Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 1173

post #17581 of 18645
I've been listening a lot with my AD2000X and HE-4 lately. Switched to the 225i and I can see now why people can find them bright. I was quite surprised. They were bordering on too bright with the LD1+. The WA6 was better but my e10 sounded best. I guess I have to do some Grado ear training.
post #17582 of 18645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

I've been listening a lot with my AD2000X and HE-4 lately. Switched to the 225i and I can see now why people can find them bright. I was quite surprised. They were bordering on too bright with the LD1+. The WA6 was better but my e10 sounded best. I guess I have to do some Grado ear training.
What tubes are you using in your WA6? I only ask because it really affects the sound.
post #17583 of 18645
Fat bottle 6FD7 and a Rogers Canada 5U4G rectifier. I've tried a couple different rectifiers I'm not convinced I hear any difference. I personally don't understand how a rectifier can affect the tone...
Edited by bassboysam - 8/4/14 at 7:55pm
post #17584 of 18645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcans View Post


What tubes are you using in your WA6? I only ask because it really affects the sound.


bp, what tubes can u rec for my WA6? Using stock. Rollin' ain't my thing, but I keep an open mind (and wallet).

thx.

post #17585 of 18645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

Fat bottle 6FD7 and a Rogers Canada 5U4G rectifier. I've tried a couple different rectifiers I'm not convinced I hear any difference. I personally don't understand how a rectifier can affect the tone...

I found the "fat bottle" GE 6FD7's to be a bit ear piercing at times. but does sound good over all.

I also feel the driver/power tubes have a much bigger impact on the sound…but the rectifier tubes is a big part of the whole equation in my experience with the WA6/WA6-SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post
 


bp, what tubes can u rec for my WA6? Using stock. Rollin' ain't my thing, but I keep an open mind (and wallet).

thx.

Try some 6SN7's, theyr'e my favorite, but you might feel different. Its a nice full/rich sounding tube with a beautiful mid-range.You will need 6SN7>6DE7 adapters from Woo to use them.

post #17586 of 18645
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post


bp, what tubes can u rec for my WA6? Using stock. Rollin' ain't my thing, but I keep an open mind (and wallet).
thx.
The Sophia Princess rectifier is a definite step up from the stock rec tube supplied by Woo, but some say that it's overpriced and that there are better rec tubes available for cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I found the "fat bottle" GE 6FD7's to be a bit ear piercing at times. but does sound good over all.
I also feel the driver/power tubes have a much bigger impact on the sound…but the rectifier tubes is a big part of the whole equation in my experience with the WA6/WA6-SE.
Try some 6SN7's, theyr'e my favorite, but you might feel different. Its a nice full/rich sounding tube with a beautiful mid-range.You will need 6SN7>6DE7 adapters from Woo to use them.
I haven't tried the GE 6FD7's personally. After a lot of research and exhaustive discussions with joseph69 on this very subject I was convinced to get the "Mighty" USAF 596 rectifier tube in combination with some 6SN7 power/driver tubes. The sound through the WA6 with this tube combination is absolutely sublime and wonderful. Very eargasmic! Everybody hears things differently though, it's a very personal choice based upon the music you listen to and other sometimes, could be expensive, variables.
post #17587 of 18645

I dont own an iDevice and i am certainly never going to buy one.  My nexus 7 2012 and xperia u play flac but my entire library is on google play and theres no way of accessing google play music downloads outside the app or a specific client, even for conversion.  My library would cost about £40 in cd format, and im assuming i can convert those straight to flac?  Is it worth rebuying all my downloaded albums on cd?  Or should i simply not bother with an amp atm and just get l-cush or something?

post #17588 of 18645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post
 

The reason I like the LCD2 is because it sounds so different from Grados. I make a point to try and buy headphones that have as little in common as possible.  There really aren't many headphones that I really don't like.  The exception might be the HE400.

 

I also like cans that sound much different, as I find them to be the best compliment.

post #17589 of 18645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron head View Post

I dont own an iDevice and i am certainly never going to buy one.  My nexus 7 2012 and xperia u play flac but my entire library is on google play and theres no way of accessing google play music downloads outside the app or a specific client, even for conversion.  My library would cost about £40 in cd format, and im assuming i can convert those straight to flac?  Is it worth rebuying all my downloaded albums on cd?  Or should i simply not bother with an amp atm and just get l-cush or something?

1: quite the statement there

2: the nexus 7 downsamples high quality audio (as do iOS devices, actually)

3: in my opinion it's always worth owning the physical copy of an album. In my opinion i buy vinyl, then torrent the album from what.cd, as is legal by dutch law. (Check you local laws for this)

4: an amp or other cushions will both have a different effect. The pads are most likely cheaper though, so try those first.
post #17590 of 18645

Thanks bp and joseph for your wa6 tube recs.

 

Ironhead: Always a good idea to have CDs of your fav digital files on computer. Ripped CDs as FLAC/WAV can sound inferior to CDs played on a dedicated player (not thru a computer). XLD (for Mac) is a terrific free prog for ripping CDs and for interconverting file types (e.g. from FLAC to Apple Lossless, for iPod playback).

See this link: https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/buying-music/cd-ripping

post #17591 of 18645
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

1: quite the statement there

2: the nexus 7 downsamples high quality audio (as do iOS devices, actually)

3: in my opinion it's always worth owning the physical copy of an album. In my opinion i buy vinyl, then torrent the album from what.cd, as is legal by dutch law. (Check you local laws for this)

4: an amp or other cushions will both have a different effect. The pads are most likely cheaper though, so try those first.
Thanks for the info, I think I'll go with ur advice and buy pads first. What.CD sounds like a brilliant option, can I download FLAC from there or will I have to convert? Do they do metal and EDM? I don't have a vinyl player so this appears to be my only option so far.
post #17592 of 18645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron head View Post
 

I dont own an iDevice and i am certainly never going to buy one.  My nexus 7 2012 and xperia u play flac but my entire library is on google play and theres no way of accessing google play music downloads outside the app or a specific client, even for conversion.  My library would cost about £40 in cd format, and im assuming i can convert those straight to flac?  Is it worth rebuying all my downloaded albums on cd?  Or should i simply not bother with an amp atm and just get l-cush or something?

 

I also own only Android devices and choose not to purchase Apple products. One note, though: I'm pretty sure music uploaded onto your Google Play account gets downrezzed, I believe to 320kbps. If so, you aren't getting true bitperfect sound that way. I use Google Music too, and it's incredibly handy, but I don't think it's going to be your ultimate source for audio. 

 

Another option might be to purchase J. River Media Center for your computer and stream using the Gizmo app, which works pretty well for me. (Getting it set up to stream off 4G can be a bit of a hassle up front though). 

post #17593 of 18645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post
 

 

I also own only Android devices and choose not to purchase Apple products. One note, though: I'm pretty sure music uploaded onto your Google Play account gets downrezzed, I believe to 320kbps. If so, you aren't getting true bitperfect sound that way. I use Google Music too, and it's incredibly handy, but I don't think it's going to be your ultimate source for audio. 

 

Another option might be to purchase J. River Media Center for your computer and stream using the Gizmo app, which works pretty well for me. (Getting it set up to stream off 4G can be a bit of a hassle up front though). 

 

I have VLC on my BlackBerry Q10, and it plays FLAC really well! The stock music player is also quite good.

post #17594 of 18645

last song before I go to bed. Sweet dreams, here I come!:smile:

post #17595 of 18645

at first did not like my 325is. 

 

 

 

Now when i listen to my ATH m50 \\\

 

i feel like puking.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!