  My RS2s are more detailed and more forward mids but for most music I was more than pleasantly surprised at the similarities. 

  For a mod that I got solely for aesthetics it certainly added a wow factor to my listening.

Only thing I had to change was to add a larger tie-wrap for the strain relief so the cable wouldn't come out of the slot in the cup.

I think I'll be listening to my old 80is more again.


Edited by Holleyman - 9/23/12 at 8:05pm
post #4645 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valicious View Post

Ah, I understand now.  I've already experienced that brightness, there have been a few songs where the guitar has been so shrill that it hurts my ears and I cringe at points.

IS there an upgrade from the 325is besides the 225is?  (keeping in mind I would like to woody them?  Are the stock wooden cups on the RS-1s as good as the other custom woodies one might get?)

Music and sound is simply the greatest, and I want to experience its wonders the best way I can.


There's the Alessandro MS2i, which are based on the 325is, but not as bright.  They are most like a direct step up from the 225i (there is no 225is).

post #4646 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

His budget is $700 :)

 

I wasn't suggesting to 'orangecr' to get the PS1000.

 

You stated that the RS1i and the PS500,were ''arguably'' the best headphones that Grado makes,i was just saying that the PS1000 aren't bad either wink_face.gif

post #4647 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


The 325 are the brightest Grado, and to me it feels like they're just trying to push all of the treble in the entire universe into my skull all at once.basshead.gif

 

Ahhh - Obob - you should try them with a Woody jacket though wink.gif

post #4648 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

I wasn't suggesting to 'orangecr' to get the PS1000.

 

You stated that the RS1i and the PS500,were ''arguably'' the best headphones that Grado makes,i was just saying that the PS1000 aren't bad either wink_face.gif

 

My bad, brother :)

 

So here's a question for you and our other fellow Grado-ites...what do you guys think the opinion of the PS1000s would be if they were priced like the GS1000s at $999? Do you think they would have a different reputation? 

post #4649 of 18525

I find it funny that people say that the 325's are the harshest or shrillest of the Grados. Maybe I just got really lucky and got a special pair, I don't know. What I do know is that you couldn't pay me to listen to the SR60/80/125's and I wasn't overly impressed with the 225's. Yeah, the woodies are absolutely wonderful, as are my 325's. When I got them, I couldn't afford the wood so I went for the 325's since they weren't that far behind in sound. Different sound yes, quality, no, certainly not harsh or shrill. Speaking of shrill and painfully so, I'd rather deafen myself with an ice pick than ever put a pair of Alexandro MS1's back on my ears.

post #4650 of 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post

I find it funny that people say that the 325's are the harshest or shrillest of the Grados. Maybe I just got really lucky and got a special pair, I don't know. What I do know is that you couldn't pay me to listen to the SR60/80/125's and I wasn't overly impressed with the 225's. Yeah, the woodies are absolutely wonderful, as are my 325's. When I got them, I couldn't afford the wood so I went for the 325's since they weren't that far behind in sound. Different sound yes, quality, no, certainly not harsh or shrill. Speaking of shrill and painfully so, I'd rather deafen myself with an ice pick than ever put a pair of Alexandro MS1's back on my ears.

 

I've read many different reviews, but maybe you're not that lucky because mine are warm, too ;)   - even more so than the AKG Q701. Also, how many different 'colors' did the IS come in? I saw a youtube review with a chrome finish - not the silver/pewter finish.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!