Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 828

post #12406 of 26110
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

I was listening to some Jazz last night with my HD580's and brought over my 225i just for a quick listen, and the treble gave me a headache in about 5 mins. I was using them on my Headroom amp, which is a warmish sounding amp but still, Grado's just don't tolerate certain amps and music very well at all. I think the treble on the 225 bother me more than on my 325, probably because the extra bass on the 325 evens everything up. Going to be selling the 225i for sure and maybe both. I really don't need 5 sets of headphones.

Yeah I think going straight from the HD580 to a 225 would take quite a bit of adjustment time as they are very contrasting. I love Jazz with Grado's, they put you in the middle of the band and the feel/impact of the instruments is ideal. But certain aspects of the freqs can get annoying. Especially with older harder recordings (classics). I'm finding my Foobar EQ (latest version with 31 bars) is becoming my best friend! As little as 2db down at the treble peaks can make them much more tolerable for Miles and Coltrane :)

 

The 225i are such a great Grado, maybe you should just try a little EQ to suit your personal tastes. It works for me!

post #12407 of 26110

Grado RS1i is my first headphone i had listened  to ,very impressive:smile_phones:

post #12408 of 26110
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceye2072 View Post
 

Grado RS1i is my first headphone i had listened  to ,very impressive:smile_phones:


Wow.....you are going to get spoiled  :p 

post #12409 of 26110
I do own the 80 and 325i. Well I do agree that especially the 325i is bright on the high side. However they must be well burn in and that should reduce that. The other issue may be the quality of the source, I mean cd, which I ripped out to wav file. It is extremely important.

Now I got the new RS1i, and that is really really very good. I tested when I first bought it and high is bright. However, I let it burn in around 100 hours and now the high smooth and clear and well control.
post #12410 of 26110
BTW, when I listen to music, I never use EQ at all.
post #12411 of 26110

Congrats on the RS1i. It really is a beautiful headphone.  I tried to play around with EQ for about a month and finally gave up on it.

post #12412 of 26110

Yeah I was against EQ for many years, it wasn't until I'd had enough of my K701's upper mids that I decided to have a play around. Long story short after many trials and errors I now keep the mentality that 'less is more'. And a few fine tweaks can go a long way. (and save you a fortune in amp rolling). 

 

I have the same problem with Grado's as I had with the AKG's. And this is the upper mid region. The graphs back it up too. The 2k mark is emphasized on most Grado's as well. This can make some instruments sound a little too aggressive for me.

 

Must stress that this is my problem ;)

 

Some make the mistake when EQ'ing, of lowering the whole treble area if a headphone is bright. This can do a lot more damage than good because you will be lowering certain frequencies that are already very low. A good way to do it is to have the headroom freq graph handy. Then you can then quite accurately pinpoint the peaks and not touch the areas that don't need it. The bass is a lot easier to add if needed as this is much more of a straight/curve. Just make sure that you don't exaggerate the sub bass as you will end up with lots of mud. Start rolling it off at about 50hz. 

 

But remember, less is more! 2 db should be all it takes and only 3 if you want to get crazy!!

 

After all, you aren't EQing to change the sound of a headphone. You either like it or you don't... But if you can near it to your own personal perfection then it can only be a good thing :)


Edited by LugBug1 - 2/25/14 at 7:05am
post #12413 of 26110

Totally agree.. yes, I did have the Headroom graphs and kept EQ max 3 db.  Maybe I'm lucky that the Naim smooths things out and I don't find any harshness/peaks with the HD800 and the RS1i is pretty smooth across the range. With my setup, my preference is no EQ.  Really happy with the SQ.  YMMV

post #12414 of 26110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

Totally agree.. yes, I did have the Headroom graphs and kept EQ max 3 db.  Maybe I'm lucky that the Naim smooths things out and I don't find any harshness/peaks with the HD800 and the RS1i is pretty smooth across the range. With my setup, my preference is no EQ.  Really happy with the SQ.  YMMV


I have come to the conclusion that I REALLY need to get some RS1i Grado's. I made the near fatal mistake of listening to some on a friends system and now I can't help but compare the ones I have to them and, as you say, find the utter smoothness from bottom to top of the RS1i to be unmatched by any other Grado I have ever heard. My wallet, or bank account in this case, is really gonna hate me by the end of this year. I retire next year so I gotta get it while I can :)

post #12415 of 26110

Hi. So instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd post here.

 

I'm looking into getting either the PS-500s, or the RS2i. The easy question is; which is better? I've lurked much here for a long time, and I know the usual answer is "what type of music do you listen to, yada yada" but that's irrelevant. Either will sound great with any music. I'm a violinist, and I listen to alot of classical. I also listen to alot of modern stuff; indie, pop, hell I've listened to lady gaga once I think. Accuracy isn't so important. Soundstage is. 

 

From what I can tell, the PS500s are probably better, but mostly because the RS2is are uncomfortable? I have the SR80is right now, and I'm fine wearing them for a couple hours. So if something is uncomfortable for 5+ hours, I mean really; what are you doing with your life that you don't move in a chair for 5 hours? That's also irrelevant, but I would like feedback on how comfortable either would be compared to the SR80s.

 

Anyways, I know a few of you have listened to both, and maybe (hopefully) even back to back. I know I can't go wrong, but I'd like to hear if someone has an opinion one way or the other.

post #12416 of 26110
As far as comfort goes the ps500 and rs2 are the same I find. Which is also the same as the sr80. The RS2 may be bit more comfortable because I believe it is a bit lighter than the ps500.

I wasn't a huge fan of the ps500, it's cool but there are other headphones that do the bass heavy, recessed mids sound better like the DT990 or X1. The pS500 sounds a bit "messy" and conjested and is not really a grado when it comes to its sound signature.

Neither the RS2 or PS500 will give you a wide soundstage although that can be improved by switching to G cushions. But that has its drawbacks too.

I would recommend the RS2 or the RS1 if you can swing it. I'd also consider the 325is over the ps500.

If you must have a wide soundstage the GS1000 and PS1000 are your best options unless you like the sound of other grados with the G pads. I guess it's cheaper to try the pad options first though smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by bassboysam - 2/26/14 at 3:15am
post #12417 of 26110

So you'd say the mids of the PS500 are recessed? That's certainly helpful, and also saves me money. I do need bass, but anything more than the SR80 has is going to be nice. Which includes every headphone ever. Sounds like the RS2i is probably what I want. Also didn't realize the PS500s are actually heavier, I'd have thought they were lighter. Thanks.

post #12418 of 26110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porteroso View Post

So you'd say the mids of the PS500 are recessed? That's certainly helpful, and also saves me money. I do need bass, but anything more than the SR80 has is going to be nice. Which includes every headphone ever. Sounds like the RS2i is probably what I want. Also didn't realize the PS500s are actually heavier, I'd have thought they were lighter. Thanks.

Well the mids sound recessed because the mid bass and treble are more prominent. As far as amount of bass goes both will have more than the sr80.
post #12419 of 26110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porteroso View Post
 

Hi. So instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd post here.

 

I'm looking into getting either the PS-500s, or the RS2i. The easy question is; which is better? I've lurked much here for a long time, and I know the usual answer is "what type of music do you listen to, yada yada" but that's irrelevant. Either will sound great with any music. I'm a violinist, and I listen to alot of classical. I also listen to alot of modern stuff; indie, pop, hell I've listened to lady gaga once I think. Accuracy isn't so important. Soundstage is. 

 

From what I can tell, the PS500s are probably better, but mostly because the RS2is are uncomfortable? I have the SR80is right now, and I'm fine wearing them for a couple hours. So if something is uncomfortable for 5+ hours, I mean really; what are you doing with your life that you don't move in a chair for 5 hours? That's also irrelevant, but I would like feedback on how comfortable either would be compared to the SR80s.

 

Anyways, I know a few of you have listened to both, and maybe (hopefully) even back to back. I know I can't go wrong, but I'd like to hear if someone has an opinion one way or the other.

In general the PS500 is a little darker in signature than the RS line. More bass, a touch less treble. 

 

The 325 may be one for you to seriously consider. To me its like an SR80 on steroids. Better bass, more extended treble, better soundstage. 

 

If you want to do it right, just order them both from Crutchfield and use their excellent return policy to send the one you don't like back.

post #12420 of 26110

Just missed a deal on a pair of rs1i's for $500, I ended buying a pair of PS500's for $500. Do you guys think I'll be happy? Does anyone have any really good tips to increasing comfort? I read about stacking g-cush's over the yellow sennheiser pads, but I dunno. It also seems like some people like the g-cush sound with the PS500's, but is it the majority? I may even buy some computer glasses that are very slim profile so they don't hurt my ears as much, if it still is an issue..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!