Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 776

post #11626 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oteil View Post
 

Just some random thoughts on the RS1, I don't have the "i".....

 

When I first got these I really liked them pretty well, I thought they were a pretty ok improvement from what had which is the SR-80 and HF-2. The more I use them, I just can't stop listening. They just do "music" right, I am able to forget I and dive head first into any album. It is a much more resolving headphone that I originally thought. I think once you give your ears time to adjust they are just heavenly. These phones definitely have a magic that most phones start out with but fades with time. These phones actually get better & better(at least for me) and they are just dang comfy. I know this is a sticking point for some people, but man these are so light I forget I even have them on sometimes. Also, I know this is not a popular thing on head-fi but I just love listening to these things without an amp and man do they sound good!!

I am with you brother, the more I listen to them the more I like them, and trust me I have lots of hours on them :L3000:

 

I hear what you are saying, they do sound great without any amp....but a good amp can take them to a completely different level...I know it is hard to imagine, but it is very true.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

HI all!

 

I have not been able to post very often, or even read the thread due to a lot of stuff going on.

 

But, I do want to publicly that Jay for helping me to achieve some of the finest listening experiences I have ever had.  It started with swapping my HE-5LE for his RS1i, which I did not like at all.  I still beleive that my 225i's give me what I want from Grado, and the raw immedateness I get from those cans is totally absent from the RS1.  I already have smooth, revealing headphones that the RS1 cannot stand up against.  This is not so much a knock on the RS1's as they are a glowing recommendation for the 225's.  I fell even more in llove with their sound.

 

So I sent the RS1's back to Jay, and he made the interesting offer of keeping the 5LE's in exchange for his Burson Soloist.  All I can say is that the Burson and Grado's combine to give me the finest experience I have ever had in Head-Fi.  And for demanding material, I have the Alpha Dogs, which are a whole different topic.

 

Thanks Jay!

Congrats.

 

Yeah, Jay is an awesome guy.

post #11627 of 18469

well i can't help but to add in to the RS1 discussion LOL

 

they get better and better with every listen.  while i agree with swspiers that they aren't as 'in your face' as the 80's (never tried the 225) it's part of why i love them, they are still VERY "in your face' compared to say my HE400's which are quite recessed especially in the midrange.  what they are to me is all the best parts of the 80's but smoooooooooth and the bass response continues to surprise me despite the measurement data saying they shouldn't be much different from the 80's.  to me, ATM, they are my end game headphone for a good chunk of genres

post #11628 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

I am with you brother, the more I listen to them the more I like them, and trust me I have lots of hours on them :L3000:

 

I hear what you are saying, they do sound great without any amp....but a good amp can take them to a completely different level...I know it is hard to imagine, but it is very true.

 

Congrats.

 

Yeah, Jay is an awesome guy.

+1...I suspect everyone who has had contact with Jay comes away with a smile on their face. I've give him the Headfi Grado thread's most congenial or member at large award if there was one.

post #11629 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
 

well i can't help but to add in to the RS1 discussion LOL

 

they get better and better with every listen.  while i agree with swspiers that they aren't as 'in your face' as the 80's (never tried the 225) it's part of why i love them, they are still VERY "in your face' compared to say my HE400's which are quite recessed especially in the midrange.  what they are to me is all the best parts of the 80's but smoooooooooth and the bass response continues to surprise me despite the measurement data saying they shouldn't be much different from the 80's.  to me, ATM, they are my end game headphone for a good chunk of genres


Having a 225i, I'd love to hear from folks who have owned both 225i and RS1i. My sense is owning both would be redundant.

post #11630 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post
 


Having a 225i, I'd love to hear from folks who have owned both 225i and RS1i. My sense is owning both would be redundant.


that's how i felt and ended up selling the 225.  the RS1 and 325 on the other hand make for a better combo.  I wish I hadn't sold the 325.

post #11631 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 

HI all!

 

I have not been able to post very often, or even read the thread due to a lot of stuff going on.

 

But, I do want to publicly that Jay for helping me to achieve some of the finest listening experiences I have ever had.  It started with swapping my HE-5LE for his RS1i, which I did not like at all.  I still beleive that my 225i's give me what I want from Grado, and the raw immedateness I get from those cans is totally absent from the RS1.  I already have smooth, revealing headphones that the RS1 cannot stand up against.  This is not so much a knock on the RS1's as they are a glowing recommendation for the 225's.  I fell even more in llove with their sound.

 

So I sent the RS1's back to Jay, and he made the interesting offer of keeping the 5LE's in exchange for his Burson Soloist.  All I can say is that the Burson and Grado's combine to give me the finest experience I have ever had in Head-Fi.  And for demanding material, I have the Alpha Dogs, which are a whole different topic.

 

Thanks Jay!


you're quite welcome, i hope things have settled down at "the shop"

and it worked out good for us both for sure !! thank you too !

post #11632 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

I am with you brother, the more I listen to them the more I like them, and trust me I have lots of hours on them :L3000:

 

I hear what you are saying, they do sound great without any amp....but a good amp can take them to a completely different level...I know it is hard to imagine, but it is very true.

 

Congrats.

 

Yeah, Jay is an awesome guy.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post
 

+1...I suspect everyone who has had contact with Jay comes away with a smile on their face. I've give him the Headfi Grado thread's most congenial or member at large award if there was one.


y'all are quite welcome, and now stop ! lol  seriously, thanks, i'm just having fun, and believe in spreading the fun, karma you know, can be one's friend, or enemy !

post #11633 of 18469

didn't have the 225 and the rs1 at the same time, but i do think they are simular with the rs being a refinement

thats kinda the way i feel with the ps500, and the gs1000i, but to a greater degree i think, i'm loving the gs,

and i think the rs1i is a good compliment to it,

post #11634 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post
 


Having a 225i, I'd love to hear from folks who have owned both 225i and RS1i. My sense is owning both would be redundant.


I have the RS1i and I bought my son the 225i for Christmas.

 

I listened to the 225i with my MAD EAR before I wrapped it up to give to him, because I bought it 2nd hand and wanted to make sure everything was ok with it, which it was.

 

The 225i sounds great, make no mistake about it.....if I were going to buy my first Grado...this would be where I would start personally.

 

It is way more refined that the SR60i that I have.

 

When comparing it to the RS1i.....it holds up fairly well...but does nothing as good as the RS1i, IMO.

 

This is in no way a knock on the 225i...some may actually prefer it and maybe I should compare them both through the LD1+....which I have not.

 

For me personally, if I owned the 225i and the RS1i....I am afraid the 225i would not get the warranted head time that it deserved.

 

I am afraid for me the only headphones in the Grado line that could swipe some head time from the RS1i would be the PS500 and above.....and then....I am not positive that be the case, but more than likely it would be.

 

To me the RS1i really does not have any faults that amount to anything when matched to an amp that give you some great synergy.

 

Do they have a big sound stage....no....but I am not a fan of big sound stage with my headphones.


Edited by whirlwind - 1/24/14 at 1:59pm
post #11635 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 


I have the RS1i and I bought my son the 225i for Christmas.

 

I listened to the 225i with my MAD EAR before I wrapped it up to give to him, because I bought it 2nd hand and wanted to make sure everything was ok with it, which it was.

 

The 225i sounds great, make no mistake about it.....if I were going to buy my first Grado...this would be where I would start personally.

 

It is way more refined that the SR60i that I have.

 

When comparing it to the RS1i.....it holds up fairly well...but does nothing as good as the RS1i, IMO.

 

This is in no way a knock on the 225i...some may actually prefer it and maybe I should compare them both through the LD1+....which I have not.

 

For me personally, if I owned the 225i and the RS1i....I am afraid the 225i would not get the warranted head time that it deserved.

 

I am afraid for me the only headphones in the Grado line that could swipe some head time from the RS1i would be the PS500 and above.....and then....I am not positive that be the case, but more than likely it would be.

 

To me the RS1i really does not have any faults that amount to anything when matched to an amp that give you some great synergy.

 

To they have a big sound stage....no....but I am not a fan of big sound stage with my headphones.


i've not heard every grado, of the ones i've heard, the rs1i the the best "typical grado" i'm not talking best "value" best entry point, etc,

and of the ones i've heard, the gs1000i is the best "all round" headphone, or the best headphone that grado has to appeal to the masses

hope that makes any sense, and of course, the usual "just my opinion"

post #11636 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


i've not heard every grado, of the ones i've heard, the rs1i the the best "typical grado" i'm not talking best "value" best entry point, etc,

and of the ones i've heard, the gs1000i is the best "all round" headphone, or the best headphone that grado has to appeal to the masses

hope that makes any sense, and of course, the usual "just my opinion"

Thanks all for the 225/RS1 input. I've been debating an RS1 and probably selling my 225, or keeping my 225 and going with something totally different like a HE 500 or LCD-2-both headphones I've heard and like.

post #11637 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Thanks all for the 225/RS1 input. I've been debating an RS1 and probably selling my 225, or keeping my 225 and going with something totally different like a HE 500 or LCD-2-both headphones I've heard and like.

As a true eclectic music listener, I will say that the rs1 is my personal end game for many genres, while others I won't listen to with them. Those (generally bassy genres) are for my he400, and I'll be searching maybe around Christmas for an end game in those genres (LCD-2....?!?)
Now that I have the rs1 I'm less happy with my he400 as an all round can than I used to be...
post #11638 of 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post
 

Thanks all for the 225/RS1 input. I've been debating an RS1 and probably selling my 225, or keeping my 225 and going with something totally different like a HE 500 or LCD-2-both headphones I've heard and like.


if you are considering the lcd2, i'd also suggest the the gs1000i, i think it'd be worth a listen if at all possible

post #11639 of 18469

the gs1000i is less neutral, a lot more of a v shape.

Not saying that is a bad thing ;)

^ compared to the lcd-2

post #11640 of 18469

The three cans on my radar are

 

LCD 2.2

HiFiMAN HE 560i

PS 500

 

 

Senn HD650 & Bottlehead Crack & Speedball.....this is barley on my radar.......For the synergy alone

 

 

 

This is what is on for tonight    :L3000:

 


Edited by whirlwind - 1/24/14 at 4:06pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!