Right now i'm using my http://us.store.creative.com/PCI-Express-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium/M/B001BDPLJA.htm for my LCD2. I have the Woo 6Se coming soon... would spending money on source a diminishing return?
Related Forum Threads
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and Audeze LCD2s Last post on 9/11/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Do I buy Beyerdynamic T1 or Hifiman HE500 as upgrade solution to my current HD650/K701 combo? Last post on 5/14/13 at 5:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Woo Audio wa6se and headphone synergy Last post on 12/23/12 at 12:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD2 and Lyr+Bifrost combo.. Last post on 9/5/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800, T1 or LCD-2 on a small system Last post on 5/27/12 at 7:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Edited on 8/18/12
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Edited on 9/19/11
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideEdited on 11/14/12
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
A friend of mine needed a new headphone, which was cheap, closed and good sounding. I said to him, dream on friend it will be very tough to find a headphone with those criteria. But then after...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the K550. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The AKG K550...
Audeze LCD-2 Amp or Source More Important? - Page 2
Poll Results: Which is more important when using the Audeze LCD-2's?Poll expires: Sep 24, 2013
28 Total Votes
82% (23)Source (DAC)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 222/3/11 at 4:40am
Some will say the source is most i.portant. Because it garbage in garbage out kind of principle. I think it is all important in a system. Als0 do not neglect the interconnect cable as the better your gear is the more noticeable differences you will hearpost #18 of 222/4/11 at 8:28am
I've been switching sources and amps recently, with my LCD2s; originally I was using a Marantz CD5003 disc player, DACMagic, and Woo WA6SE. Very good sound, but I was looking for an overall quieter background, inside and outside of the headphones.
I'm now using a Mac Mini, with an AIFF iTunes library, going out to a Stage DAC and then to a Concerto. Slightly different sound signature than with the Woo, but I'm liking it a lot. Actually the difference in sound between these two amps is less than I thought it would be, but besides the music, there is now no other noise! Totally black background.
So for me, the source or the amp could be the most important; it would be whichever contributes most to the silence between the notes. I may have a Woo for sale soon . . .post #19 of 222/4/11 at 8:46ampost #20 of 222/4/11 at 1:31pm
Totally agree with this. The source always plays into an easier load; the amp. The input impedance of the amp will be around 47K which is easy for any bog standard op-amp to drive into. And yes, far easier a load than the beloved LCD-2s presents to most amplifiers. That doesn't mean to say both aren't important, it's just that the source always has the easier job.post #21 of 222/4/11 at 2:05pm
Oh, and I should add that once you do have a decent amplifier that can handle the LCD-2s with aplomb, rather than get rid of the source one could try a few mods (systematically if budget is limited). Most commercial DACs are moddable quite easily; a few regulator upgrades can transform the sound most DACs and elevate the sound into high-end stratosphere.post #22 of 222/10/11 at 2:39pm
I'm have gone through quite some "pro" sound cards in my time. I personally would not go for something less than an Apogee or RME AD/DA converter. I own the latter and is the best sound I have had so far. I'm sure Apogee converters are better but I got a good deal on an RME ADI-8 Pro.
Just my 2 cents...
- Audeze LCD-2 Amp or Source More Important?
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 37 seconds ago
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 43 seconds ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 53 seconds ago
- › Custom IEM Review: Hidition NT-6 Pro – Clear & Precise Fun 1 minute ago
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! 1 minute ago
- › HD800 and T1 musings... 1 minute ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 4 minutes ago
- › Low-Price Audiophile Headphones 6 minutes ago
- › Heir Audio - The Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe