Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 786

post #11776 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

Now I have a problem the Burson and the Woo were my two end game amps and apparently both are worthy of that status with the Grado's. So I still have a decision to make. As for the dac I finally decided I am going to play it safe and just get a Bifrost Uber, might not be the best dac out there but it is far from the worst.

 Quick question, I am pretty sure that someone on this forum had a LD1+ and an Asgard 2 at the same time, how did your Grados sound on those two amps and which would you say drove them the best overall? Reason is I found both for sale really cheap, looking to get one or the other for my bedroom system. My Headroom amp is still okay but it is so old I am getting nervous :)


+1 on the Burson as end game.  I'm also interested in a dac.  The analog our of the Oppo is very, very clear and revealing, but can be really harsh on some recordings.  The Bifrost Uber is on my list, but so is the upcoming Yggdrasil, which would definitely be end-game (I hope).  The only reason I'm interested in that dac is because I think my next venture will be into Stax territory, most likely the SR-007

post #11777 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 


+1 on the Burson as end game.  I'm also interested in a dac.  The analog our of the Oppo is very, very clear and revealing, but can be really harsh on some recordings.  The Bifrost Uber is on my list, but so is the upcoming Yggdrasil, which would definitely be end-game (I hope).  The only reason I'm interested in that dac is because I think my next venture will be into Stax territory, most likely the SR-007


i might have something you might be interested in

post #11778 of 18646

So here are my first impressions on the GS1Ki's…the right driver is D.O.A.!!! So they will be going back to Crutchfield tomorrow. One good thing is that I had the opportunity to put the (G) cushions on the RS1i's, and they sounded pretty good. I thought they would lose a lot of the overall bass, but they didn't, but they did lose a lot of the bass punch/slam and the bass wasn't as tight/controlled, the mid-range was set back a bit more and much mellower and the highs tamed down but not by very much though. I felt it was also harder for me to hear the detail/clarity, and the soundstage was a bit wider, but to me it was harder to hear some of the instruments due to the more recessed sound of the mid-range, they seemed too distant... but all in all they did sound nice in a different way, but I still prefer the (L) cushions for their immediacy that they bring. They bring much more liveliness to the music for me. From what I've read it sounds like the RS1i's with the (G) cushions sound very similar to what others describe between the RS/GS, so I'm thinking I'm not even going to ask for another pair of GS's and save myself $995.00, and purchase the (G) cushions instead, and swap them out depending if I want an aggressive/mellower sound. Jay, I know you own both of these headphones, if/when you get a  chance can you listen to the GS's with the (L) cushions and give me your opinion on wether or not they sound like the RS's? I know you've already listened to the RS's with the (G) cushions and said you did like them, (IYO where the RS's with the (G) cushions very close to the sound of the GS's? Also would you say the RS/GS sound very similar with the cushions swapped out between the two? Thanks.

post #11779 of 18646

That sucks Joseph. I just hope that you'll like the GS1000i as much as I do. They're great headphones. They have a lot going for them. When I bought my PS1000, I thought about selling my GS, but I just can't bring myself to do it. They're so light and comfortable, especially compared to my big boned HP/PS1000.

 

I hope things work out for the best, keep us posted.

post #11780 of 18646

Very sorry to hear that thr right driver was DOA, joseph......man, you really have some bad luck.

 

I too would be interested to know how the GS1000i sounds with the L-cushions.....I would more than likely like the smaller soundstage.....which I assume it would have with the g-cush.

post #11781 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

That sucks Joseph. I just hope that you'll like the GS1000i as much as I do. They're great headphones. They have a lot going for them. When I bought my PS1000, I thought about selling my GS, but I just can't bring myself to do it. They're so light and comfortable, especially compared to my big boned HP/PS1000.

 

I hope things work out for the best, keep us posted.

Yeah, like I said, I'm thinking the RS's sound very similar to the GS's, because the RS's did sound good last night with the (G) cushions, so I'm going to wait for Jay to reply if the GS's with the (L) cushions sound like the RS's, vice versa. I'm really thinking they do, and if thesis the case I'll just buy some (G) cushions for the RS's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

Very sorry to hear that thr right driver was DOA, joseph......man, you really have some bad luck.

 

I too would be interested to know how the GS1000i sounds with the L-cushions.....I would more than likely like the smaller soundstage.....which I assume it would have with the g-cush.

Thanks, I know I'm really having some bad luck lately with some purchases LOL! But what am I going to do? The best part is that I got the last pair of GS's Crutchfield had in stock, so even if I wanted to try them, I would have to go somewhere else, or wait for them to restock. I'll see what they say today.

post #11782 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

So here are my first impressions on the GS1Ki's…the right driver is D.O.A.!!! So they will be going back to Crutchfield tomorrow. One good thing is that I had the opportunity to put the (G) cushions on the RS1i's, and they sounded pretty good. I thought they would lose a lot of the overall bass, but they didn't, but they did lose a lot of the bass punch/slam and the bass wasn't as tight/controlled, the mid-range was set back a bit more and much mellower and the highs tamed down but not by very much though. I felt it was also harder for me to hear the detail/clarity, and the soundstage was a bit wider, but to me it was harder to hear some of the instruments due to the more recessed sound of the mid-range, they seemed too distant... but all in all they did sound nice in a different way, but I still prefer the (L) cushions for their immediacy that they bring. They bring much more liveliness to the music for me. From what I've read it sounds like the RS1i's with the (G) cushions sound very similar to what others describe between the RS/GS, so I'm thinking I'm not even going to ask for another pair of GS's and save myself $995.00, and purchase the (G) cushions instead, and swap them out depending if I want an aggressive/mellower sound. Jay, I know you own both of these headphones, if/when you get a  chance can you listen to the GS's with the (L) cushions and give me your opinion on wether or not they sound like the RS's? I know you've already listened to the RS's with the (G) cushions and said you did like them, (IYO where the RS's with the (G) cushions very close to the sound of the GS's? Also would you say the RS/GS sound very similar with the cushions swapped out between the two? Thanks.


sorry to hear, you do seem a bit "snakebit" lately buddy !!

as for changing the pads on the gs, i haven't done so yet, i've thought about it briefly, i'll give it a go today, they just sound so good , perfect with the g's

i really think the 2 the rs1i and gs1000i are such a great combo, like the rs1i and the 500, just better,

i'll say this about the gs1000i the "if" situation

if i could only have one headphone(and not just grado), but it didn't have to be cheap,  the gs would be it, easily

its light, comfortable, and to me, has to real weakness, there are things that i feel could be better with the rs1i, sometimes i like a little more bass, the lcd2, sometimes its a little too warm, but the gs1000i, is pretty damn close to just right !

now we'll get to see if i'll still feel this way when the LCD X gets here ! made a deal last night

post #11783 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Yeah, like I said, I'm thinking the RS's sound very similar to the GS's, because the RS's did sound good last night with the (G) cushions, so I'm going to wait for Jay to reply if the GS's with the (L) cushions sound like the RS's, vice versa. I'm really thinking they do, and if thesis the case I'll just buy some (G) cushions for the RS's.

Thanks, I know I'm really having some bad luck lately with some purchases LOL! But what am I going to do? The best part is that I got the last pair of GS's Crutchfield had in stock, so even if I wanted to try them, I would have to go somewhere else, or wait for them to restock. I'll see what they say today.


joseph, i really would encourage you to let crutchfield send you another pair, and listen for yourself, i'm going try the L's on the gs,

and to me, anyone who love's, has grado's, especially more than one model, should have the flats, the L, and the G pads all on hand

its easily the best, easiest , most cost effective mod there is, throw in some tape , and you never have to open up or solder or poke holes

and potentially kill a headphone !

post #11784 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


joseph, i really would encourage you to let crutchfield send you another pair, and listen for yourself, i'm going try the L's on the gs,

and to me, anyone who love's, has grado's, especially more than one model, should have the flats, the L, and the G pads all on hand

its easily the best, easiest , most cost effective mod there is, throw in some tape , and you never have to open up or solder or poke holes

and potentially kill a headphone !

I have S, S quarter modded L, and TTVJ flats, the only ones I don't have are the G's, I used to have them but hated them on my 325's so I got rid of them. I purchased the last pair of GS's from Crutchfields stock because I did ask them to send another pair if they had them, but when I ordered them their site said low stock and the guy told me I got the last pair, and they don't know when they are going to get them in, so in the meantime I got a refund and I'll call them in a week or so and see if they have more in stock, because I would really like to compare them to the RS's, and see if its just a matter of the G's between the two. In the meantime I'm going to order some G's to do some more listening with the RS's, thanks Jay.

post #11785 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I have S, S quarter modded L, and TTVJ flats, the only ones I don't have are the G's, I used to have them but hated them on my 325's so I got rid of them. I purchased the last pair of GS's from Crutchfields stock because I did ask them to send another pair if they had them, but when I ordered them their site said low stock and the guy told me I got the last pair, and they don't know when they are going to get them in, so in the meantime I got a refund and I'll call them in a week or so and see if they have more in stock, because I would really like to compare them to the RS's, and see if its just a matter of the G's between the two. In the meantime I'm going to order some G's to do some more listening with the RS's, thanks Jay.


i like the flats on the rs1i more than the g's

post #11786 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


i like the flats on the rs1i more than the g's

I like the flats the best on the 80i's, but still prefer the (L's) over all of them, on all of my Grados.

post #11787 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I like the flats the best on the 80i's, but still prefer the (L's) over all of them, on all of my Grados.

 

interesting because i prefer (by a small margin) the flats on my 80's (i find it adds to the in-your-face sound of the 80's), and don't like the flats at all on the RS1 (muddies the bass and congests the sound too much).  i'm still waiting for my G's and spare flats to arrive...

post #11788 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I like the flats the best on the 80i's, but still prefer the (L's) over all of them, on all of my Grados.

Couldn't agree more. If I had to live with one for the rest of my days, it'd definitely be the L.

post #11789 of 18646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
 

 

interesting because i prefer (by a small margin) the flats on my 80's (i find it adds to the in-your-face sound of the 80's), and don't like the flats at all on the RS1 (muddies the bass and congests the sound too much).  i'm still waiting for my G's and spare flats to arrive...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

Couldn't agree more. If I had to live with one for the rest of my days, it'd definitely be the L.

I like the flats on the 80i's sometimes because they add more bass for some recordings.

post #11790 of 18646

L's on the gs1000i, first impressions

some tracks, too much bass BUT the midrange is there, highs sweet, detailed, the soundstage collapses of course, more "typical" grado

overall sound is more typical grado, but still sounds "bigger" yet another combination !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!