or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 966

post #14476 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr101 View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Whirlwind the Tempe AZ soundrooms are primarily McIntosh show rooms. As you know McIntosh amps are assemled in the USA much by hand with very much the same spirit adittude and pride as Grado. Their amps are built with the soul of the music as their name to fame was to build the sound system for the Grateful Dead. The legendary McIntosh sound just as we speak of a legendary Grado sound was founded on reproducing the music with the utmost integrity to the soul and way it was performed. Since most of the music at that time was made on the magnificent vintage tube amplifiers like the Marshalls. The McIntosh tube amps of course became their name to fame. This being said I spent most of my headphone time in the room that was full of vinyl with a ten thousand dollar turntable but mostly the phono preamp with probably 10 or 15 tubes in a row glowing with all the wonders of the legendary McIntosh amps. Back to your question on the grados. That was the room were I got to fully appreciate the pristine sound of the wood cups on the classical music to fully appreciate the rs1's or the pristine gs1000. I had come in mainly to give the sr325is a listen to see for myself if they were as bright as they were accused of. They were! What started it all is that on an equalizer at 63 years old I noticed how I had a tendency to crank up the treble and turn down the bass. I was playing with my new Samsung phone that has what basically is a hearing test called adaptive sound app. What I learned from it was that in fact I love bass, but clear crisp bass not the atrocious kind you get from beats headphones. And that the reason I crank the treble up was that it was that boomy horrible kind of bass that was drowning out my diminishing ability to hear the upper scale. So in my attention deficit way getting back to grados I learned that the sound that does it for me was the combination of wood cups and metal. In conclusion the ps1000 was it for me on that 80 grand McIntosh set up but in real life the ps500 would probably outdo my hearing or any set up I could ever put togeither in my lifetime. Being a Colorado mountain redneck hippie whatever that is that loves Alan Jackson and Dwight Yoakam as much as Neil Young Gratefuldead via Allman Brothers Freddie King southern boogie. The ps500 was it for me. I didn't find them dark at all but that could be the quality of the sound system. As I found out I crank the treble up because I do love a crisp sharp bass. My original thought was to get a pair of sr 325is and mod them with wood cups. But reading the specs on the drivers the cost would be so close that I would be better off just getting the ps500's. Now I really liked the comfort of the big over the ear G pads. The sound system was so extreme that I don't think I could truly evaluate the difference in ear pads. I know that I love my flats sound wise but my ears do get hot.
Well it's early getting time to grind some fresh coffee. GRADOS AND COFFEE IN THE MORNING BREWS AND TUNES IN THE AFTERNOON and Jaywillin picking us some tunes. My imagination went wild in those gorgeous sound rooms. It anabled me to imagine a Club where you walk in to fresh coffee being roasted in house in the front and a micro brewery in back a full selection of grados to choose from you would buy or furnish your own earpads. Each listening station booth would have a Pono music player on the table slide your membership card to pick your favorite 16bit192khz music just like you would in the 50's dinners on the table juke box. Ah! Dreaming is such fun!

sounds like a good idea for a business, a starbucks/brewhouse/music store

post #14477 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post

The BIFROST relay clicks whenever the datastream is interrupted, exactly as described in the faq on their website. Does it on SPDIF optical or coax.

Yes, I read it …but it doesn't state with what input it does it with like you are stating.

Anyway I'm over the fact that the mute relay makes noise while switching tracks, I was just in shock last night when this happened, and it sounded like someone was using a typewriter next to me. It bothers me that I can't pause my Cd player without the relay continuously going  nuts! Schiit should have have stated it as you did, because it doesn't do it with the USB input, and if I would have known this I would have ordered it with the USB option for my MBP. But anyway I'll live with it due to my 3hr initial listening impressions in clarity/crispness and the faster/tighter bass that I noticed compared too my 20+ year old Meridian 203. I'll probably sell the Meridian and install the USB upgrade anyway.

post #14478 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 
I'm almost considering returning it and trying the Peachtree DAC-itx I'm so aggravated. 

I've never heard any Schiit.  I have a DacIT (the original) and really like it.  No stupid noises.  (Why would you sell equipment with this "feature"?)  The Peachtree has a nice dreamy soundstage with optical/coax/usb.  If you get the itch, you'll be happy, IMHO.  Life is too short to put up with incompetence.

post #14479 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Yes, I read it …but it doesn't state with what input it does it with like you are stating.

Anyway I'm over the fact that the mute relay makes noise while switching tracks, I was just in shock last night when this happened, and it sounded like someone was using a typewriter next to me. It bothers me that I can't pause my Cd player without the relay continuously going  nuts! Schiit should have have stated it as you did, because it doesn't do it with the USB input, and if I would have known this I would have ordered it with the USB option for my MBP. But anyway I'll live with it due to my 3hr initial listening impressions in clarity/crispness and the faster/tighter bass that I noticed compared too my 20+ year old Meridian 203. I'll probably sell the Meridian and install the USB upgrade anyway.


the usb option is easy to install yourself, i did one

post #14480 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

I've never heard any Schiit.  I have a DacIT (the original) and really like it.  No stupid noises.  (Why would you sell equipment with this "feature"?)  The Peachtree has a nice dreamy soundstage with optical/coax/usb.  If you get the itch, you'll be happy, IMHO.  Life is too short to put up with incompetence.

I looked into this DAC before buying the Bitfrost…the dimensions in the ad on Amazon say it is 1x 1x 1", this can't be right, and Peachtrees site doesn't give the dimensions on the DACit. Can you please tell me the dimensions when you get a chance? thank you. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


the usb option is easy to install yourself, i did one

Yes, from what I understand it snaps in.

post #14481 of 27085
What is this "BITFROST" device?confused_face(1).gif
post #14482 of 27085

I personally love the 'click' of my Bifrost.  It tells me it's adjusting to the sample rate, and also tells me when Spotify isn't giving me 320.

post #14483 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

I've never heard any Schiit.  I have a DacIT (the original) and really like it.  No stupid noises.  (Why would you sell equipment with this "feature"?)  The Peachtree has a nice dreamy soundstage with optical/coax/usb.  If you get the itch, you'll be happy, IMHO.  Life is too short to put up with incompetence.


my wadia clicks when changing tracks, and its usb, doesn't bother me at all, now it doesn't click on mute, but anytime signal changes, it clicks

i've had the dacit too, it is very good, but i had a problem with it having drop outs when listening through jriver at anything over 16/44

and i never had that with the bifrost

post #14484 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

I personally love the 'click' of my Bifrost.  It tells me it's adjusting to the sample rate, and also tells me when Spotify isn't giving me 320.


yup, i fell the same about my wadia, it tells me its changing rates

post #14485 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I looked into this DAC before buying the Bitfrost…the dimensions in the ad on Amazon say it is 1x 1x 1", this can't be right, and Peachtrees site doesn't give the dimensions on the DACit. Can you please tell me the dimensions when you get a chance? thank you. 

 

Yes, from what I understand it snaps in.


more square than the bifrost,maybe a little taller, but not as wide, very solid , heavier than you'd expect

post #14486 of 27085

Since I only listen to 16/44, satellite radio (via the PT) and vinyl, I don't have to adjust to the clicking noise.  Do all DACs do this with lower and higher bit rates?

 

I'm old and old fashioned.  I just listen to music.  I don't generally use music as accompaniment to what I'm otherwise engaged in so I don't like being reminded of what my equipment is doing.  It's there to serve the music and me.  Silently.

 

@ Joseph:  My DacIT is 6.5" square and 2.5" tall.

post #14487 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

Since I only listen to 16/44, satellite radio (via the PT) and vinyl, I don't have to adjust to the clicking noise.  Do all DACs do this with lower and higher bit rates?

 

I'm old and old fashioned.  I just listen to music.  I don't generally use music as accompaniment to what I'm otherwise engaged in so I don't like being reminded of what my equipment is doing.  It's there to serve the music and me.  Silently.

 

@ Joseph:  My DacIT is 6.5" square and 2.5" tall.


no, i've had other dacs that didn't pop when changing, i'm not technically savvy enough to know why it some dacs  do, and some don't

the popping i've experienced only happens when changing sampling rates, not in between individual tracks, so for me, its not like it clicks all the time

post #14488 of 27085

Grado RS1i  so beautiful!!!

post #14489 of 27085

Wow.. this thread moves fast.  I don't recall any clicking on my Bifrost but then again, I used USB most of the time.  Eventhough I've sold it an moved on the the Rega DAC and the Naim DAC-V1 (both providing a richer and fuller sound), I hold the Bifrost in high regard.  Nice Schiit.

 

BTW.. picked up a FiiO X5 on Saturday and am mating with my RS1i's.  Quite a nice combo. Definitely my around the house/travel rig from now on.

post #14490 of 27085
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

Since I only listen to 16/44, satellite radio (via the PT) and vinyl, I don't have to adjust to the clicking noise.  Do all DACs do this with lower and higher bit rates?

 

I'm old and old fashioned.  I just listen to music.  I don't generally use music as accompaniment to what I'm otherwise engaged in so I don't like being reminded of what my equipment is doing.  It's there to serve the music and me.  Silently.

 

@ Joseph:  My DacIT is 6.5" square and 2.5" tall.


no, i've had other dacs that didn't pop when changing, i'm not technically savvy enough to know why it some dacs  do, and some don't

the popping i've experienced only happens when changing sampling rates, not in between individual tracks, so for me, its not like it clicks all the time

That's good that it doesn't click all the time.:smile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!