Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 808

post #12106 of 17433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post


Edit - since they came with the adaptor, trying it out of my iPhone5 right now.  Sweet! Much better, even out of the box than the PS500 well broken in. The treble peaks are there but if they smooth out, nailed it!

Cool! Glad you like them so far.

As for the peaks, also consider your sources. I just got a Schiit Bifrost DAC which warmed up the sound and tamed the treble a bit. All good things!
post #12107 of 17433
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

It's no secret that pads swapping is a cheap and easy way to significantly change the sound of Grado headphones. Personnally, I have the stock earpads on my GS and PS1000, I have TTVJ flats on my HP1000, and SR80i, and I think that the Bushmills X sound simply amazing with the L-cush.

 

I don't know why Grado even bothers with the comfies, because it seems that almost everybody that swaps them, ends up preferring the G, L, or flats. Maybe the comfies are cheaper to produce, and if that's the case, I'm sure they sell enough SR60i and 80i, to make a significant difference on their bottom line. 

They might end up putting new padding on them, but from what I know, the stock cushions in the sr80i's are very cheap to produce. They sound like they would be too.

post #12108 of 17433

After a couple of hours with the RS1i, I have to say that I'm impressed.  After nearly 30 days of really wanting to like the PS500 listening to it every day while my HD800 sat on the back burner, they just didn't work for me.  Everything that I found lacking, the RS1i corrects.  Flatter and a little more extended bass and the same with the highs while bringing some semblance of a soundstage back. The $100 or so price difference is an absolute no brainer give the difference in SQ, the metal gimbals and the extension cord and adaptor thrown in.

 

The Naim DAC-V1 is simply brilliant with the HD800 and is proving to be the same with the RS1i. I'm glad I gave Grado another shot after all these years. Count me in as a fan!

post #12109 of 17433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

After a couple of hours with the RS1i, I have to say that I'm impressed.  After nearly 30 days of really wanting to like the PS500 listening to it every day while my HD800 sat on the back burner, they just didn't work for me.  Everything that I found lacking, the RS1i corrects.  Flatter and a little more extended bass and the same with the highs while bringing some semblance of a soundstage back. The $100 or so price difference is an absolute no brainer give the difference in SQ, the metal gimbals and the extension cord and adaptor thrown in.

 

The Naim DAC-V1 is simply brilliant with the HD800 and is proving to be the same with the RS1i. I'm glad I gave Grado another shot after all these years. Count me in as a fan!

Good for you man! Glad to hear you're digging yours as we have. The RS1s are a killer can. If you haven't already, I'd recommend picking up a pair of Ear Zonk G cushes or TTVJ flats to further explore what they have to offer.

post #12110 of 17433
Looked at the price of flats. Then looked at my yellow 414 senheiser pads I had for using with the reverse L pad set up sounded muffled so I took the L Pads off. Cut quarter size hole in center of yellow 414 pads with 4 v cuts shooting out. Never sounded so good the yellows are softer than the grados. Not sure I can get picture with thebtablet I'm on so here goes.
post #12111 of 17433

Thanks.. already checked out the Ear Zonk and it's only available on Amazon.com (not .ca) and they won't ship to Canada.  Will look into the regular G pads. Was going to pick them up with my RS1i's but they were out of stock.  Not really interested in flats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

Good for you man! Glad to hear you're digging yours as we have. The RS1s are a killer can. If you haven't already, I'd recommend picking up a pair of Ear Zonk G cushes or TTVJ flats to further explore what they have to offer.

post #12112 of 17433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post


The cheapest in Canada is probably Stereotype. http://stereotypeaudio.com/our-brands/grado-labs/bagel-pads-extra-large.html

$54 + tax and shipping is still pretty ridiculous for some $0.50 foam though. Maybe try ebay...
post #12113 of 17433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

Count me in as a fan!

You're welcome...:D

post #12114 of 17433
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

It's no secret that pads swapping is a cheap and easy way to significantly change the sound of Grado headphones. Personnally, I have the stock earpads on my GS and PS1000, I have TTVJ flats on my HP1000, and SR80i, and I think that the Bushmills X sound simply amazing with the L-cush.

 

I don't know why Grado even bothers with the comfies, because it seems that almost everybody that swaps them, ends up preferring the G, L, or flats. Maybe the comfies are cheaper to produce, and if that's the case, I'm sure they sell enough SR60i and 80i, to make a significant difference on their bottom line. 


So we can quarter round mod them?

post #12115 of 17433

Can you purchase the Grados at their facility in NY?

post #12116 of 17433

Yeah, the G-cush's really change the sound of the 225i's.  Definite dip in the bass response, and a very pronounced widening of the soundstage.  Not sure I like the change so far, but it's a great excuse to play around with EQ in JRiver.

 

My Bifrost Uber should be here tomorrow!

post #12117 of 17433

Thanks, I can get then for $45 locally in Toronto when they're in stock.  No hurry right now.  Going to give the new RS1i's a few weeks to break in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post
 
post #12118 of 17433

and for your listening pleasure tonight

 

post #12119 of 17433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

After a couple of hours with the RS1i, I have to say that I'm impressed.  After nearly 30 days of really wanting to like the PS500 listening to it every day while my HD800 sat on the back burner, they just didn't work for me.  Everything that I found lacking, the RS1i corrects.  Flatter and a little more extended bass and the same with the highs while bringing some semblance of a soundstage back. The $100 or so price difference is an absolute no brainer give the difference in SQ, the metal gimbals and the extension cord and adaptor thrown in.

 

The Naim DAC-V1 is simply brilliant with the HD800 and is proving to be the same with the RS1i. I'm glad I gave Grado another shot after all these years. Count me in as a fan!

 

I'm lovin HD800 and 325is combo. Surprisingly, they share a lot of similarities in sound. Both have articulate, slightly etched highs, transparent mids, and textured bottom. end. On occasion I will use the built-in bass boost on the Fiio E12 that warms and gives body in the 100hz range.  I have considered the RS1i mainly for these sound expectations and I imagine they are significantly lighter in weight. And... the wood factor - they're gorgie. also, I can say about the same as the sr325is silver. Can't I just have both?! I do tend to light phones aren't shy about getting putting some emphasis on the HF and some  folks describe the RS1i high frequencies more melllow. I hope not too mellow.

post #12120 of 17433

HD800 and Grado Good! :D Going to give the RS1i some time to break in but I'm starting to think it's an HD800 lite with different tonality.   Half the price, 2/3 the SQ.  I fully expected the RS1i to be a lot brighter than the HD800 but on my system, it seems darker.  May be lack of break in or just my amp/HP pairings. Tried various combos of Dragonfly, Naim, iPod Classic, iPhone5 and Vali. Been busy for day 1. See where I'm at on day 30.

And yes, you can have both! This is the way of HeadFi. :veryevil:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 View Post
 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!