Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 963

post #14431 of 17153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi.

I knew the soundtrack before i knew the film, but both left me very impressed. (To an emotional level)

I know it's not jazz, but there's more than enough brass in there wink.gif

Glass' soundtrack to the Errol Morris film 'The Thin Blue Line' really wove a haunting tone through the whole thing.
post #14432 of 17153

Hi guys. What is actually the difference between these models(Grado SR60i, SR80i, Grado SR125i)? Characteristic is the same.

post #14433 of 17153

The drivers are all different, and so is the sound. Just look at:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/234/grado-shootout-sr60-vs-sr80-vs-sr125-vs-sr225-vs-sr325-vs-rs-2

post #14434 of 17153
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilders View Post
 

Hi guys. What is actually the difference between these models(Grado SR60i, SR80i, Grado SR125i)? Characteristic is the same.

 

This is what I've been able to work out over the years:

 

  1. The drivers all share the same basic design (right up to the the RS1i), but they are sorted for quality (called 'binning' in manufacturing terms) and are more closely matched as you go up the product line. The best, most closely match drivers end up in RS1is, next best in RS2is, and so-on.
  2. Various models also have the diaphragm treated to tweak the sound (Grado call this 'de-stressing') and it probably involves coating the diaphragm with some substance to vary its surface properties somehow (e.g. to stiffen it). I think this is a pretty common technique for headphone manufacturers to improve/tweak their drivers - I suspect Sennheiser did something similar to the HD600 driver to produce the HD650.
  3. The higher end models also have some rubber/tar-like compound bonded to the rear of the magnet plate to mass-load the driver, which improves the bass (you can do this yourself - search for 'blue-tak mod').
  4. Better cables/voice-coil wiring as you progress through the models.
  5. Higher models have better air-flow through the rear earcup screens, which improves soundstage.
  6. And last, but not least, we have the different earcup enclosure materials - plastic, aluminium, wood - which may/may not flavour the sound.

 

The basic sound is essentially the same between all the models (ignoring the PS500/GS1000i/PS1000, which have further modification to increase the bass) but they do all sound different. Sometimes the difference is pretty subtle, but it's there.

 

What's great is that you can buy an SR80i and have an amazing headphone for relatively little money. If you like the sound, you can buy one of the higher up models and know you're going to get something that has the same basic signature but sounds better (and with a more luxurious build, of course)

post #14435 of 17153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePianoMan View Post

beerchug.gif

I went back and listened to some of my John Adams (gran pianola music) and Steve Reich (music for 18 musicians) after that comment!  Man I love all this music (I haven't yet seen all of Koyaanisqatsi yet, but I really love what I have seen so far, and the music is so excellent)  I find minimalism to be really powerful, emotionally speaking.

Reminder to self to find these albums. If they're anything like Koyaanisqatsi i'm sure i'll enjoy myself with them smily_headphones1.gif
post #14436 of 17153

A good Sunday morning to everyone.

 

post #14437 of 17153

oh i do love some dire straits !! a threefer !

 

 

 

post #14438 of 17153

^^ +1 ^^

 

Going to watch now!

post #14439 of 17153

mark knopfler at royal albery hall, nice sound !

 

post #14440 of 17153

i know a lot of you are fans of Joe, but this is exactly how not to do a Tom Waits cover.

post #14441 of 17153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post
 

i know a lot of you are fans of Joe, but this is exactly how not to do a Tom Waits cover.


I actually love this version of Jockey Full Of Bourbon....Joe does many versions....this is one of my favs, personally  :D

post #14442 of 17153

it just lacks the swing, over-produced and the melody drives me crazy. Sounds like a "lawyer blues" band at an open mic night. It just doesn't pay tribute to the original at all, and it doesn't sound like anything Tom would even listen to.

post #14443 of 17153

not the same song, but this is how you do Tom Waits covers, in my opinion of course...still true to the original but still adding your own touch without watering it down.

 

 

one of my favorite covers..i could listen to this all day

 

post #14444 of 17153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post
 

it just lacks the swing, over-produced and the melody drives me crazy. Sounds like a "lawyer blues" band at an open mic night. It just doesn't pay tribute to the original at all, and it doesn't sound like anything Tom would even listen to.


Well, maybe Tom would not listen to it....I do not know and no there is not a small man with a hellish voice singing it, and I mean that as a compliment and not a negative.  I love Tom Waits.

 

That being said, I really think that anytime somebody does a cover of somebody's song, that in itself is paying tribute to that artist, most definitely.

post #14445 of 17153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnottj View Post
 

 

This is what I've been able to work out over the years:

 

  1. The drivers all share the same basic design (right up to the the RS1i), but they are sorted for quality (called 'binning' in manufacturing terms) and are more closely matched as you go up the product line. The best, most closely match drivers end up in RS1is, next best in RS2is, and so-on.
  2. Various models also have the diaphragm treated to tweak the sound (Grado call this 'de-stressing') and it probably involves coating the diaphragm with some substance to vary its surface properties somehow (e.g. to stiffen it). I think this is a pretty common technique for headphone manufacturers to improve/tweak their drivers - I suspect Sennheiser did something similar to the HD600 driver to produce the HD650.
  3. The higher end models also have some rubber/tar-like compound bonded to the rear of the magnet plate to mass-load the driver, which improves the bass (you can do this yourself - search for 'blue-tak mod').
  4. Better cables/voice-coil wiring as you progress through the models.
  5. Higher models have better air-flow through the rear earcup screens, which improves soundstage.
  6. And last, but not least, we have the different earcup enclosure materials - plastic, aluminium, wood - which may/may not flavour the sound.

 

The basic sound is essentially the same between all the models (ignoring the PS500/GS1000i/PS1000, which have further modification to increase the bass) but they do all sound different. Sometimes the difference is pretty subtle, but it's there.

 

What's great is that you can buy an SR80i and have an amazing headphone for relatively little money. If you like the sound, you can buy one of the higher up models and know you're going to get something that has the same basic signature but sounds better (and with a more luxurious build, of course)

 

I heard that some of the higher models have holes punched in the felt around the drivers (a common mod for some). Not sure which models though, and how many holes...ever seen that?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!