or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS. - Page 17

post #241 of 833

Awesome news, Jason. Will your DAC's be balanced?! (Of course, I am kidding. But rather excited by new Schiit to come, regardless. The Lyr is already playing its siren song. Excellent!)

post #242 of 833


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post

Hey all,

 

Just a quick update. 

 

First, K1000s. Kevin (kwkarth) was kind enough to loan us his K1000s for several days of listening. Once I pried the K1000s off Mike's head, I can now confirm: the Lyr/K1000 pairing isn't just good in theory--it's great in fact. There's more than enough volume and headroom, and Lyr's basic character (tonally honest, dynamic, and transparent) comes through loud and clear with the K1000s. Of course, you will need a 4-pin to 1/4" converter, but those are pretty common.

 

(and yeah, I know, we need to do a balanced amp with 4-pin connector)

 

Second, production update: March 1 is looking solid. The chassis came in today, which was the bugaboo on the last intro (Valhalla)--so I'm thrilled to say this metal is perfect! There are a few other pacing items, but most of the scary deadline-destroying stuff is done.

 

Third, K701s. One of my favorite headphones, and Lyr is a scarily good match. It turns the K701 into one of the most naturally dynamic and resolving conventional designs available. Failing that, try the K701s with Valhalla. Yes, Valhalla. Yes, I know it makes no sense. But it works.

 

Fourth, Asgard. It's now back in stock, if anyone is interested, and incorporates the new transformer and mounting process to eliminate the mechanical hum noted by 6moons.

 

Fifth, DACs. Mike made me promise not to set a date, nor reveal any details. But remember, this is the guy who launched the entire category of standalone DACs, the first to use custom digital filter code, the first to concentrate on measuring and minimizing jitter, the first with upgradable products . . . bottom line, if you need a DAC tomorrow, don't look at us, but they will be worth the wait. IMO. YMMV. And other disclaimers.

I am already waiting to get my hands on a Lyr to run my Hifiman HE6's.  I also own some K702's so now also looking forward to seeing how they go too.  And did I also say that I need a DAC?  You are killing me.  :-) When can I sign up?  I am happy to pre-order now. 
 

post #243 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post

 

Fifth, DACs. Mike made me promise not to set a date, nor reveal any details. But remember, this is the guy who launched the entire category of standalone DACs, the first to use custom digital filter code, the first to concentrate on measuring and minimizing jitter, the first with upgradable products . . . bottom line, if you need a DAC tomorrow, don't look at us, but they will be worth the wait. IMO. YMMV. And other disclaimers.



Would it be possible to hope for a DC-coupled discrete analogue stage for the DAC at your price point? cool.gif

post #244 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson_smith View Post

Awesome news, Jason. Will your DAC's be balanced?! 

X2. I want balanced. Anyway, good to see that the Lyr is on track. I can't wait to hear it a the next meet.

post #245 of 833

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer930 View Post

I am already waiting to get my hands on a Lyr to run my Hifiman HE6's.  I also own some K702's so now also looking forward to seeing how they go too.  And did I also say that I need a DAC?  You are killing me.  :-) When can I sign up?  I am happy to pre-order now. 


Just follow the first link in the OP, you can easily pre-order there.

post #246 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 


Just follow the first link in the OP, you can easily pre-order there.



 



Already done that on day one just after Christmas. I am now hanging out to order a Schiit dac. I want the full Schiit! :-)

 

post #247 of 833

How about making a one box solution? Say a reference grade DAC coupled with a 5 watt balanced amp and 4 pin XLR output. Price it at $1500. I even have an idea for the name...the Storm. The Schiit Storm.biggrin.gif

post #248 of 833

If they come out with a Yggdrasil or Ragnarök I might have to buy it the name alone, no matter what it is...

 

Yggdrasil fits in more with the "place names" theme they have going though.  It would be a good name for an all-in-one unit.  The DAC doesn't necessarily have to follow the naming convention for the amps though.  If they name the DAC Ragnarök I will probably completely lose control of my wallet.

post #249 of 833

What about a Yog-Sothoth, or Cthulhu?  biggrin.gif

post #250 of 833

That would be epic.  Continuing the place theme I think we need a Miskatonic, Innsmouth, or Yith.

post #251 of 833

I like this name, Thor would be proud!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckonsound View Post

How about making a one box solution? Say a reference grade DAC coupled with a 5 watt balanced amp and 4 pin XLR output. Price it at $1500. I even have an idea for the name...the Storm. The Schiit Storm.biggrin.gif

post #252 of 833
I still like Yggdrasil. It would be the opposite of the AMB problem, instead of difficult to type, easy to pronounce, it could be easy to type, difficult to pronounce.
post #253 of 833

Back from the woods... and I find this new piece of gear. Very tempting. However, I've just had a quick read through the 17 posts and I'm a tad confused. I thought that the LCD-2s needed a high-current amp, yet Jason seems to be stressing this amp's virtues in regard to voltage.

 

I would want to use the pre-outs as 'pass-through' only so the unit wouldn't make its stamp on the sound quality in the audio chain. If the pre-outs carry amplified signal, then why bother? I would think that the signal would come into the line-level inputs of an pre-amplifier/ integrated amp too hot.

 

UPDATE: But work well with powered monitors or feeding a power amp.

 

Valves/tubes. Bummer (for me) the unit isn't a super-duper version of the solid state Asgard - now that could be a giant killer. Jason said something like it was hard to get the Lyr's current to a sufficient level to maintain pure class 'A' using tubes. I repeat, an ass-kicking version of the Asgard would do nicely for we solid-state folk. Perhaps that too is "in the works".

 

UPDATE: Dumbo me didn't read the 'Frequently asked questions' section relating to the Lyr on the Schiit website which states:

 

"Sorry, gotta use more engineering-speak here. We chose to use tubes for voltage gain because they allow us to use a single stage to deliver huge voltage swing at low distortion without feedback. The JFETs we use in Asgard would go “pop” in a big hurry if we used them here. Yeah, we tried high-voltage BJTs, but they didn’t sound as good. Yeah, we’re playing with depletion-mode MOSFETs, but they’re noisy. Sorry guys, in this case, tubes are best for the design, so that’s what we went with. Also, you can change ‘em up...."


Edited by gogogasgas - 1/30/11 at 4:00pm
post #254 of 833

I am in market for a hybrid for akg k702 as I have been told if I want to go with a tube amp best is to go hybrid as for my price range tube alone for k702 is not possible. Anyone tried this with k702? Curious to find out. 

post #255 of 833

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

I am in market for a hybrid for akg k702 as I have been told if I want to go with a tube amp best is to go hybrid as for my price range tube alone for k702 is not possible. Anyone tried this with k702? Curious to find out. 


I don't think anyone other than Jason and Mike have yet had the pleasure of hearing this amp with the K701/2 -- the amp's not scheduled to be released until March 1.

 

Actually if you're considering this amp (priced at $449) for the K701/2, the Schiit Valhalla is an OTL tube amp that is a pretty good match for the K701/2, and it's actually priced lower, at only $349.  Just another option to consider.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.