Just saying, I learned my lesson but as with all things, I had to do it myself, just once. No so sure about the burn in thing, I can listen to my Senns for an hour and I still think my RS2i sound better as soon as I put them on..<G>
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 1/3/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- productGrado iGrado Blacktagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado RS1i Reference Series Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 3/9/11
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13More
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question For All "GradoHolics" Last post on 7/20/12 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- How bright are Grados? Last post on 9/7/16 at 6:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Newbies first (and second) Proper Headphone Demo Last post on 11/1/13 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
-Introduction- The last encounter I had with Advanced Sound was a decent while ago, right around the release of their first IEM, the M4. That was their freshmen release, and...
All instruments come to live with pm1, crystal clear and smooth at the same time. Pm1 made my Sennheiser hd650 and Grado reference 1 sound harsh and incomplete. I had some time to listen to hd800...
The Fiil Diva headphone is probably one of the most intuitive headphones south of $200. They have features that make them almost 3-4 headphones in one, currently they can be had for about $129 on...
Recently My Noble 5 developed a rattle on the left side, so I sent them back to Noble, in return they upgraded me to the Dulce Bass, I've had these for 3 days now and let me tell you what a step up...
My first Head-Fi review. Pledged for these on Kickstarter this year. I own full range electrostatic speakers (Acoustat 3) and electret headphones (Audio Technica AT706). The Mitchell & Johnson...
Grado Fan Club! - Page 965
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm listening to my Sony-801ES > Bitfrost Uber > WA6…using the (optical input), when I press play/skip or when the Cd is changing tracks my Bitfrost is clicking/chattering erratically and loudly until the music starts. If I pause the music the Bitfrost continuously clicks/chatters erratically, until I press play/stop..this can't be right has anyone experienced this??? this clicking/chattering is only coming from the Bitfrost, I do not hear it through the headphones or while the Cd is playing.
Edited by joseph69 - 5/5/14 at 8:40pm
If you want to experience burn-in, listen to your music for 10 mins with no EQ then repeat with the treble boosted 10dB. It will be uncomfortable at first but gradually the effect will lesson (although it may never sound good). Now return to flat EQ and repeat the same 10 minutes of music and you'll immediately notice how muffled your music sounds. By the time 10 mins is up it will sound normal again.
IME burn-in is all in the brain.
IME, with all my Grados they needed burn-in, especially the RS1i's/PS1000i's without a doubt. They need to open up and tighten up to put simple. I do agree with having to get use too the differences in sound from different models though.
Edited by joseph69 - 5/5/14 at 8:16pm
I'm listening to my Sony-801ES > Bitfrost Uber > WA6…using the (optical output), when I press play/skip or when the Cd is changing tracks my Bitfrost is clicking/chattering erratically and loudly until the music starts. If I pause the music the Bitfrost continuously clicks/chatters erratically, until I press play/stop..this can't be right has anyone experienced this??? this clicking/chattering is only coming from the Bitfrost, I do not hear it through the headphones or while the Cd is playing.
So you've experienced this with the optical only, but with the USB it doesn't do this?
And I didn't order mine with the USB, because I prefer the optical.
It actually sounds like a relay is chattering while the laser in the Cd player is reading the track. I don't see why this should happen while its on pause though.
It says something about it on the schiit website
OK, thanks for the info, I read the site about the Bitfrost, but I don't remember reading about this, I'm going to read it again. Tell you the truth I'm not too happy with this noise…especially when the Cd is paused because it is constant!
It's the mute relays. They do that. I wouldn't be concerned about it (I think they reference it in the FAQs), but the USB doesn't do that because the pausing/muting is handled differently, if I remember right.
Yeah I just read it in the (FAQ's), and it is normal, but it doesn't state it only does it with the optical input…they state it as doing it no matter what input. You and Jaywillin both have said it doesn't do it with the USB, but Schiit doesn't tell you that! If I would have known this (I didn't read the FAQ), I would have ordered the USB upgrade, and there goes another $150.00 just too get rid of that annoying clicking, especially while the CD player is on pause when it is constant. Tomorrow I need to hear if it does the same thing with my MBP as the music source. I'm really not thrilled with this, especially switching over too the USB for the $150.00 just too get rid of the clicking…its almost like a gimmick IMO. I'll see what happens…I'm almost considering returning it and trying the Peachtree DAC-itx I'm so aggravated. Thank you for the info also, I appreciate it.
Edited by joseph69 - 5/5/14 at 9:33pm
I have had the chance before to compare "burned-in" headphones to brand new, or at newer in-store versions of the same headphone, and I usually hear at least a slight difference, though its not always huge. It's really big with the Grados though.
Also, I know it's a bit late to the party, but in terms of music, I found a newish artist called Nick Waterhouse who sounds really excellent on Grados! Check out his "Holly" album. Really cool mix of blues, little jazz, some funk, and rockabilly. Very vintage sound, and he does everything analog with old ribbon mics and stuff. Really awesome retro sound, bit like JD McPherson.
I retired from Colorado to Arizona so that my San Diego sweetheart could get out of the cold. I'd been looking all over for a place to listen to all the grados at once. I was checking out the McIntosh dealer for the new headphone amp here in the Phoenix AZ valley and OMG!!! They are an authorized grado dealer. They have the full grado line up in there audition rooms. I got to listen to everything from the sr60i to the ps1000 via the rs1 rs2i gs1000 on an 80 grand McIntosh set up with 10 grand turntable Amy Grand sounded out of this world. Tube preamps with rows of tubes, burrbrown chips with no gitter a every thing a Grado fan dreams of. PURE NIRVANA OF SOUND. One major check off my bucket list. All the grados in one sitting multiplied by the best amps. I'm not associated with them in any way but I highly recommend stopping by their Tempe or Scottsdale AZ store and make an appointment for a listen to Grado heaven.
You are a very lucky man.
What did you like best ?
I got chilled, when you said rows of tubes
- Grado Fan Club!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo in Mint Condition 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 8 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 9 minutes ago
- › Under $30 ear buds or headphones to use with my smartphone. 10 minutes ago
- › Jomo Audio Jomo4 by Zelda
- › Advanced Sound by Cinder
- › OPPO PM-1 by Sam 88
- › Fiil Diva Bluetooth, Noise Cancelling Headphones by Tom22
- › Noble Audio Dulce Bass UIEM by darober2
- › Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz (GL2) Kickstarter Edition -... by barondla
- › 3.14 MR3 Music Headphones, BA Balanced Armature Headphones with 3... by Brooko
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...