Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS. - Page 5

post #61 of 833

so will this power my beyerdynamic dt 770 pro's well? they are 80ohm, so i'm not sure where someone above me got 32ohms. P.S. this would be my FIRST amp to own, so I'm wondering if this would go well with my dt770 pro's at 80ohms and possibly, in the future my Sennheiser HD 800's (well would it?) Sry I'm such a noob i just don't know anything about amps.

post #62 of 833

Beyer also makes DT770s in 32ohms though it's in their premium line. If it does well with my other cans this may become a buy although I've had my eye on the X2 for awhile.


Edited by NapalmK - 12/28/10 at 7:26pm
post #63 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

This is making me wish I hadn't sold my K340s...



Me too, and I had both models. Then again, if I still had the K340s I might be tempted to buy this, and I really don't need the excuse to buy more toys... rolleyes.gif

post #64 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

so will this power my beyerdynamic dt 770 pro's well? they are 80ohm, so i'm not sure where someone above me got 32ohms. P.S. this would be my FIRST amp to own, so I'm wondering if this would go well with my dt770 pro's at 80ohms and possibly, in the future my Sennheiser HD 800's (well would it?) Sry I'm such a noob i just don't know anything about amps.



I wouldn't worry about this.  From the specs it has more than enough power to drive this stuff.  The only question is when does it cross over to class AB.  If there is enough class A bias you may only hear it on the widest of dynamic range music, or you are deaf, in which case it wouldn't matter one way or another.  With mosfets, I would be surprised if the bias is less than 100mA.

 

The only time the power becomes a question is into insensitive low Z loads, which the DT770 is not (under any circumstances).  The Beyer DT770/32 is not really hard to drive.  Keep in mind, IIRC, Beyer headphones have a 250mW rms power limit.  That roughly translates into 89mA and 2.83V rms (8Vpeak to peak).  Any desktop hybrid or solid state AC powered amp will provide that without any problems....correction, any decent amp.

post #65 of 833

I wonder how many output mosfet transistors it has/channel.

post #66 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Me too, and I had both models. Then again, if I still had the K340s I might be tempted to buy this, and I really don't need the excuse to buy more toys... rolleyes.gif


I was thinking I'd never find anything strong enough to power the K340s for anything resembling a reasonable price, but the Lyr has really changed that. Its got more power than a standard b22 and is 1/2 to 1/3 the price.  I'm strongly considering getting this for the sake of never having to worry about any 'phone I might get being underpowered.  My Sony XB700s will probably like this amp, 24 ohm impedance and 3000mW power handling.  Nothing I've got is really up to it and I was having a very hard time finding anything that had that much power and didn't cost a fortune.

post #67 of 833


      Quote:

Originally Posted by holland View Post

There are many amps that have those characteristics.  The ECC88/6922/6DJ8 are all very common tubes in audio, and so is the very generic description.

 

 

To clarify my statement (and in the context of these boards), I meant headphone amps currently commercial produced by a manufacturer using a decent tube gain stage and MOSFET output. Outside of DIY (EHHA, Stacker2??) there are few (LD MK-IV?). I would know because I've been looking for long-term replacement for my Melos which I know will eventually die because of its frightening cheesy construction.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by holland View Post

No again to your topology statement.  In 1991 Pass Labs developed a hybrid topology where a push-pull circuit is paralleled with a current source, which biases it into single-ended Class A.  No doubt, a similar topology is used here.  You parallel the P-MOS with the CCS, and voila single-ended.

 

 

You mean this?

 

Untitled-1.jpg

source: http://www.passlabs.com/pdfs/articles/leaving_class_a.pdf


Edited by purrin - 12/28/10 at 8:53pm
post #68 of 833

Counterpoint made a Tube/Mosfet hybrid amp, the SA-12, back in 1988.

post #69 of 833

The SA-12 is a not headamp and is not currently in production.

 

What I'm trying to say is that it's rather nice that Schiit is making this Schitt. It fills a current gap in the market. Geez!@#$

post #70 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

You mean this?


source: http://www.passlabs.com/pdfs/articles/leaving_class_a.pdf


Yes, that's the basic topology.  Remove the P-MOS and it's your basic SE in class A.  Exceed the class A bias and it falls to the class AB push-pull.  It's nice they went the extra effort to provide a SE output instead of pure PP.  I'm not sure if people are aware, but the sound is different, due to harmonic cancellation in PP.  Many purists prefer SE, from what I gather.  I know I like SE, but wouldn't ignore a good PP.

 

Nelson Pass is an audio design god.

post #71 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

The SA-12 is a not headamp and is not currently in production.

 

What I'm trying to say is that it's rather nice that Schiit is making this Schitt. It fills a current gap in the market. Geez!@#$



Yes, same idea just different application.

post #72 of 833

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post

Yes, that's the basic topology.  Remove the P-MOS and it's your basic SE in class A.  Exceed the class A bias and it falls to the class AB push-pull.  It's nice they went the extra effort to provide a SE output instead of pure PP...

 

Nelson Pass is an audio design god.

 

DANG! How does he think of this stuff?

 

The rest of your questions you posed to Jason are good ones though. Essentially how much will this thing stay in "Class A SET" mode with desirable distortion characteristics while driving say horribly inefficient cans such as the HE-6?

 

Quote:
I'm not sure if people are aware, but the sound is different, due to harmonic cancellation in PP.  Many purists prefer SE, from what I gather.  I know I like SE, but wouldn't ignore a good PP.

 

Give me that 2nd order HD! (err or just a little of it)


Edited by purrin - 12/28/10 at 8:54pm
post #73 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post


Yes, that's the basic topology.  Remove the P-MOS and it's your basic SE in class A.  Exceed the class A bias and it falls to the class AB push-pull.  It's nice they went the extra effort to provide a SE output instead of pure PP.  I'm not sure if people are aware, but the sound is different, due to harmonic cancellation in PP.  Many purists prefer SE, from what I gather.  I know I like SE, but wouldn't ignore a good PP.

 

Nelson Pass is an audio design god.


 

Nelson Pass is an excellent designer. I never owned any of his amps (I was into Krell then).

post #74 of 833

Is it possible to post a photo of the amps insides/guts? :)

post #75 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Me too, and I had both models. Then again, if I still had the K340s I might be tempted to buy this, and I really don't need the excuse to buy more toys... rolleyes.gif


I was thinking I'd never find anything strong enough to power the K340s for anything resembling a reasonable price, but the Lyr has really changed that. Its got more power than a standard b22 and is 1/2 to 1/3 the price.  I'm strongly considering getting this for the sake of never having to worry about any 'phone I might get being underpowered.  My Sony XB700s will probably like this amp, 24 ohm impedance and 3000mW power handling.  Nothing I've got is really up to it and I was having a very hard time finding anything that had that much power and didn't cost a fortune.


I was thinking about reterminating the K340 to balanced and instead tapping directly into a small T-amp speaker output. Of course, then I'd start thinking about building my own amp, and then I'd probably start looking into mini speakers (because I have the amp right?), and then big speakers, then building those too... and so I pulled myself back from the brink of madness and sold the K340s blink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.