Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado Fan Club! - Page 682

post #10216 of 24948
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

Good to hear.  I don't think this has any connection to the craftsmanship of the amp, but I suspect it has a lot more to do with shipping. The rattles, shakes and jolts can happen to a device regardless of how much foam packing is utilized.  Then again, maybe a kind note to the builder that a drop of thread-lock might be considered for future builds and that should alleviate a lot of headaches even if the package rattles a lot during shipping.

Exactly what I was thinking, I use Loctite on many screw applications where it is necessary. If the screws should loosen up again due to the heat then cooling constantly, I will apply a little Loctite. But I'm glad this was the issue with the tube sockets. Now I'm just going to wait for the new 12AX7 to arrive before making any other moves. I also didn't think this had anything to do with the craftsmanship, but more to do with shipping/customs. Thanks for the "Good to hear", I appreciate it.

post #10217 of 24948

Once you get your amp all on the good side, Joseph.

 

You can safely add the Sylvania 5751 triple mica black plate tube, to your list of must haves.

 

It is fantastic with the MAD EAR....phenomenal.


Edited by whirlwind - 11/3/13 at 9:49am
post #10218 of 24948
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Exactly what I was thinking, I use Loctite on many screw applications where it is necessary. If the screws should loosen up again due to the heat then cooling constantly, I will apply a little Loctite. But I'm glad this was the issue with the tube sockets. Now I'm just going to wait for the new 12AX7 to arrive before making any other moves. I also didn't think this had anything to do with the craftsmanship, but more to do with shipping/customs. Thanks for the "Good to hear", I appreciate it.


so has the tightening of the screws totally eliminated the problem ??

post #10219 of 24948
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

Once you get your amp all on the good side, Joseph.

 

You can safely add the Sylvania 5751 triple mica black plate tube, to your list of must haves.

 

It is fantastic with the MAD EAR....phenomenal.

Yes, I've save the site to my reading list that you directed me to, so when I'm ready I will definitely try it out.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


so has the tightening of the screws totally eliminated the problem ??

Well it definitely made the sockets solid as a rock, but I'm still getting some crackling/popping. I'll see what happens when the tube arrives, it should be here this week.

post #10220 of 24948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieliulanqi View Post
 

I am really baffled by the claims of shrill and fatiguing highs, and a thin sound lacking in bass. I love the presence and punch of the mid bass here.

11.gif

What headphones are you referring to?

post #10221 of 24948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieliulanqi View Post
 

I am really baffled by the claims of shrill and fatiguing highs, and a thin sound lacking in bass. I love the presence and punch of the mid bass here.

11.gif

 

Your image didn't show up on the post.  Were they calling the Grado thin and lacking in bass, or the Mad Ear amp?

post #10222 of 24948

Proud PS-1000 owner here.  I'm currently using MAD Ear+ HD Super II (which I love).  I'm thinking I'd like to possibly upgrade to EAR HP4 or maybe even Melos Sha Gold (if I could find one). Would either of these amps be a significant upgrade? Any other recommendations?  Just looking to get the most out of these cans.  Source is Oppo BDP-95.  Thanks!

post #10223 of 24948

I would love to buy Ear Zonk L-Cusions (or G-Cushions) from Amazon, but by some strange reason they do not ship to EU.

I can pay by Paypal (with some extra for extra costs). Is there any other place I could buy them?

 

Thanks in advance.


Edited by Rauliki - 11/5/13 at 3:22am
post #10224 of 24948

delete


Edited by mcandmar - 11/5/13 at 6:22am
post #10225 of 24948
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimzim2001 View Post
 

Proud PS-1000 owner here.  I'm currently using MAD Ear+ HD Super II (which I love).  I'm thinking I'd like to possibly upgrade to EAR HP4 or maybe even Melos Sha Gold (if I could find one). Would either of these amps be a significant upgrade? Any other recommendations?  Just looking to get the most out of these cans.  Source is Oppo BDP-95.  Thanks!

The EAR HP4 had a little bit extra energy in the treble area so not the best suited for PS1000s, in my experience. The ECBA was much better.

No experience with the Melos SHA Gold.

post #10226 of 24948

Someone is selling a pair of SR200 headphones on ebay. I had never ever heard of that model before. Anybody have any idea how old those might be? There is also a really nice set of 325 Goldies, those look SO nice. Someday I would love to get a set of those. Just hang em on the wall like some modern art work.

post #10227 of 24948

Ha, saw the 200s. Drove the price of em up $175 in about 20 seconds... Oh well. I hope whoever wins enjoys them!

post #10228 of 24948
@zimzim2001 - i am using the portable and battery driven analog squared paper tu-05 single ended tube amp with my grados and love it.
Edited by GermanGuy - 11/5/13 at 12:50pm
post #10229 of 24948
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

Someone is selling a pair of SR200 headphones on ebay. I had never ever heard of that model before. Anybody have any idea how old those might be? There is also a really nice set of 325 Goldies, those look SO nice. Someday I would love to get a set of those. Just hang em on the wall like some modern art work.

 

Yeah, I love the look of those goldies, as well.

 

I also love the "in your face" style of the 325.

post #10230 of 24948

Guys, I think I've contracted a case of Grado-itis. I've got both the HD650 and 600 and more times than not, I find myself preferring the Grado sound over the Senns... 

 

Even my MS1i and (at the time) 225i's were getting more head time than the Senns. I think that some members of the Grado family are still too aggressive for me ie. 325/MS2, SR125, but I really like everything about the MS1. This recent development also has made me VERY curious to get my hands on some upper level Grados, especially of the RS1/2 variety. If anyone is looking for a permanent trade or a two week loan, please PM!

 

Now time to show the L cushes some love...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado Fan Club!