or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 699

post #10471 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I'm very interested in how these also, if you do purchase them, please let us know how they sound!


I'm willing to discuss all things Ohm, but not in this thread, since they're way OT.  But they are manufactured very much like Gardo's, and in the same town.

post #10472 of 27758

Any guesses what the 'surprise' is with the box?  I hope it's not that the wood is fake...:tongue_smile: (sarcasm, just to be sure):wink_face:

post #10473 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

For the price of the headphones, I personally think it should have came with one, and have been an option for the less expensive models.  

Then you would have to pay more for your cans!

Grado gave away the wood boxes for as long as they could afford to.

The cost became too high for them to continue to give the box for free.

They did not want to pass extra cost to their customers.

Even still, Grado felt bad so they gave away an extension cord instead of the box.

That is why a new Grado RS1 comes with an extension cord.

The really important fact is that Grado has not increased the price of the RS1 since released in 1994 = 20 years!

I am sure they would give the box away if they could afford to. 

Also remember that Grado doesn't sell direct. They only sell through dealers, so their margins are not huge, even on $700 cans.

 

The correct solution is what they have done. Search for a new source for a wood box and sell it as cheap as possible so those who want can buy but it doesn't make their cans more expensive for everyone.

post #10474 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
 


I'm willing to discuss all things Ohm, but not in this thread, since they're way OT.  But they are manufactured very much like Gardo's, and in the same town.

I'm just curious to hear if they sound like a Grado headphone through a speaker. Is there a thread on Head-Fi for this topic?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post
 

Any guesses what the 'surprise' is with the box?  I hope it's not that the wood is fake...:tongue_smile: (sarcasm, just to be sure):wink_face:

I'm guessing its a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter. 

post #10475 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I'm guessing its a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter.

Oh snap, I just ordered another one of those with the box...guess I will have plenty of them if that is the case...:rolleyes:

post #10476 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

 

I was thinking the same thing since all of my headbands are U shaped, I would have to push them back to the original shape, and they would once again have that clamping effect.

I guess it's time for the DIY-iers to cut the foam for U shaped Grado :evil: 

post #10477 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

Any guesses what the 'surprise' is with the box?  I hope it's not that the wood is fake...tongue_smile.gif  (sarcasm, just to be sure)wink_face.gif

It would be brilliant if it was a pair of RS3 built like that prototype that surfaced...but that's perhaps being overly optimistic biggrin.gif
post #10478 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post
 

Oh snap, I just ordered another one of those with the box...guess I will have plenty of them if that is the case...:rolleyes:

This was just a guess, not a fact.

I have a brand new extra one, if you would like to cancel your order, I will give it to you as long as you pay the shipping cost.

PM me if you want it.

post #10479 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

This was just a guess, not a fact.

I have a brand new extra one, if you would like to cancel your order, I will give it to you as long as you pay the shipping cost.

PM me if you want it.

Thanks for the offer, I actually already have two, was just buying a spare, just in case.  It also should get me free shipping on the case due to the order being over $99, cheaper to get another part than to pay for the shipping...go figure.

post #10480 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post
 

Thanks for the offer, I actually already have two, was just buying a spare, just in case.  It also should get me free shipping on the case due to the order being over $99, cheaper to get another part than to pay for the shipping...go figure.

Your welcome for the offer.

Definitely made more sense to purchase the adapter instead of paying the shipping cost. 

post #10481 of 27758

I don't think I will be buying the box... just a bit too expensive with shipping and all.  I'll just keep putting them back in the pizza box (I don't like letting them sit out because the sun coming through the window can discolor the wood and pads).

post #10482 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgard Varese View Post
 

I don't think I will be buying the box... just a bit too expensive with shipping and all.  I'll just keep putting them back in the pizza box (I don't like letting them sit out because the sun coming through the window can discolor the wood and pads).

True audiophile will design a shelve for their gears :D

post #10483 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by austonia View Post
 

 

Cool. $99 at 

http://www.4ourears.net/category_s/1824.htm

 

FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99

 

haha

 

edit: they quote UPS shipping at $17 to KS

 

Throw in a pair of S-Cush pads for $10 to push you up a bit more.  See if your shipping then becomes "free".

post #10484 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
 

Also some very cool still photos from inside the Grado offices:

http://stefanznosko.4ormat.com/audio

 

Thanks for sharing the link to the pictures.  Very interesting as I've always heard of their presence within a browstone building in Brooklyn.

 

In the pictures, I noted the following:

 

* The lathe appears to be housed in a red box with the glass window.  I suspect they are using a CNC machine to cut all of the mahogany cups as well as the inserts for the PS-1000, and PS-500.  

 

* The time clock on the wall for punching in / punching out during the start and end of work only had 5 time cards in the slots.  Does Mr. Grado use a card?  My guess is yes.  This operation is "old school" pretty much all of the way with the exception of the parts (headbands, gimbals, etc.)

post #10485 of 27758
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

Thanks for sharing the link to the pictures.  Very interesting as I've always heard of their presence within a browstone building in Brooklyn.

 

In the pictures, I noted the following:

 

* The lathe appears to be housed in a red box with the glass window.  I suspect they are using a CNC machine to cut all of the mahogany cups as well as the inserts for the PS-1000, and PS-500.  

 

* The time clock on the wall for punching in / punching out during the start and end of work only had 5 time cards in the slots.  Does Mr. Grado use a card?  My guess is yes.  This operation is "old school" pretty much all of the way with the exception of the parts (headbands, gimbals, etc.)

I've been to Grado, for sure its no Brooklyn brownstone, you would never even think it was a business, there are two old gray (steel) barn type doors on the street level, and above that looks like a typical (old brick) Brooklyn apartment. There are no signs at all, or windows on the ground level, you would think it was an abandoned building. As far as being inside, I was only in the receptionist office which is right on the other side of the barn doors, and very, very old looking, obviously from the photos some rooms upstairs appear to be nice.


Edited by joseph69 - 11/20/13 at 5:24am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!