Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 978

post #14656 of 18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

The ps1000 , from the classified thread, im pretty stoked

Man, that is awesome. I can't wait to hear what you think.....The suspense is killing me, because i think we have pretty similar tastes. That is the only Grado left that I want to hear. Congrats!!

post #14657 of 18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oteil View Post
 

Man, that is awesome. I can't wait to hear what you think.....The suspense is killing me, because i think we have pretty similar tastes. That is the only Grado left that I want to hear. Congrats!!


yeah, it was a bucket list kinda thing for me too, i'd thought all along that it would be my holy grail, long term , never ever get rid of headphone,

IF i ever got one, the price was about the lowest i'd ever seen for a ps1000

then the x came along, and i just kept wanting to hear the ps1000, and the he-6, well heard the he-6 saturday, then boom, this today.

i kinda think it'll come down to a battle between the x and the ps1000, but we'll see, will be fun figuring it all out

post #14658 of 18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

The ps1000 , from the classified thread, im pretty stoked


the "flagship" of Grado line, so I hear...right on!

post #14659 of 18000

Congrats! looking forward to your impressions!

:L3000::popcorn:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 

i don't know yet, but something, or somethingS will have to go,

if i keep the lcd x, and the ps1000,

if the ps1000 tops the lcd x, it may go, we'll just see how it pans out

i could see keeping the x, and the gs, and the rs, but, that may all change ! lol

stay tuned guys

post #14660 of 18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

The ps1000 , from the classified thread, im pretty stoked

Awesome!

Can't wait for your comparison of the PS1K vs the LCD X

Welcome to the PS1000 Owners' club wink.gif
post #14661 of 18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


yeah, it was a bucket list kinda thing for me too, i'd thought all along that it would be my holy grail, long term , never ever get rid of headphone,

IF i ever got one, the price was about the lowest i'd ever seen for a ps1000

then the x came along, and i just kept wanting to hear the ps1000, and the he-6, well heard the he-6 saturday, then boom, this today.

i kinda think it'll come down to a battle between the x and the ps1000, but we'll see, will be fun figuring it all out

:popcorn:

post #14662 of 18000

Can't wait to hear what you think about 'em, Jay!! I'll be living vicariously through your headphone purchases once again :P. 

 

Btw, just a quick note: I got to really hear some Grados for the very first time this weekend at the Nashville meet, and I can now honestly say that I'm a Grado fan. Of all the models I got a chance to hear, the one I found most impressive was the GS1000 (thanks Oteil!!). It had an incredibly open, immersive sound, and an addictively forward presentation that I really liked a lot. And everyone has been right all this time: it's like they were made for listening to metal music, especially guitars. Going to be hard to keep myself away from a pair if/when they show up used, lol!

 

One question, though: I've started reading the 'Grados go magnum' thread, but I've not had time to get very far into it yet. What is the general consensus on the magnums? I've heard some people say they're top-tier and as good or better than any stock Grados (and have compared them with the HD800, et al), and some people seem to think they're just really good, but ultimately not best-in-class, Grado-style headphones. Any thoughts on this you guys would like to share? 

post #14663 of 18000

Grado & Kyuss in the morning.  Perfect!

 

post #14664 of 18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post
 

Can't wait to hear what you think about 'em, Jay!! I'll be living vicariously through your headphone purchases once again :P. 

 

Btw, just a quick note: I got to really hear some Grados for the very first time this weekend at the Nashville meet, and I can now honestly say that I'm a Grado fan. Of all the models I got a chance to hear, the one I found most impressive was the GS1000 (thanks Oteil!!). It had an incredibly open, immersive sound, and an addictively forward presentation that I really liked a lot. And everyone has been right all this time: it's like they were made for listening to metal music, especially guitars. Going to be hard to keep myself away from a pair if/when they show up used, lol!

 

One question, though: I've started reading the 'Grados go magnum' thread, but I've not had time to get very far into it yet. What is the general consensus on the magnums? I've heard some people say they're top-tier and as good or better than any stock Grados (and have compared them with the HD800, et al), and some people seem to think they're just really good, but ultimately not best-in-class, Grado-style headphones. Any thoughts on this you guys would like to share? 

 

I really enjoy the Magnum X. Sadly I have yet to try any of their earlier variations, but they definitely trump the lower tier Grados (the SR series) in a lot of ways when implemented correctly. I am not sure they are the be-all, end-all...but I will say, out of all my Grado wanderings and experiments, I have kept coming back to them since I first got a pair (three, maybe four years ago now I think...)

post #14665 of 18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post
 

Can't wait to hear what you think about 'em, Jay!! I'll be living vicariously through your headphone purchases once again :P. 

 

Btw, just a quick note: I got to really hear some Grados for the very first time this weekend at the Nashville meet, and I can now honestly say that I'm a Grado fan. Of all the models I got a chance to hear, the one I found most impressive was the GS1000 (thanks Oteil!!). It had an incredibly open, immersive sound, and an addictively forward presentation that I really liked a lot. And everyone has been right all this time: it's like they were made for listening to metal music, especially guitars. Going to be hard to keep myself away from a pair if/when they show up used, lol!

 

One question, though: I've started reading the 'Grados go magnum' thread, but I've not had time to get very far into it yet. What is the general consensus on the magnums? I've heard some people say they're top-tier and as good or better than any stock Grados (and have compared them with the HD800, et al), and some people seem to think they're just really good, but ultimately not best-in-class, Grado-style headphones. Any thoughts on this you guys would like to share? 

Did you also get to hear the PS1K?

By forward presentation referring too the GS…do you mean the mid-range? Thanks

post #14666 of 18000

 

....enjoying with Grado...

post #14667 of 18000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Did you also get to hear the PS1K?

By forward presentation referring too the GS…do you mean the mid-range? Thanks


there wasn't a ps1k there joseph

post #14668 of 18000

i have a tracking number !

post #14669 of 18000

So I've had my PS1K's since 4/23/14, which were a return to HeadRoom with 1 month of use on them, so they had some burn-in time when I received them. I know this because prior to purchasing the PS1K's from HeadRoom, I had purchased (new) PS1K's from Sonic Electronix, and I could tell the difference without a doubt from listening to the (new) ones right out of the box. By the time I received the pair from HeadRoom (I had both pairs at the same time), I would both had about the same amount of time on them from listening to each of them. When I first received the (new) PS1K's, I knew initially that I liked the the sound of them, even thought they had no burn-in, which they absolutely need, besides getting use to the sound signature also. At first the bass is not tight, its slightly boomy with little control, and drowns out pretty much everything else and can be annoying at times for the most part…the mid-range was congested, with not much clarity/detai, and the high frequencies as well as the soundstage/depth/separation had yet to open/shine, to say the least. Wanting to hear these headphones very much at/near/beyond their burn-in point, I gave them plenty of patience/time/dedication listening to them, (and still are) to be careful not to jump to any conclusions too quickly. Little by little the bass was getting tighter and tighter and much more controlled, the mid-range/highs started to open up and became/becoming more spacious/separated, with nice clarity/detail, and it became/becoming much easier to pick out the instrument separation. As more time went by the soundstage/depth increasingly became/becoming wider/deeper, with a black background. At a lot of points during listening to the PS1K's exclusively I had wanted to hear my RS1i's just to change it up for a night (which I promised myself I wouldn't do), but found I kept reaching for the PS1K's anyway when it came time to listen... so basically I couldn't take them off my head as they kept drawing me in more and more each night… and I still haven't listened to the RS1i's since. At this point, so far I can positively say that the PS1K's sound signature is beautifully balanced IMO as far as the low/mid/high frequencies are placed, and carries the Grado house sound, but in a much bigger scale than I've ever heard! To be honest, I had thought the PS1K were not going to suite my tastes, being I like the forward Grado house sound and the GS/PS differer from the Grado house sound (most would say…even I did at first) but not so much anymore as far as the PS1K's. To my surprise so far, these are one of the most enjoyable headphones I have ever listened too, and there only getting better and better, like all of my Grados did/do. I am very satisfied with their performance so far and very glad that I made the decision (because I wasn't going to) to try them out! I'm one happy PS1K owner at this point. A lot of people describe the RS1i as a refined Sr80i, which I would agree with... IMO the PS1K is heading toward a more refined RS1i at this point, but with their differences, of course. Please keep in mind that this is in no way a comparison to any other Grado/Alessandro I have owned/own… this is just my impression/opinion of the PS1K so far. Thanks.


Edited by joseph69 - 5/13/14 at 10:58am
post #14670 of 18000

enjoyed the write up joseph, i hope my feelings will be similar !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!