Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 717

post #10741 of 18618

I guess the bit I'm puzzled about (semi-closed / vented Grados) is "what is the point"?

 

Let's face it - the main reason for using closed headphones is for isolation - it's pretty much the only reason.  These are on-ear - not over-ear.  On-ear isolating headphones need reasonable clamp.  These are Grados!  I don't know about you guys - but every Grado I've owned - including the RS1's I have now - I always bend the headband slightly to relax the fit (otherwise .... torture!)

 

So thinking out loud .....

  • Closed Grado that's on ear - so you need to loosen fit
  • Vented anyway
  • Likely to be very little isolation (for you), and although leakage may be attenuated, it won't be nil
  • Priced at $400?

 

My question again - why would you bother?

 

I was also naturally interested when I first saw the news - then when I thought about it - reality kind of hit home.

 

I'll stick to my RS1s.

post #10742 of 18618
Mine's on the way. Woooooo!
post #10743 of 18618

Mine too. Woooooo!!

post #10744 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

 

My question again - why would you bother?

 

I was also naturally interested when I first saw the news - then when I thought about it - reality kind of hit home.

 

I'll stick to my RS1s.

In your case, you have an excellent pair of woodie Grados. I have no doubt that these won't match the performance of the RS1. I don't think that's the goal either. I'm hoping these will be on par with the 325 but with a woodie sound and of course the coolness of wood and being a limited edition.

 

That's why some of us will bother...cause they are just cool. I took the chance. They're Grados. I figure unless they are complete turds, they won't loose much if any value if I decide to resell if I don't like them, especially being a limited edition. I've wanted woodie grados for a long time but never wanted to shell out the $500 for a pair of RS2 or $700 for the RS1. This seemed like a good chance.

post #10745 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

I guess the bit I'm puzzled about (semi-closed / vented Grados) is "what is the point"?

Let's face it - the main reason for using closed headphones is for isolation - it's pretty much the only reason.  These are on-ear - not over-ear.  On-ear isolating headphones need reasonable clamp.  These are Grados!  I don't know about you guys - but every Grado I've owned - including the RS1's I have now - I always bend the headband slightly to relax the fit (otherwise .... torture!)

So thinking out loud .....
  • Closed Grado that's on ear - so you need to loosen fit
  • Vented anyway
  • Likely to be very little isolation (for you), and although leakage may be attenuated, it won't be nil
  • Priced at $400?

My question again - why would you bother?

I was also naturally interested when I first saw the news - then when I thought about it - reality kind of hit home.

I'll stick to my RS1s.

Fuddy duddy
post #10746 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post


Fuddy duddy


lol, i was thinking "party pooper" lol

 

with all the madness around, folks hitting the buy button(especially me) we could use a voice of reason couldn't we ??     :blink: (i've been using this smiley a lot lately)

post #10747 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

I guess the bit I'm puzzled about (semi-closed / vented Grados) is "what is the point"?

 

Let's face it - the main reason for using closed headphones is for isolation - it's pretty much the only reason.  These are on-ear - not over-ear.  On-ear isolating headphones need reasonable clamp.  These are Grados!  I don't know about you guys - but every Grado I've owned - including the RS1's I have now - I always bend the headband slightly to relax the fit (otherwise .... torture!)

 

So thinking out loud .....

  • Closed Grado that's on ear - so you need to loosen fit
  • Vented anyway
  • Likely to be very little isolation (for you), and although leakage may be attenuated, it won't be nil
  • Priced at $400?

 

My question again - why would you bother?

 

I was also naturally interested when I first saw the news - then when I thought about it - reality kind of hit home.

 

I'll stick to my RS1s.


usually I disagree with naysayers on the Grado thread, but I have to agree with this.  For me at least, these have zero appeal.

 

But for everyone else, I can't wait to read the impressions!  Personally, if I were to buy these, I'd wait for Jay to get them and then snag them in two weeks at a discount. :biggrin:

(I so hope you're not offended)

post #10748 of 18618

Don't get me wrong lads - I'm a fan of the Grado house sound.

 

Just seems to me that this is like buying a comb for a bald guy.  Yes - it could be a limited edition comb from a master craftsman, that will hold it's value (no doubt).  But in the end - it won't work the way combs are supposed to - and no matter how you use it - it's going to end up becoming uncomfortable on your head.

 

BTW - yes, I am bald (by choice) ;)

 

And I may be a fuddy-duddy or party-pooper, but I wonder how popular these really will be after the instant hype dies down.  I remain unconvinced ......

post #10749 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 


usually I disagree with naysayers on the Grado thread, but I have to agree with this.  For me at least, these have zero appeal.

 

But for everyone else, I can't wait to read the impressions!  Personally, if I were to buy these, I'd wait for Jay to get them and then snag them in two weeks at a discount. :biggrin:

(I so hope you're not offended)


noooooooooo not at all

and actually, i looked, and went " huh, pretty cool" but that was about it

i got some lcd's that as of right now, are up on the sale thread , lol, i really should have at least waited until the wadia got here ,

the lcd will sell, the wadia will suck, and i'll be going "why the hell did i do all that"   the term "addictive behavior" comes to mind   :L3000:

post #10750 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


never heard the 325, but i do miss my having my 500 !


Told ya so!!

post #10751 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

Mine too. Woooooo!!

YES.
post #10752 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 


Told ya so!!


I WILL HAVE ANOTHER, someday, somehow...............

post #10753 of 18618
I could never get comfortable with my 325 with S-Pads, L-Pads, G-Pads, bending/unbending of head band, etc. The best solution for me was S-Pads pressing against Shure 940 velour pads against ears. Will glue them together one day.
post #10754 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


i did my small "just curious" purchase and its on the way, the vali.

and while i'm confessing, i was real bad, i also made an "i always wanted a              "  purchase too , it should be here friday.

its from a brand i heard years ago in my HI FI DAYS  A WADIA 121  it was ttvj's deal of the day.


I just looked at that and curse you..now I want one sooooo bad! That is one fantastic dac/amp. Wow!! (Whats the penalty for robbing a bank?)

post #10755 of 18618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


i really need to sell something, or something is going back !,

the 121 was 30% off, that doesn't help a lot does it ?? lol

and i do have a possible buyer of the bifrost if the wadia stays


Bifrost..how much?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!