Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS. - Page 54

post #796 of 833

       


Edited by goohsm - 3/25/12 at 7:32pm
post #797 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

 

I still wouldn't risk it.
 

 



yeah im reading lyr drives even akg k1000 perfect and its a headphone that loud speaker amps drive
im leaning towards asgard for my er4s and i hope its a very good amp for er4s
maybe i am gonna order both asgard and valhalla and return one

i hope my er4s sound better with either one of them than with minibox e+

post #798 of 833
I don't know about perfect, 6W at 32ohms is very different than 6W at 120ohms (K1000's resistance).
post #799 of 833

I've tried my shure se535s with my lyr before. but only after attaching a 250 ohm impedance adapter to it XD

post #800 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by justie View Post

I've tried my shure se535s with my lyr before. but only after attaching a 250 ohm impedance adapter to it XD



how did you like the sound?

maybe i should try my er4s on lyr with ohm impedance adapter too

post #801 of 833

the sound didnt change all that much. i managed to turn it all the way up to 10~11 and still have reasonable listening volumes. The mids got more pronounced and the iems sound clearer. i only tried it for a minute or two just out of curiousity

post #802 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by justie View Post

the sound didnt change all that much. i managed to turn it all the way up to 10~11 and still have reasonable listening volumes. The mids got more pronounced and the iems sound clearer. i only tried it for a minute or two just out of curiousity

I'm looking to get a Lyr for my office and run the SE535 our of them.  Was there any change to the highs?

post #803 of 833

I love my Lyr, and I love my SE535.....but putting them together? Isn't that like rigging a jet engine to a scooter? blink.gif  Personally I would be thinking all SS for IEMs, especially SE535 that manages to be the only IEM I have that picks up a lot of hissing noise floor from an E11... tubes and BA drivers just seem like conflicting goals ksc75smile.gif

 

Sure, you can put resistors/caps in the way to increase impedance or attenuate signal, but after you're done adding cheap circuits designed to alter the signal, wouldn't it have been better off to go with a modest SS amp for IEMs?  Asgard is almost half the price, is better suited for the task, and requires no odd circuits in the signal chain biggrin.gif


Edited by IEMCrazy - 5/16/12 at 6:31am
post #804 of 833

Hmm, ok, I can totally see where this is overkill.  thanks for the reply, btw.  I am basically looking for something for the office, where I keep my SE535s.  I was thinking about the Lyr because later on I could move it to the house and put something like a Headroom Micro stack in the office (I guess that I could always go for the micro stack first thought).  for the SE535, I'm just looking for something that will bring out the highs a bit and complement classical music.  The latter is why I was thinking of tubes. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

I love my Lyr, and I love my SE535.....but putting them together? Isn't that like rigging a jet engine to a scooter? blink.gif  Personally I would be thinking all SS for IEMs, especially SE535 that manages to be the only IEM I have that picks up a lot of hissing noise floor from an E11... tubes and BA drivers just seem like conflicting goals ksc75smile.gif

 

Sure, you can put resistors/caps in the way to increase impedance or attenuate signal, but after you're done adding cheap circuits designed to alter the signal, wouldn't it have been better off to go with a modest SS amp for IEMs?  Asgard is almost half the price, is better suited for the task, and requires no odd circuits in the signal chain biggrin.gif

post #805 of 833

Hello,

 

I've asked this on other threads too but since there are more lyr users here I might get a better answer.

 

I plan on buying the lyr to use it with the lcd-2. But since I don't have the money (yet) I will buy the HE-400 or Grado RS2 (without i) first. I currently own the the Audiotechnica ath-m50 and a FiiO E10.

 

People suggested I buy the HE-400 first since it will work with the E10 but I just love how schiit gear looks. I really want the lyr and asgard on my desk. 

So my final question: What are the chances I will blow my eardrums out with the M50's? (Oh and I have sensitive ears)

 

Edit: Maybe add a resistance adapter? Who knows where to get a cheap one (netherlands)


Edited by HolyCheese - 5/17/12 at 5:33am
post #806 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnievidi View Post

Hmm, ok, I can totally see where this is overkill.  thanks for the reply, btw.  I am basically looking for something for the office, where I keep my SE535s.  I was thinking about the Lyr because later on I could move it to the house and put something like a Headroom Micro stack in the office (I guess that I could always go for the micro stack first thought).  for the SE535, I'm just looking for something that will bring out the highs a bit and complement classical music.  The latter is why I was thinking of tubes. 

 

 

 

If you're looking to bring out the highs, SS is definitely the right direction.   Tubes are about the mids, generally at the expense of highs and lows, thus their famed mellow sound.   Lyr, being hybrid, still keeps the details there, but generally the desirable trait of tubes is that it does tame the highs without sacrificing detail, whereas SS will leave all that sharp-edged detail in the HF.  If you're trying to boost the highs, go with a neutral or bright SS.  Asgard is actually said to be warm for an SS, but is also said to be bright compared to Lyr.

 

The Headroom Micro amps of old (I can't speak for the current edition and what changes may or may not have taken place, mine is the older first gen model) aren't quite neutral.  I found the Micro Amp (Desktop) of old to be very forward with an aggressive upper-mid.  I've jokingly called it "the Grado of amps" a few times.  It's an aggressive sound that, if you're a fan of it, you're a fan of it, but if you're not, you're not.  They have a strong following but the sound wasn't for me.  It's a nice quality amp, with lots of detail, don't get me wrong, but the upper-mids bugged me.  Combined with HD650 it was very closed in and thick.  It fares better combined with HE-400, but I personally dislike it greatly for K702.  (Though tdockweiler on the forums is a huge fan of the sound and loves it with both the 70x and 650, even more than his Asgard....different ears.) 

 

Functionality wise, though, even though I dislike the Micro's sound signature overall, I'd take it any day of the week over Lyr for any IEM, and especially SE535.  IEMs were definitely not meant for tubes wink.gif

post #807 of 833

Ah, good to know.  I had a ASL tube amp years back, but only used it for my Grados GS1000. The pairing was nice, but now I can see where Tubes' strengths probably won't compliment the SE535.  I also had the Micro amp which I got to take to grad school, but that too was running a pair of Grado GS1000.  It wasn't too harsh; but then again, I was listening to it at ultra low levels.   So, a neutral SS you say?  Unless you have a suggestion off the top you your head, I should do some snooping around to see what's what.  All this may be for not though, as I am looking into getting a pair of Grado GR10 for the office and may want to pair the amp to them instead.

post #808 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnievidi View Post

Ah, good to know.  I had a ASL tube amp years back, but only used it for my Grados GS1000. The pairing was nice, but now I can see where Tubes' strengths probably won't compliment the SE535.  I also had the Micro amp which I got to take to grad school, but that too was running a pair of Grado GS1000.  It wasn't too harsh; but then again, I was listening to it at ultra low levels.   So, a neutral SS you say?  Unless you have a suggestion off the top you your head, I should do some snooping around to see what's what.  All this may be for not though, as I am looking into getting a pair of Grado GR10 for the office and may want to pair the amp to them instead.

 

Well, if you were listening to Grados, I doubt you would find the amp too harsh, or at least wouldn't hear it over the signature Grado harshness.  wink.gif  If you're a Grado fan, then the Headroom may well suit your tastes after all! biggrin.gif

 

Otherwise, since this is an official Schiit vendor thread, it would be improper to not recommend Asgard, though I don't have one, and it is known to be a warm SS.  For Neutral, the one I happen to be using now to compliment Lyr was a pre-made DIY O2.  It feels kind of rickety next to the Schiit stack, but it's cute and sounds great.  It's also portable (sort of) and can run on batteries if need be.  It's sort of the definition of an analytical SS amp which would probably do well with the SE535, though I haven't tested it yet.  I usually use the 535's and TF10s truly portable, meaning an E11 and an iPod LOD.  I think of the 535's as warm themselves with their rich mids.  Kind of what HD650 is like on tubes.  And BA drivers can exude a lot of ultra detail in the high range, which would be well aided by a dead-flat amp.   There are other options out there, but the Schiit house sound seems to be "warm-neutral" across the board, except the Bifrost which I'd consider true neutral or bright-neutral, and allows a neutral SS amp to show its neutral colors.

post #809 of 833

Well, this is all good information.  Armed with your immense help, I think I'll not buy an amp specifically for the SE535, since they don't really need one, but hold off until I finally make a decision on a new set full-sized headphones for the office.  I'm currently looking at the Grado PS500 and the AKG550.  Sooner or later I'll get around to auditioning them and making a decision of which one to keep--then I'll tackle the amp.  Based solely on their reputations, I would think that a warmer/neutral amp (tube or SS) may be a good fit for either of these headphones.  Not that I'm married to the idea of a Schiit amp, but I am intrigued by the company and hope that I do like their products--so I can give them some support.

post #810 of 833

Hello Guys!

 

Will this amp pair with my ATH-M50s?

 

Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.