Well Joseph add this to your dac information database. I ordered a super fancy USB cable, gold plated, blessed by the pope and dabbed with at least 1/2 oz of holy water. I tried it this evening, first of all I did hear a difference which shocked me as I was one of those who didn't think USB cables would change much, but...I like the sound of my $6.99 Blue Jeans Special better. The odd thing is the levels seem to be higher (louder) with my original cable, which may account for why I think it sounds better, but nothing accounts for why it should be louder. Bass seems tighter and transients a lot snappier with my cheapo cable. I think I am done with cable upgrades for a while. Spend a couple hundred dollars on 10 cables just to find that one magic bullet...no thanks. But..now I have one heck of a printer cable..gold plated, blessed by the pope...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 1/3/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- productGrado iGrado Blacktagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado RS1i Reference Series Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 3/9/11
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13More
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question For All "GradoHolics" Last post on 7/20/12 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- How bright are Grados? Last post on 9/23/14 at 7:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Newbies first (and second) Proper Headphone Demo Last post on 11/1/13 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
AK120II and Pono player combined review
EarTech Music have you ever heard of them or Ear Technology Corporation well me neither. This review is for EarTech Music Dual driver custom in ear monitor. I ran upon this company one day while I...
Grado Fan Club! - Page 966
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I took a class about psychoacoustics earlier this year, and it is fascinating how our mind can fool us! For example, there have been studies with professional wine tasters: they couldn't tell the difference between white and red wines. They could tell they were different, but they couldn't indicate with any higher accuracy than the average person which was which. Even with high-end cables, many people can tell differences, but couldn't say which they really liked more. Interesting stuff.
And concerning the comment about waiting for burn-in time, I have had my SR325is, and I feel they are still burning in a bit. Might be my ears getting adjusted, but I played around with EQ some, and it seems they are getting a little less hard/harsh in the treble. These are deff cans for the long haul though!
IME burn-in is all in the brain.
Just saying, I learned my lesson but as with all things, I had to do it myself, just once. No so sure about the burn in thing, I can listen to my Senns for an hour and I still think my RS2i sound better as soon as I put them on..<G>
I'm listening to my Sony-801ES > Bitfrost Uber > WA6…using the (optical input), when I press play/skip or when the Cd is changing tracks my Bitfrost is clicking/chattering erratically and loudly until the music starts. If I pause the music the Bitfrost continuously clicks/chatters erratically, until I press play/stop..this can't be right has anyone experienced this??? this clicking/chattering is only coming from the Bitfrost, I do not hear it through the headphones or while the Cd is playing.
Edited by joseph69 - 5/5/14 at 8:40pm
If you want to experience burn-in, listen to your music for 10 mins with no EQ then repeat with the treble boosted 10dB. It will be uncomfortable at first but gradually the effect will lesson (although it may never sound good). Now return to flat EQ and repeat the same 10 minutes of music and you'll immediately notice how muffled your music sounds. By the time 10 mins is up it will sound normal again.
IME burn-in is all in the brain.
IME, with all my Grados they needed burn-in, especially the RS1i's/PS1000i's without a doubt. They need to open up and tighten up to put simple. I do agree with having to get use too the differences in sound from different models though.
Edited by joseph69 - 5/5/14 at 8:16pm
I'm listening to my Sony-801ES > Bitfrost Uber > WA6…using the (optical output), when I press play/skip or when the Cd is changing tracks my Bitfrost is clicking/chattering erratically and loudly until the music starts. If I pause the music the Bitfrost continuously clicks/chatters erratically, until I press play/stop..this can't be right has anyone experienced this??? this clicking/chattering is only coming from the Bitfrost, I do not hear it through the headphones or while the Cd is playing.
So you've experienced this with the optical only, but with the USB it doesn't do this?
And I didn't order mine with the USB, because I prefer the optical.
It actually sounds like a relay is chattering while the laser in the Cd player is reading the track. I don't see why this should happen while its on pause though.
It says something about it on the schiit website
OK, thanks for the info, I read the site about the Bitfrost, but I don't remember reading about this, I'm going to read it again. Tell you the truth I'm not too happy with this noise…especially when the Cd is paused because it is constant!
It's the mute relays. They do that. I wouldn't be concerned about it (I think they reference it in the FAQs), but the USB doesn't do that because the pausing/muting is handled differently, if I remember right.
Yeah I just read it in the (FAQ's), and it is normal, but it doesn't state it only does it with the optical input…they state it as doing it no matter what input. You and Jaywillin both have said it doesn't do it with the USB, but Schiit doesn't tell you that! If I would have known this (I didn't read the FAQ), I would have ordered the USB upgrade, and there goes another $150.00 just too get rid of that annoying clicking, especially while the CD player is on pause when it is constant. Tomorrow I need to hear if it does the same thing with my MBP as the music source. I'm really not thrilled with this, especially switching over too the USB for the $150.00 just too get rid of the clicking…its almost like a gimmick IMO. I'll see what happens…I'm almost considering returning it and trying the Peachtree DAC-itx I'm so aggravated. Thank you for the info also, I appreciate it.
Edited by joseph69 - 5/5/14 at 9:33pm
- Grado Fan Club!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 34 seconds ago
- › Icon Audio HP8 mkII trade for Audio Woo 6. Only EU. 1 minute ago
- › Headphones For Music, Gaming & Films [Anything Better Than My DT990... 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro VS Chord HUGO 1 minute ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . . . . dap FW... 2 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.6.0 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 6 minutes ago
- › What effect does damping factor have on distortion? 6 minutes ago
- › What are 3 additions to the FW of the DX50 or DX90 that you would... 7 minutes ago
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3