or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 1120

post #16786 of 27002

Well, I'm a kind of long time lurker, mainly just reading and gaining info about equipment here on the forums, but I decided that today I would actually post! And where better to chime than in the Grado Fan club thread. I got a pair of SR80s ~6 years ago which jumpstarted it all, and from then on I've been battling the cobwebs in my wallet. Following the SR80s have been a pair of 325is, RS2, and the RA1 amp. And some cartridges for a couple turntables. I've had some Sennheisers along the way... but I always go back to the Grados. Just wanted to voice my appreciation! :beyersmile:

post #16787 of 27002

So the time has come to compare the old to the new… RS1i VS RS1e!

I’ve owned the RS1 classic in the past, I loved it really, but financial obligations and student loans overrode my love of these amazing headphones. Fast forward to today and I have not one but two pairs of these amazing Grado’s in my possession! The RS1i RedEye (early production RS1e with red drivers and RS1i markings) and the now discontinued RS1i, I would have never thought I could be fortunate! The last few days I’ve used the RS1i exclusively, because I feared my ears had grown accustomed to the melodious tone of my new RS1e. My equipment I used in my test is as follows…

Amps

 

AudioGD  11.32

O2

Glenn OTL

Modded  Little Dot MK1+

Schiit Lyr

 

Dacs

 

AudioGD 11.32

ODAC

 

Blab!?

 

All of it run through my PC using mostly FLAC.

 

Music wise I tend to love anything and everything, though I predominantly listen to rock/metal. I appreciate the subtleties that any pair of Grado’s imparts on the sound of a guitar. The RS1 though represents the pinnacle of the “Grado” sound... the question though is… have they made it better? Or better yet, how could they make it better?

 

Ergonomics

 

The fit and feel of any Grado headphone is polarizing, some hate it… others, like myself have either “Grado ears” or lobes made of steel. The new RS1 does deviate from the standard Grado comfort. With its protruding drivers and out of the box death-grip clamp the RS1e was bearable but far from ideal. A simple bend of the headband, a few hair ties (around the protruding driver, and in the channel the pad mounts to) help keep the pad from overly compressing and shoving the driver into your ear. A simple mod, but necessary to fully appreciate the sonic bliss that awaits.

Bone stock the old RS1’s are more comfortable… with my above mod and a quick wash of the pads and they are very similar in overall fit and comfort.

 

Sound

 

The RS1 regardless of vintage sounds like an RS1, this includes the new RS1e. Tasty forward mids, sweet treble, and a nice mid bass bump… all key identifiers of any Grado headphone are all here. Just more! The RS1e makes the old RS1i sound a bit nasally and thin. The new 50mm driver is definitely responsible for the added body to the overall sound. On the Plus side the new RS1e is more forgiving of poorly recorded audio, less fatiguing, more transparent, is more detailed and has a slightly wider and deeper soundstage. It’s also more refined and much less shouty… Cymbals are not splashy at all anymore.

The mids are still typical Grado... but fuller, smoother and more detailed. They somehow retained all of the good and fixed most of the bad

Bass response is improved, hitting a little harder and reaching a little deeper.

Now this isn’t all doom and gloom for the old RS1 owners out there, your old can has one little trick it does better than the new kid… Texture, the old can has a better sense of texture on a few tracks, mostly older recordings, this shows up predominantly in electric guitars. BUT again it’s one trick and honestly only happens on occasion when the stars are aligned just right.

In a nutshell, the new RS1e does a lot of what the old RS1 did, just more of it all.

 

Closing

 

If you’re on the fence about the new RS1e I would say go for it, but with one caveat; make your purchase from an authorized retailer with a good return policy, or better yet get an in home demo! If you’re a current owner of a previous generation RS1 I urge you to check these out, they are simply great headphones that keep most of what you love about the outgoing version, and add a lot to fix the issues that Grado has had since the dawn of time.

 

There will be more to add after tomorrow's mini meet, addition impressions and discussion... and maybe even some things I've missed.

post #16788 of 27002

Sounds like I'd be on the fence with the RS-1e... The reason I kept the SR325i instead of RS-1i was texture especially on guitars. Looks like I'm going to have to audition one to be sure.

post #16789 of 27002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThirdFret View Post
 

Well, I'm a kind of long time lurker, mainly just reading and gaining info about equipment here on the forums, but I decided that today I would actually post! And where better to chime than in the Grado Fan club thread. I got a pair of SR80s ~6 years ago which jumpstarted it all, and from then on I've been battling the cobwebs in my wallet. Following the SR80s have been a pair of 325is, RS2, and the RA1 amp. And some cartridges for a couple turntables. I've had some Sennheisers along the way... but I always go back to the Grados. Just wanted to voice my appreciation! :beyersmile:

Welcome to the thread....stick around...great bunch of guys here.

 

Quote:
 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

So the time has come to compare the old to the new… RS1i VS RS1e!

I’ve owned the RS1 classic in the past, I loved it really, but financial obligations and student loans overrode my love of these amazing headphones. Fast forward to today and I have not one but two pairs of these amazing Grado’s in my possession! The RS1i RedEye (early production RS1e with red drivers and RS1i markings) and the now discontinued RS1i, I would have never thought I could be fortunate! The last few days I’ve used the RS1i exclusively, because I feared my ears had grown accustomed to the melodious tone of my new RS1e. My equipment I used in my test is as follows…

Amps

 

AudioGD  11.32

O2

Glenn OTL

Modded  Little Dot MK1+

Schiit Lyr

 

Dacs

 

AudioGD 11.32

ODAC

 

Blab!?

 

All of it run through my PC using mostly FLAC.

 

Music wise I tend to love anything and everything, though I predominantly listen to rock/metal. I appreciate the subtleties that any pair of Grado’s imparts on the sound of a guitar. The RS1 though represents the pinnacle of the “Grado” sound... the question though is… have they made it better? Or better yet, how could they make it better?

 

Ergonomics

 

The fit and feel of any Grado headphone is polarizing, some hate it… others, like myself have either “Grado ears” or lobes made of steel. The new RS1 does deviate from the standard Grado comfort. With its protruding drivers and out of the box death-grip clamp the RS1e was bearable but far from ideal. A simple bend of the headband, a few hair ties (around the protruding driver, and in the channel the pad mounts to) help keep the pad from overly compressing and shoving the driver into your ear. A simple mod, but necessary to fully appreciate the sonic bliss that awaits.

Bone stock the old RS1’s are more comfortable… with my above mod and a quick wash of the pads and they are very similar in overall fit and comfort.

 

Sound

 

The RS1 regardless of vintage sounds like an RS1, this includes the new RS1e. Tasty forward mids, sweet treble, and a nice mid bass bump… all key identifiers of any Grado headphone are all here. Just more! The RS1e makes the old RS1i sound a bit nasally and thin. The new 50mm driver is definitely responsible for the added body to the overall sound. On the Plus side the new RS1e is more forgiving of poorly recorded audio, less fatiguing, more transparent, is more detailed and has a slightly wider and deeper soundstage. It’s also more refined and much less shouty… Cymbals are not splashy at all anymore.

The mids are still typical Grado... but fuller, smoother and more detailed. They somehow retained all of the good and fixed most of the bad

Bass response is improved, hitting a little harder and reaching a little deeper.

Now this isn’t all doom and gloom for the old RS1 owners out there, your old can has one little trick it does better than the new kid… Texture, the old can has a better sense of texture on a few tracks, mostly older recordings, this shows up predominantly in electric guitars. BUT again it’s one trick and honestly only happens on occasion when the stars are aligned just right.

In a nutshell, the new RS1e does a lot of what the old RS1 did, just more of it all.

 

Closing

 

If you’re on the fence about the new RS1e I would say go for it, but with one caveat; make your purchase from an authorized retailer with a good return policy, or better yet get an in home demo! If you’re a current owner of a previous generation RS1 I urge you to check these out, they are simply great headphones that keep most of what you love about the outgoing version, and add a lot to fix the issues that Grado has had since the dawn of time.

 

There will be more to add after tomorrow's mini meet, addition impressions and discussion... and maybe even some things I've missed.

 

Thanks much for the review.

 

I would love for someone to do a review and a side by side on these two cans with a Mad Ear.....Jay....you listening.

 

I am just thinking out loud, when i say this....but when i bought my RS1i, some of the things that you mention, were cured after I bought my Mad.

 

Things like imaging...sound stage and a rounding off of the edgy treble.

 

I am thinking if everyone buys an RS1e....then they can sell their RS1's for pennies on the dollar....and I can get back in the fold  :p

 

As far as comfort, I too have Grado ears....so....heck the RS1's are some of the most comfortable cans that i have worn.

 

Nice review, thanks  kvtaco17

post #16790 of 27002
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

Welcome to the thread....stick around...great bunch of guys here.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Thanks much for the review.

 

I would love for someone to do a review and a side by side on these two cans with a Mad Ear.....Jay....you listening.

 

I am just thinking out loud, when i say this....but when i bought my RS1i, some of the things that you mention, were cured after I bought my Mad.

 

Things like imaging...sound stage and a rounding off of the edgy treble.

 

I am thinking if everyone buys an RS1e....then they can sell their RS1's for pennies on the dollar....and I can get back in the fold  :p

 

As far as comfort, I too have Grado ears....so....heck the RS1's are some of the most comfortable cans that i have worn.

 

Nice review, thanks  kvtaco17


i'm like the NSA, i'm always listening    :ph34r:

post #16791 of 27002

kvtaco17, thanks for taking the time to do this write up, much appreciated!

 

 

 

 

last song before I go to bed:


Edited by wormsdriver - 7/13/14 at 6:52am
post #16792 of 27002

That’s a real nice rundown of the RS1e sound vs the RS1i, kvtaco. thanks! your description sounds a little like how my RS1i sounds when I replace bowls with flats. but the flats also collapse the soundstage and make it a bit too thick in the mid bass (although that sound is fun sometimes). seems like Grado might have tweaked the RS1e sound to be smoother and richer while still using bowls. Sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

 

As one of the few people who’s interested in charts and measurements  - and likes Grados at the same time :) - I’m curious to see new measurement data of the new e series. Specifically the RS1e, GS1k and PS1k models to see just what extent the changes are in frequency response and distortion. I’m hoping headroom has revised charts in the next couple months.

 

side note, I bought a used PS1000 and it’s delivering Monday. I decided to give them another chance now that I own the MAD Ear+. I had thought about going straight to the PS1000e but decided to get a cheaper, used model (good price at $1050 CAD) to see if the treble issues I had with them before were more artifacts of the amp I was using at the time (Burson Soloist).

 

If the issues are still there (for my ears), I can resell. If they’re not, then I can save up and get a PS1ke next year and enjoy the apparently deeper bass and wider sound staging.

 

I’ll have impressions of the PS1k and MAD Ear+ combo Monday night or Tuesday.

post #16793 of 27002
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

That’s a real nice rundown of the RS1e sound vs the RS1i, kvtaco. thanks! your description sounds a little like how my RS1i sounds when I replace bowls with flats. but the flats also collapse the soundstage and make it a bit too thick in the mid bass (although that sound is fun sometimes). seems like Grado might have tweaked the RS1e sound to be smoother and richer while still using bowls. Sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

As one of the few people who’s interested in charts and measurements  - and likes Grados at the same time smily_headphones1.gif - I’m curious to see new measurement data of the new e series. Specifically the RS1e, GS1k and PS1k models to see just what extent the changes are in frequency response and distortion. I’m hoping headroom has revised charts in the next couple months.

side note, I bought a used PS1000 and it’s delivering Monday. I decided to give them another chance now that I own the MAD Ear+. I had thought about going straight to the PS1000e but decided to get a cheaper, used model (good price at $1050 CAD) to see if the treble issues I had with them before were more artifacts of the amp I was using at the time (Burson Soloist).

If the issues are still there (for my ears), I can resell. If they’re not, then I can save up and get a PS1ke next year and enjoy the apparently deeper bass and wider sound staging.

I’ll have impressions of the PS1k and MAD Ear+ combo Monday night or Tuesday.

Nice! Can I come over this week to try out your PS1000 setup? tongue.gif
post #16794 of 27002


Nice way to wake up.
post #16795 of 27002
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post
 

That’s a real nice rundown of the RS1e sound vs the RS1i, kvtaco. thanks! your description sounds a little like how my RS1i sounds when I replace bowls with flats. but the flats also collapse the soundstage and make it a bit too thick in the mid bass (although that sound is fun sometimes). seems like Grado might have tweaked the RS1e sound to be smoother and richer while still using bowls. Sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

 

As one of the few people who’s interested in charts and measurements  - and likes Grados at the same time :) - I’m curious to see new measurement data of the new e series. Specifically the RS1e, GS1k and PS1k models to see just what extent the changes are in frequency response and distortion. I’m hoping headroom has revised charts in the next couple months.

 

side note, I bought a used PS1000 and it’s delivering Monday. I decided to give them another chance now that I own the MAD Ear+. I had thought about going straight to the PS1000e but decided to get a cheaper, used model (good price at $1050 CAD) to see if the treble issues I had with them before were more artifacts of the amp I was using at the time (Burson Soloist).

 

If the issues are still there (for my ears), I can resell. If they’re not, then I can save up and get a PS1ke next year and enjoy the apparently deeper bass and wider sound staging.

 

I’ll have impressions of the PS1k and MAD Ear+ combo Monday night or Tuesday.


i had that combo for a brief time, i really enjoyed too

post #16796 of 27002
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

So the time has come to compare the old to the new… RS1i VS RS1e!
I’ve owned the RS1 classic in the past, I loved it really, but financial obligations and student loans overrode my love of these amazing headphones. Fast forward to today and I have not one but two pairs of these amazing Grado’s in my possession! The RS1i RedEye (early production RS1e with red drivers and RS1i markings) and the now discontinued RS1i, I would have never thought I could be fortunate! The last few days I’ve used the RS1i exclusively, because I feared my ears had grown accustomed to the melodious tone of my new RS1e. My equipment I used in my test is as follows…
Amps

AudioGD  11.32
O2
Glenn OTL
Modded  Little Dot MK1+
Schiit Lyr

Dacs

AudioGD 11.32
ODAC

Blab!?

All of it run through my PC using mostly FLAC.

Music wise I tend to love anything and everything, though I predominantly listen to rock/metal. I appreciate the subtleties that any pair of Grado’s imparts on the sound of a guitar. The RS1 though represents the pinnacle of the “Grado” sound... the question though is… have they made it better? Or better yet, how could they make it better?

Ergonomics

The fit and feel of any Grado headphone is polarizing, some hate it… others, like myself have either “Grado ears” or lobes made of steel. The new RS1 does deviate from the standard Grado comfort. With its protruding drivers and out of the box death-grip clamp the RS1e was bearable but far from ideal. A simple bend of the headband, a few hair ties (around the protruding driver, and in the channel the pad mounts to) help keep the pad from overly compressing and shoving the driver into your ear. A simple mod, but necessary to fully appreciate the sonic bliss that awaits.
Bone stock the old RS1’s are more comfortable… with my above mod and a quick wash of the pads and they are very similar in overall fit and comfort.

Sound

The RS1 regardless of vintage sounds like an RS1, this includes the new RS1e. Tasty forward mids, sweet treble, and a nice mid bass bump… all key identifiers of any Grado headphone are all here. Just more! The RS1e makes the old RS1i sound a bit nasally and thin. The new 50mm driver is definitely responsible for the added body to the overall sound. On the Plus side the new RS1e is more forgiving of poorly recorded audio, less fatiguing, more transparent, is more detailed and has a slightly wider and deeper soundstage. It’s also more refined and much less shouty… Cymbals are not splashy at all anymore.
The mids are still typical Grado... but fuller, smoother and more detailed. They somehow retained all of the good and fixed most of the bad
Bass response is improved, hitting a little harder and reaching a little deeper.
Now this isn’t all doom and gloom for the old RS1 owners out there, your old can has one little trick it does better than the new kid… Texture, the old can has a better sense of texture on a few tracks, mostly older recordings, this shows up predominantly in electric guitars. BUT again it’s one trick and honestly only happens on occasion when the stars are aligned just right.
In a nutshell, the new RS1e does a lot of what the old RS1 did, just more of it all.

Closing

If you’re on the fence about the new RS1e I would say go for it, but with one caveat; make your purchase from an authorized retailer with a good return policy, or better yet get an in home demo! If you’re a current owner of a previous generation RS1 I urge you to check these out, they are simply great headphones that keep most of what you love about the outgoing version, and add a lot to fix the issues that Grado has had since the dawn of time.

There will be more to add after tomorrow's mini meet, addition impressions and discussion... and maybe even some things I've missed.

Very awesome and thorough! Thanks kv!
post #16797 of 27002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving[MAX]Sound View Post

Very awesome and thorough! Thanks kv!
+1 Couldn't agree more!
post #16798 of 27002

if you like blues, rock, and jam bands ,check this website out   http://deepjams.net/

post #16799 of 27002
Wormsdriver I got a little busy trying to buy a lake house in the white montains in AZ. But thank you so much for that yesterdays brews and tunes in the afternoon haven heard anything like it since Stevie Ray Vaughan. Go figure one more wonderful Freddie King sound out of Texas.
Jay and you can just keep them coming.
post #16800 of 27002

the king !!!

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!