Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 1185

post #17761 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post
 

 

Loreena McKennitt has been one of my favorites for a while. if you've already listened to samples of her later stuff, then you know that her later CDs really get away from the Irish songs from Elemental and move to more Mediterranean influences. I love it but it's a big shift from Elemental. I particularly like her Live in Paris and Toronto CD release from 94.

 

And, for my money, her music sounds best on the GS1000 and PS1000 Grados. her music is full of overlapping, layered percussion and rhythms. Big soundstage helps identify all the supporting acoustic work and provides the appropriate sense of scale. But the SR and RS Grados will highlight her voice to a greater degree, as you might expect..


I dig her, too. My Mom was into new age and Irish music...although I think she kind of transcends the genre. I like the Book of Secrets as well.

post #17762 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

Too lazy to do the fancy art work thing, but, on deck tonight, Loreenna McKennitt, Elemental CD 37 minutes of pure musical bliss. The PS1000. the LD 1+, and my trusty Yamaha DVD-S2700 will play quarter back for this one. Well!  off I go.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 


Just bought Elemental CD from Amazon.ca ! Thx for the rec. Great sounding acoustic music and divine vocals!

I could have saved $5 from iTunes, but I always prefer the CD, as I can then rip it as FLAC to my BDP-1 player (and Apple Lossless to my iPod Classic). SQ is WAY better

than mp4's from the web.

post #17763 of 18542

Hey, so I want your opinions on which Grado(s) is suited for classical music --

 

a) symphonies and choral (large scale)

b) chamber (small scale)

c) opera

 

I have been using the PS500 for a and b, GS1000i for a and c.

Not sure if my RS1i would better these for a, b, and/or c.

 

Any thoughts?

post #17764 of 18542

my 2 cents.

 

PS1000 for all three. Possibly GS1000i (or e) but I once owned the GS1000 (non i) and found the high end just a little too tipped up, making stuff like cymbals or violins a little too thin or papery compared to the PS1000. GS1000i might have improved that. not sure. it really depended on how those instruments were recorded on the track. If they were in the background, the GS1000 handled them OK. if they were more prominent in the mix, the GS1000 didn’t really work well with them.

 

But! the RS1i was also well suited for my tastes for b). I recently enjoyed a lot of small scale violin and cello concertos on the RS1i. Not sure if it would be better than a PS500. just different. It’ll be brighter and with a slightly smaller soundstage. you may prefer it, you may not. 

post #17765 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post
 

Hey, so I want your opinions on which Grado(s) is suited for classical music --

 

a) symphonies and choral (large scale)

b) chamber (small scale)

c) opera

 

I have been using the PS500 for a and b, GS1000i for a and c.

Not sure if my RS1i would better these for a, b, and/or c.

 

Any thoughts?

It sounds as if you have both the PS500 and the RS1i.  I'd love  your comparisons of the two (which is more transparent?  which has stronger bass?), as I bought the PS500.  I then traded it away in a moment of foolishness (for the AKG-3003i, a top IEM that DELIGHTS me, so it wasn't TOO foolish), but then felt pangs of homesickness or loss for no longer having my PS500. So I bought an RS-1i, understanding that it, (more than the PS500) represented the "true Grado house sound.

 

I love it... but I'd love your comparison.

 

Thanks!


Edited by kayandjohn - 8/11/14 at 4:18pm
post #17766 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post
 

my 2 cents.

 

PS1000 for all three. Possibly GS1000i (or e) but I once owned the GS1000 (non i) and found the high end just a little too tipped up, making stuff like cymbals or violins a little too thin or papery compared to the PS1000. GS1000i might have improved that. not sure. it really depended on how those instruments were recorded on the track. If they were in the background, the GS1000 handled them OK. if they were more prominent in the mix, the GS1000 didn’t really work well with them.

 

But! the RS1i was also well suited for my tastes for b). I recently enjoyed a lot of small scale violin and cello concertos on the RS1i. Not sure if it would be better than a PS500. just different. It’ll be brighter and with a slightly smaller soundstage. you may prefer it, you may not. 


Yes, RS1i is a tad brighter, but not unpleasantly so. I find it does the wood resonances and decays very ably. Not too worried about soundstaging with chamber music like quartets/quintets.

post #17767 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post

Hey, so I want your opinions on which Grado(s) is suited for classical music --

a) symphonies and choral (large scale)
b) chamber (small scale)
c) opera

I have been using the PS500 for a and b, GS1000i for a and c.
Not sure if my RS1i would better these for a, b, and/or c.

Any thoughts?
Maestro, I especially like my RS1i's for opera because of the way they accurately reproduce the timbre of the human voice with their prominent mid-range. The RS1's are also fantastic with chamber music because with better recordings it sounds like your sitting in the middle of the musicians. You would think that for large orchestral works the GS1K's would be the ticket, but when I listened to Mahlers 5th at the local "you can spend as much as a car here" audio store the GS1K's made the music sound a little distant, which I attribute to a less than stellar recording.
post #17768 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post
 


Yes, RS1i is a tad brighter, but not unpleasantly so. I find it does the wood resonances and decays very ably. Not too worried about soundstaging with chamber music like quartets/quintets.


agreed. And, hey, if you already have the GS1ki, PS500 and RS1 then you should be good to go for all three of those sub genres. Preference between PS500 and RS1 might change from one piece to another depending on the key instruments in play. sometimes you’ll want the heftier foundation of the PS500, sometimes you’ll want violins to jump at you like they will off the RS1.

 

GS1k will always win out for the biggest sense of scale. So, unless you want to give that PS1k a shot :P, then I think you already have the best possible Grado options for classical. you covered your bases. :)

post #17769 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post
 

It sounds as if you have both the PS500 and the RS1i.  I'd love  your comparisons of the two (which is more transparent?  which has stronger bass?), as I bought the PS500.  I then traded it away in a moment of foolishness (for the AKG-3003i, a top IEM that DELIGHTS me, so it wasn't TOO foolish), but then felt pangs of homesickness or loss for no longer having my PS500. So I bought an RS-1i, understanding that it, (more than the PS500) represented the "true Grado house sound.

 

I love it... but I'd love your comparison.

 

Thanks!

 

I've listened to both. To make a long story really short --- I find myself reaching for the PS500 about 40% of the time with classical, and RS1i about 30%. Close. The PS500, imo, is less "specialized" -- it can do multiple "sub-genres" of classical music, whereas my RS1i (note I said "my" -- I am not being generic here, see below) seems voiced for mainly chamber music. I tried listening to Beethoven's symphs on RS1i, and just did not get swept away. I can't quite finger the "flaw", if it is one. Maybe the RS1i does too much integrating across the soundstage -- like a wide-angle lens, spotting a herd or forest, whereas the 500 is a microscope, allowing me to spot the third trumpet in the Seventh Symphony's third mvt. I'm a detail nut, but I can also appreciate the ability to maintain good grasp of the overall sonic landscape, and that is what the 500 can still do quite well. Not clinical at all, at least with MY 500.

 

Also, the bass is better on my 500 than on my RS1i, with same tracks. Deeper and more controlled for a more satisfactory experience. Neither of them approaches the "live" quality of my LCD-2. And neither has the embracing warmth of my HD650. But with classical music, I think the highs are where the excitement lie, especially with strings and brass pieces like Haydn's Trumpet Concerto. My 500 is never harshly bright (I have 2 yrs on the 500, maybe it's "broken in"?), whereas I find that my RS1i (with only 4 months on it, about 500 hrs) can be too bright on some soprano and violin tracks. (LOL, my HD650 sometimes makes some of my violins tracks sound a bit like cellos!!).

 

Now, the qualification. Based on reading many opinions, I'm convinced that no two Grados, even of the same model, are identical. Grado tunes and matches drivers by ear, not by electronic metering, I think. So it could very well be that your 500 may perform differently, under the same amp-ing etc. than mine.

 

I hope this helps. I never was a "pro" reviewer, so finding the right terms/phrases always is a challenge for me.

post #17770 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post
 


agreed. And, hey, if you already have the GS1ki, PS500 and RS1 then you should be good to go for all three of those sub genres. Preference between PS500 and RS1 might change from one piece to another depending on the key instruments in play. sometimes you’ll want the heftier foundation of the PS500, sometimes you’ll want violins to jump at you like they will off the RS1.

 

GS1k will always win out for the biggest sense of scale. So, unless you want to give that PS1k a shot :P, then I think you already have the best possible Grado options for classical. you covered your bases. :)


It is nice to have those three. But it is frustrating to have to switch cans -- can't anyone out there make us ONE headphone that does it all at a 9/10  on each genre? They can send a probe to Mars, but can't design a HP to do it all? Marketing conspiracy....:angry_face:

post #17771 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcans View Post


Maestro, I especially like my RS1i's for opera because of the way they accurately reproduce the timbre of the human voice with their prominent mid-range. The RS1's are also fantastic with chamber music because with better recordings it sounds like your sitting in the middle of the musicians. You would think that for large orchestral works the GS1K's would be the ticket, but when I listened to Mahlers 5th at the local "you can spend as much as a car here" audio store the GS1K's made the music sound a little distant, which I attribute to a less than stellar recording.


Thanks. Interesting. Not surprised GS1Ki sounded distant, as mids are recessed with a wider SS. Price one pays.

RS1i: I'm probably listening to the wrong operas! I find my RS1i too bright for the sopranos I hear. I do Mozart mostly, who adored writing torturing arias for his sopranos! Magic Flute's infamous Queen of the Night aria, for example. Sounds great on PS500, and harsh on my RS1i. Likely 'cause the 500 has more bass that buffers the highs a bit? I shall go back to my RS1i and listen to some Verdi and Puccini  -- Italian operas are great for tenor and bass, and the soprano pieces aren't too showy like Mozart's.

 

It's great to have different viewpoints here; no such thing as a "right" opinion, so feel free to let loose.

post #17772 of 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post
 


It is nice to have those three. But it is frustrating to have to switch cans -- can't anyone out there make us ONE headphone that does it all at a 9/10  on each genre? They can send a probe to Mars, but can't design a HP to do it all? Marketing conspiracy....:angry_face:


well, within the grado family, I’ll be a broken record (sorry) and say the PS1k has reduced any desire I personally have for switching cans. it hits the balance of lifelike vocals, good soundstage, and good mids (not overly recessed). I do believe it can handle a lot of genres very, very well.

 

Not sure if you are looking at other options outside the Grado family. As you probably know, you got other options that are better at "doing it all" than the PS500, RS1, and GS1000.

 

I wouldn’t put the LCD 2 and HD650 in that group, though. but I might put the LCD3 there (although, maybe the newer LCD2.2 has wider genre bandwidth than the older model I tried.). HD800 with the proper amp. HE-500, too. Very few things those cans don’t do right. HD800 might be too distant for rock but will be fantastic for the three cases you listed. HE-500, too.

 

Or a modest Stax 2170 setup or a used Lambda Pro. 

 

Anyway, you brought up the question in the context of Grados. From my experience, the PS1000 will handle those genres best with no real desire to switch around cans.

 

But if you happen to be thinking about getting new cans in general for those genres (instead of wondering which of your existing ones to use), you may want to consider consolidating some of your sub 500 headphones and selling them to fund one purchase of a TOTL can that will “do it all” or, at least, “do most". And there’s no reason it needs to be a Grado if your focus  is classical.


Edited by LCfiner - 8/11/14 at 4:54pm
post #17773 of 18542

Good advice, LCFiner. Thanks.

 

I am going to make do with the arsenal that I have, rather than "upgrade". It is like a square dance, ultimately.....;) 

 

Off to eat and listen.

post #17774 of 18542

Just learned that Robin Williams has died. Apparent suicide. Depression. I am heartbroken.

Two geniuss gone within a year (Philip Seymour Hoffman the other). Unbelievable.

 

Will be listening to Barber's Adagio for strings tonight. Mozart's Requiem too.

post #17775 of 18542

I definitely agree that the PS1K's do all genres very well!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post
 


It is nice to have those three. But it is frustrating to have to switch cans -- can't anyone out there make us ONE headphone that does it all at a 9/10  on each genre? They can send a probe to Mars, but can't design a HP to do it all? Marketing conspiracy....:angry_face:


well, within the grado family, I’ll be a broken record (sorry) and say the PS1k has reduced any desire I personally have for switching cans. it hits the balance of lifelike vocals, good soundstage, and good mids (not overly recessed). I do believe it can handle a lot of genres very, very well.

 

Not sure if you are looking at other options outside the Grado family. As you probably know, you got other options that are better at "doing it all" than the PS500, RS1, and GS1000.

 

I wouldn’t put the LCD 2 and HD650 in that group, though. but I might put the LCD3 there (although, maybe the newer LCD2.2 has wider genre bandwidth than the older model I tried.). HD800 with the proper amp. HE-500, too. Very few things those cans don’t do right. HD800 might be too distant for rock but will be fantastic for the three cases you listed. HE-500, too.

 

Or a modest Stax 2170 setup or a used Lambda Pro. 

 

Anyway, you brought up the question in the context of Grados. From my experience, the PS1000 will handle those genres best with no real desire to switch around cans.

 

But if you happen to be thinking about getting new cans in general for those genres (instead of wondering which of your existing ones to use), you may want to consider consolidating some of your sub 500 headphones and selling them to fund one purchase of a TOTL can that will “do it all” or, at least, “do most". And there’s no reason it needs to be a Grado if your focus  is classical.


Edited by LCfiner - Today at 7:54 pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!