Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 803

post #12031 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

I have been thinking about grabbing me a vintage receiver.....one that can power some hungry cans :D


I still have my separates setup, currently driving my speakers but I have 2 speaker outputs on the amp (Onkyo 150wpc) That should drive just about anything, if not burn it to a crisp.

post #12032 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 

i want to give a heads up on a really , really good solid state amp for grado's, and its pretty affordable

the ifi ican,

i bid on one on ebay for the hell of it, and won.

the gimmicks, tricks, "features" i don't usually go for, but these (base boost, and 3d) aren't too bad

i find the bass boost the more useful feature.

i mean, we change pads, or tubes to get a slightly different sounds,

listening to the rs1i through it, and thinking, "this could use a little fuller sound, just move a switch

and even at the flat settings, its very good, smooth, liquid sound

it really surprised me how much i like it, it won't take the place of my mad, it would take the place of a little dot

if i had one, i'm a tube guy first, but if you're a solid state person, this would work just fine


From what I have read, all the IFI stuff is real good. Their little dac/headphone amp is supposed to be really really good.

post #12033 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 

i want to give a heads up on a really , really good solid state amp for grado's, and its pretty affordable

the ifi ican,

i bid on one on ebay for the hell of it, and won.

the gimmicks, tricks, "features" i don't usually go for, but these (base boost, and 3d) aren't too bad

i find the bass boost the more useful feature.

i mean, we change pads, or tubes to get a slightly different sounds,

listening to the rs1i through it, and thinking, "this could use a little fuller sound, just move a switch

and even at the flat settings, its very good, smooth, liquid sound

it really surprised me how much i like it, it won't take the place of my mad, it would take the place of a little dot

if i had one, i'm a tube guy first, but if you're a solid state person, this would work just fine


So for SS amps....would this be a better amp than the magni in your opinion,  Jay?

post #12034 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 


From what I have read, all the IFI stuff is real good. Their little dac/headphone amp is supposed to be really really good.


it is, i had it first, just to give it a whirl, tried the idsdto, to give dsd a while, i actually preferred the idac, smoother,

the ifi guys know what they are doing for sure

post #12035 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 


So for SS amps....would this be a better amp than the magni in your opinion,  Jay?


absotively !!

 

powerful, a little more full sounding, less solid state sounding, and the little switches , especially the bass, nice!

listening to it now with the x's and gs's

 

i think i should add, with grado's i feel its much better, if memory serves, and it may not so much, the magni was maybe a little coarse, hard top end, not bad mind you, i just think the ican to be a much better grado wise, another "grado approved"

joedoe will get to try it out next weekend, mini meet #II


Edited by jaywillin - 2/9/14 at 8:50am
post #12036 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


absotively !!

 

powerful, a little more full sounding, less solid state sounding, and the little switches , especially the bass, nice!

listening to it now with the x's and gs's

 

i think i should add, with grado's i feel its much better, if memory serves, and it may not so much, the magni was maybe a little coarse, hard top end, not bad mind you, i just think the ican to be a much better grado wise, another "grado approved"

joedoe will get to try it out next weekend, mini meet #II


That is good to hear, I have been looking for a SS amp to replace this ageing Headroom Amp I am currently using and this may as well be it. Now the question is do I get the dac/amp combo, in which case what do I do with my Modi. Or get just the Amp version.

 ANother question (or two) came up as I was reading reviews of Gardo headphones prior to my upcoming upgrade. I have seen several reviewers say in essense that unless money is no object, the Rs2i is a better value than the Rs1i as they sound very very similar. I was also wondering if any of you have had or do have both the PS500 and PS1000 and how much do they sound alike. In other words would this be another situation similar to the Rs1 and Rs2. Where does the GS1000i fit into all this?

post #12037 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

 ANother question (or two) came up as I was reading reviews of Gardo headphones prior to my upcoming upgrade. I have seen several reviewers say in essense that unless money is no object, the Rs2i is a better value than the Rs1i as they sound very very similar. I was also wondering if any of you have had or do have both the PS500 and PS1000 and how much do they sound alike. In other words would this be another situation similar to the Rs1 and Rs2. Where does the GS1000i fit into all this?

just buy an RS1!

post #12038 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 


That is good to hear, I have been looking for a SS amp to replace this ageing Headroom Amp I am currently using and this may as well be it. Now the question is do I get the dac/amp combo, in which case what do I do with my Modi. Or get just the Amp version.

 ANother question (or two) came up as I was reading reviews of Gardo headphones prior to my upcoming upgrade. I have seen several reviewers say in essense that unless money is no object, the Rs2i is a better value than the Rs1i as they sound very very similar. I was also wondering if any of you have had or do have both the PS500 and PS1000 and how much do they sound alike. In other words would this be another situation similar to the Rs1 and Rs2. Where does the GS1000i fit into all this?

check with mike at tweek geek, they have an audition program, you might could get both, and try it either way, keep the one you like

 

as for the ps/gs, the gs1000i has a better overall balance to me, the mids are more full, it would be cool to have both at the same time for a comparison

the rs1i and ps500 are a great combo

the rs1i and gs1000i are great(and better IMO), , i've gotten all used, and i got pretty good deals on them

are the more expensive headphones or combo's worth their price over the lesser ones, i can't say

they are all good

post #12039 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

just buy an RS1!


YUP, you won't regret it !

 

edit :  cause if you buy the 2, you'll have a big "what if" floating around in your head

post #12040 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post


YUP, you won't regret it !

 

edit :  cause if you buy the 2, you'll have a big "what if" floating around in your head

Yeah, I had that "what if" floating around in my head for buying the SR325is. So I wanted a flagship model, and couldn't afford the Grado flagships as the US MSRP is much lower than the EU one. Alessandro ftw!

post #12041 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 

check with mike at tweek geek, they have an audition program, you might could get both, and try it either way, keep the one you like

 

as for the ps/gs, the gs1000i has a better overall balance to me, the mids are more full, it would be cool to have both at the same time for a comparison

the rs1i and ps500 are a great combo

the rs1i and gs1000i are great(and better IMO), , i've gotten all used, and i got pretty good deals on them

are the more expensive headphones or combo's worth their price over the lesser ones, i can't say

they are all good


Where are you finding all these good deals on Grado's used. I look on Ebay from time to time but they are mostly the lower models (60 and 80) I very seldom see an Rs1i or GS1000i on sale there and when I do the seller seems to want almost full retail price for them.

post #12042 of 18028

Is there more than one tweek geek, I looked at their web site and they appear to only carry Beyer.

post #12043 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

Is there more than one tweek geek, I looked at their web site and they appear to only carry Beyer.
Tweekgeek.com, in Boulder Colorado
post #12044 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


Where are you finding all these good deals on Grado's used. I look on Ebay from time to time but they are mostly the lower models (60 and 80) I very seldom see an Rs1i or GS1000i on sale there and when I do the seller seems to want almost full retail price for them.
The sell/trade thread here mostly , I see some used on eBay/audiogon every now and then,
There is a pair if rs1i's on the sale thread now I think
post #12045 of 18028
Been trying the Philips Golden Ears training. Harder than I thought especially the different qualities of mp3. I find it very difficult to hear any difference once you get to 128 kbps and higher. I've been using my Audio Technica AD2000X but am going to try it with my RS1 next. It's a pretty cool way to compare headphones and/or amps and DACs.


Oh and I did manage to earn my Silver Ears.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!