or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS. - Page 26

post #376 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGoodman View Post





Reading the thread would help(I am saying that in a nice way). Yes it can.

Sorry, havent been following along. And my attention span doesn't extend to 14 pages tongue_smile.gif
 

post #377 of 833

It's an ADHD world we live in these days. L3000.gif  eek.gif  SQUIRREL!!  wink_face.gif

post #378 of 833

how will it handle heat dissipitation? i assume it will get very hot..

post #379 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawindra View Post

how will it handle heat dissipitation? i assume it will get very hot..



Reports from the manufacturer, posted in this thread, indicate that it runs cooler than the Asgard.

post #380 of 833


Quote:

Originally Posted by sawindra View Post

how will it handle heat dissipitation? i assume it will get very hot..



LOLOLOLOL! This is so relative - just quick story at the recent Bay Area meet:

 

I was one of the first in the early morning to listen to the Lyr. When I was approaching Mike and Jason, someone just had to blurt something to the effect of "you can cook eggs on them, can't you?" Now I've got to say that Jason is such a good sport!

 

IMO, the Lyr gets warm, just like any other amp gets warm. The Asgard is warmer. What I think is funny (or disturbing) is that you see so many posts on this heat issue in regards to Schitt Audio amps, but not to any other amps which get just as warm.

 

But yeah, for reference, a Macbook pro cranking complex math equations is deadly hot compared to the Lyr. Keep in mind however, you don't exactly want to rest your balls on top of the glass tubes though. A hot of heat does radiate from the tubes (as with all other tubes amps.)

post #381 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post


Quote:



 

I was one of the first in the early morning to listen to the Lyr. 


Can you chime in on the performance and sound signature of the Lyr? If I'm not mistaken no one has reported anything about its sound... Which headphones you used it with and what was the result? 

 

Thanks so much in advance

post #382 of 833

The Lyr was exactly what I imagined it to be. Bass hits HARD! Nice and warm sound signature. Probably a little rolled-off on the treble. Plenty of power. Low noise. I didn't think the LCD2s were the best match for the Lyr since the LCD2s are dark phones. I'm wondering if Asgard+LCD2 would do better? (BTW, Jason and Mike had the LCD2s initially connected to the Asgard before I came back and switched them around.) Also, I suspect their Theta DAC could have been too smooth for the Lyr+LCD2 setup.

 

Awesome, just awesome with PS1000s, which are picky with amps. Smooth. The Lyr worked well for Grados. I suspect that the treble tilted headphones such as HE6, K701, and HD800 would be a good match too.

 

Complaints? Lacks ultimate resolution / transparency, a little bit soft compared to the most expensive tube/MOSFET hybrids (not that you have many choices outside of DIY.) But what do you expect at this price point of $449? BTW, it sounds as good as a stock Melos but with less midrange tube voodoo (I suspect it was an intentional design decision to keep the Lyr clean sounding). My old Matrix M-Stage ~$280 had more resolving power (and definitely more treble extension), but I modified the crap of it, and it's SS, so it's not a fair or even apples-to-apples comparison. But we're still talking about the same league in terms of transparency - until you hit the $1200 amp range.

 

The Lyr had JJ tubes, which have a nice warm solid sound. They are not the most articulate or lively tubes though, even among current production. Ultimately, the Lyr (as it was) has good enough resolution for DACs up to $1,200. It would be a good match for those with more clinical sounding DACs too.

 

Tube roll at your own peril though. It's not recommended by Schitt because they mentioned they have had minor issues here and there with other tubes. Also a lot of NOS stuff from ebay can be hit-or-miss. I understand where the Schitt is coming from - they gotta deal with customer support.

 

I'm tempted to get one myself and pop it open to mess with. Don't worry Jason, if I break it I won't send it back to you under warranty.


Edited by purrin - 2/25/11 at 4:00pm
post #383 of 833

Hi Jason, what's the price going to be in Australia for these with postage? Also, where do I go about getting in contact with a local distributor?

post #384 of 833

Thanks for the impressions, Purrin!

Sounds like I might have to switch back to a silver cable for my LCD-2s with this amp...

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #385 of 833

Oh, and BTW, the gain / volume pot is set just right. The volume knob was not to set to anything funny at listening volume for both PS1000 and LCD2. What I mean by "funny" is 10 degrees from full counterclockwise (tracking errors) or 10 degrees from full clockwise. I can't remember where the volume knob was (I was intent on listening), but I'm sure it was set to a good middle range with room to move both ways.

post #386 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

The Lyr was exactly what I imagined it to be. Bass hits HARD! Nice and warm sound signature. Probably a little rolled-off on the treble. Plenty of power. Low noise. I didn't think the LCD2s were the best match for the Lyr since the LCD2s are dark phones. I'm wondering if Asgard+LCD2 would do better? (BTW, Jason and Mike had the LCD2s initially connected to the Asgard before I came back and switched them around.) Also, I suspect their Theta DAC could have been too smooth for the Lyr+LCD2 setup.

With regard to the above statement 

Probably a little rolled-off on the treble....   Frequency Response: 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB  I'm sure -3dB at 200kHz is audible to you, but it ain't to me.  My hearing must be going!  I think a lot of people are used to hearing false treble boost and distortion and have acustomed themselves to thinking that's normal, then when they hear truly flat response and no audible distortion up high, they perceive it as rolled off.  Just my 2¢ worth.
 

post #387 of 833


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

The Lyr was exactly what I imagined it to be. Bass hits HARD! Nice and warm sound signature. Probably a little rolled-off on the treble. Plenty of power. Low noise. I didn't think the LCD2s were the best match for the Lyr since the LCD2s are dark phones. I'm wondering if Asgard+LCD2 would do better? (BTW, Jason and Mike had the LCD2s initially connected to the Asgard before I came back and switched them around.) Also, I suspect their Theta DAC could have been too smooth for the Lyr+LCD2 setup.

 

Awesome, just awesome with PS1000s, which are picky with amps. Smooth. The Lyr worked well for Grados. I suspect that the treble tilted headphones such as HE6, K701, and HD800 would be a good match too.

 

Complaints? Lacks ultimate resolution / transparency, a little bit soft compared to the most expensive tube/MOSFET hybrids (not that you have many choices outside of DIY.) But what do you expect at this price point of $449? BTW, it sounds as good as a stock Melos but with less midrange tube voodoo (I suspect it was an intentional design decision to keep the Lyr clean sounding). My old Matrix M-Stage ~$280 had more resolving power (and definitely more treble extension), but I modified the crap of it, and it's SS, so it's not a fair or even apples-to-apples comparison. But we're still talking about the same league in terms of transparency - until you hit the $1200 amp range.

 

The Lyr had JJ tubes in the Lyr, which have a nice warm solid sound. They are not the most articulate tubes though, even among current production. Ultimately, the Lyr (as it was) has good enough resolution for DACs up to $1,200. It would be a good match for those with more clinical sounding DACs too.

 

Tube roll at your own peril though. It's not recommended by Schitt because they mentioned they have had minor issues here and there with other tubes. Also a lot of NOS stuff from ebay can be hit-or-miss. I understand where the Schitt is coming from - they gotta deal with customer support.

 

I'm tempted to get one myself and pop it open to mess with. Don't worry Jason, if I break it I won't send it back to you under warranty.


I appreciate these comments however there is no mention of the advantage of such a high output design in respect to dynamics with the LCD2. There have been comments that the LCD2's "open up" with 2W or more and I'm wondering if this just means you can blow your brains out with volume or this design really is offering advantages that you haven't mentioned or you haven't noticed because they are not there.

 

Also I respect what you are saying in regards to "ultimate resolution and transparency" however can you quantify what this means in relative terms?  Are you talking 95% of resolution and transparency of a $1200 amp? Are you sure you're not subject to some psycho acoustic phenomenon?

 

post #388 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

The Lyr had JJ tubes, which have a nice warm solid sound. They are not the most articulate or lively tubes though, even among current production. Ultimately, the Lyr (as it was) has good enough resolution for DACs up to $1,200. It would be a good match for those with more clinical sounding DACs too.

 

Tube roll at your own peril though. It's not recommended by Schitt because they mentioned they have had minor issues here and there with other tubes. Also a lot of NOS stuff from ebay can be hit-or-miss. I understand where the Schitt is coming from - they gotta deal with customer support.


So, did Jason change the recommendation from their published data on their web site?

 

Quote from web site:

Roll your own 

Lyr ships with JJ ECC88 tubes, but feel free to substitute any 6DJ8, 6922, or ECC88 type tube, new or old, American or Russian or Chinese. The ability to use different tubes lets you tune the overall sound signature of Lyr to your specific needs.

post #389 of 833

To clarify, at least Jason didn't seem to keen on excessive tube rolling. He mentioned one current production that didn't always work. Maybe I was reading into it too much.

post #390 of 833

Thanks for the impressions Purrin. They are very much appreciated. But I am just hoping that you're wrong about the LCD-2 pairing :) 

 

I was thinking about buying this amp to use with all Orthos, I think that's why this amp was designed in the first place. But If it's going to make LCD-2 too dark, then it's not really good news for me. Maybe I should consider Concerto? But is it that powerful to drive other Orthos like other Hifiman orthos? I don't know 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.