Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 935

post #14011 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauliki View Post
 

I have a question regarding sr100. I just bought a pair and when I took foams off I saw that right drivers is moving when I push it. Left driver is glued on wrong angle (5 to 10 degrees - left part of the driver is lower, right is higher).

Could it be that Grado made them poorly? 

Is there a way to take drivers of and glue again without destroing cups?

 

if you made a considerable investment in these vintage cans, you could always have Grado do the work for you. You can shoot them an email, I suspect they won't charge you much.

post #14012 of 24942

Thanks, but I wouldn't like to send them to US if I have a choice. I would rather buy wood cups and put those drivers in. Cost would be the same. 

post #14013 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauliki View Post
 

Thanks, but I wouldn't like to send them to US if I have a choice. I would rather buy wood cups and put those drivers in. Cost would be the same. 

But I believe Grado will give you a more tidy work as it is after all, their product and they should know better IMO

post #14014 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by: BillsonChang007 View Post
 

But I believe Grado will give you a more tidy work as it is after all, their product and they should know better IMO

If they would do something strange like exchanging the drivers (ive heard that they have done something like that before) I would have to kill them :)

Ive send package to US few months ago and it's gone. More expensive options would cost too much to consider them.

 

Speaking of SR100 - nice headphones, better than SR60, but considering the price I have to say SR60 are great. Ive read here that HP black

star drivers need amps to really shine ( much more than other Grados ) . 

For me they sound more refined and soundstage is bigger. There is more bass (quality and quantity). 


Edited by Rauliki - 4/25/14 at 4:46am
post #14015 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauliki View Post

I have a question regarding sr100. I just bought a pair and when I took foams off I saw that right drivers is moving when I push it. Left driver is glued on wrong angle (5 to 10 degrees - left part of the driver is lower, right is higher).

Could it be that Grado made them poorly? 

Is there a way to take drivers of and glue again without destroing cups?




I believe i read somewhere that grado used to have the drivers at an angle, so i think that might be the case with these.

Taking the drivers out without causing damage might be possible, but you'd have to know what sort of glue has been used.

You can try and push them out from behind with a screwdriver on the plastic back of the drivers, but i'd be extremely careful.
post #14016 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauliki View Post
 

If they would do something strange like exchanging the drivers (ive heard that they have done something like that before) I would have to kill them :)

Ive send package to US few months ago and it's gone. More expensive options would cost too much to consider them.

 

Speaking of SR100 - nice headphones, better than SR60, but considering the price I have to say SR60 are great. Ive read here that HP black

star drivers need amps to really shine ( much more than other Grados ) . 

For me they sound more refined and soundstage is bigger. There is more bass (quality and quantity). 

 

Those black star drivers are incredibly rare and highly sought after. As I understand it, they are the same drivers that were used in the HP1000 headphones.

 

Keeping the SR100 stock and trying to maintain its vintage would be a priority for me. Carving up my 90's vintage SR80 pinks was one thing...carving up a pair of SR100 is definitely another. Definitely think about emailing Grado and asking them to specifically NOT exchange the drivers but help with the repair...IF they can do the work as it was done back when these were production models...

post #14017 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauliki View Post
 

If they would do something strange like exchanging the drivers (ive heard that they have done something like that before) I would have to kill them :)

Ive send package to US few months ago and it's gone. More expensive options would cost too much to consider them.

 

Speaking of SR100 - nice headphones, better than SR60, but considering the price I have to say SR60 are great. Ive read here that HP black

star drivers need amps to really shine ( much more than other Grados ) . 

For me they sound more refined and soundstage is bigger. There is more bass (quality and quantity). 

what package? @.@ was it from Grado?! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

 

Those black star drivers are incredibly rare and highly sought after. As I understand it, they are the same drivers that were used in the HP1000 headphones.

 

Keeping the SR100 stock and trying to maintain its vintage would be a priority for me. Carving up my 90's vintage SR80 pinks was one thing...carving up a pair of SR100 is definitely another. Definitely think about emailing Grado and asking them to specifically NOT exchange the drivers but help with the repair...IF they can do the work as it was done back when these were production models...

I agree. Grado has excellent after sales service. Been through it and very nice people there. 

 

Haha fleasbaby, I haven't sold my Grado yet T.T CAN'T LET IT GO!!! It's currently with my friend who is enjoying it... Did some mod and I fall in love with it all over again. the urge is strong... :(

post #14018 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post
 

what package? @.@ was it from Grado?! 

 

I agree. Grado has excellent after sales service. Been through it and very nice people there. 

 

Haha fleasbaby, I haven't sold my Grado yet T.T CAN'T LET IT GO!!! It's currently with my friend who is enjoying it... Did some mod and I fall in love with it all over again. the urge is strong... :(

 

Hehehehehe...you will not be letting them go....you are one of us now...forever. You might as well get you Grado logo tattoo this weekend and get it over with.

 

@Rauliki : on a related note, I see the package you sent me arrived at my local post office this morning. I am hoping to see it this afternoon or tomorrow :).

post #14019 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


I believe i read somewhere that grado used to have the drivers at an angle, so i think that might be the case with these.

Taking the drivers out without causing damage might be possible, but you'd have to know what sort of glue has been used.

You can try and push them out from behind with a screwdriver on the plastic back of the drivers, but i'd be extremely careful.


Only one, right driver is at an angle. I'm not sure how the left driver was, because it's seems it's been a bit loose.

I'm not sure about the glue, maybe that is hot glue? I never seen it old so I'm only guessing.

Thanks

post #14020 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

Hehehehehe...you will not be letting them go....you are one of us now...forever. You might as well get you Grado logo tattoo this weekend and get it over with.

@Rauliki
: on a related note, I see the package you sent me arrived at my local post office this morning. I am hoping to see it this afternoon or tomorrow smily_headphones1.gif.

My friends were like "let it to! Let it go!" So that he can buy and own it :/ but gerhhhhhhhh the urge!!!
post #14021 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

 

Those black star drivers are incredibly rare and highly sought after. As I understand it, they are the same drivers that were used in the HP1000 headphones.

 

Keeping the SR100 stock and trying to maintain its vintage would be a priority for me. Carving up my 90's vintage SR80 pinks was one thing...carving up a pair of SR100 is definitely another. Definitely think about emailing Grado and asking them to specifically NOT exchange the drivers but help with the repair...IF they can do the work as it was done back when these were production models...


I know, I was looking for 8 months, trying to get them on the ebay, being so close to buy them and was outbid or seller took the auction off.

Seller wrote that he bought them in 1997 (but were those still available by then? I thought as they were replaced by SR125 in 1993).

 

I think I will pass for now. I want to have fun with them a little.

 

I understand ppl writing that headband is uncomfortable - it's so much more true on SR100. I get accustomed to the one on SR60, but this is bad :)


Edited by Rauliki - 4/25/14 at 6:46am
post #14022 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post
 

what package? @.@ was it from Grado?! 

I was returning something bought on ebay. It wasn't Grado related :)

I just pointed unreliability of post.

post #14023 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauliki View Post

I was returning something bought on ebay. It wasn't Grado related smily_headphones1.gif
I just pointed unreliability of post.

Phew! thanks for the clarify! xD
post #14024 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


My friends were like "let it to! Let it go!" So that he can buy and own it :/ but gerhhhhhhhh the urge!!!

 

Sure...let the headphones go...and use the money to get a pair of SR225i instead :veryevil:

post #14025 of 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

Sure...let the headphones go...and use the money to get a pair of SR225i instead very_evil_smiley.gif

You sure you don't work for Grado? xP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!