Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › For those who are planning on getting Sennheiser HD598, DONT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For those who are planning on getting Sennheiser HD598, DONT - Page 2

post #16 of 105


 

Quote:

Not to be a pain, but I don't see the FiiO e7 or the hd598's in your sig so you are making some pretty bold claims there with apparently no real world knowledge of any of the products being discussed.  This is the a major problem with head-fi.  
 

The hd598's are pretty much a tweaked hd595 which is not known for needing an amp to sound great, so I don't really trust anything you just said.  



Yes it is a pain because what you could get with the HD595 connected straight to the DAP was mere 40% at best of their abilities when properly amped. Getting bass from the HD595 or HD598 is a simple trick. Put resistors in series with each channel. 75 ohms is a sweet spot IMHO but use amp first. With a right amp, there is no need to play with resistors unless you need huge amounts of boomy lows.


Edited by majkel - 12/25/10 at 3:19pm
post #17 of 105

i got my HD598 for about 100+ hours and i drive them with the E16 (E7+E9) and foobar2000. i found the sound awesome! When the HD598 out of box, i feel the same as u said, the bass of hd 598 is so weak, but now the bass becomes deep and elastic, and this not all about the amp, i pluge the 598 into my COWON S9 and they sound as good as they are on the E16.

post #18 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGoodman View Post

The E7 will not give you enough power to really show you what these cans can do. It will probably get you halfway there. For a portable amp, you would have to spend $200 or a little more to get the power needed to push these phones to their potential. You can get the Fiio E7 and E9 for $200, and you have a very powerful home amp, a DAC, and an OK  portable amp. The E7 and E9 will also make your other phones wound even better. 

 

Some phones really need an amp, and this is one of them. They sound like crap until you get some good power from a home amp like the E9 or even an old receiver, like RexAeterna mentioned above. A bonus with the receiver is that you get bass and treble knobs, multiple inputs and outputs, speaker outputs, and a built in phono preamp if you ever want a turntable. You can get a decent one for $50 off of craigslist usually.

 

Try some real power out, and tell us what you think.

 

Not to be a pain, but I don't see the FiiO e7 or the hd598's in your sig so you are making some pretty bold claims there with apparently no real world knowledge of any of the products being discussed.  This is the a major problem with head-fi.  
 

The hd598's are pretty much a tweaked hd595 which is not known for needing an amp to sound great, so I don't really trust anything you just said.  



How do you know that for sure about those 598's? Could be you're completely right about that, but I don't see one of them in your inventory. By the way, by not seeing it in your inventory, do I know for sure you don't have them then? Maybe you didn't update it, I can't be sure. Maybe you don't list amps there. Maybe a friend of yours have them and you do have experience with them.

 

I have the E7/9 (not 598's) and yeah, the amping is a big difference between those two. If 598's need decent amping to shine, haven't got a clue about that myself. 

 

But then, maybe I'm wrong, you talk about 598's and 595's, have you experienced them both, do you have as you describe it 'have real world knowledge' about them yourself? 

Not to pick a fight, but seriously, I read many mixed up things about the difference between 595 and 598, some say the new ones are way better, some say not.

post #19 of 105

All tests on Headroom are nearly identical and then you have the terrible housing Sennheiser keeps on using. The there are the impressions people have given. The 598 appears to be a slightly better version of the 595....which isn't saying much.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglover View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGoodman View Post

The E7 will not give you enough power to really show you what these cans can do. It will probably get you halfway there. For a portable amp, you would have to spend $200 or a little more to get the power needed to push these phones to their potential. You can get the Fiio E7 and E9 for $200, and you have a very powerful home amp, a DAC, and an OK  portable amp. The E7 and E9 will also make your other phones wound even better. 

 

Some phones really need an amp, and this is one of them. They sound like crap until you get some good power from a home amp like the E9 or even an old receiver, like RexAeterna mentioned above. A bonus with the receiver is that you get bass and treble knobs, multiple inputs and outputs, speaker outputs, and a built in phono preamp if you ever want a turntable. You can get a decent one for $50 off of craigslist usually.

 

Try some real power out, and tell us what you think.

 

Not to be a pain, but I don't see the FiiO e7 or the hd598's in your sig so you are making some pretty bold claims there with apparently no real world knowledge of any of the products being discussed.  This is the a major problem with head-fi.  
 

The hd598's are pretty much a tweaked hd595 which is not known for needing an amp to sound great, so I don't really trust anything you just said.  



How do you know that for sure about those 598's? Could be you're completely right about that, but I don't see one of them in your inventory. By the way, by not seeing it in your inventory, do I know for sure you don't have them then? Maybe you didn't update it, I can't be sure. Maybe you don't list amps there. Maybe a friend of yours have them and you do have experience with them.

 

I have the E7/9 (not 598's) and yeah, the amping is a big difference between those two. If 598's need decent amping to shine, haven't got a clue about that myself. 

 

But then, maybe I'm wrong, you talk about 598's and 595's, have you experienced them both, do you have as you describe it 'have real world knowledge' about them yourself? 

Not to pick a fight, but seriously, I read many mixed up things about the difference between 595 and 598, some say the new ones are way better, some say not.

post #20 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo1006 View Post

i got my HD598 for about 100+ hours and i drive them with the E16 (E7+E9) and foobar2000. i found the sound awesome! When the HD598 out of box, i feel the same as u said, the bass of hd 598 is so weak, but now the bass becomes deep and elastic, and this not all about the amp, i pluge the 598 into my COWON S9 and they sound as good as they are on the E16.

X2. I am just passing along what I have seen on head-fi about cans that sound like the OP described, with terrible bass and distortion. I have owned the Yuin PK1s that are high impedance (150 ohms) and they had only an average sound and would distort when you turned them up on an ipod, sansa fuze, or computer. However, when I plugged them into my cheap CD player/receiver with its powerful headphone jack, they really came alive with much more bass, wider soundstage, and overall better sound. As for the HD598's sounding good out of the Cowon S9, the Cowon players have pretty good amps built into them. Maybe you could get away with using the Fiio E7, but I still think they would improve more with the E9.  

post #21 of 105


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkel View Post


 

Quote:

Not to be a pain, but I don't see the FiiO e7 or the hd598's in your sig so you are making some pretty bold claims there with apparently no real world knowledge of any of the products being discussed.  This is the a major problem with head-fi.  
 

The hd598's are pretty much a tweaked hd595 which is not known for needing an amp to sound great, so I don't really trust anything you just said.  



Yes it is a pain because what you could get with the HD595 connected straight to the DAP was mere 40% at best of their abilities when properly amped. Getting bass from the HD595 or HD598 is a simple trick. Put resistors in series with each canal. 75 ohms is a sweet spot IMHO but use amp first. With a right amp, there is no need to play with resistors unless you need huge amounts of boomy lows.


Do you have a link with instructions on how to do this mod?

post #22 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGoodman View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by leo1006 View Post

i got my HD598 for about 100+ hours and i drive them with the E16 (E7+E9) and foobar2000. i found the sound awesome! When the HD598 out of box, i feel the same as u said, the bass of hd 598 is so weak, but now the bass becomes deep and elastic, and this not all about the amp, i pluge the 598 into my COWON S9 and they sound as good as they are on the E16.

X2. I am just passing along what I have seen on head-fi about cans that sound like the OP described, with terrible bass and distortion. I have owned the Yuin PK1s that are high impedance (150 ohms) and they had only an average sound and would distort when you turned them up on an ipod, sansa fuze, or computer. However, when I plugged them into my cheap CD player/receiver with its powerful headphone jack, they really came alive with much more bass, wider soundstage, and overall better sound. As for the HD598's sounding good out of the Cowon S9, the Cowon players have pretty good amps built into them. Maybe you could get away with using the Fiio E7, but I still think they would improve more with the E9.  

yes! i totally agree that. when i set the BBE EQ on the S9,the sound out of HD598 is getting even better than it on the Fiios, the HD598 is very easy to drive full size headphones,  i think they do not really need amps. i am very intresting in PK1 as well, i decide to purchase one pair for myself.
 


Edited by leo1006 - 12/24/10 at 2:51pm
post #23 of 105

You can just buy a ER-4P to ER-4S converter cable. That's 75 ohms in series.

Or: Buy an HD555, pretty cheap eh? Open it up, pull out a piece of foam and (apparently) you have yourself an HD595, which is just a "slightly not tweaked" version of HD598 (that's what this thread said, hey), minus the looks.

post #24 of 105

I couldn't imagine hearing distortion with my 595s! Then again, I'm the type of person who never turns up the volume on his E7 past 7/60 and my E5 spent most of its time on the lowest possible setting. 

 

As for the "lack" of bass, I've always considered that to be a feature...

post #25 of 105

Frankly, I don't really trust the OP's judgement here. He sounds like a bass freak to me, and that isn't what upper echelon Senn phones are about. I would even go so far as to say they're not about "electronica/regae/rock/blues", but about the natural, open reproduction of acoustic instruments in jazz and classical. For the type of music mentioned, there are many more suitable cans, many of them cheaper.    


Edited by pp312 - 12/25/10 at 4:43am
post #26 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

Frankly, I don't really trust the OP's judgement here. He sounds like a bass freak to me, and that isn't what upper echelon Senn phones are about. I would even go so far as to say they're not about "electronica/regae/rock/blues", but about the natural, open reproduction of acoustic instruments in jazz and classical. For the type of music mentioned, there are many more suitable cans, many of them cheaper.    



 I agree, im coming over from car audio and i can say im a basshead but that doesnt mean ill shoot down a certain headphone for what its not made for, there are bassy headphones and headphones that are made for a different music spectrum.

post #27 of 105
I tried the hd598 in different settings (ipad, udac 2 off laptop and ipad, receiver in pure audio mode, ...) and it produces mixed results, especially on low frequencies.

Despite the 50 ohm spec, my experience is that you need a decent amp to get the bass right on these cans. I ordered a tube headphone/preamp to complement my udac 2 for this reason.

A review based on a single setup can be very misleading.
post #28 of 105

I don't know how much bass OP is trying to pump out of his/her HD598, but as a user of the HD595 (assuming that characteristics are similar), you have to either be playing these cans at a high volume (quite a pressure level on the ears) or you have to EQ the phones with about +20dB around the 30-100Hz mark with a lower volume than the afore-mentioned - in both these instances you can feel the cans shaking from the bass, so you know you're getting close to its limit.  These are the only times I am able reproduce the bass distortion on the HD595's.  It seems like OP is trying to produce bass levels such as that of the IE8 IEM's which really is not what these cans are for.

 

I would be surprised if the HD598's were able to cope with less bass than the HD595's, considering the extra price and the marketing ploy of a higher number.  I also suggest OP to take care of their hearing.


Edited by NullZero - 12/25/10 at 1:34pm
post #29 of 105

I've got the HD558 and the HD25 too and the op is right, but it's only natural that the HD25s bass is better, punchier and tighter. The HD558/598 are open cans, and bass is one of their weak points. Coherence and soundstage are quite good, OTOH.

post #30 of 105

ill be getting these cans with the nuforce icon mobile using an ipod nano.hopefully itll sound good

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › For those who are planning on getting Sennheiser HD598, DONT