Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 298

post #4456 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

I had gone a couple of months without using my 80s until a few weeks ago....even though I have a couple headphones that are significantly better, I had forgotten just how good the 80s sound. 


The Grado Pill is a drug you just cannot stop taking to remember it.

post #4457 of 16769

the sr-80 was the first grado i heard. if only i could have foreseen where that would lead me. wink.gif

post #4458 of 16769

I'm trying to decide between the 225s and the 325s.  I got to demo the 325s, and I could not contain my eargasms.  The store did not have any 225s though.  I've heard different people say they are absolutely worth the upgrade, and others say not so much.  Is there any accoustic difference between the aluminum and chrome 325s?  Could someone post pics of each?

post #4459 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valicious View Post

I'm trying to decide between the 225s and the 325s.  I got to demo the 325s, and I could not contain my eargasms.  The store did not have any 225s though.  I've heard different people say they are absolutely worth the upgrade, and others say not so much.  Is there any accoustic difference between the aluminum and chrome 325s?  Could someone post pics of each?


If you are not bothered by the treble of the 325, go with it over the 225.  The 325 offers greater detail, frequency range, sound stage and build quality over the 225.  If you were bothered by the treble, get the Alessandro MS2 (based on the 325 but with less strident treble) or save money by going with the 225.

post #4460 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


If you are not bothered by the treble of the 325, go with it over the 225.  The 325 offers greater detail, frequency range, sound stage and build quality over the 225.  If you were bothered by the treble, get the Alessandro MS2 (based on the 325 but with less strident treble) or save money by going with the 225.

I didn't hear anything unpleasant in the 325s.  I'm going to be modding and woodying whatever I get too.  Are the 325s worth it if I'd be modding the hell out of either?

post #4461 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valicious View Post

I didn't hear anything unpleasant in the 325s.  I'm going to be modding and woodying whatever I get too.  Are the 325s worth it if I'd be modding the hell out of either?

 

Depends on your preference.  I personally love my woodied 325is.  I can't say that it isn't placebo (as I had no way of ABXing the woody vs the stock)  But I have found that with the woody - as well as being lighter and more comfortable - it "seems" to me that the extreme brightness is toned down just a little.

 

I'm curious to compare eventually with an RS1i - but at the moment I have no compunction to go further up the Grado line.

post #4462 of 16769

Id go with the 325s and pair them with some tubes if possible...I loved the way mine sounded with my Little Dot I+ hybrid amp. Although with a decent solid state amp they sound pretty darn good, too. 

post #4463 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valicious View Post

I didn't hear anything unpleasant in the 325s.  I'm going to be modding and woodying whatever I get too.  Are the 325s worth it if I'd be modding the hell out of either?

If you're gonna be throwing the cups in the trash to begin with, save the $100 and get the SR-225. smily_headphones1.gif
post #4464 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

I had gone a couple of months without using my 80s until a few weeks ago....even though I have a couple headphones that are significantly better, I had forgotten just how good the 80s sound. 

 

Looks like those PS500's are getting a lot of attention,can't say i blame you,mine get used on a regular bases,i have in my computer room,and since i need my glasses to see what i'm doing,they fit perfectly with the comfies.

 

I just finish listening to Robert Michaels's Arizona cd with the SR80i on my Marantz 2220B,and they're sound quality still surprises me sometimes,and this was right after listening to Rebecca Pidgeon's Retrospective cd with my HP1000 on my old Yamaha CA-610II,so i think that says a lot about how nice SR80i's sound.     

post #4465 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

Looks like those PS500's are getting a lot of attention,can't say i blame you,mine get used on a regular bases,i have in my computer room,and since i need my glasses to see what i'm doing,they fit perfectly with the comfies.

 

I just finish listening to Robert Michaels's Arizona cd with the SR80i on my Marantz 2220B,and they're sound quality still surprises me sometimes,and this was right after listening to Rebecca Pidgeon's Retrospective cd with my HP1000 on my old Yamaha CA-610II,so i think that says a lot about how nice SR80i's sound.     

 

 

Yep, it just reinforces what I experienced when I first heard them...sometimes a speaker or headphone sounds good at first just because it's different...but the 80s have stood the test of time with me. It's been 9 months now and I still use them frequently and still consider them  the best headphones I've heard under $100. I have a handful of other headphones under $100 here collecting dust that never get used. I just have no desire to listen to them, whereas I've found applications for the 80s that allow them to stay active in my rotation. They're the only headphone at that price point that I could honestly live with as my only headphone if for some reason I was forced to only have one headphone. 

post #4466 of 16769

What's everyone's opinion on the RS2i? I haven't really seen anybody talk about them the past couple pages. Is it a worthy upgrade from someone who has the SR80i's? Big differences (positive)? And for the price, is it a much better sounding headphone in comparison to the SR325is?


Edited by lightsplease - 9/10/12 at 3:01am
post #4467 of 16769

Valicious get the ones that you have listened to and liked the 325i's ..If you get the 225i's you might have one of them i wish got the 325i's moments..


Edited by our martin - 9/10/12 at 6:21am
post #4468 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


If you're gonna be throwing the cups in the trash to begin with, save the $100 and get the SR-225. smily_headphones1.gif

The other "difference" with the 325 is you get a leather headband. If you want leather in your eventual build, you'll have to spend $40-$60 for a leather headband if you buy the 225. I eventually traded up from the 225 to used MS2 because I wanted to remove some vinyl and plastic from my life. The 225s sound great and are lighter (more comfortable) than the 325.

post #4469 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsplease View Post

What's everyone's opinion on the RS2i? I haven't really seen anybody talk about them the past couple pages. Is it a worthy upgrade from someone who has the SR80i's? Big differences (positive)? And for the price, is it a much better sounding headphone in comparison to the SR325is?

The RS2i don't get enough love because the RS1i is objectively better - bigger cups = bigger sound. The RS1i also changes the plastic gimbals for nice metal ones, which account for a good portion of the $200 premium. If price is not the object then the RS1s are more better.

post #4470 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post

The other "difference" with the 325 is you get a leather headband. If you want leather in your eventual build, you'll have to spend $40-$60 for a leather headband if you buy the 225. I eventually traded up from the 225 to used MS2 because I wanted to remove some vinyl and plastic from my life. The 225s sound great and are lighter (more comfortable) than the 325.

Looks like your having one of them i wish i got the 325i's moments..he's going to mod the headphones anyways so he should get the best sounding headphones!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!