Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 1008

post #15106 of 21113

Here are my first impressions with the Schiit Asgard 2 amp, that I received last night, with Grados... (copied from the Schiit thread)

------------------------------------------------------

 

My first hour of listening was straight out of the box, coming from a Bifrost (USB, non-uber), to the RS1i. At first listen, I wasn't too overwhelmed... wasn't quite what I remembered hearing, but memory can be a capricious beast. But over the course of the next hour, I can say the bass is deep and well-defined, but not heavy. This amp is not as bright as I anticipated (especially with the common thought that they don't go well with Grados), and actually I don't really think I'd call it any more bright than the headphones that you plug into them - by definition, I guess I'd call it transparent. I'll plug in my Q701s later, and that should really show if they just emphasize a bright headphone's brightness or not. The PS500 immediately feels more at home with this amp. To my ears, there's less adjustment my brain needs to make listening to the PS500 than the RS1. It could just be the more bassy nature of the PS.

 

The soundstage of the Asgard 2 is impressive. Grados are not known for their soundstage by any means, but it certainly feels wider and deeper than either the Fiio E09K or the LD1+. Speaking of the E09K, I think I'd call the signatures between the A2 and it similar, the Asgard is just cleaner and more articulate in every way.

 

The build quality is really, really impressive considering the $250 price tag. Schiit builds good gear - no doubt about that. The volume pot is smooth, with just the right amount of resistance to me. It's a hefty amp, and feels very solid... very sharp edges, though. I may take a small file to the edges to bevel them a bit.

 

Now, to compare to the LD1+, the A2 is brighter - I'd like to say it's less cozy - than the Little Dot with Voshkods, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just depends on your taste. As I mentioned before, the main reason I wanted to try this amp alongside the LD1+ is the inherent low-maintenance nature of solid-state. The tubes I have in the LD are very susceptible to RF, and that can put a damper on a good listening session if my tablet or phone are anywhere near the amp.

 

In the end, I have space for two amps on my listening table. Like having multiple headphones, there's a toy for any occasion. It's a really good amp for $250, for sure!

post #15107 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


they don't seem to come up as much other grado's


I would guess that is actually a good thing. Means people keep em once they buy em.

post #15108 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


they don't seem to come up as much other grado's


I would guess that is actually a good thing. Means people keep em once they buy em.

It also might mean that fewer GS are sold than PS, given the price point.

post #15109 of 21113

Couldn't agree more with the A2 and PS500.  :beerchug:

 

post #15110 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsubox View Post
 

Here are my first impressions with the Schiit Asgard 2 amp, that I received last night, with Grados... (copied from the Schiit thread)

------------------------------------------------------

 

My first hour of listening was straight out of the box, coming from a Bifrost (USB, non-uber), to the RS1i. At first listen, I wasn't too overwhelmed... wasn't quite what I remembered hearing, but memory can be a capricious beast. But over the course of the next hour, I can say the bass is deep and well-defined, but not heavy. This amp is not as bright as I anticipated (especially with the common thought that they don't go well with Grados), and actually I don't really think I'd call it any more bright than the headphones that you plug into them - by definition, I guess I'd call it transparent. I'll plug in my Q701s later, and that should really show if they just emphasize a bright headphone's brightness or not. The PS500 immediately feels more at home with this amp. To my ears, there's less adjustment my brain needs to make listening to the PS500 than the RS1. It could just be the more bassy nature of the PS.

 

The soundstage of the Asgard 2 is impressive. Grados are not known for their soundstage by any means, but it certainly feels wider and deeper than either the Fiio E09K or the LD1+. Speaking of the E09K, I think I'd call the signatures between the A2 and it similar, the Asgard is just cleaner and more articulate in every way.

 

The build quality is really, really impressive considering the $250 price tag. Schiit builds good gear - no doubt about that. The volume pot is smooth, with just the right amount of resistance to me. It's a hefty amp, and feels very solid... very sharp edges, though. I may take a small file to the edges to bevel them a bit.

 

Now, to compare to the LD1+, the A2 is brighter - I'd like to say it's less cozy - than the Little Dot with Voshkods, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just depends on your taste. As I mentioned before, the main reason I wanted to try this amp alongside the LD1+ is the inherent low-maintenance nature of solid-state. The tubes I have in the LD are very susceptible to RF, and that can put a damper on a good listening session if my tablet or phone are anywhere near the amp.

 

In the end, I have space for two amps on my listening table. Like having multiple headphones, there's a toy for any occasion. It's a really good amp for $250, for sure!

I just have onr HP/225i and one amp-Asgard-2. I've been focused on putting together a speaker system and expanding a wireless Sonos system for the house so my headfidom has halted for a while.

 

I've read so many positive comments about the LD1+, that I've often thought I made the wrong decision. But, at the time I wasn't sure what other HP's I might end up (I'm still not sure! Audeze LCD-2, HE 500, RS1...just don't know yet).

 

Going with one singleton amp-the A-2 seemed more versatile w/ more options. But, I've had some second thoughts.

 

Regardless, given my HP listening is probably about 20% or less, I've felt for a whopping $450-I've got a decent entry level HP set up, and it seems to work out well for most of the guitar oriented rock, metal and jazz that makes up most of my listening these days.

 


thanks for that in depth analysis. Really!


Edited by markm1 - 5/24/14 at 5:13pm
post #15111 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post
 

I just have onr HP/225i and one amp-Asgard-2. I've been focused on putting together a speaker system and expanding a wireless Sonos system for the house so my headfidom has halted for a while.

 

I've read so many positive comments about the LD1+, that I've often thought I made the wrong decision. But, at the time I wasn't sure what other HP's I might end up (I'm still not sure! Audeze LCD-2, HE 500, RS1...just don't know yet).

 

Going with one singleton amp-the A-2 seemed more versatile w/ more options. But, I've had some second thoughts.

 

Regardless, given my HP listening is probably about 20% or less, I've felt for a whopping $450-I've got a decent entry level HP set up, and it seems to work out well for most of the guitar oriented rock, metal and jazz that makes up most of my listening these days.

 


thanks for that in depth analysis. Really!

 

For $450, the Grado/A2 combination is very hard to beat! Not having to break the bank and enjoy some really great music is a wonderful thing.

post #15112 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsubox View Post
 

 

For $450, the Grado/A2 combination is very hard to beat! Not having to break the bank and enjoy some really great music is a wonderful thing.


Yes-that's it exactly. An economical entry into seriously great sound.

post #15113 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post
 


Yes-that's it exactly. An economical entry into seriously great sound.

I used to enjoy the sound from the headphone out on my Sony CDP-C701ES with my Grado SR-80i's so much I couldn't believe it! Then I turned into a Head-Fi junkie, and that was it…I couldn't be helped…it just got worse and worse!

post #15114 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsubox View Post
 

Here are my first impressions with the Schiit Asgard 2 amp, that I received last night, with Grados... (copied from the Schiit thread)

------------------------------------------------------

 

My first hour of listening was straight out of the box, coming from a Bifrost (USB, non-uber), to the RS1i. At first listen, I wasn't too overwhelmed... wasn't quite what I remembered hearing, but memory can be a capricious beast. But over the course of the next hour, I can say the bass is deep and well-defined, but not heavy. This amp is not as bright as I anticipated (especially with the common thought that they don't go well with Grados), and actually I don't really think I'd call it any more bright than the headphones that you plug into them - by definition, I guess I'd call it transparent. I'll plug in my Q701s later, and that should really show if they just emphasize a bright headphone's brightness or not. The PS500 immediately feels more at home with this amp. To my ears, there's less adjustment my brain needs to make listening to the PS500 than the RS1. It could just be the more bassy nature of the PS.

 

The soundstage of the Asgard 2 is impressive. Grados are not known for their soundstage by any means, but it certainly feels wider and deeper than either the Fiio E09K or the LD1+. Speaking of the E09K, I think I'd call the signatures between the A2 and it similar, the Asgard is just cleaner and more articulate in every way.

 

The build quality is really, really impressive considering the $250 price tag. Schiit builds good gear - no doubt about that. The volume pot is smooth, with just the right amount of resistance to me. It's a hefty amp, and feels very solid... very sharp edges, though. I may take a small file to the edges to bevel them a bit.

 

Now, to compare to the LD1+, the A2 is brighter - I'd like to say it's less cozy - than the Little Dot with Voshkods, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just depends on your taste. As I mentioned before, the main reason I wanted to try this amp alongside the LD1+ is the inherent low-maintenance nature of solid-state. The tubes I have in the LD are very susceptible to RF, and that can put a damper on a good listening session if my tablet or phone are anywhere near the amp.

 

In the end, I have space for two amps on my listening table. Like having multiple headphones, there's a toy for any occasion. It's a really good amp for $250, for sure!


I have been looking quite a bit for a solid state option for my bedroom listening and I just can't find anything even remotely affordable and of high quality at the same time for less than $1500. As I was reading this post of yours it struck me...just get an Asgard 2 and one of the new Modi's with the toslink input and I am done for $350. I can't believe I didn't think of this about a month ago. <G> If I want even cheaper I can get a Vali amp and be under $300 but I think I will start with the Asgard as it will drive planars as well and I have some LCD2's coming. Not sure the Vali could handle those.

post #15115 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I used to enjoy the sound from the headphone out on my Sony CDP-C701ES with my Grado SR-80i's so much I couldn't believe it! Then I turned into a Head-Fi junkie, and that was it…I couldn't be helped…it just got worse and worse!


You could have added about 4 more 'and worse' on there.

post #15116 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 


I have been looking quite a bit for a solid state option for my bedroom listening and I just can't find anything even remotely affordable and of high quality at the same time for less than $1500. As I was reading this post of yours it struck me...just get an Asgard 2 and one of the new Modi's with the toslink input and I am done for $350. I can't believe I didn't think of this about a month ago. <G> If I want even cheaper I can get a Vali amp and be under $300 but I think I will start with the Asgard as it will drive planars as well and I have some LCD2's coming. Not sure the Vali could handle those.

 

Glad I could help!

 

I'll need to hook the A2 up to my USB Modi to hear what that sounds like!

post #15117 of 21113
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 


You could have added about 4 more 'and worse' on there.

And worse, and worse, and worse, and worse.

But thats it for me, (I hope!)

post #15118 of 21113

You guys have done it again. I decided to try some Beyer T1's. Amazon has them on a pretty good sale and they have a real good return policy too. I think the reason some of you like them so well is that in at least 3 different reviews I read, the reviewer said they reminded them a lot of their RS1i's. I am hoping they do have some of the Grado sound to them. If they don't pan out I can send them back for some GS1000's. Kind of a win win..except for my wallet where it is a loose loose.

post #15119 of 21113
I successfully fought off the urge to buy some T1's last night. Those and maybe a pair of the Denon AH-D7000 are the only headphones I would want in my collection besides any Grados.
post #15120 of 21113

post deleted 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!