Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Amp for around $50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp for around $50

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, I'm looking for an inexpensive amp to drive my m-audio q40s. Ive read a lot on portable amps, but I'm not sure which ones fit me best. I got an amazon card for christmas, so I figured I use it on an amp. I dont really want to go any more expensive unless its really worth it, because I wouldnt buy an amp otherwise (and im a poor college student :P). So my question is should I even get an amp for the q40s and what would fit me best around $50 or within a reasonable jump from there if i should get one. I listen to a wide variety, but mostly hiphop, rap, dubstep, and stuff like john mayer or elliott smith. I listen mostly from my laptop (alienware m11x) and, once in a blue moon, my ipod classic. thanks in advance!

post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by afinch1992 View Post

Hey guys, I'm looking for an inexpensive amp to drive my m-audio q40s. Ive read a lot on portable amps, but I'm not sure which ones fit me best. I got an amazon card for christmas, so I figured I use it on an amp. I dont really want to go any more expensive unless its really worth it, because I wouldnt buy an amp otherwise (and im a poor college student :P). So my question is should I even get an amp for the q40s and what would fit me best around $50 or within a reasonable jump from there if i should get one. I listen to a wide variety, but mostly hiphop, rap, dubstep, and stuff like john mayer or elliott smith. I listen mostly from my laptop (alienware m11x) and, once in a blue moon, my ipod classic. thanks in advance!


you can get a prebuilt cmoy amp w bass boost on ebay for about $50 or a used total airhead for about $40
 

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 

do you think they would improve the q40s very much?

post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 

I'm really just looking for what I can get through amazon too. I'm not completely sold on getting an amp, but I figured this was a good opportunity to get one

post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 

bump

post #6 of 22

Try a FiiO E5 at $20.00.  I have been an audiophile for many years with mucho dollars in stereo equipment and I was really impressed with what this little thing could do.  If you decide to upgrade you should easily be able to sell it on eBay for a couple of dollars less than you pay for it.

post #7 of 22

Chinook9 is correct, the FiiO E5 is perfect for what your looking for. I can pretty much get what I want, but the E5 is VERY good for it's size and price. I've had Cmoys and the E7, but always go back to the E5. Pretty good battery, good sound,

and great bass. It's really small, so I go running with it when I work out and I am not dragging around lots of equipment. For $15.00-$20.00 bucks, you can't go wrong.


Edited by ZV3 - 12/26/10 at 7:31pm
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 

thanks for the replies! I was actually looking at the e5, but I wanted to get some outside opinions before I pulled the trigger. Should be on its way soon!

post #9 of 22

I'm pretty sure the ONLY amp less than 50 dollars is the E5... or some cheapskate CMOY amp

post #10 of 22

The upcoming SoundMagic A10 should be around your budget.

post #11 of 22

I recently replaced my e5 with a PA2V2, which runs about 50 bucks, although not available on amazon.  Just an FYI for future reference.

post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 

I actually just emailed the guy that makes them to get one ordered! Its $60 shipped. I will more than likely order one tomorrow

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by afinch1992 View Post

I actually just emailed the guy that makes them to get one ordered! Its $60 shipped. I will more than likely order one tomorrow



You really won't go wrong with Gary's amp, I upgraded from it to a stepdance and thought Garys amp was more than good enough to not bother with gradual upgrading, He is a great guy to deal with as well!

post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 

just a quick question before i order. would this be good with the beyer dt770 80ohms too? Those are probably going to be my next purchase

post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by afinch1992 View Post

just a quick question before i order. would this be good with the beyer dt770 80ohms too? Those are probably going to be my next purchase



I would think so! This amp drove quite well my 701's which are quite difficult to drive properly it also drove my 100 ohm Etymotic ER4S's with great control, I found the amp to have a warmer signature which made long listening sessions a pleasure. The Gain controls are very easy to set once you unscrew the case, just experiment with them once you have the phones connected, Gary will give you good instruction on that if you ask him.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Amp for around $50