Right now i'm using my http://us.store.creative.com/PCI-Express-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium/M/B001BDPLJA.htm for my LCD2. I have the Woo 6Se coming soon... would spending money on source a diminishing return?
Related Forum Threads
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and Audeze LCD2s Last post on 9/11/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Do I buy Beyerdynamic T1 or Hifiman HE500 as upgrade solution to my current HD650/K701 combo? Last post on 10/26/13 at 2:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Woo Audio wa6se and headphone synergy Last post on 12/23/12 at 12:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD2 and Lyr+Bifrost combo.. Last post on 9/5/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800, T1 or LCD-2 on a small system Last post on 5/27/12 at 7:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/11/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
These are okay headphones if you can get them for a cheap price (sub £90 ) but probably aren't worth any more than that. Their build quality is solid, despite all the plastic used, and they can be...
Audeze LCD-2 Amp or Source More Important? - Page 2
Poll Results: Which is more important when using the Audeze LCD-2's?Poll expired: Sep 24, 2013
28 Total Votes
82% (23)Source (DAC)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 222/3/11 at 4:40am
Some will say the source is most i.portant. Because it garbage in garbage out kind of principle. I think it is all important in a system. Als0 do not neglect the interconnect cable as the better your gear is the more noticeable differences you will hearpost #18 of 222/4/11 at 8:28am
I've been switching sources and amps recently, with my LCD2s; originally I was using a Marantz CD5003 disc player, DACMagic, and Woo WA6SE. Very good sound, but I was looking for an overall quieter background, inside and outside of the headphones.
I'm now using a Mac Mini, with an AIFF iTunes library, going out to a Stage DAC and then to a Concerto. Slightly different sound signature than with the Woo, but I'm liking it a lot. Actually the difference in sound between these two amps is less than I thought it would be, but besides the music, there is now no other noise! Totally black background.
So for me, the source or the amp could be the most important; it would be whichever contributes most to the silence between the notes. I may have a Woo for sale soon . . .post #19 of 222/4/11 at 8:46ampost #20 of 222/4/11 at 1:31pm
Totally agree with this. The source always plays into an easier load; the amp. The input impedance of the amp will be around 47K which is easy for any bog standard op-amp to drive into. And yes, far easier a load than the beloved LCD-2s presents to most amplifiers. That doesn't mean to say both aren't important, it's just that the source always has the easier job.post #21 of 222/4/11 at 2:05pm
Oh, and I should add that once you do have a decent amplifier that can handle the LCD-2s with aplomb, rather than get rid of the source one could try a few mods (systematically if budget is limited). Most commercial DACs are moddable quite easily; a few regulator upgrades can transform the sound most DACs and elevate the sound into high-end stratosphere.post #22 of 222/10/11 at 2:39pm
I'm have gone through quite some "pro" sound cards in my time. I personally would not go for something less than an Apogee or RME AD/DA converter. I own the latter and is the best sound I have had so far. I'm sure Apogee converters are better but I got a good deal on an RME ADI-8 Pro.
Just my 2 cents...
- Audeze LCD-2 Amp or Source More Important?
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based -... 30 seconds ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 1 minute ago
- › My AKG comparison K7XX, K712, 65th Annies and the rest! to stop... 2 minutes ago
- › Review: Final Audio Design Heaven VI 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Annoying hiss through 3.5mm jack 3 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 6 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear