Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 1204

post #18046 of 25026
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post
 

A reviewer on amazon.com, "machina," recently posted a fantabulous comparison of the various Grado SR models.  He lived with each one for at least a week (SR60, SR80, SR125, SR225, SR325).  I recommend it:     

 

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1J0MB5XQL8NO?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B00L1NTJAW&cdMSG=addedToThread&cdPage=&newContentID=Mx2CETSAO1MG6MZ&newContentNum=1&ref_=cm_cr_pr_cmt#CustomerDiscussionsNRPB

So I read this review and ("assuming the same ear cushions are used")…what cushions were used on the 80's??? I know the (S) cushion is mentioned, but what models were they used on??? What made the reviewer come to the conclusion that they reduce brightness/intimacy, and loosen the bass???

Also, I wear all of my Grados for 4-5 hrs for a listening session with no discomfort at all, and never feel the weight of any of them (including the PS1K) on the top of my head, and I can't see how the weight of the 80's-225's could even be an issue…there is no weight to them. I do agree  that the 325's are very comfortable…but no more comfortable than the 80's-225's would be due to the 80's-225's weighing less. By all means I'm not trying to turn this into a debate…the reviewer heard what he heard and I'm not doubting that (everyone hears differently), but never mentions if the 80's were used with the stock (S) cushions or with the (L) cushions…which will make a world of difference for the 80's IMO, and put them strongly right up with the other models…especially for the price, being he did mention price/performance differences.

post #18047 of 25026
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

So I read this review and ("assuming the same ear cushions are used")…what cushions were used on the 80's??? I know the (S) cushion is mentioned, but what models were they used on??? What made the reviewer come to the conclusion that they reduce brightness/intimacy, and loosen the bass???

Also, I wear all of my Grados for 4-5 hrs for a listening session with no discomfort at all, and never feel the weight of any of them (including the PS1K) on the top of my head, and I can't see how the weight of the 80's-225's could even be an issue…there is no weight to them. I do agree  that the 325's are very comfortable…but no more comfortable than the 80's-225's would be due to the 80's-225's weighing less. By all means I'm not trying to turn this into a debate…the reviewer heard what he heard and I'm not doubting that (everyone hears differently), but never mentions if the 80's were used with the stock (S) cushions or with the (L) cushions…which will make a world of difference for the 80's IMO, and put them strongly right up with the other models…especially for the price, being he did mention price/performance differences.

 



IMO the S cushions do reduce brightness and loosen the bass, not sure about intimacy though. I've heard about the quarter mod a lot, but in my own experience, the difference it made on the SR80i is not that much.
The mod also messed up my S Cushs, too.
And yes SR80i owners NEED to buy the L Cush. Huge difference on sound.

The 325is are really heavy. The weight, along with the clamping force of the headband, made the listening experience quite painful. So I had to bend the headband a few times to make it loose enough for every day use. Still, I can't use any L-cush Grados for more than 45 minutes or so.
post #18048 of 25026

Yeah, in my experience with the Bushmills and the lower end SR60s, the comfy pads create a thicker, more bloated and mushy bass compared to the L cush. You get more bass with the comfy pads - which some may prefer regardless - but it feels loose.

post #18049 of 25026
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehoang15tuoi View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

So I read this review and ("assuming the same ear cushions are used")…what cushions were used on the 80's??? I know the (S) cushion is mentioned, but what models were they used on??? What made the reviewer come to the conclusion that they reduce brightness/intimacy, and loosen the bass???

Also, I wear all of my Grados for 4-5 hrs for a listening session with no discomfort at all, and never feel the weight of any of them (including the PS1K) on the top of my head, and I can't see how the weight of the 80's-225's could even be an issue…there is no weight to them. I do agree  that the 325's are very comfortable…but no more comfortable than the 80's-225's would be due to the 80's-225's weighing less. By all means I'm not trying to turn this into a debate…the reviewer heard what he heard and I'm not doubting that (everyone hears differently), but never mentions if the 80's were used with the stock (S) cushions or with the (L) cushions…which will make a world of difference for the 80's IMO, and put them strongly right up with the other models…especially for the price, being he did mention price/performance differences.

 



IMO the S cushions do reduce brightness and loosen the bass, not sure about intimacy though. I've heard about the quarter mod a lot, but in my own experience, the difference it made on the SR80i is not that much.
The mod also messed up my S Cushs, too.
And yes SR80i owners NEED to buy the L Cush. Huge difference on sound.

The 325is are really heavy. The weight, along with the clamping force of the headband, made the listening experience quite painful. So I had to bend the headband a few times to make it loose enough for every day use. Still, I can't use any L-cush Grados for more than 45 minutes or so.

Totally agree with what you say about the (S) cushion, and I'm not to sure the intimacy is less either. My point was the reviewer didn't use the (L) cushions on the 80's…why not ? This would have taken them to another level.

I disagree about the 325's weight/comfort, and can't believe you can't wear them for more than 45 min. Like I said, I go for 3-5hr at a time with all my Grados with no issues. Try this out…I know you said you had to "bend" the band a few times, but what you need to do is not bend but pull the headband from just above the rod blocks (not on them) slowly and until the headband is in a horizontal position and hold it there for 5-15 seconds, but do this a little at a time until they become U shaped, and stay in the shape of a U. The headband is spring steel, which will try to return to its original shape, so this must be done as many times as needed to stay in the U shape. Now the drivers are just resting on your ears with minimum clamping force, and you should be able to wear them for hours. If you take a look at the old Grado HP-1/2/3/ models take notice and you will see the headband are U shaped. Try this out, hope it helps.

:beerchug:

post #18050 of 25026
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post
 

Yeah, in my experience with the Bushmills and the lower end SR60s, the comfy pads create a thicker, more bloated and mushy bass compared to the L cush. You get more bass with the comfy pads - which some may prefer regardless - but it feels loose.

Agreed.

post #18051 of 25026

Thank you joseph69. I tried that and the 325is certainly feels more comfortable. From my experiences Grado's always become more comfortable through time (as they loosen after countless hours on our heads), but your advice does speed up the process more than bending them. 

 

If only I have a chance to try the Bushmills. The only limited-edition that I may have a chance to try in my country is the HF2. Apart from that, I don't think any1 around here has ever considered buying limited edition headphones at all. It also took the previous owner almost a year to sell the MSPro (to me).

So I have to say the Bushmills are quite fascinating. I've read reviews, but we all know that no one can imagine the sound from words.

post #18052 of 25026
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehoang15tuoi View Post
 

Thank you joseph69. I tried that and the 325is certainly feels more comfortable. From my experiences Grado's always become more comfortable through time (as they loosen after countless hours on our heads), but your advice does speed up the process more than bending them. 

 

If only I have a chance to try the Bushmills. The only limited-edition that I may have a chance to try in my country is the HF2. Apart from that, I don't think any1 around here has ever considered buying limited edition headphones at all. It also took the previous owner almost a year to sell the MSPro (to me).

So I have to say the Bushmills are quite fascinating. I've read reviews, but we all know that no one can imagine the sound from words.

Your very welcome, glad this was helpful for your comfort. When I said HP-1/2/3 I meant HF models, thanks! The Bushmills are limited production, and are no longer available…the only way to obtain a pair is used, and they don't come up for sale much. I had them when they sold the first batch, but only used them for 8hrs just to hear what they were about, but right out of the box they were nice sounding, but thats as far as my experience with them went, then I sold them. I never heard the MS-Pro, but I own the RS1i's which are tuned slightly different from each other, but are basically equivalent in sound give or take. And no, you can't imagine sound from words.

:beerchug:

post #18053 of 25026

"good ol' sunday morning" happy, southern redneck hippie music

 

 

post #18054 of 25026

Hi, 

Some help needed.

Going to buy 325's, now question is should I be getting  325is or 325e  and is the extra $50 warranted??

Thanks,

Anna

post #18055 of 25026
Quote:
Originally Posted by annar View Post
 

Hi, 

Some help needed.

Going to buy 325's, now question is should I be getting  325is or 325e  and is the extra $50 warranted??

Thanks,

Anna

Hi Anna, the 325is is already a solid choice. I have not tried the 325e myself, but I don't think the 325e is gonna be nights and days from the 325is.

On the other hand, the 325e might have audible differences in term of sounds. I've mostly treated successors-and-predecessors as differrent buying options. It's not like the new ones are always better. Sometimes the old ones are better, but then "better" is always a matter of opinion. You may want to save a few dollars to buy a good amp/dac for the 325 (whatever the model), because they're gonna need that to reach their full potential.

Cheers.

post #18056 of 25026
Quote:
Originally Posted by annar View Post
 

Hi, 

Some help needed.

Going to buy 325's, now question is should I be getting  325is or 325e  and is the extra $50 warranted??

Thanks,

Anna

The 325's are an excellent choice!

I've never heard the (e) series, but I do own the (is) series and couldn't be happier with them.

You may also be able to find the 325is for a discount somewhere due to the (e) series being released and save yourself some money. Shop around, I just saved $485.00 on a brand new PS-1000 from Stereo Design because of this. The 325's will sound great out of most anything…amping them isn't a must, but they would definitely benefit from it.

post #18057 of 25026

Joseph...Buddy, it might be the pain killers I took an hour ago that are starting to kick in, but I'm confused about what you've said regarding the HP1-2-3 headbands being U shaped, I staired at my HP2 for a good 30 seconds, and came to the conclusion that it is, in fact, U shaped, just like my GS/PS1000, my Bushmills X and my SR80i are U shaped. I guess they figured that shaping it that way makes the headphones more comfortable than if they were say, W shaped, the pointy part would probably start to hurt after a while. Just saying.

 

Also, and keep in mind that I type very slowly, therefore those painkillers are in full stride by now, but you've said that the Bushmills sounded good out of the box, well duh! headphones usually don't sound they best when you leave them in the box. Anyway, and feel free not to answer me, because, after all, it's non of my buisness, but why sell them, if they sound good, especially considering the fact that they're a limited edition, so they might appreciate in time.

 

Signed, a confused, but painless, Stacker45.

post #18058 of 25026
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

Joseph...Buddy, it might be the pain killers I took an hour ago that are starting to kick in, but I'm confused about what you've said regarding the HP1-2-3 headbands being U shaped, I staired at my HP2 for a good 30 seconds, and came to the conclusion that it is, in fact, U shaped, just like my GS/PS1000, my Bushmills X and my SR80i are U shaped. I guess they figured that shaping it that way makes the headphones more comfortable than if they were say, W shaped, the pointy part would probably start to hurt after a while. Just saying.

 

Also, and keep in mind that I type very slowly, therefore those painkillers are in full stride by now, but you've said that the Bushmills sounded good out of the box, well duh! headphones usually don't sound they best when you leave them in the box. Anyway, and feel free not to answer me, because, after all, it's non of my buisness, but why sell them, if they sound good, especially considering the fact that they're a limited edition, so they might appreciate in time.

 

Signed, a confused, but painless, Stacker45.

What I mean about the U shape is while lying flat down the drivers are spread apart… where as when they are new, lying flat down the drivers are close to each other, so the headband is shaped more circular then U shaped, which makes them much more comfortable due to less clamping force. I really wasn't interested in the Bushmills plus I already had 3 pairs of Grados at the time. I was just fortunate to have gotten the chance to buy then, so I did, and checked them out, and sold them. I didn't care if they would be collectible or not, I'm not into *Limited Edition* production products, never was.  

 

This was very true, and very funny!!!

 

"Also, and keep in mind that I type very slowly, therefore those painkillers are in full stride by now, but you've said that the Bushmills sounded good out of the box, well duh! headphones usually don't sound they best when you leave them in the box".

:beerchug: 


Edited by joseph69 - 8/25/14 at 6:39am
post #18059 of 25026

I'm glad you found my post intertaining, and thanks for clarifying what you meant about the HP1-2-3 being U shaped as opposed to oh!, I don't know, horse shoe shaped, has you can see, I have my wits back.

 

I realise that the Bushmills X, are limited edition headphones, but I'm still surprised that they don't get discussed more. I just finished listening to mine, and I love the way they sound, and the fact that they're the cheapest wooded Grados, tickles me even more.

 

My knee is killing me, so I guess I'll be out of comission again for a few hours.

post #18060 of 25026

some crunchy music !!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!