or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS. - Page 30

post #436 of 833

Interesting amp.  I'm looking forward to the reviews.

post #437 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




Get the "NuForce μDAC-2"...  best bang for the buck, plus you can take it on the road.  Run the stock tubes for a couple hundred hours before you make any tube swaps.  BTW, if you do in fact live in the US, then you want 115v


That's the thing. I'm not looking for bang for buck. I already have that in the E7/E9 combo. I want a clear upgrade to the E7's DAC. Something I'm not gonna want to upgrade from. I know the Lyr is something that will stay with me as amping is something I know I'll be happy with as long as it can power anything on this side of reality. That's all I could ask for there.

UDAC2 is all I have? Wouldn't the HRT Streamer II + or Cambridge DAC Magic be better future proofed options? Again, something sold on Amazon (to take a less direct hit on my funds, as the Lyr is directly out of pockect, while Amazon isn't).

I don't need portability. That's what my E7 is for.
post #438 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post

Get the "NuForce μDAC-2"...  best bang for the buck, plus you can take it on the road.  Run the stock tubes for a couple hundred hours before you make any tube swaps.  BTW, if you do in fact live in the US, then you want 115v

That's the thing. I'm not looking for bang for buck. I already have that in the E7/E9 combo. I want a clear upgrade to the E7's DAC. Something I'm not gonna want to upgrade from. I know the Lyr is something that will stay with me as amping is something I know I'll be happy with as long as it can power anything on this side of reality. That's all I could ask for there.

UDAC2 is all I have? Wouldn't the HRT Stream II + or Cambridge DACMagic be better future proofed options?

I don't need portability. That's what my E7 is for.


I personally do not like the sound of the HRT.  I think the NuForce product is better sounding and has more features to boot.  BTW, if you're really planning to use a netbook as a source, then question how serious you really are about your audio in the first place.  You need enough memory and processing power to run the codec and not get interrupts to your audio data stream.  If it's a netbook, I suspect that you have too little memory, a slow processor, and a slow hard drive for anywhere near the best sound.  The μDAC-2 is likely better performance than what the typical netbook is capable of feeding it.  BTW, in my estimation, the NuForce is a clear upgrade to the E7.

post #439 of 833
My netbook is a temporary measure. It has served me quite well with the E7's DAC portion with a very clear sound. However, I fail to believe the uDAC2 can best the Dac Magic or something better. Any other options? I'll keep the uDAC2 in mind, but I believe there is better out there. I'm not looking for a subtle improvement over my E7 which is already proven to have a very good DAC for the price.

I want a clear and convincing upgrade.

BTW, I don't have an entry level netbook. I have a dual core netbook said to perform better than some laptops. Never had a problem with it choking while playing music.
post #440 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

My netbook is a temporary measure. It has served me quite well with the E7's DAC portion with a very clear sound. However, I fail to believe the uDAC2 can best the Dac Magic or something better. Any other options? I'll keep the uDAC2 in mind, but I believe there is better out there. I'm not looking for a subtle improvement over my E7 which is already proven to have a very good DAC for the price.

I want a clear and convincing upgrade.

BTW, I don't have an entry level netbook. I have a dual core netbook said to perform better than some laptops. Never had a problem with it choking while playing music.

Well, the NuForce μDAC-2 is a clear upgrade to the E7, but it sounds like you want to get the DacMagic, so why don't you get that?
 

post #441 of 833

Keep in mind that when you ask others for advice and they offer it to you...  Then you tell them that you know better anyway, you may not get as much advice as you really need.

post #442 of 833
You misunderstand, I definitely heed your advice. I been looking at the uDAC2 for a while now, but it seems to be a next 'step' and not a more 'permanent' solution.

I'm just looking for more input on it. smily_headphones1.gif Something to bring out a great amount of potential for the Lyr. If the UDAC2 does this, then I would do it.
post #443 of 833

Can I ask what characteristics you didnt like about the Streamer II+ kwkarth? Ive been using the II+ for a couple months now and Ive found it to get in the way of the music less than the DacMagic I was using for a couple weeks on loan. I picked the HRT due to it not really coloring the music much at all and I didnt feel that way about the DacMagic (although it was a close call).  I dont have any UDac products nor any other DAC's at all so Im limited on reference here other than the two I mentioned. Im just curious what you think the II+ does wrong. Ive had trouble finding impressions of the II+ here on headfi while the other models like the + seem to be owned by many.

post #444 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

You misunderstand, I definitely heed your advice. I been looking at the uDAC2 for a while now, but it seems to be a next 'step' and not a more 'permanent' solution.

I'm just looking for more input on it. smily_headphones1.gif Something to bring out a great amount of potential for the Lyr. If the UDAC2 does this, then I would do it.
 


I personally am going to stick with my tweaked Music Hall 25.2 DAC (which I am very happy with) until Schiit comes out with their DAC products.  If I were in your shoes, I would either stand pat until then or go for the μDAC-2 now, which will clearly be better than your E7, and then look again after the new Schiit comes out.

post #445 of 833
Would you consider the UDAC2 neutral? (I know the E7 is slightly on the warm side of neutral when using it as a dac/amp, but more neutral when docjked to the E9). That's important to me. Hell, that's why I don't bother with tubes, but the Lyr is just too delicious to pass up as long as the stock tubes are transparent enough, or can get a pair of tubes later that can keep it neutral. One major reason I love the E9 as an amp is that it doesn't impose a change in tone and signature.
post #446 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudohippy View Post

Can I ask what characteristics you didnt like about the Streamer II+ kwkarth? Ive been using the II+ for a couple months now and Ive found it to get in the way of the music less than the DacMagic I was using for a couple weeks on loan. I picked the HRT due to it not really coloring the music much at all and I didnt feel that way about the DacMagic (although it was a close call).  I dont have any UDac products nor any other DAC's at all so Im limited on reference here other than the two I mentioned. Im just curious what you think the II+ does wrong. Ive had trouble finding impressions of the II+ here on headfi while the other models like the + seem to be owned by many.

Yes, to my ear, the Streamer II+ sounded undefined compared to some of the competition.  Don't get me wrong, it was not by any means the worst DAC on the street, but it was far from my favorite when I compared it to  bunch of others.  The HRT was smooth, but too laid back for me.  I would prefer it to a DAC that sounded etched or strident, but to my ear, the streamer just didn't have the clarity, imaging, and detail I was looking for.  I far prefer my MH to anything anywhere near it's price range, (~600 bux) but I did feel the MHDT Havana DAC was a real winner at around 900 bux.
 

post #447 of 833


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

You misunderstand, I definitely heed your advice. I been looking at the uDAC2 for a while now, but it seems to be a next 'step' and not a more 'permanent' solution.

I'm just looking for more input on it. smily_headphones1.gif Something to bring out a great amount of potential for the Lyr. If the UDAC2 does this, then I would do it.
 


I agree with kwkarth wholeheartedly -- the uDAC-2 is an amazing DAC/amp [don't be put-off by the low price] AND it handles HI-RES [96/24bit] audio via the USB port whereas the DacMagic does NOT [http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specifications.php?PID=320&Title=Specifications].  The DacMagic only does 16bit data thru it's USB port.

 

I currently use it with an Asgard amp with Grado GS1000i's and also hooked into my speaker rig where it directly drives [no preamp] an Audio Research VT130 to make the best music I've ever heard from this system.  

 

For the price, the uDAC-2 is a no brainer- esp for portable use -- and no, I don't work for NuForce!

 

I am however [RU listening Jason/Mike] open to a Schitty DAC whenever one might be spotted in the wild.

 

 ;-)  scs999

 

post #448 of 833
Thanks guys. I just didn't wanna spend money on another portable dac/amp (I really DON'T need portable, nor an amp on the go).

Before reading up on the Lyr, I was gonna wait on the E17 which is coming very late this year as my next DAC which will do what the UDAC2 does... and docks to the E9. Now that the Lyr is in my sights, I don't need it, but would hope that whatever dac I get won't wanna make me upgrade later.

I think I'll get the Lyr for now, and wait for Fiio's L7 lod to pair it my E7 to the Lyr until I'm completely sure of what DAC I wanna upgrade to. UDAC2 is looking good, but I want more input.
post #449 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Would you consider the UDAC2 neutral? (I know the E7 is slightly on the warm side of neutral when using it as a dac/amp, but more neutral when docjked to the E9). That's important to me. Hell, that's why I don't bother with tubes, but the Lyr is just too delicious to pass up as long as the stock tubes are transparent enough, or can get a pair of tubes later that can keep it neutral. One major reason I love the E9 as an amp is that it doesn't impose a change in tone and signature.


Yes, I do consider it neutral.  I currently do not own one, but I have spent many hours listening to it, its predecessor, and like priced competition.  To my ear, it wins hands down in that arena.  The CenTrance DACPort was a much better sounding product, but it runs about 400 bux, and is worth the price.  If I needed a portable DAC/headamp for use with my laptop, I would not hesitate to buy the NuForce μDAC-2 if I could not afford the DACPort.

post #450 of 833

The good news for me is that my Lyr is going to be here in time for the Seattle Meet on March 5th so hopefully I can test many DAC's and many amps and compare my MSII+. My current issue is similar to Mad Lust Envy as Im about to go from 1 am to 2 amps and only have one DAC. Im still glad I have the HRT because I got that so I could haul it along with my lap top and at home will mostly likely hang with the Lyr. But I need a clear upgrade for my listening room stationary setup with my WA2. Im gonna give that Music Hall a good look. DAC's aplenty these days, thats for sure. You can find a million different options. Ive wasted half my life reading a thread here on headfi rating quite a few of them in good detail. Im still not done lol. Oh, Kwkarth, what is your Music Hall tweak?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.