Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 1073

post #16081 of 17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

 

Yeah...the HD650 take a couple hundred hours  :smile:

 

I got mine all broke in.....then I just sold them today....I will miss them....good cans.


???????? what tha ?????

post #16082 of 17179
Pot...meet kettle...
post #16083 of 17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


???????? what tha ?????


Well.....they just are not going to get the deserved headtime......between the RS1 and the HD800...well, they kind of get left out

post #16084 of 17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

Pot...meet kettle...


ha ha

post #16085 of 17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

Pot...meet kettle...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 


ha ha


 HA

post #16086 of 17179

I solved that remorse thing, I just stopped selling headphones. I got my Valhalla 2 amp today. I would like to say it made my Grado's sound like a brand new headphone, but as I feared it did not. They sound pretty good but only just that. As I suspected and to be honest, it is what Schiit says about this amp on their website, it makes my Senns sound like brand new headphones, the HD700 in particular sound like they were made for this amp or vice-versa. I have never heard them sound better. I do like the very low noise and distortion though as it does allow the Grado's to sound very clear and reveal all the micro-detail that they are good at, but the bass is pretty dismal.

post #16087 of 17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

I solved that remorse thing, I just stopped selling headphones. I got my Valhalla 2 amp today. I would like to say it made my Grado's sound like a brand new headphone, but as I feared it did not. They sound pretty good but only just that. As I suspected and to be honest, it is what Schiit says about this amp on their website, it makes my Senns sound like brand new headphones, the HD700 in particular sound like they were made for this amp or vice-versa. I have never heard them sound better. I do like the very low noise and distortion though as it does allow the Grado's to sound very clear and reveal all the micro-detail that they are good at, but the bass is pretty dismal.

Congratulations on the new Schiit!

Glad too hear it pairs well with you HD-700, enjoy!

post #16088 of 17179

Maybe you can roll the tubes for the Grados.

post #16089 of 17179

i feel that my rs2i have more impact than my hd650 and westone 4r

my sr60 are more airy and have a rumble to the bass, but, by far they lack the definition, and the texture and tightness in the bass and midbass region are absolutely not in the same league as the rs2i

but both my grado have that sense of impact, that vibration, that air moving, wind turning into sound, that sense of happening right there in this very moment

i havent found a proper way of describing it yet...

and im trying to

 

but my rs2i with fiio x3 is my favorite setup atm

my speaker set-up sound better but they dont feel as personal,

and i guess thats why i love grado

the mono vs 3-d surround

sometimes less is more

it might be a matter of raw vs refined

music vs sound 
 

post #16090 of 17179
I have been curious with Grado phones for a while and last week I decided to give it a try with the SR80i. To keep things short, I was impressed how it sounded in the mids and treble. I heard a lot of people say that Grado phones are too bright and harsh. FR curves I see around supports these claim. I have a Beyerdynamic T1 and it can sound harsh at times and it's FR curve on the treble is way below than a Grado but when I tried the SR80i it's no more harsher than my T1. It's actually quite smoother actually pleasing to the ears. The micro detail resolution is very revealing. The bass is not huge but is not absent either. To be honest, I like the texture of the bass.

So yesterday I decided to demo other Grado cans. I tried the 325IS, PS500, RS1I. For some resaon, I like how 325is and PS500 sound over the RS1i.

The 325i I feel is an overall improvement over SR80i, the PS500 has a tamed treble compared to 325 but has the similar detail clarity. Where it shine is in the bass. It's a level bigger than the 325 and I belive is has the most neutral signature.

As for the RS1i, it seemed I was missing something when I listen to it compared to 325is or PS500. It doesn't have the impact nor the same level of detail resolution in the treble region.

I left the store ordering the 325e. With PS500e to follow in the near future. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by headwhacker - 6/19/14 at 11:53pm
post #16091 of 17179

If I had to use one word to describe the sound of my RS2i, it would be 'clean' . It is as if that headphone was somehow able to reduce the distortion of the amp it is plugged into. There is no getting around the bass issue but then again they do make the PS series for that.

post #16092 of 17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

I have been curious with Grado phones for a while and last week I decided to give it a try with the SR80i. To keep things things short, I was impressed how it sounded on mids and treble. I heard a lot of people say that Grado phones are too bright and harsh. FR curves I see around supports these claim. I have a Beyerdynamic T1 and it can sound harsh at times and it's FR curve on the treble is way below than a Grado but when I tried the SR80i it's no more harsher than my T1. It's actually quite smoother actually pleasing to the ears. The micro detail resolution is very revealing.

So yesterday I decided to demo other Grado cans. I tried the 325IS, PS500, RS1I. For some resaon, I like how 325is and PS500 sound over the RS1i.

The 325i I feel is an overall improvement over SR80i, the PS500 has a tamed treble compared to 325 but where it shine is in the bass.

I left the store ordering the 325e. With PS500e to follow in the near future. smily_headphones1.gif


You probably don't know how well burned-in those 325's were in the store either. I think it is probably the metal driver housing, but they do reproduce bass in a way I really like. That is also the reason I think I would really like the PS1k too. Point being be sure you give those new phones a LOT of time to burn-in. I keep thinking mine are burned in and they keep getting better...maybe they never get burned-in:atsmile:

post #16093 of 17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


You probably don't know how well burned-in those 325's were in the store either. I think it is probably the metal driver housing, but they do reproduce bass in a way I really like. That is also the reason I think I would really like the PS1k too. Point being be sure you give those new phones a LOT of time to burn-in. I keep thinking mine are burned in and they keep getting better...maybe they never get burned-in" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/atsmile.gif">

 



I'm pretty sure the 325 and PS500 I tried has been on display for a long time and have seen longer mileage in terms of burn-in time compared to the RS1i I tried. Perhaps I would give the RS1i another try in a few months smily_headphones1.gif
post #16094 of 17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 


You probably don't know how well burned-in those 325's were in the store either. I think it is probably the metal driver housing, but they do reproduce bass in a way I really like. That is also the reason I think I would really like the PS1k too. Point being be sure you give those new phones a LOT of time to burn-in. I keep thinking mine are burned in and they keep getting better...maybe they never get burned-in<img src=

 



I'm pretty sure the 325 and PS500 I tried has been on display for a long time and have seen longer mileage in terms of burn-in time compared to the RS1i I tried. Perhaps I would give the RS1i another try in a few months smily_headphones1.gif

 

You can, but know there are those of us out there who prefer the 325s to the RS-1s, me being one of them (and having owned both) :D

post #16095 of 17179

Hello there everyone !

 

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but has anyone here heard some of the new E-series cans ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!