Right now i'm using my http://us.store.creative.com/PCI-Express-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium/M/B001BDPLJA.htm for my LCD2. I have the Woo 6Se coming soon... would spending money on source a diminishing return?
Related Forum Threads
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and Audeze LCD2s Last post on 9/11/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Do I buy Beyerdynamic T1 or Hifiman HE500 as upgrade solution to my current HD650/K701 combo? Last post on 10/26/13 at 2:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Woo Audio wa6se and headphone synergy Last post on 12/23/12 at 12:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD2 and Lyr+Bifrost combo.. Last post on 9/5/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800, T1 or LCD-2 on a small system Last post on 5/27/12 at 7:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Introduction Oriveti seems to be a rather obscure company, without any big breaks or long-running hype trains. They offer a single model that seems to be highly regarded, but hasn't really...
Background: The Audio-Technica CK10 is a dual BA IEM that was released in 2008, back then in those simpler times, CIEMs were a highly niche market, three BA drivers per ear was considered a lot,...
Focal Utopia Review Utopia - definition: An imagined state of things in which everything is perfect. My initial intention was just to write some detailed impressions, but throughout that...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I'd like to acknowledge Head-fier Ajaxander (Andy) and also Ken Ball from ALO/Campfire...
Audeze LCD-2 Amp or Source More Important? - Page 2
Poll Results: Which is more important when using the Audeze LCD-2's?Poll expired: Sep 24, 2013
28 Total Votes
82% (23)Source (DAC)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 222/3/11 at 4:40am
Some will say the source is most i.portant. Because it garbage in garbage out kind of principle. I think it is all important in a system. Als0 do not neglect the interconnect cable as the better your gear is the more noticeable differences you will hearpost #18 of 222/4/11 at 8:28am
I've been switching sources and amps recently, with my LCD2s; originally I was using a Marantz CD5003 disc player, DACMagic, and Woo WA6SE. Very good sound, but I was looking for an overall quieter background, inside and outside of the headphones.
I'm now using a Mac Mini, with an AIFF iTunes library, going out to a Stage DAC and then to a Concerto. Slightly different sound signature than with the Woo, but I'm liking it a lot. Actually the difference in sound between these two amps is less than I thought it would be, but besides the music, there is now no other noise! Totally black background.
So for me, the source or the amp could be the most important; it would be whichever contributes most to the silence between the notes. I may have a Woo for sale soon . . .post #19 of 222/4/11 at 8:46ampost #20 of 222/4/11 at 1:31pm
Totally agree with this. The source always plays into an easier load; the amp. The input impedance of the amp will be around 47K which is easy for any bog standard op-amp to drive into. And yes, far easier a load than the beloved LCD-2s presents to most amplifiers. That doesn't mean to say both aren't important, it's just that the source always has the easier job.post #21 of 222/4/11 at 2:05pm
Oh, and I should add that once you do have a decent amplifier that can handle the LCD-2s with aplomb, rather than get rid of the source one could try a few mods (systematically if budget is limited). Most commercial DACs are moddable quite easily; a few regulator upgrades can transform the sound most DACs and elevate the sound into high-end stratosphere.post #22 of 222/10/11 at 2:39pm
I'm have gone through quite some "pro" sound cards in my time. I personally would not go for something less than an Apogee or RME AD/DA converter. I own the latter and is the best sound I have had so far. I'm sure Apogee converters are better but I got a good deal on an RME ADI-8 Pro.
Just my 2 cents...
- Audeze LCD-2 Amp or Source More Important?
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 15 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 54 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 1 minute ago
- › What's the best amp for HD800 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sonic Orbiter 3 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 3 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750i by meetpatel3686
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY - Whole Aluminium Body, Triple Drivers Hybrid 2... by ustinj
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones by mrstrangeguy
- › Focal Utopia by x RELIC x
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...