Hey guys, I recently killed my CX300s by accident and am currently looking for an IEM upgrade from that. I've been reading through the forums and also a couple of other sites but havent been able to come up with a decision. I listen to a very wide variety of music from metal and rap to classical and acoustic songs so I would prefer an IEM that performs well all around. My budget would be around $100. So far I've looked at Etymotic MC5, Soundmagic PL-30/PL-50 and Thinksound Rain. Does anyone have other recommendations? Thanks for any help given!
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 1/4/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 1/4/11
- productMP4Nation Brainwavz M2tagged by System, 1/4/11
- productPL50 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 1/4/11
- productSennheiser CX 300 II-Blacktagged by System, 1/4/11
- productSoundmagic Pl30 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 1/4/11
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendation for IEM's Sub £80. Replacement for SE210's? Last post on 12/17/11 at 7:34pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sub $60 IEMs with Sansa Fuze Last post on 8/9/11 at 5:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Under $100 earphones Last post on 8/3/11 at 4:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help choosing between Soundmagic PL-50 and Brainwavz M2 Last post on 8/4/11 at 6:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM suggestions ~$100 Australian Last post on 5/2/11 at 1:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I had the privilege of giving a listen to these beauties through work, and let me tell you, I'm thankful for it. I'll go through the gamut on this and tell you about packaging, comfort, sound,...
I am by no means an audiophile nor do I call myself one. My experience with quality audio products is very limited and so is my vocabulary on this topic. That being said I took a pair of these...
Full review can be found at: https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-high-res-player-review/ Rating The NO BULL rating system is designed to take as many aspects of the device into...
I've had a short history with headphones. My first pair of good headphones were the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I will mostly be comparing these two. These headphones are much more better looking,...
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
Sennheiser CX300 II upgrade?post #1 of 1112/29/10 at 4:47amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1112/29/10 at 4:03pmThread Starterpost #3 of 1112/30/10 at 9:15am
if you didnt hate the 300 then you probably want a bass heavy sound, in that case the Rains would be bettor for you than the other 2.
however the Brainwavz M2 are betterpost #4 of 1112/30/10 at 9:51amThread Starter
Thank you for the advice! I've also been looking at the Brainwavz. How does the M1 compare to the M2? I'm sorely tempted to get the PL50s though. Especially since MP4nation is doing a discount on them right now but I just don't like the over the ear restriction. I think I'll probably end up with the M1 or the M2. Thanks again!post #5 of 1112/30/10 at 10:18am
PL-50 = just excelent but light in the lows and i think too light for you, stellar mids though.
M1 = lightish in the lows too, dry, clean and a bit trebly. excelent value but i think again a bit light in the bass for you
M2 = big thick, rich , warm sound. excelent bass, warm nice mids, gentle smooth treble.
the 300's are big bass monsters so be aware that most stuff rould here wil be massivly bass lighter than what you are used to. so you really i think will be after something bass heavy and the M2 fits that bill well. of course its not alone but its a great optionpost #6 of 1112/30/10 at 10:35am
Hearing the m1s made me lose faith in many reviewers lol. The mids and clarity have been praised, but for me they were the worst out of any iem/bud/full size Ive tried . I kept trying and trying to listen and burn in but I couldnt stand them. I have not heard the m2 but unless theres a huge difference I could not recommend them.
I currently have the mc5, and its doing okay for now until I get my se530 delivered. Responds fairly well to EQ and decent sound quality. Absolutely no wow factor for me though. Just does everything okay.
If you were happy with the cx300ii which has that boomy bass, I dont think any of the IEMs youve listed share that characteristic. When I had the panny hje900, I thought they had very nice bass. Didnt like the sound signature because it wasnt great for all types of songs for me. I experienced a mid bass hump and recessed mids. However, I could hear that it would be great for people who enjoy that sound signature. They were awesome for certain songs. Thats the one I would recommend to you if you can find it.post #7 of 1112/30/10 at 1:06pm
Brainwavz M2 are much better than cx300ii.
when compared side by side:
-> M2 - airy, clear, bigger bass , slightly better treble, similar quality mids but slightly thin
-> cx300ii- deeper/muddy/indistinct bass, muffled(generally due to intrusion of that fat bass)/thicker/generally good mids, similar treble but a little bit more sparkle, slighly deeper soundstage.post #8 of 1112/30/10 at 1:14pmpost #9 of 111/1/11 at 6:35amThread Starterpost #10 of 111/1/11 at 9:08ampost #11 of 111/1/11 at 10:09am
Turbines are also great, excellent bass for the price, overall very fun sound. The SoundMagic PL30 wouldn't be a good upgrade. MC5 is great too, but not sure if you'll like the sound (bass is lacking) especially for hip hop or rap.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser CX300 II upgrade?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 15 seconds ago
- › Best Computer Audio Player Software? 31 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 37 seconds ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 1 minute ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 2 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by jasonwdonnelly
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by JonnyA
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by TheoS53
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by aggFTW
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear