I have a perfect plan that you won't get caught! You will go to the bank and take out "Cha Ching" from your saving a/c...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 1/3/11
- productGrado GS1000tagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- productGrado iGrado Blacktagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
- productGrado RS1i Reference Series Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 3/9/11
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by Mad Max, 8/13/13More
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by cristina, 10/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Question For All "GradoHolics" Last post on 7/20/12 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- How bright are Grados? Last post on 9/23/14 at 7:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Newbies first (and second) Proper Headphone Demo Last post on 11/1/13 at 7:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
Grado Fan Club! - Page 717
Gear mentioned in this thread:
WOW! These are too sexy to pass. Will get a pair soon
they are all of a sudden more interesting... I was initially turned off by the s-pads/comfies
Edit: just found this too, good read: http://gizmodo.com/grado-labs-made-gorgeous-cans-out-of-irish-whiskey-bar-1476399898
Edited by wormsdriver - 12/5/13 at 1:10am
Do you really think they just took one of their existing headphones and closed them off? I'm sure they designed these to work properly.
Edited by bassboysam - 12/5/13 at 4:27am
Indeed! Pretty sure Grado will design a new drivers for this model or at least, take one of their product line driver, and do some tweaks on it.
Nice read indeed...but at the risk of sounding like a picky bugger:
1. John didn't found Grado Labs did he? I thought Joe, his uncle, did...
2. This isn't Grado's first collaboration...there was the head-fi cans (HF-1 and HF-2), and if that isn't close enough to a legitimate brand, then the Dolce and Gabbana collaboration a little while back...
All the over-analytical nit-picking aside, I hope these sound good, and indicate another step toward a sealed Grado at some point in the future.
Apparently, they've been working on these for about 5 months.
The articles mention various driver tweaks to get them to sound good:
"To make the headphones sound right, Grado actually had to add mass in the form of a little tuning fork-like wooden piece behind the driver diaphragm to give the cups a little more heft and sturdiness."
It also implies that these were done as an experiment in brand collaboration more than a pursuit of a better sounding Grado:
"Moreover, the project was an opportunity to tackle a number of challenges, not the least of which was seeing if his very serious audio company could actually play nicely with new friends."
Silliest thing is how they imply the wood "sounded good" before they made any headphones!
"When Bushmills approached John Grado about the project, the first thing Grado did was make sure the boozy, brittle wood was actually something you could use to make a headphone. "We listened to the wood out of the barrels and we knew it was something that could be done."
At least we know the final sound check was done by 'experienced ears:
Grado's son, Jonathan (and Bushmills spokes-celebrity Elijah Wood) spot-checked the sound to make sure that younger audience would like the end product. "It's nice to know that these old ears still got it," says Grado.
An interesting product but clearly not intended to supersede anything in the existing range.
Edited by bassboysam - 12/5/13 at 7:24am
It reminds me of a few years back when I would watch American choppers. When they would build a theme bike for a particular company. These cans look to me like barrels. I think they'll look really great in person, and since they're priced between the 325's and rs2, I expect them to sound pretty darn good!
Edited by wormsdriver - 12/5/13 at 7:43am
I'm sure they will. They are Grados and will have the Grado sound. I don't think Grado is all about revolutionary or taking worlds by storm. They have a niche and that's what they are doing. They make improvements on what they have but nothing so incredibly new and out there that the head-fi world will go bonkers. This is just an example of that wrapped in a cool package. Gimmicky...yeah, maybe...cool...definitely, sound good as Grados do...without a doubt.
- Grado Fan Club!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Filter Help w/ Speakers 5 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › La Figaro 339 6 minutes ago
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2