Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 299

post #4471 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

The other "difference" with the 325 is you get a leather headband. If you want leather in your eventual build, you'll have to spend $40-$60 for a leather headband if you buy the 225. I eventually traded up from the 225 to used MS2 because I wanted to remove some vinyl and plastic from my life. The 225s sound great and are lighter (more comfortable) than the 325.

I'd agree with this, but if all you want is the drivers, the SR-225 are a great buy - if you plan to re-use parts (like the headband, gimbals, etc) the SR-325 make some more sense certainly. I'm just not seeing the point in spending an extra $100 for stuff that would go in the trash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

The RS2i don't get enough love because the RS1i is objectively better - bigger cups = bigger sound. The RS1i also changes the plastic gimbals for nice metal ones, which account for a good portion of the $200 premium. If price is not the object then the RS1s are more better.

This. I will say I haven't heard the RS-2, but just the build quality point is worth considering. I remember devouringone (speaking of which - where'd he go?) making a point about the woodworking on the RS-2 being of lesser quality than the RS-1 or GS-1000 as well (I do not know if this is true, but basically everything else on the RS-1 is superior to the rest of the Grado line (GS/PS1k excluded), so it makes enough sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

Looks like your having one of them i wish i got the 325i's moments..he's going to mod the headphones anyways so he should get the best sounding headphones!

This is a good point martin - that second-guessing problem can absolutely ruin a purchase! redface.gif
post #4472 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

Looks like your having one of them i wish i got the 325i's moments..he's going to mod the headphones anyways so he should get the best sounding headphones!

The point I was trying to make is to also figure the cost of a leather headband into your final build. the 325 comes with one and the 225 doesn't. Sound-wise it makes no difference which you buy, they are the same except for the plastic cups and leather headband. One other advantage to the 325 is you also have the option to do a HF-2/PS500 mod by mounting drivers in wooden inners.

Can't lose with either the 225 or 325!

post #4473 of 14015
Just to throw it out there - the SR-225 could in theory give you an HF-1 "hybrid" option also. I'm not sure how hard this would be to build at home.

I will add that the leather headband on the RS-1 (I don't remember it much on the SR-325) is certainly an upgrade; it seems trivial, but it is an upgrade over the vinyl strap. I'm not sure if the aftermarket ones would be better still (I know you get more color options, which can make for a cool custom headphone!).
Edited by obobskivich - 9/10/12 at 9:34am
post #4474 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post



This. I will say I haven't heard the RS-2, but just the build quality point is worth considering. I remember devouringone (speaking of which - where'd he go?) making a point about the woodworking on the RS-2 being of lesser quality than the RS-1 or GS-1000 as well (I do not know if this is true, but basically everything else on the RS-1 is superior to the rest of the Grado line (GS/PS1k excluded), so it makes enough sense.
 

I don't think the woodworking or build quality are better. They make both as well as they can for the price. The price difference is only $200. With retail mark-ups that means the RS1 likely costs $40 - $50 more to build than the RS2. That cost is easily eaten up by the larger cups, which require a bigger piece of wood to machine and the metal gimbals. The plastic gimbals are basically free to Grado as they already have the machine and mold to make as many as they like cheaply. Without the metal bits, the RS1 and RS2 would be priced close. This is also why only the top Grados get the metal. 

post #4475 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

Looks like your having one of them i wish i got the 325i's moments..he's going to mod the headphones anyways so he should get the best sounding headphones!

No regrets here. I didn't like the look of the 325is larger cups ad the extra weight with the new cable is too much. I complimented my 225is with used MS2 with the smaller cups and longer, lighter cable. I had to buy a leather headband for my 225is, because I didn't like the vinyl. This is the only point I was making in response to the question of which to buy for an eventual mod project. 

post #4476 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsplease View Post

What's everyone's opinion on the RS2i? I haven't really seen anybody talk about them the past couple pages. Is it a worthy upgrade from someone who has the SR80i's? Big differences (positive)? And for the price, is it a much better sounding headphone in comparison to the SR325is?


Critics (at least the ones who like Grados) seem to give the RS2i more love than the majority here.  The 2 is different than what you know as the Grado sound, listening to the SR's.  The RS does not have that slam and wall of sound that marks the SR line.  The sound stage is much bigger.  The bass is lower.  The clarity and separation between musical voices is enhanced.  The RS sound is more organic/natural.

 

The 325 is a transitional can between the SR and RS signature sounds.  It is clearly an SR, while hinting at what the differences are in the next line up.

post #4477 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

I don't think the woodworking or build quality are better. They make both as well as they can for the price. The price difference is only $200. With retail mark-ups that means the RS1 likely costs $40 - $50 more to build than the RS2. That cost is easily eaten up by the larger cups, which require a bigger piece of wood to machine and the metal gimbals. The plastic gimbals are basically free to Grado as they already have the machine and mold to make as many as they like cheaply. Without the metal bits, the RS1 and RS2 would be priced close. This is also why only the top Grados get the metal. 

 

Actually they use a binning process which separates the chaff from the good stuff, all non RS grade drivers become SR series from what I understand. So technically they gotta make a butt ton of "other" headphones before they get one thats like.. RS-1 good.

 

In theory depending on their consistency and tolerances at Grado, it could actually not cost them anything to make an RS-1 over RS-2 other than that extra 1/4" of wood you get on the cups.

 

Indeed they even make the plastic parts in-house, but I'm not sure if thats onsite because from what I saw, they were manufacturered in some sort of sweatshop in an apartment.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsplease View Post

What's everyone's opinion on the RS2i? I haven't really seen anybody talk about them the past couple pages. Is it a worthy upgrade from someone who has the SR80i's? Big differences (positive)? And for the price, is it a much better sounding headphone in comparison to the SR325is?

 

 

Yes it's good.. the RS-1's were too much of a jump at $700 for me, so I got RS-2 and I've never owned an RS-1 despite owning more expensive headphones to date. Something something about sentimentality I guess you could say.

post #4478 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

In theory depending on their consistency and tolerances at Grado, it could actually not cost them anything to make an RS-1 over RS-2 other than that extra 1/4" of wood you get on the cups.

 

 

that and the cost of metal gimbals 

post #4479 of 14015

Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I guess I'm also kinda in that situation where the extra $200 jump from RS-2i to the RS-1i seems a little steep. But then again I get that feeling that I should either go big or go home on my next purchase which has kind of convinced me to consider the RS-2i instead of merely upgrading to the SR325i. Can anyone go into anymore details on how the RS line compares to the SR?

post #4480 of 14015

Just bought the sr225is and I'm loving the sound. None of the constant gripes I've read are of any problem to me.
Comfort? Is it just me or are grados much more comfortable than they're made out to be?
Build quality? Yeah, not that great, but nothing to cry over.
Leakage? I've read somewhere that grados leak more than most open headphones. These are my first open headphones, so I have nothing to compare it to, but, at my preferred listening level, I can barely hear them when I take them off.
Loving them so far.

post #4481 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by odehib View Post


Comfort? Is it just me or are grados much more comfortable than they're made out to be?
 

 

Not just you...I found the same thing. 

post #4482 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Not just you...I found the same thing. 

The rap on Grado comfort is that some don't like the on-ear rather than in-ear or over-ear design. Grados are, imo, as comfortable as other on-ear 'phones of the same size/weight. Personally I don't like over-ear and really only use Grados or IEMs when I need to isolate.

post #4483 of 14015

Two (at least two) facts seem to float to the top of this discussion about comfort.  First is that many people find the stock Grados (and Alessandros) to be uncomfortable--significnatly more than the average headphone.  Second, comfort is a very (very, very) individual thing.  When someone seeks a recommendation and one of his/her requirements is that the can must be comfortable or very comfortable, it is the most difficult (if not impossible) question to answer.  There is only one way to know for sure.


Edited by KG Jag - 9/10/12 at 3:13pm
post #4484 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Not just you...I found the same thing. 

The rap on Grado comfort is that some don't like the on-ear rather than in-ear or over-ear design. Grados are, imo, as comfortable as other on-ear 'phones of the same size/weight. Personally I don't like over-ear and really only use Grados or IEMs when I need to isolate.

You use Grados when you need to isolate?

 

How so?

post #4485 of 14015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

You use Grados when you need to isolate?

 

How so?

No, I use Grados, or I use IEMs when I need to isolate. Evidently I also use bad grammar. :/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!