Well Joseph add this to your dac information database. I ordered a super fancy USB cable, gold plated, blessed by the pope and dabbed with at least 1/2 oz of holy water. I tried it this evening, first of all I did hear a difference which shocked me as I was one of those who didn't think USB cables would change much, but...I like the sound of my $6.99 Blue Jeans Special better. The odd thing is the levels seem to be higher (louder) with my original cable, which may account for why I think it sounds better, but nothing accounts for why it should be louder. Bass seems tighter and transients a lot snappier with my cheapo cable. I think I am done with cable upgrades for a while. Spend a couple hundred dollars on 10 cables just to find that one magic bullet...no thanks. But..now I have one heck of a printer cable..gold plated, blessed by the pope...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 1/3/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- productGrado iGrado Blacktagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado RS1i Reference Series Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 3/9/11
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13More
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question For All "GradoHolics" Last post on 7/20/12 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- How bright are Grados? Last post on 7/20/13 at 3:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Newbies first (and second) Proper Headphone Demo Last post on 11/1/13 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grados Questions Last post on 12/20/12 at 11:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
Hi All, I have done a video review of Hifiman HM901. Thanks for watching :)
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
- Grado Modification Overview
Grado Fan Club! - Page 966
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I took a class about psychoacoustics earlier this year, and it is fascinating how our mind can fool us! For example, there have been studies with professional wine tasters: they couldn't tell the difference between white and red wines. They could tell they were different, but they couldn't indicate with any higher accuracy than the average person which was which. Even with high-end cables, many people can tell differences, but couldn't say which they really liked more. Interesting stuff.
And concerning the comment about waiting for burn-in time, I have had my SR325is, and I feel they are still burning in a bit. Might be my ears getting adjusted, but I played around with EQ some, and it seems they are getting a little less hard/harsh in the treble. These are deff cans for the long haul though!
IME burn-in is all in the brain.
Just saying, I learned my lesson but as with all things, I had to do it myself, just once. No so sure about the burn in thing, I can listen to my Senns for an hour and I still think my RS2i sound better as soon as I put them on..<G>
I'm listening to my Sony-801ES > Bitfrost Uber > WA6…using the (optical input), when I press play/skip or when the Cd is changing tracks my Bitfrost is clicking/chattering erratically and loudly until the music starts. If I pause the music the Bitfrost continuously clicks/chatters erratically, until I press play/stop..this can't be right has anyone experienced this??? this clicking/chattering is only coming from the Bitfrost, I do not hear it through the headphones or while the Cd is playing.
Edited by joseph69 - 5/5/14 at 8:40pm
If you want to experience burn-in, listen to your music for 10 mins with no EQ then repeat with the treble boosted 10dB. It will be uncomfortable at first but gradually the effect will lesson (although it may never sound good). Now return to flat EQ and repeat the same 10 minutes of music and you'll immediately notice how muffled your music sounds. By the time 10 mins is up it will sound normal again.
IME burn-in is all in the brain.
IME, with all my Grados they needed burn-in, especially the RS1i's/PS1000i's without a doubt. They need to open up and tighten up to put simple. I do agree with having to get use too the differences in sound from different models though.
Edited by joseph69 - 5/5/14 at 8:16pm
I'm listening to my Sony-801ES > Bitfrost Uber > WA6…using the (optical output), when I press play/skip or when the Cd is changing tracks my Bitfrost is clicking/chattering erratically and loudly until the music starts. If I pause the music the Bitfrost continuously clicks/chatters erratically, until I press play/stop..this can't be right has anyone experienced this??? this clicking/chattering is only coming from the Bitfrost, I do not hear it through the headphones or while the Cd is playing.
So you've experienced this with the optical only, but with the USB it doesn't do this?
And I didn't order mine with the USB, because I prefer the optical.
It actually sounds like a relay is chattering while the laser in the Cd player is reading the track. I don't see why this should happen while its on pause though.
It says something about it on the schiit website
OK, thanks for the info, I read the site about the Bitfrost, but I don't remember reading about this, I'm going to read it again. Tell you the truth I'm not too happy with this noise…especially when the Cd is paused because it is constant!
It's the mute relays. They do that. I wouldn't be concerned about it (I think they reference it in the FAQs), but the USB doesn't do that because the pausing/muting is handled differently, if I remember right.
Yeah I just read it in the (FAQ's), and it is normal, but it doesn't state it only does it with the optical input…they state it as doing it no matter what input. You and Jaywillin both have said it doesn't do it with the USB, but Schiit doesn't tell you that! If I would have known this (I didn't read the FAQ), I would have ordered the USB upgrade, and there goes another $150.00 just too get rid of that annoying clicking, especially while the CD player is on pause when it is constant. Tomorrow I need to hear if it does the same thing with my MBP as the music source. I'm really not thrilled with this, especially switching over too the USB for the $150.00 just too get rid of the clicking…its almost like a gimmick IMO. I'll see what happens…I'm almost considering returning it and trying the Peachtree DAC-itx I'm so aggravated. Thank you for the info also, I appreciate it.
Edited by joseph69 - 5/5/14 at 9:33pm
- Grado Fan Club!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 38 seconds ago
- › Bluedio R+ Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones with NFC and APT-X 46 seconds ago
- › Headphones fast and slow 56 seconds ago
- › Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0 1 minute ago
- › [Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone? 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 1 minute ago
- › For Sale: Fiio X3 barely used $100 shipped in CONUS only 2 minutes ago
- › Closed can with good sound stage 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Budget Review: LG QuadBeat (SE) vs MH1 vs UE200 3 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)