Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 961

post #14401 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post

Well let's make a game out of it:

Favorite jazz/Grado pairing and why.

Album: Milestones by Miles Davis

Grado: RS1i

Why: This quintet (sometimes sextet) is an all star cast and all of their subtle nuances are very easy to hear. Not to mention Philly Jo's multiple drum solos of course!

Milestones is brilliant...I really enjoy Miles in Tokyo with my Magnum X build...the recording is crystal clear and pristine, they do the detail in it beautifully...but it has Tony Williams on drums, not Philly Joe...

I love Eric Dolphy's Last Date on my SR80 pinks...they do everything right on that album...all the way to that last snippet, his quote on listening to music...
post #14402 of 21169

Boy you weren't kidding about all star cast...holy moly they threw everything but the kitchen sink at that album. I was reading the review that they have along with most every album they sell on half-price books and the reviewer said, "If you like this you should listen to this other album" "Straight, No chaser" by Thelonius Monk..I like Monk anyway so I ordered that one too. Review to follow once I get to listen.

post #14403 of 21169

One stupid non-jazz question. Do any of you use the Grado extention cable for your headphones. Grado says it doesn't degrade the sound at all but I was wanting some opinions of people who really use it. It would sure be handy for me if it works "As advertised" .

post #14404 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

One stupid non-jazz question. Do any of you use the Grado extention cable for your headphones. Grado says it doesn't degrade the sound at all but I was wanting some opinions of people who really use it. It would sure be handy for me if it works "As advertised" .

I've used mine a few times and never noticed any sort of degradation in SQ.

post #14405 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

One stupid non-jazz question. Do any of you use the Grado extention cable for your headphones. Grado says it doesn't degrade the sound at all but I was wanting some opinions of people who really use it. It would sure be handy for me if it works "As advertised" .
I use the extension with the lcd x for movies , no serious listening with music, but as best I can tell no significant effect to sq
post #14406 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

One stupid non-jazz question. Do any of you use the Grado extention cable for your headphones. Grado says it doesn't degrade the sound at all but I was wanting some opinions of people who really use it. It would sure be handy for me if it works "As advertised" .

As the distance between my couch(or kitchen) and my turntable is quite big, i use 2 of them.

Mind you, i'm not sure if my analogue setup is quite good enough to be able to tell the difference, but i can't.
post #14407 of 21169

My Grado extension is my 325is cord.  Fifteen feet direct.

post #14408 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

One stupid non-jazz question. Do any of you use the Grado extention cable for your headphones. Grado says it doesn't degrade the sound at all but I was wanting some opinions of people who really use it. It would sure be handy for me if it works "As advertised" .


Mine is always in use.....works as advertised

post #14409 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcans View Post

Hey PianoMan, for modern jazz tinklers I like Eliane Elias playing Bill Evans and Diana Krall playing everybody. Of course there's Erroll Garner's "Concert by the Sea" album and just about all of Keith Jarretts live recordings. I say if you learn to play "My Foolish Heart" convincingly, not necessarily technically well but convincingly, you'll have earned your advanced music degree, with honours. Isn't it great that we all can agree that listening to and enjoying music is a good thing?

Yeah, agreed! The tempo on that piece is so difficult to get just right. I think Bill Evans' is my favorite, and Keith Jarrett is a close second.
Keith Jarrett's Koln concert is one of my all time favorite recordings. The finale he plays is just stunning, and the left hand part is very difficult to sustain for as long as he does. I've actually had some discussions with my teachers about various recordings and styles and they have some interesting things to say. For example, at my school a lot of the other jazz majors listen to tons of bebop (miles, Coltrane, Joe Henderson, etc.) but not as much Diana Krall. Some of my friends and I have been playing a bit of it to stretch the horizons, and it's super refreshing! (I study Jazz piano, classical and jazz singing, and I play French horn and some trumpet)

There's a pretty cool jazz-ish album I found a while back in the soundtrack to Cowboy Bebop. It's a bit intense but man does it swing!
I also really dig Herbie Hancock's "takin' off" album from 1962.
(My teachers always tell me I need to start listening to more Bebop and "knock it off with the popular crap""
XD

And to whoever mentioned us all being able to enjoy the music, amen to that! Most of my musician friends are into audio stuff too (heck I know over a dozen grado owners!) and we all love em. It's so cool to have grado listening parties (we have every model from the sr60i up to the sr325is)
Sorry for the rambly post, I just love the music!
^_^
post #14410 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePianoMan View Post


Yeah, agreed! The tempo on that piece is so difficult to get just right. I think Bill Evans' is my favorite, and Keith Jarrett is a close second.
Keith Jarrett's Koln concert is one of my all time favorite recordings. The finale he plays is just stunning, and the left hand part is very difficult to sustain for as long as he does. I've actually had some discussions with my teachers about various recordings and styles and they have some interesting things to say. For example, at my school a lot of the other jazz majors listen to tons of bebop (miles, Coltrane, Joe Henderson, etc.) but not as much Diana Krall. Some of my friends and I have been playing a bit of it to stretch the horizons, and it's super refreshing! (I study Jazz piano, classical and jazz singing, and I play French horn and some trumpet)

There's a pretty cool jazz-ish album I found a while back in the soundtrack to Cowboy Bebop. It's a bit intense but man does it swing!
I also really dig Herbie Hancock's "takin' off" album from 1962.
(My teachers always tell me I need to start listening to more Bebop and "knock it off with the popular crap""
XD

And to whoever mentioned us all being able to enjoy the music, amen to that! Most of my musician friends are into audio stuff too (heck I know over a dozen grado owners!) and we all love em. It's so cool to have grado listening parties (we have every model from the sr60i up to the sr325is)
Sorry for the rambly post, I just love the music!
^_^


It is fine to ramble....it is all about enjoying the music.

post #14411 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

One stupid non-jazz question. Do any of you use the Grado extention cable for your headphones. Grado says it doesn't degrade the sound at all but I was wanting some opinions of people who really use it. It would sure be handy for me if it works "As advertised" .

I also use my extension from time to time and have no sound quality issues.

I've read that anything longer than 15' will start degrading sound quality…but I don't know this from any experience.

post #14412 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I also use my extension from time to time and have no sound quality issues.

I've read that anything longer than 15' will start degrading sound quality…but I don't know this from any experience.

 

I use mine extensively and never heard any difference.

post #14413 of 21169

 

PS500>Schiit Lyr>AudioDG 11.32>FLAC

 

I'm in a good place!

post #14414 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

One stupid non-jazz question. Do any of you use the Grado extention cable for your headphones. Grado says it doesn't degrade the sound at all but I was wanting some opinions of people who really use it. It would sure be handy for me if it works "As advertised" .

Use mine all the time, with all my cans and do not notice any difference in sound.

post #14415 of 21169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post

Use mine all the time, with all my cans and do not notice any difference in sound.

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!