Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 305

post #4561 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

I haven't heard the MS1 but my guess would be the 225 by a big margin,keep in mind that the PS500 have a roled off treble wich makes them very unGrado like,wich makes them a great match for a bright sounding system,hope this helps

I think I like the PS500 a lot because of the roled off trebe that emphasis on the bass. 

I guess I am allergic to treble and love bass. I love the thickness of PS500 is.

post #4562 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by haquocdung View Post

Hi stacker,

 

Can you please let me know, which HP (MS1, SR60/80/125/225/325) has the warm sound as near as PS500?

 

Thank you.

Not heard PS500. MS1 is the darkest of the lot, although Alessandro/Grado lineups aren't dark at all. M1 will compete up to 125, with 60 being brighter than 80, and 80 bassier - 125 merges the 60 with 80 for a more balanced sound - the margins are minuscule. M1 has rolled off highs and lows but it's very articulate and sweet (looking at Grados).

post #4563 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

My pusher ordered mine and says it's on the way.


update,

 

remessaged again to see that i had to give my Zip code aswell.

so i will expect to be getting a shirt soon... and wearing it with pride!

post #4564 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyPogiman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

My pusher ordered mine and says it's on the way.


update,

 

remessaged again to see that i had to give my Zip code aswell.

so i will expect to be getting a shirt soon... and wearing it with pride!

Goody.  I have to pay for mine.

post #4565 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

I haven't heard the MS1 but my guess would be the 225 by a big margin,keep in mind that the PS500 have a roled off treble wich makes them very unGrado like,wich makes them a great match for a bright sounding system,hope this helps

 

I would disagree, unless my pair of SR225i is just vastly different than everyone else's - which might be possible... I actually prefer the SR125i over the SR225i. The SR225i is almost the opposite of the PS500, in my experience, because the SR225i's lows and mids sound less forward than the lower models, but the highs do not. This makes my ~6 month used pair of SR225i sound unnaturally forward in the highs with a biting sibilance, compared to my SR125i whose highs are just slightly smoother but most importantly are equally as forward as the lower frequencies - making the SR125i a more balanced sounding headphone to me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haquocdung View Post

Hi stacker,

 

Can you please let me know, which HP (MS1, SR60/80/125/225/325) has the warm sound as near as PS500?

 

Thank you.

I recently side-by-side tested ALL the headphones you just listed, so I think I can help. Of the headphones you listed, the MS1i has the warmest sound signature, no doubt. Followed by the SR125i, which was actually my favorite, but that's because I like my treble and the MS1i rolls off the treble a bit more than I'd like. But to my ears, no doubt the MS1i was the darkest and warmest of these phones - relatively, mind you!

 

Now the PS500 I did try a couple months back, and I thought it had over-exaggerated bass and a cramped soundstage (compared to RS1i). Its highs are nice, not as rolled off as I had expected to hear, and the overall tonality is nice. The bass is really pretty nice sounding if you like a thick sound. But I enjoyed the more nimble, airier, and crisp approach of the RS1i.

post #4566 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitz View Post

 

I would disagree, unless my pair of SR225i is just vastly different than everyone else's - which might be possible... I actually prefer the SR125i over the SR225i. The SR225i is almost the opposite of the PS500, in my experience, because the SR225i's lows and mids sound less forward than the lower models, but the highs do not. This makes my ~6 month used pair of SR225i sound unnaturally forward in the highs with a biting sibilance, compared to my SR125i whose highs are just slightly smoother but most importantly are equally as forward as the lower frequencies - making the SR125i a more balanced sounding headphone to me.

 

I recently side-by-side tested ALL the headphones you just listed, so I think I can help. Of the headphones you listed, the MS1i has the warmest sound signature, no doubt. Followed by the SR125i, which was actually my favorite, but that's because I like my treble and the MS1i rolls off the treble a bit more than I'd like. But to my ears, no doubt the MS1i was the darkest and warmest of these phones - relatively, mind you!

 

Now the PS500 I did try a couple months back, and I thought it had over-exaggerated bass and a cramped soundstage (compared to RS1i). Its highs are nice, not as rolled off as I had expected to hear, and the overall tonality is nice. The bass is really pretty nice sounding if you like a thick sound. But I enjoyed the more nimble, airier, and crisp approach of the RS1i.

 

Maybe my post wasn't clear enough,what i ment was,that they're is still a big difference with the way the SR225i's sound compare the PS500's.

 

About the RS1i's having a less cramped sounstage than the PS500's,i believe it's the other way around,i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

post #4567 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitz View Post

 

I recently side-by-side tested ALL the headphones you just listed, so I think I can help. Of the headphones you listed, the MS1i has the warmest sound signature, no doubt. Followed by the SR125i, which was actually my favorite, but that's because I like my treble and the MS1i rolls off the treble a bit more than I'd like. But to my ears, no doubt the MS1i was the darkest and warmest of these phones - relatively, mind you!

 

 

Thank for the confirmation. I will buy an MS1 :)

post #4568 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscadore View Post

^ Why did you give up on the 325i?

 

I have a 80i and really like it. Got a new 325i and it's just too bright, after a 48 hours break in it got much better (and I don't think it's a "placebo effect") but it's still fatiguing in some cases. Unfortunatly I couldn't try the PS500 is it warmer than the sr325?

 

Yeah but that brightness becomes synergy with flat pads :P I've just rediscovered my SR325i with those and I really love the combo, it sounds much fuller and more balanced (less U-shaped, which is how I felt the SR325i was when coming from a HP-1); the spark is still there but tamed a little. I'll be leaving it this way for a while, I'm becoming more and more aware of how I want my Grados to sound.

post #4569 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

Yeah but that brightness becomes synergy with flat pads :P I've just rediscovered my SR325i with those and I really love the combo, it sounds much fuller and more balanced (less U-shaped, which is how I felt the SR325i was when coming from a HP-1); the spark is still there but tamed a little. I'll be leaving it this way for a while, I'm becoming more and more aware of how I want my Grados to sound.

 

Yes!,you just wrote what i believe to be THE most important word,''synergy'',that's what it's all about,it's not only a question of how much you spend on your gear,price is a factor of course,but i'll take a $1000 well balanced sound system,over a $3000 set up that's just been thrown together,any day.

 

Sorry for rambling on like that,but whenever i read a smart post,with that all important word,it inspires me.

 

Carry on!

post #4570 of 18504

Hey guys, been following this thread for a couple of months and would appreciate some of your input.

 

A bit of knowledge about me.  I don't pretend to know much about DACs or Amps.  In fact I would say I know very little.  I love headphones, however, and haven't owned a pair of speakers in the past 10 years.

 

I currently have a pair of PS500s (using the L-Cush instead of the included G-Cush for larger soundstage/comfort) with a Audio Engine D1 connected via Toslink/USB to my PC.  The PS500s were my first jump into the Grado line and I am very pleased with them.  I mainly listen to 90s+ rock, alternative, and also use them a lot for gaming and watching TV shows and movies off my PC.  I travel a lot for work and have accumulated a decent amount of Amazon gift certificates so looking to upgrade again. 

 

My old setup was a pair of ATH-M50s with a FiiO E10 and the Grado/D1 combo has been quite a bit of an improvement over them.  Hopefully looking for another jump in performance with my next purchase.

 

Wondering what the next step would be in upgrading, whether I should invest in a dedicated amp, a better DAC, a pair of PS1000s, or all 3 haha?

 

Another thing that caught my interest was that the PS1000 sound was designed with the G-Cush as opposed to the PS500 with the L-Cush.  Since as mentioned before that I prefer the G-Cush over the L-Cush this has been another factor I've been intrigued about.

 

I've read on here that the PS1000 is not forgiving on certain setups and the PC is my only source so if recommending a DAC or Amp it has to be PC compatible - again I have very limited knowledge about them so I don't know if there's certain ones that can't be hooked up to a desktop PC.

 

Thanks all for any input.  I have really enjoyed reading everyones' opinions so far.


Edited by jm1122 - 9/19/12 at 6:38am
post #4571 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1122 View Post

Hey guys, been following this thread for a couple of months and would appreciate some of your input.

 

A bit of knowledge about me.  I don't pretend to know much about DACs or Amps.  In fact I would say I know very little.  I love headphones, however, and haven't owned a pair of speakers in the past 10 years.

 

I currently have a pair of PS500s (using the L-Cush instead of the included G-Cush for larger soundstage/comfort) with a Audio Engine D1 connected via Toslink/USB to my PC.  The PS500s were my first jump into the Grado line and I am very pleased with them.  I mainly listen to 90s+ rock, alternative, and also use them a lot for gaming and watching TV shows and movies off my PC.  I travel a lot for work and have accumulated a decent amount of Amazon gift certificates so looking to upgrade again. 

 

My old setup was a pair of ATH-M50s with a FiiO E10 and the Grado/D1 combo has been quite a bit of an improvement over them.  Hopefully looking for another jump in performance with my next purchase.

 

Wondering what the next step would be in upgrading, whether I should invest in a dedicated amp, a better DAC, a pair of PS1000s, or all 3 haha?

 

Another thing that caught my interest was that the PS1000 sound was designed with the G-Cush as opposed to the PS500 with the L-Cush.  Since as mentioned before that I prefer the G-Cush over the L-Cush this has been another factor I've been intrigued about.

 

I've read on here that the PS1000 is not forgiving on certain setups and the PC is my only source so if recommending a DAC or Amp it has to be PC compatible - again I have very limited knowledge about them so I don't know if there's certain ones that can't be hooked up to a desktop PC.

 

Thanks all for any input.  I have really enjoyed reading everyones' opinions so far.

You might want to post on a PS1000 thread to get more specific impressions.  The 500's were a little too mid-bassy for me so I stuck with the 325i's.  I, too, am interested in the PS1000's but they're pretty pricey.

post #4572 of 18504
Generally speaking the 600 dollar range is where diminishing returns really set in for headphones - most anything more is just preferenece, not performance.
post #4573 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1122 View Post

Hey guys, been following this thread for a couple of months and would appreciate some of your input.

 

A bit of knowledge about me.  I don't pretend to know much about DACs or Amps.  In fact I would say I know very little.  I love headphones, however, and haven't owned a pair of speakers in the past 10 years.

 

I currently have a pair of PS500s (using the L-Cush instead of the included G-Cush for larger soundstage/comfort) with a Audio Engine D1 connected via Toslink/USB to my PC.  The PS500s were my first jump into the Grado line and I am very pleased with them.  I mainly listen to 90s+ rock, alternative, and also use them a lot for gaming and watching TV shows and movies off my PC.  I travel a lot for work and have accumulated a decent amount of Amazon gift certificates so looking to upgrade again. 

 

My old setup was a pair of ATH-M50s with a FiiO E10 and the Grado/D1 combo has been quite a bit of an improvement over them.  Hopefully looking for another jump in performance with my next purchase.

 

Wondering what the next step would be in upgrading, whether I should invest in a dedicated amp, a better DAC, a pair of PS1000s, or all 3 haha?

 

Another thing that caught my interest was that the PS1000 sound was designed with the G-Cush as opposed to the PS500 with the L-Cush.  Since as mentioned before that I prefer the G-Cush over the L-Cush this has been another factor I've been intrigued about.

 

I've read on here that the PS1000 is not forgiving on certain setups and the PC is my only source so if recommending a DAC or Amp it has to be PC compatible - again I have very limited knowledge about them so I don't know if there's certain ones that can't be hooked up to a desktop PC.

 

Thanks all for any input.  I have really enjoyed reading everyones' opinions so far.

 

I love hearing about people who are using the Audioengine D1...I truly believe this is an amazing bargain as a DAC, and the fact that it has the headamp built in is just a bonus. I love this little piece and even if/when I uprgrade my setup I doubt I'll touch my D1...the fact that you also have the PS500s is even more awesome....that's a great little set up you have, my friend! Of course, Im entirely biased since it's the same gear I have haha.

post #4574 of 18504
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Generally speaking the 600 dollar range is where diminishing returns really set in for headphones - most anything more is just preferenece, not performance.

 

Agree 100%.

post #4575 of 18504

My HP-1 has just arrived, it's in great shape. Photos soon.

 

I suppose the headband is suitable to bending to adjust to my big head, right?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!