Right now i'm using my http://us.store.creative.com/PCI-Express-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium/M/B001BDPLJA.htm for my LCD2. I have the Woo 6Se coming soon... would spending money on source a diminishing return?
Related Forum Threads
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and Audeze LCD2s Last post on 9/11/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Do I buy Beyerdynamic T1 or Hifiman HE500 as upgrade solution to my current HD650/K701 combo? Last post on 10/26/13 at 2:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Woo Audio wa6se and headphone synergy Last post on 12/23/12 at 12:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD2 and Lyr+Bifrost combo.. Last post on 9/5/12 at 9:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800, T1 or LCD-2 on a small system Last post on 5/27/12 at 7:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Me: am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I bought these on Geekbuying after a considerable price drop to about $16 USD. Having missed out on the hype for the Piston 2, I decided to pick up the Piston 3 instead. The other bang-for-buck IEM...
My WA5-LE is by far the most expensive component in my system, but I can see why. The moment I un-packaged this very heavy piece of kit, I could tell I was in for a ride. By size alone it...
INTRODUCTION Being a fan of the RHA MA750 (RHA's first flagship IEM), I was quite excited to hear when RHA released the T10i. The new stainless shells, novel "memory wire" implementation,...
Microsoft Lumia 435 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/773374/microsoft-lumia-435-review-by-mark2410 Brief: An insanely cheap wonder device. Price: £30 payg or...
Audeze LCD-2 Amp or Source More Important? - Page 2
Poll Results: Which is more important when using the Audeze LCD-2's?Poll expired: Sep 24, 2013
28 Total Votes
82% (23)Source (DAC)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 222/3/11 at 4:40am
Some will say the source is most i.portant. Because it garbage in garbage out kind of principle. I think it is all important in a system. Als0 do not neglect the interconnect cable as the better your gear is the more noticeable differences you will hearpost #18 of 222/4/11 at 8:28am
I've been switching sources and amps recently, with my LCD2s; originally I was using a Marantz CD5003 disc player, DACMagic, and Woo WA6SE. Very good sound, but I was looking for an overall quieter background, inside and outside of the headphones.
I'm now using a Mac Mini, with an AIFF iTunes library, going out to a Stage DAC and then to a Concerto. Slightly different sound signature than with the Woo, but I'm liking it a lot. Actually the difference in sound between these two amps is less than I thought it would be, but besides the music, there is now no other noise! Totally black background.
So for me, the source or the amp could be the most important; it would be whichever contributes most to the silence between the notes. I may have a Woo for sale soon . . .post #19 of 222/4/11 at 8:46ampost #20 of 222/4/11 at 1:31pm
Totally agree with this. The source always plays into an easier load; the amp. The input impedance of the amp will be around 47K which is easy for any bog standard op-amp to drive into. And yes, far easier a load than the beloved LCD-2s presents to most amplifiers. That doesn't mean to say both aren't important, it's just that the source always has the easier job.post #21 of 222/4/11 at 2:05pm
Oh, and I should add that once you do have a decent amplifier that can handle the LCD-2s with aplomb, rather than get rid of the source one could try a few mods (systematically if budget is limited). Most commercial DACs are moddable quite easily; a few regulator upgrades can transform the sound most DACs and elevate the sound into high-end stratosphere.post #22 of 222/10/11 at 2:39pm
I'm have gone through quite some "pro" sound cards in my time. I personally would not go for something less than an Apogee or RME AD/DA converter. I own the latter and is the best sound I have had so far. I'm sure Apogee converters are better but I got a good deal on an RME ADI-8 Pro.
Just my 2 cents...
- Audeze LCD-2 Amp or Source More Important?
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 3 seconds ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 58 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audiophiles in Dubai? 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › What % of equipment reviews do you believe? 8 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 8 minutes ago
- › Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go. 8 minutes ago
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)